Jim James and Jay Farrar of Son Volt Woody Guthrie album

Started by jimsflyingv, Feb 17, 2012, 02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ms. yvon

Quote from: ralph on Mar 13, 2012, 07:36 AM
Of Jays 'solo' stuff I'd head straight for Sebastopol.  Its a cracking record. After the UT records & Trace its probably the best thing Farrar has his name to. 
ralph, i love Sebastopol.  aside from uncle tupelo it was the first jay farrar album i heard.  it's terrific.  plus it's got gillian welch & david rawlings on it.  BONUS!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: sweatboard on Feb 21, 2012, 03:29 PM
So Changing World was the song Jim played with just bass at that X-mas show

Changing World is my favorite NM track so far. I love how Jim can take such basic bass lines and turn them into pure gold! I'm no expert, but it sounds similar to the way Outta My System was put together.
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

e_wind

im no guthrie fan, and im just now realizing that this album is all original scores. now im into it.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

I listened again this afternoon to New Mulititudes. I've listened to it several times, but I've always been a little distracted and couldn't really devote my attention to it. In the back of my mind, I've been aware that this is a good album; but today listening to it without any distractions, I was struck by how much I liked the entire album. I'm getting into it more the more times I listen to it.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rincon

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 18, 2012, 12:28 AM
Check out some recordings from the road.  Philly sounds amazing!

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/forum/index.php?topic=16280.0
Great link. I was totally blown away by Anders, and have been listening to whatever I can find of his. It is hard to find. Two songs have stood out for me. Tell it to the Dust, and Song. After listening to this show I realized those were the two songs he played. I wonder if I subconsciously remembered that, or if they are simply his best songs.