"stunningly homely" ;D

Nice Jaimoe
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jaimoe

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 26, 2011, 01:41 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on May 26, 2011, 01:36 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 26, 2011, 01:34 PM
Quote from: rincon on May 26, 2011, 01:20 PM
Regardless of whether she is talented or not, it is only her SECOND album.At least Madonna had about 4 or 5 before she hit the stratosphere of celebrity.

incorrect

Madonna hit the stratosphere in 1985 when she released Like a Virgin (her 2nd album). Use the logic of it being the pre-internet days and she was as big as you could get.

I mean, if you YouTube yourself farting in a remotely funny way you can be huge these days.  ;)

You beat me to the punch my 1960s-born sibling (I believe we are roughly the same age?). She was big with her first album, but blew-up huge when Like a Virgin dropped.

1964 baby.

And I recall hating madonna with a passion in the 80's. I was much more full of false bravado back then (and a metal head!).

1968! I also hated Madonna with a passion in the '80s, then grew to respect her in the '90s, then moved on to indifference in the 2000s; now, I just can't stand what she's become. In politics, you'd call it "flip-flop", but that's ok since flip-flop can reflect growth. Still, her career is impressive.

MarkW

Quote from: Ruckus on May 26, 2011, 01:43 PM
"stunningly homely" ;D

Nice Jaimoe

Definite BOBFOC
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

rincon

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 26, 2011, 01:34 PM
Quote from: rincon on May 26, 2011, 01:20 PM
Regardless of whether she is talented or not, it is only her SECOND album.At least Madonna had about 4 or 5 before she hit the stratosphere of celebrity.

incorrect

Madonna hit the stratosphere in 1985 when she released Like a Virgin (her 2nd album). Use the logic of it being the pre-internet days and she was as big as you could get.

I mean, these days, if you YouTube yourself farting in a remotely funny way you can become a huge star.  ;)
Yeah, I remember all that too. The difference is she was on the same level as Prince and Michael Jackson,(All three were born in the same summer) so she did not stick out as much, as Lady Gaga seems to have the limelight almost to herself. I think after 4 or 5 albums Madonna was clearly bigger than the other 2.I ignored her until I heard Ray of Light. That is a great album, and she can actually sing.

el_chode

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 26, 2011, 09:54 AM
Quote from: el_chode on May 26, 2011, 09:35 AM
I give her credit for at least doing her own thing and (I believe) composing her own music. But at the same time, stop being preachy and weird for the sake of weird. At some point it's more "HEY EVERYONE! LOOK AT ME! I'M SO UNIQUE!" than anything inspiring.

I agree with the latter. At some point she'll have to tone it down. I think some of the hiding she does (behind makeup, wigs, costumes and glasses) comes because she is stunningly homely, and knows it. I don't think she writes much of her own stuff, but has control over the production. She surrounds herself with top producers and writers much like Madonna has done for the better part of 30 years.

Nothing wrong with using producers to help fine-tune your music at all. But in the same way I don't respect Slipknot, regardless of their music (which sucks, incidentally) because they hid behind an image, the same goes for her. There's Jim wearing a cape over his head weird, and there's a dress made of salami and fake cheekbones attention whoring that really gets my goat.
I'm surrounded by assholes

kotchishm

I'll quote Mr. James:

"It seems like so much shit rises to the top thanks to brilliant marketing, while the real players are striving to just make ends meet. The music scene is truly, absolutely 100 percent fucked in that way."

Thread over.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

capt. scotty

Quote from: rincon on May 26, 2011, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I remember all that too. The difference is she was on the same level as Prince and Michael Jackson,(All three were born in the same summer) so she did not stick out as much, as Lady Gaga seems to have the limelight almost to herself. I think after 4 or 5 albums Madonna was clearly bigger than the other 2.I ignored her until I heard Ray of Light. That is a great album, and she can actually sing.

Madonna is not bigger than Michael Jackson except for maybe the early 90s when she peaked and he was fondling 8 year olds
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

Quote from: Ruckus on May 26, 2011, 01:43 PM
"stunningly homely" ;D

Nice Jaimoe

::)  Except she's really not.

Love her, love love love.  Y'all can suck it.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Tracy 2112

Yeah, I remember all that too. The difference is she was on the same level as Prince and Michael Jackson,(All three were born in the same summer) so she did not stick out as much, as Lady Gaga seems to have the limelight almost to herself. I think after 4 or 5 albums Madonna was clearly bigger than the other 2.

Madonna clearly bigger than Michael Jackson? Never. I don't think anyone has ever gotten bigger than Michael Jackson.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

Quote from: el_chode on May 26, 2011, 03:02 PM
I give her credit for at least doing her own thing and (I believe) composing her own music. But at the same time, stop being preachy and weird for the sake of weird. At some point it's more "HEY EVERYONE! LOOK AT ME! I'M SO UNIQUE!" than anything inspiring.

I agree with the latter. At some point she'll have to tone it down. I think some of the hiding she does (behind makeup, wigs, costumes and glasses) comes because she is stunningly homely, and knows it. I don't think she writes much of her own stuff, but has control over the production. She surrounds herself with top producers and writers much like Madonna has done for the better part of 30 years.

Nothing wrong with using producers to help fine-tune your music at all. But in the same way I don't respect Slipknot, regardless of their music (which sucks, incidentally) because they hid behind an image, the same goes for her. There's Jim wearing a cape over his head weird, and there's a dress made of salami and fake cheekbones attention whoring that really gets my goat.

At least for some, hiding worked quite well: KISS, David Bowie, Alice Cooper to today's Buckethead. I agree that at some point you gotta give it up such as Elton John did when he purged his ridiculous costumes in the '80s (although his music began sucking in  the late '70s).

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 26, 2011, 05:07 PM

At least for some, hiding worked quite well: KISS, David Bowie, Alice Cooper to today's Buckethead. I agree that at some point you gotta give it up such as Elton John did when he purged his ridiculous costumes in the '80s (although his music began sucking in  the late '70s).

No one seems to be mad at GWAR

Jaimoe

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 26, 2011, 05:09 PM

or Culture Club.

Taterbug

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 26, 2011, 05:09 PM

GG Allin & The Toilet Rockers  Hated GWAR
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

capt. scotty

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 26, 2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I remember all that too. The difference is she was on the same level as Prince and Michael Jackson,(All three were born in the same summer) so she did not stick out as much, as Lady Gaga seems to have the limelight almost to herself. I think after 4 or 5 albums Madonna was clearly bigger than the other 2.

Madonna clearly bigger than Michael Jackson? Never. I don't think anyone has ever gotten bigger than Michael Jackson.

I feel honored you support an opinion of mine
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Tracy 2112

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 26, 2011, 05:18 PM

I feel honored you support an opinion of mine

Thanks (but I hate to see you lower your standards)

rincon

She continued to release music while he did not. After Bad he never had any real success. She may not be bigger in a historical sense, bur she was far more popular and relevant after the 80's. The last 15 or more years of his life he was a universal punch line.
Lewis Black has a joke where he says all you have to do to make a joke funny is have the punch line Michael Jackson. Now Lewis is a funny guy.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: rincon on May 26, 2011, 06:22 PM

After Bad he never had any real success.

Not any real success after Bad?

In 1991, Dangerous spent 4 weeks at #1 and has sold over 32 million copies.

2001's Invincible sold 13 million copies reaching #1 on the charts.

I dunno man, I'd say selling over 45 million records from 2 releases is pretty successful. I say, one day I hope to be as unsuccessful as post-Bad Micahel Jackson!  ;D

Jaimoe

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 26, 2011, 06:42 PM

After Bad he never had any real success.

Not any real success after Bad?

In 1991, Dangerous spent 4 weeks at #1 and has sold over 32 million copies.

2001's Invincible sold 13 million copies reaching #1 on the charts.

I dunno man, I'd say selling over 45 million records from 2 releases is pretty successful. I say, one day I hope to be as unsuccessful as post-Bad Micahel Jackson!  ;D

I'd say that he was still in full control over his powers, but even Bad was seen as a dropoff. MJ's albums and tours did do really well after Bad, but his creative peak was years behind him... although he really had no music rival so it didn't matter too much.

rincon

Well, I did not do sales research. All I know is after Bad he had no ubiquitous presence in the media that was not negative, or songs that someone like me who is not a fan  were overexposed to.

capt. scotty

She continued to release music while he did not. After Bad he never had any real success. She may not be bigger in a historical sense, bur she was far more popular and relevant after the 80's.

Yeah...MJ also had four #1 singles before Madonna was 12 years old. Nine #1 songs before Madonna had her first.

He's the freaking King Of Pop, man