Newport Folk Festival 2012: July 28 & July 29

Started by mahg33ta, Feb 02, 2012, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre_GivenToFly

So who wants to finance my trip to Newport this year?
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

bold992006

This lineup is so good.  Two of my favorite more local bands Brown Bird and Joe Fletcher too.  Oh and Spider John Koerner.

bold992006

Quote from: mahg33ta on Feb 29, 2012, 09:30 PM
sorry to repost basically with nothing new to say, but i am absolutely floored.    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this lineup.    I was supposed to be at the party but was on the train somewhere between providence and boston (thank you amtrak and bad weather) when this went down.   This made my day.

Bands I am STOKED to see in bold (and the rest not bolded mostly because I'm just not familiar)

My Morning Jacket
Jackson Brown
Conor Oberst
New Multitudes
Carl Broemel
Ben Sollee

Sara Watkins
Punch Brothers
Guthrie Family Reunion
Patty Griffin
Iron and Wine
The Head and The Heart
Dawes
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Deer Tick

City and Colour
The Tallest Man on Earth
TuneYards
Tom Morello
Trampled by Turtles
Alabama Shakes
Gary Clark Jr.

Of Monsters and Men
Blind Pilot
First Aid Kit
Sharon Van Etten
Charles Bradley
Brown Bird
Johnny Corndawg

Jonathan Wilson
Spirit Family Reunion
Frank Fairfield
Robert Ellis
Kossoy Sisters
Berklee City Music Choir
Sleepy Man Banjo Boys
Honey Honey
Joe Fletcher
Joel Rafael
Spider John Koerner
Apache Relay

That's pretty much the best hit/miss ratio ever.   Booking hotel now.
I would do some research and check out Spider John Koerner.  The man is a legend...and everyone should see Charley Bradley's set.

e_wind

It really is an incredible line up. I hope to make this year my first NFF. Itd get quite expensive for me though with airfare and hotels and whatnot. I'm living in south America for awhile this summer so I wasn't planning on making any extra expensive trips but DAMN
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

I'm thinking my husband would be fine with me going. I talked about it with him this morning. I really want to go. I'm just going to have to spend a little time deciding. It is a great lineup.

marino13

Very tempted to go to this one instead of Forecastle.  My wife and I have never been to the Northeast.  Maybe do a day or two in NYC and then head up for two days of amazing music.  Going to sell the wife tonight.  Had her talked into Forecastle, but may change gears now.

Didn't see any comments yet on Punch Brothers.  Chris Thile is easily one of the best Mandolin players alive and a terrific performer.  I came across this video of them covering "Reptilia" by the Strokes a few weeks ago.

Punch Brothers - Reptilia

Jahmazed

Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 01, 2012, 06:55 AM
Quote from: wolof7 on Mar 01, 2012, 06:41 AM
HOLY SHIITTTTTTTT!!!!! This totally makes up for not being able to make Forecastle for me!

Honestly (and this may be met with scorn) but if I could only do one festival I would choose Newport over Forecastle based on the lineups and my musical tastes.

Agreed, I actually could only choose one and that's exactly what I did!    :thumbsup:

headhunter

Just purchased 2 day pass tickets.

Glad to be seeing the boys at NoLa Jazz Fest and Forecastle too but if I could only pick one, Newport Folk Fesitval would be it.

The best music fesitval in America!  imo.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: marino13 on Mar 01, 2012, 05:32 PM
Very tempted to go to this one instead of Forecastle.  My wife and I have never been to the Northeast.  Maybe do a day or two in NYC and then head up for two days of amazing music.  Going to sell the wife tonight.  Had her talked into Forecastle, but may change gears now.

Didn't see any comments yet on Punch Brothers.  Chris Thile is easily one of the best Mandolin players alive and a terrific performer.  I came across this video of them covering "Reptilia" by the Strokes a few weeks ago.

I cannot recommend Newport enough. I'd actually skip NYC and do 4 days in Newport. great town with amazing scenery and plenty to do on days there aren't any shows.

God damnit I want to go back  ;D

mahg33ta

Quote from: Jahmazed on Mar 01, 2012, 10:01 PM
HOLY SHIITTTTTTTT!!!!! This totally makes up for not being able to make Forecastle for me!

Honestly (and this may be met with scorn) but if I could only do one festival I would choose Newport over Forecastle based on the lineups and my musical tastes.

Agreed, I actually could only choose one and that's exactly what I did!    :thumbsup:

both are pretty much MMJ-curated but Forecastle has the added burden of trying to attract 30k people.   Newport only needs 10k and knows many show regardless of the lineup.   Lastly, bands there take huge pay cuts to play so the quality level is high for a "smaller" festival.

After a 24 hour cooling off period where I was considering skipping Forecastle due to the overlap in lineups and shit it will catch me on the home front, I've come to my senses and back to trying to pull off both.

headhunter

Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 02, 2012, 11:08 AM
Quote from: Jahmazed on Mar 01, 2012, 10:01 PM

both are pretty much MMJ-curated but Forecastle has the added burden of trying to attract 30k people.   Newport only needs 10k and knows many show regardless of the lineup.   Lastly, bands there take huge pay cuts to play so the quality level is high for a "smaller" festival.

After a 24 hour cooling off period where I was considering skipping Forecastle due to the overlap in lineups and shit it will catch me on the home front, I've come to my senses and back to trying to pull off both.
[/b]

That's what I like to hear!    :thumbsup:

marino13

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Mar 02, 2012, 10:10 AM

I cannot recommend Newport enough. I'd actually skip NYC and do 4 days in Newport. great town with amazing scenery and plenty to do on days there aren't any shows.

Thanks for the info.  My wife and I basically came to that conclusion last night.  She would really like to tour the mansions and check out the scenery.   We could always come back and focus on NYC another time.  Your post goes a long way to help confirm our thinking.  Our only stumbling block now is whether we are ready to leave our 2 yr. old daughter for that many nights.  She is extremely active and I'm not sure my parents could handle her for that long.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: marino13 on Mar 02, 2012, 11:53 AM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Mar 02, 2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the info.  My wife and I basically came to that conclusion last night.  She would really like to tour the mansions and check out the scenery.   We could always come back and focus on NYC another time.  Your post goes a long way to help confirm our thinking.  Our only stumbling block now is whether we are ready to leave our 2 yr. old daughter for that many nights.  She is extremely active and I'm not sure my parents could handle her for that long.

I did the mansions thing too while I was there. Quite interesting and impressive, but once you've seen 2 of them you've kind of got the idea and might not want to see more. The Cliff Walk they have is pretty fantastic, too. Oh and don't forget to check out Ocean Drive.

If you do end up having a couple days without shows in Rhode Island I'd highly recommend making the trip down to Block Island for a day. It's a small island about 15 miles off the coast of RI. Some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen.

br00ke

absolutely. the day i'm like "hrmm, i think i will do Forecastle" was the same day Newport lineup came out and yeah, i'm in it to win it with that one. Jazzfest > Newport. Not sure about Forecastle too though.

johnnYYac

For those with Daytrotter, they've set up a playlist for NFF 2012.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

bold992006

Wilco is playing the big Friday night show the night before the fest....holy shit this really can't get any better.

Jahmazed

Quote from: bold992006 on Apr 09, 2012, 10:44 PM
Wilco is playing the big Friday night show the night before the fest....holy shit this really can't get any better.

>>>holy shit this really can't get any better.

Haha that's exactly what i thought when I read that!

YouAre_GivenToFly

I'm going to have to stay away from computers during the time of NPP. Seriously bummed I'm going to miss this festival this year. Looking forward to Forecastle, but I'm not sure it gets any better than Newport.

headhunter

I've been going to the Newport Folk Fest off and on for 20 years.

This is hands-down the BEST lineup ever!!  Wilco at the fort on a Friday night before the fun starts on Sat & Sunday.    Wow, this one is really gonna be special.

Will need a vacation when it is over.

marino13

Quote from: headhunter on Apr 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
I've been going to the Newport Folk Fest off and on for 20 years.

This is hands-down the BEST lineup ever!!  Wilco at the fort on a Friday night before the fun starts on Sat & Sunday.    Wow, this one is really gonna be special.

Will need a vacation when it is over.

Do you know when the schedule typically comes out?  So many acts I want to see, I'm dreading the inevitable overlap.