Circuital Reviews

Started by mduda, May 14, 2011, 12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tieoptional

I don't think this has been posted yet:

http://www.gaslanternmedia.com/2011/06/vinyl-worthy-my-morning-jacket.html

Good read. Concluding paragraphs:

"Because Evil Urges must have been a process of taking new, somewhat awkward steps as a band, it tested the Jacket's sound for a new sonic climate (year 2010, when niche became everything. I'm looking at you chillwave.) If not for this decision, the band might well have accepted a stagnant sound, and Circuital would be part of their falling action. Now, it seems like the beginning of a new ascent.

"Circuital hints at continued transformation that began before Evil Urges. As a devout My Morning Jacket fan, I am content to let them progress as they will, especially if they continue to deliver the goods in concert. However, this album brightens my view of their future relevancy. It's clear the band decided their emo-Allman Brothers sound expired sometime during It Still Moves and Z. They, especially Jim, have explored several avenues since then, and it makes sense that Circuital doesn't sound completely settled. They are still growing as a band. My Morning Jacket is not a flashy new outfit you hustle to a thrift store after one summer, they are your favorite hoodie from college that has worn well and will be worn well for a while yet to come."
The river's long... it is cold. It chills the body but not the soul.

ryno2133

ResonantPassage Indie Music Blog
www.resonantpassage.net

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

WhereILived

Quote from: Ruckus on May 28, 2011, 09:31 PM
Quote from: Dillsnufus on May 28, 2011, 02:08 AM
http://www.gq.com/entertainment/music/201106/my-morning-jacket-jim-james-interview

"My Morning Jacket has been the most powerful live rock 'n' roll outfit for a while now, and the band's best record was the two-disc concert album Okonokos.... Until now."

>Geez
Finally a reviewer that smelled out the Ramones from Outta My System.  Everyone I talked to and every review was Beach Boys this, Beach Boys that when everything from the melody, chord changes and particularly Jim's voice screams the Ramones.  I love the beat and sounds that tickle through that song but someone help me...those lyrics :embarassed:

So funny that I just read this. I had this exact thought the other day. I was driving around and singing-along and caught myself in a  low-Ramonesesque-punctuated harmonization. I thought I was crazy but I guess others hear it too  :)

johnnYYac

I've listend to it as leaked mp3s, streaming online, the official mp3 release, CD, in the car, at work, in the kitchen, on the 7.1 system, through headphones, on an iPod mowing the lawn, but now... for the first time in 20 years, on my own (cheap!) turntable, I listen to vinyl and it is good.  Circuital is good.  Life is good.  I'm gonna need a better turntable. ;)