Main Menu

Honest Man

Started by Tracy 2112, Mar 14, 2012, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: zanjam on Mar 23, 2012, 01:30 AM
Quote from: Fully on Mar 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Mar 17, 2012, 10:50 AM
I listened to Evil Urges for the first time in awhile a couple days ago and I once again realized that all of it- even two halves- is great

I agree. I never understood all of the criticism of that album. And I have to say that I've always loved Highly Suspicious. The first time I heard it I thought it was hilarious and listening to it live, particularly when PHJB is playing with them, it just rocks. It is one of my favorite albums of the bands; but to be honest, I can't say that there is one of their albums that I dislike. There are a few songs. I loathe The Day is Coming because I think it sounds like stereotypical supermarket music and the lyrics are just boring. But that is probably the only song of MMJ's that I have a big problem with. The few others that I don't care for don't inspire that much passionate hate.

I SO don't get The Day Is Coming hatred.  I love love love love it.  Love it.  And love it some more.  But I put Highly Suspicious in a First Light category.  I can tolerate it, but it is certainly not my first choice of song.  Funny how peeps gravitate towards certain styles.  Day is Coming is up there for me!!

Fully, totally agree on Highly Suspicious.  One of their most unique songs.

And Jen, the Day Is Coming hatred is a lot more understandable than the lack of love for Honest Man.  Honest Man is like the same raw, heavy country/blues in the vein of "Yer Blues".  I couldn't love that song more. 
what Madonna said really helped

Tracy 2112

I grew up in Mississippi.

Honest Man isn't a blues song as much as it is someone trying to play a blues song.

Now, Phone Went West is a blues song!
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Fully

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Sep 10, 2012, 01:54 PM
Quote from: zanjam on Mar 23, 2012, 01:30 AM
Quote from: Fully on Mar 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Mar 17, 2012, 10:50 AM
I listened to Evil Urges for the first time in awhile a couple days ago and I once again realized that all of it- even two halves- is great

I agree. I never understood all of the criticism of that album. And I have to say that I've always loved Highly Suspicious. The first time I heard it I thought it was hilarious and listening to it live, particularly when PHJB is playing with them, it just rocks. It is one of my favorite albums of the bands; but to be honest, I can't say that there is one of their albums that I dislike. There are a few songs. I loathe The Day is Coming because I think it sounds like stereotypical supermarket music and the lyrics are just boring. But that is probably the only song of MMJ's that I have a big problem with. The few others that I don't care for don't inspire that much passionate hate.

I SO don't get The Day Is Coming hatred.  I love love love love it.  Love it.  And love it some more.  But I put Highly Suspicious in a First Light category.  I can tolerate it, but it is certainly not my first choice of song.  Funny how peeps gravitate towards certain styles.  Day is Coming is up there for me!!

Fully, totally agree on Highly Suspicious.  One of their most unique songs.

And Jen, the Day Is Coming hatred is a lot more understandable than the lack of love for Honest Man.  Honest Man is like the same raw, heavy country/blues in the vein of "Yer Blues".  I couldn't love that song more.
I didn't say that, someone cut off my comment. 😄 Edited - apparently  now that I'm on my computer I see that I did say it. (L O S E R)

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 10, 2012, 02:09 PM

Honest Man isn't a blues song as much as it is someone trying to play a blues song.

Phone Went West is a reggae song to me.  At least the live version is. 
what Madonna said really helped

Ruckus

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Sep 10, 2012, 02:45 PM

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Sep 10, 2012, 02:45 PM

Right!  :grin:

and Bob Marley was a pot smoking Rastafarian!  :grin:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

mahg33ta

That's how I feel.   It just doesn't do anything for me.   Seems so amateur-Blues ish.  But I appreciate that for many of you it's mindblowing.

Fully

Quote from: mahg33ta on Sep 10, 2012, 03:21 PM

That's how I feel.   It just doesn't do anything for me.   Seems so amateur-Blues ish.  But I appreciate that for many of you it's mindblowing.

I don't think it's great as far as being a blues song, but after I heard it at Red Rocks, I really don't care. That version made me feel things in dirty places.

Fully's list of dirty places - Her kids' rooms, her car, the kitty litter box....

rmpotsy

While At Dawn is on my list of best albums ever, there are days when I skip over the whole album just to hear Honest Man   :-\

i believe that is what you meant, right?  right?

i cannot get over the honest man dislike in this thread.  it is the ultimate monster live, unbelievably big and hard and loud and gritty and dirty and screamy.  probably my top 5 favorite songs to hear in concert; if not my favorite.

listen to the RR version VERY LOUD and see if that doesnt change your mind.
out go the lights it begins

CHIMMJFAN

Love this song live, first time for me hearing it live wat 2011 Chicago Auditorium show. Let's just say that I felt like I got kicked in the face by the whole band and still came back for more! Carl killed it the entire song.

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

smhoffmann02

Blues, alt-blues, wanna be blues - whatevs.  I love this song and was thrilled to get it at Red Rocks.

As for me, I do believe, that good love comes from tryin'.  You said it, Jimmy.  BOOM!
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

rmpotsy

good LUCK comes from tryin... but he still said it.  BOOM!
out go the lights it begins

Jackets N Pones

Shouting down, I hope you make it, on this earfff.
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

jimsflyingv

Quote from: smhoffmann02 on Sep 25, 2012, 01:37 PM
Blues, alt-blues, wanna be blues - whatevs.  I love this song and was thrilled to get it at Red Rocks.

As for me, I do believe, that good love comes from tryin'.  You said it, Jimmy.  BOOM!
Agreed, I wish MMJ would do another blues song.