Jacket Bracket Attack 2012

Started by Ruckus, Oct 11, 2012, 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HansAndreas

1. Steam Engine
2. The Bear

justbcuzido

1 - Steam Engine - will it go all the way? :)
2 - Magheeta
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

zanjam

Mike and I were just discussing my picking Mahgeetah over The Bear, when The Bear came on Pandora.  The Universe is telling me it was a bad idea to go against The Bear, methinks.
anything + reverb always = better

Fully

Quote from: zanjam on Nov 30, 2012, 04:14 PM
Mike and I were just discussing my picking Mahgeetah over The Bear, when The Bear came on Pandora.  The Universe is telling me it was a bad idea to go against The Bear, methinks.
Bad idea

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: Fully on Nov 30, 2012, 04:36 PM
Quote from: zanjam on Nov 30, 2012, 04:14 PM
Bad idea

:thumbsup:
what Madonna said really helped

gardenparty

smhoffmann02

Steam Engine - all the way
The Bear
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

woodnymph

Quote from: BH on Nov 30, 2012, 09:49 AM
My votes as well!

1. Steam Engine
2. The Bearrrrr
3. Wear Your Love Like Heaven

Yeah BH!!! High five!!  :bath:  Can we get a Steam Bear Heaven!   :happy:

(Or is that a Steam Bear Wear)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

jacketfan127

1. Steam Engine
2. Mahgeetah

exist10z

I feel like there's something wrong with me.  Blasphemy, I know, but I don't get the excess love for The Bear.  It's a fine song sure, very good really, but one of the bands best?  I just don't get it.  In the early rounds, sure there are always preferences which differed, and I guess I can even see how someone might like it more than Mahgeetah (not really  :rolleyes:), but I'm hearing some real dedication for The Bear.  I love, love, really love Smokin', and Anytime, and Lowdown, but as amazing as they are, they aren't the songs to which I've hooked my Jacket wagon.  But it appears others feel pretty strongly about The Bear.

So enlighten me.  What am I missing?  The lyrics are alright, kinda mysterious, and maybe allegorical/metaphorical, but I don't get a 'wow'.  Then again, I am not really a lyrics guy, I just pick out a few phrases from a song I can relate to and remember.  There's decent jam/freak out at the end of the song and it definitely 'builds' from a strange start - which is one of my favorite aspects of Jacket songs, but I am not feeling the magic.  Without diverting the Jacket Bracket thread too much, can someone explain what I'm missing?
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Tutofqueens

1. Steam
2. Mahgeetah
BTW, Exist,  I'm totally in the same boat as you are in respect to The Bear. I'm excited to hear some responses.

woodnymph

Quote from: exist10z on Nov 30, 2012, 09:24 PM
I feel like there's something wrong with me.  Blasphemy, I know, but I don't get the excess love for The Bear.  It's a fine song sure, very good really, but one of the bands best?  I just don't get it.  In the early rounds, sure there are always preferences which differed, and I guess I can even see how someone might like it more than Mahgeetah (not really  :rolleyes:), but I'm hearing some real dedication for The Bear.  I love, love, really love Smokin', and Anytime, and Lowdown, but as amazing as they are, they aren't the songs to which I've hooked my Jacket wagon.  But it appears others feel pretty strongly about The Bear.

So enlighten me.  What am I missing?  The lyrics are alright, kinda mysterious, and maybe allegorical/metaphorical, but I don't get a 'wow'.  Then again, I am not really a lyrics guy, I just pick out a few phrases from a song I can relate to and remember.  There's decent jam/freak out at the end of the song and it definitely 'builds' from a strange start - which is one of my favorite aspects of Jacket songs, but I am not feeling the magic.  Without diverting the Jacket Bracket thread too much, can someone explain what I'm missing?

There's still time for you too...
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Crispy

Quote from: woodnymph on Nov 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
I feel like there's something wrong with me.  Blasphemy, I know, but I don't get the excess love for The Bear.  It's a fine song sure, very good really, but one of the bands best?  I just don't get it.  In the early rounds, sure there are always preferences which differed, and I guess I can even see how someone might like it more than Mahgeetah (not really  :rolleyes: ), but I'm hearing some real dedication for The Bear.  I love, love, really love Smokin', and Anytime, and Lowdown, but as amazing as they are, they aren't the songs to which I've hooked my Jacket wagon.  But it appears others feel pretty strongly about The Bear.

There's still time for you too...

...forever...
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

EverythingChanges

I actually switched from The Bear to Mahgeetah.  Exist is right, Mahgeetah is the better song.  I feel like most of us MMJ freaks are burnt out on Mahgeetah and find The Bear as rare and alluring.  However, this is suppose to be about the better song, not the lesser played song.  Mahgeetah is played at almost every show for a reason. 
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

exist10z

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Nov 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
I actually switched from The Bear to Mahgeetah.  Exist is right, Mahgeetah is the better song.  I feel like most of us MMJ freaks are burnt out on Mahgeetah and find The Bear as rare and alluring.  However, this is suppose to be about the better song, not the lesser played song.  Mahgeetah is played at almost every show for a reason.

This is both the correct answer and the correct rationale. :thumbsup:
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Fully

For some of us, it's about the interpretation and the resulting shitstorm that followed when the song was interpreted to be about a large, hairy gay man (the bear). For others, we just love large, hairy men - gay or not. And then for others, the song is dark, murky and fucking awesome. Granted, there can be some overlap, as well, due to the fact that I fall into all three categories.

Also, Mahgeetah is a great song, but I find I'm more drawn to the darker songs. I'll never tire hearing either song, but I like the ugliness the theme of The Bear examines. It's more complex and difficult, where Mahgeetah is a joyful, upbeat song that is much easier to love in many ways. It doesn't take as much thought because it's easier to enjoy the light hearted, carefree joy of the song. My students often complain that every poem we read on my class is about death, and they do have a point.

manonthemoon

1.  Steam Engine
2. The Bear
Alive or Just Breathing

exist10z

Thanks Fully, that helps.  Not so much the hairy man part (though that sheds new light on the lyrics), but the second part. :thumbsup:

goldbondking

1. Steam Engine
2. Mahgeetah

e_wind

Quote from: Tutofqueens on Nov 30, 2012, 09:30 PM
1. Steam
2. Mahgeetah
BTW, Exist,  I'm totally in the same boat as you are in respect to The Bear. I'm excited to hear some responses.

The bear fucking rules, BUT, these are my votes too because Mahgs is just better.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...