Main Menu

alabama shakes

Started by ironmike, Oct 19, 2011, 04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 13, 2012, 11:33 AM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
They killed it on Letterman last night... and Dave seemed to be pretty impressed as well.
Damn, missed this.  If someone finds the clip, post a link... Nevermind, just watched the end of the episode.  They're still putting Hold On out there, but a great performance.

My husband - the nonlover of music -  was impressed last night when the band that I drug him to was on Letterman last night. I tried to tell him. I've just about given up. He's a lost cause at least where music is concerned.

capt. scotty

In an amittedly weak 2012 for me so far, after just a few listens this is easily my AOTY  :thumbsup:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Murph

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 15, 2012, 12:20 AM
:o

More later...
A great show, perfect first concert for my daughter.  Katherine had the best spot in the house- on the rail right up front and center!  I think she was mighty tired by the end, but I know she had a great time. 

Lee Bains III and The Glory Fires was fun but the mix was harsh; thank goodness for earplugs.  When the Shakes came on, the earplugs got put away ('cept for Katherine's).  Brittany's performance was phenomenal!  Like Jim, she gets deep within herself when she sings and it takes the music to a higher place.  Her band is tight and the keyboardist joining them on tour might have a permanent job, I'm thinking.

It was a short set by our standards, but perfect for having one of my girls rockin' past her bedtime.  Quantity of songs low, but quality of performance very high!

After the show, glad Katherine missed the profanity-ladden drunk blonde next to us, we went around back to find Brittany enjoying a smoke (?).  She was happy to hand the cig to a pal to talk with Katherine, take a couple of photos, and sign a poster the folks at Higher Ground gave away.

Huge props to Bruce from Albany.  He was to our right on the rail all night and got both the poster and Brittany's set list for Katherine.  A lot of nice people helped me make this a special night.  It was great to hear so many remind my daughter that she has a "really cool dad."

Katherine and Bruce on the rail.

Also nice to see Joey Rogo and his pal Alex.  We met in Burlington for a Jacket show on Joey's birthday in 2010 and have crossed paths at a number of shows since.  Sorry I missed the world record setting cowbell event in Burlington earlier that afternoon, but great to see familiar, friendly faces. 

One last note before I post some more pics.  I mentioned to Brittany after the show how I had first heard of the Shakes on the MMJ forum.  She thought I was saying I had heard about Alabama Shakes from My Morning Jacket themselves!  She clearly worships MMJ, as she has stated in interviews.  I think I clarified and mentioned she'd get her chance to share her love of MMJ when they're both playing Newport Folk Fest.  She said, "We are?  And MMJ are gonna be there?  We were wondering if we could get tickets."  I told her I think she might want to think about what song she wants to duet with Jim instead.  I think I blew her mind!

iLikeBeer

Good stuff Johnny!  Katherine looks like she very much enjoyed her first show!  How old is she now?  Just wondering because I've been contemplating breaking in my twins to a show who are currently 8.

johnnYYac

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Apr 15, 2012, 02:15 PM
Good stuff Johnny!  Katherine looks like she very much enjoyed her first show!  How old is she now?  Just wondering because I've been contemplating breaking in my twins to a show who are currently 8.
Katherine is 10.  I brought her sister, Maddie, to Newport in 2010, where she met Jim, when she was 6, but that ends in the early evening.  This show ended before 11, but Katherine is usually in bed by 8:30-9.  She was mighty tired towards the end, and I thought we might be leaving early, but the main set ended and the encore gave her a second wind.  I suppose it depends on who, were, and when.

Fully

What great pictures! Katherine is a doll. I love that you had a father/daughter night with just her. She'll always remember this one. Also, love that you introduced her to Brittany. Thanks for sharing your night with us!

Tracy 2112

very cool jyyacc; the world needs more cool dads

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Super duper cool dad 8)  Your daughter seems wise and mature beyond her years.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

There's no doubting that 10 yrs from now she'll look at that pic and think that her Dad is definitely one of the good ones...my dad listens to basically elevator jazz and took me to see Gallagher when I was 10...my dad is cool but not that cool.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Tracy 2112

Quote from: wolof7 on Apr 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
There's no doubting that 10 yrs from now she'll look at that pic and think that her Dad is definitely one of the good ones...my dad listens to basically elevator jazz and took me to see Gallagher when I was 10...my dad is cool but not that cool.

My dad took me to see a barbershop quartet competition when I was 10    :-\  :-\  :-\  :-\  :-\  :-\  :-\  :-\  :-\  :-\  :-\

something along these lines:

Coney Island Baby - The Quadraphonics

capt. scotty

Its a tight race, but YacAttack early leader for dad o' the year 2012

So when are the Shakes doing SNL? #popcorn
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

headhunter

cool story John and great pictures.  Hope she remembers this one until she is your age!
was some shakin' and some record playin'

mahg33ta

Great show.  Definitely met my high expectations.   As fun as I've had in a while and SO glad I went.  Part of me thought "wait till Newport" but I can't see them replicating the vibe we had going on Mon night in a small bar again.   Brittany is great fun to watch.    Zach (what is he called here, zeebz?) and I were the first two in the door and were directly in front of her the whole time.   Couldn't stop watching her.   Here is a pic below - we are on the far left (I had vacated the rail to let that photographer shoot pics.   First time I had not worn a red sox or orioles hat to a concert in 20 years I think)
The song Always Alright is my early contender for Song of the Year, and it's not even on the album.   It brought the house down and when they finished the place just would not stop cheering.   The band clearly loves and is floored by the love they are getting from the crowd-  Brittany said "what the fuck just happened?" with a huge grin.   Fun to see them riding the wave of success and how could you not root for them?

Zeebz

I haven't been to as many shows as maybe some of you have, but that show was absolutely top three for me.  the energy was just unreal!

Tracy 2112

Quote from: mahg33ta on Apr 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
The band clearly loves and is floored by the love they are getting from the crowd-  Brittany said "what the fuck just happened?" with a huge grin.   Fun to see them riding the wave of success and how could you not root for them?

My thoughts exactly. It's nice to see a bands reaction when they are first experiencing some widespread love for their tunes. It's rare to catch it, but when you do, it's pure magic.

mahg33ta

I had also read from previous reviews that they play a cover of How Many More Times.   As one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands, I definitely wanted to hear this.  Unfortunately, they seem to be playing it less and less lately, as they have a full-set of their own stuff finally.   I was worried I missed it and was praying to catch it before it got retired for good.

So, given my prime placement 18" from the setlist, I wrote on the back of my eticket "How Many More Times" and slapped it right on the bottom of the setlist before they finished their last song.   When Brittany noticed it she did a double take and cracked a huge smile.   Zach leaned over and said "well, at least we know she saw it" because her reaction was pretty special.     So I was extra pumped when they busted it out to end the show.   

I can't say 100% they wouldn't have played it anyway, but I'm pretty sure.   They did a 3 song encore before that and it felt like they were pretty much done (Brittany put her shoes on, lol).    Anyway, it's my story and I'm going to carry around the thought that she played it for me.    They did play it in Philly but I'm not sure they have anywhere else recently.

capt. scotty

Quote from: mahg33ta on Apr 17, 2012, 11:20 AM

So, given my prime placement 18" from the setlist, I wrote on the back of my eticket "How Many More Times" and slapped it right on the bottom of the setlist before they finished their last song.   When Brittany noticed it she did a double take and cracked a huge smile.   Zach leaned over and said "well, at least we know she saw it" because her reaction was pretty special.     So I was extra pumped when they busted it out to end the show.   

I can't say 100% they wouldn't have played it anyway, but I'm pretty sure.   They did a 3 song encore before that and it felt like they were pretty much done (Brittany put her shoes on, lol).    Anyway, it's my story and I'm going to carry around the thought that she played it for me.    They did play it in Philly but I'm not sure they have anywhere else recently.

Rampant badassery!  :bath:

oistheone

Niiiiice work! That's taking a song request to the next level. I always appreciate those who think outside the box. Hopefully they've got it on the printed setlist for tonight, otherwise, I'm gonna have to pull a mahg33ta.