Main Menu

Turntables

Started by MarkW, Jun 15, 2011, 07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

Dang it, HH, I was afraid you would say that... :wink: 

I think the Wharfedales will sound really good too, but I'm kind of obsessed with Magnepans right now.  The only thing is I'd be trading a more expensive Wharfedale for bottom-of-the-line Maggies.  I have a buddy that also has 3.6's and he just loves 'em.  I can't spare that kind of cash right now but I could get some MMGW or MMG's.  Ah, white people problems!  Feel free to PM me with any additional wisdom.
We could.

ralph

Picked up a Rega RP3 on the weekend. Sounds amazing! Finally have something to play the vinyl I've been buying...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

headhunter

Quote from: ralph on Jul 23, 2013, 08:42 PM
Picked up a Rega RP3 on the weekend. Sounds amazing! Finally have something to play the vinyl I've been buying...

NICE!!!   Rega makes an amazing line of TT's.  Reliable and always good.  Welcome to the good life.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

Hawkeye

Quote from: ralph on Jul 23, 2013, 08:42 PM

Nice Ralphie!!!  I've got an RP1.  Had it about 1.5 years so far.  No complaints, no issues.  Plug it in, turn it on...sounds great!  You will enjoy it, no doubt.  I will probably make some minor upgrades to this table before trying to upgrade all-together to a higher-end Rega or something else.  Mine came with the Ortofon Red cartridge...might try out the Blue.

My speaker saga continues...I think I'll be getting the Wharfedales in a few weeks now but I couldn't wait...last night I traded in a Bose Wave Radio + $150 for some KEF Reference 103.2's.  Never heard of them until I came across them at the local pawn shop.  Apparently they're very well-regarded...they do sound really good!  I need to get some stands for them...they're just sitting on the floor for now, but they sound much better when lifted.  At some point I will have the tweeters fixed...apparently they have a ferrofluid inside that dries up...supposedly refilling these will make them sound like new again.  May re-cap the crossovers and touch up the cabinet too.  Good "project" speakers.  Also should be getting my 8" hand-built subwoofer today...came as a package deal with the Wharfedales.

Should we rename this the HiFi thread?  I'm kinda hi-jacking it  :evil:
We could.

ralph

Thanks guys, I'm enjoying it so far. Currently spinning Okonokos!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

rincon2

.If anyone in the Southern California area either wants an analog turntable, or finds one that needs some help this is THE place to go.
   http://www.patleaver.com
He will refurbish your turntable, or sell you a vintage one in brand new condition. He sold me this one, a late 70's Pioneer direct drive, for about the price I payed for the 4 record set in this picture, and I got this set for a pretty good price.

parkervb

Quote from: rincon2 on Jul 21, 2015, 12:20 AM
Maybe this is not the proper thread for this, but maybe it is. If anyone in the Southern California area either wants an analog turntable, or finds one that needs some help this is THE place to go.
   http://www.patleaver.com
He will refurbish your turntable, or sell you a vintage one in brand new condition. He sold me this one, a late 70's Pioneer direct drive, for about the price I payed for the 4 record set in this picture, and I got this set for a pretty good price.

that's a gorgeous TT.  wow.
Don't you ever turn it off

HENRYH

As a turntable geek, I'm always interested in what other people are using to spin LPs. I got mine over 20 yrs ago, at a decent price, and have made a number of upgrades over the years. It's always fun to see the look on the face of the person who is listening to some music with an LP playing...

headhunter

Nothing better than a good TT.  I've had a couple of nice VPI's over the years but am very happy with my current brinkmann.

it won't be replaced anytime soon.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

HENRYH