"One Big Holiday" in MEXICO!!

Started by parkervb, Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Do people really think this is expensive? 1200$ for 4 nights at a nice hotel on the beach, all your food and drink, and 4 nights of jacket.

PC + Boston last year was around the exact same price for tickets, travel and board. I definitely spent several hundred dollars on food and beer. I think the price is very fair.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 16, 2013, 12:19 AM
Do people really think this is expensive? 1200$ for 4 nights at a nice hotel on the beach, all your food and drink, and 4 nights of jacket.

PC + Boston last year was around the exact same price for tickets, travel and board. I definitely spent several hundred dollars on food and beer. I think the price is very fair.
I only spent $600 on PC and Boston, I tend to travel cheaper. With three kids, I can't spend all of my money on my selfish fun. I don't think this trip is too expensive; it's just too expensive for me.

Northern Neighbour

Traveling to Mexico would require at least 5 days and maybe 6.  The cost for two of us would be a minimum $5K.  Carol doesn't drink, I only drink a bit, and neither of us are huge eaters.  So, yeah, $5K is quite a bit and a lot more than we spent on PC+Boston.  We could fly to Europe and spend 10 to 14 days there on $5K.

My Morning Tube top

Quote from: Fully on Jul 10, 2013, 01:40 PM
Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Jul 09, 2013, 10:13 PM
Quote from: Fully on Jul 09, 2013, 01:09 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Jul 08, 2013, 10:36 PM
Quote from: LeanneP on Jul 08, 2013, 07:29 PM
@fortbethel, I think you're going to find (if you go) that you are wrong.  I have no doubts that Hard Rock will have an artist residence area where they won't have fans knocking at their door, but it'll be on site.  One of the selling points for the holiday is "spontaneous artist involvement" which means that in their off hours, when they are enjoying Mexico like normal people, they may pop up on an outing to a pyramid or show up at the morning yoga class, etc. I'd be hella surprised if they didn't have family and close friends with them to share the vacation with.

I think, too, that many MMJ fans are pretty chill and will allow the guys a chance to enjoy the resort without mobbing them for autographs. At least, I hope they will.

I know this isn't exactly the same cause its a cruise, but there is a wildly entertaining article about The kid rock cruise that Fully showed me, and he is out there with the crowd most of the time for that.

I hope this doesn't scare anyone off. I'm the woman in the fifth pic on the slide show, btw.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201306/kid-rock-annual-cruise-gq-june-2013

Fully  I thought that was you! Way to get your tan on!
I knew you would recognize me from the distinct patterns of cellulite. I had a blind man tell me that he could read poetry by grabbing my ass one time. I asked him which poet and he said, "A very long-winded one."

Be kind to your beautiful self lady :) so not true! I saw nothing but a shining light with a big heart & wicked sense of humor that is Fully! We all are the better for your presence, I salute you  :beer:

gluvmiller

Quote from: TheDark on Jul 15, 2013, 10:05 PM
I can't wait for these shows! Going to be an incredible experience. My dream vacation. I've never gone to an All-Inclusive resort and I have heard great things about Cloud 9 events. A few friends of mine have gone to Widespread Panic's "Panic en la Playa" and they said it was the most unbelievable concert experience. They said bars are everywhere at the resort and the hotel staff go through the crowd during the shows passing out drinks and taking drink orders. Sounds amazing. See you all down there for the party of a lifetime.

We did the Panic en la Playa and it was worth every penny. First off, Cloud9 is EXCELLENT. If you have any questions or concerns what so ever, don't hesitate to call them. Their staff is very friendly and helpful. And yes, the resort staff was awesome. They were thrilled to have us. Granted, it was a different resort, but I expect an even better experience given the Hard Rock is geared towards the rock n roll lifestyle. One of the best parts about it was that the shows didn't start until 9pm. It really allowed for us to thoroughly enjoy the resort during the day, maybe get out on an excursion, then have a nice dinner at one of the restaurants and then still have time to pre-game before the music.

I've actually been compiling a list of suggestions and recommendations by people who have done the excursions with Cloud9. There are little things that you may not think of and some things that aren't relevant to every one, but still nice to have a list in my opinion.

gluvmiller

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Jul 16, 2013, 09:51 AM
Traveling to Mexico would require at least 5 days and maybe 6.  The cost for two of us would be a minimum $5K.  Carol doesn't drink, I only drink a bit, and neither of us are huge eaters.  So, yeah, $5K is quite a bit and a lot more than we spent on PC+Boston.  We could fly to Europe and spend 10 to 14 days there on $5K.

You can't expect them to put something together that will suit everyone. The majority of people dream of having the ease of not leaving your resort and have one of your favorite bands playing on the beach walking distance from your room. Then while you're dancing barefoot with salt water waves crashing on your feet, a very nice waitstaff brings you whatever you want to drink. After the music is over, you have the option to still stay in your resort and continue the party with a late night DJ or maybe unwind at a bar with a bunch of fellow fans cause the bars don't close at some predetermined hour based on the state laws. And then maybe you can even make your way to a buffett and gorge yourself after a night of dancing your ass off. And all this is included in the cost so you're not pulling your wallet out at every stop unless you want to tip the friendly staff (which I fully support). And then guess what? You wake up to sounds of the waves crashing on the beach with the smell of salt water in the air. You make your way to get a nice breakfast and lounge around all day gearing up to do it again that night. Oh, and this is all happening in the middle of winter when it certainly isn't very pleasant here in the states. For all of my years chasing music, this is a dream come true. My wife and I agree throughout the year to sacrifice seeing a lot of other music (we live 5 minutes from red rocks) so we can afford to go bigger when opportunities like this present themselves. Quality over quantity. I understand if you're not a big drinker or eater, but that's not really what you're paying for with something of this magnatude. In fact, my wife was pregnant when we did Panic in Mexico so she didn't have a lick of alcohol and she may have had more fun than me. We're planning to bring our 3 kids as well cause it's our job to teach our children well.  :beer:

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jul 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Jul 16, 2013, 09:51 AM

You can't expect them to put something together that will suit everyone. The majority of people dream of having the ease of not leaving your resort and have one of your favorite bands playing on the beach walking distance from your room. Then while you're dancing barefoot with salt water waves crashing on your feet, a vice nice waitstaff brings you whatever you want to drink. After the music is over, you have the option to still stay in your resort and continue the party with a late night DJ or maybe unwind at a bar with a bunch of fellow fans cause the bars don't close at some predetermined hour based on the state laws. And then maybe you can even make your way to a buffett and gorge yourself after a night of dancing your ass off. And all this is included in the cost so you're not pulling your wallet out at every stop unless you want to tip the friendly staff (which I fully support). And then guess what? You wake up to sounds of the waves crashing on the beach with the smell of salt water in the air. you make your way to get a nice breakfast and lounge around all day gearing up to do it again that night. Oh, and this is all happening in the middle of winter when it certainly isn't very pleasant here in the states. For all of my years chasing music, this is a dream come true. My wife and I agree throughout the year to sacrifice seeing a lot of other music (we live 5 minutes from red rocks) so we can afford to go bigger when opportunities like this present themselves. Quality over quantity. We're planning to bring our 3 kids as well cause it's our job to teach our children well  :thumbsup:

That's awesome that you'll be able to bring your kids.  Should be a great family holiday.  It Beats for Jew is also bringing his family.

As for ourselves, my wife and I aren't big resort people.  Actually, we're not resort people at all. Our friends (and many who are on this forum) know that we tend to take big holidays that have us doing different things.  We never take a week to hang out at a beach or a resort.  Even when we go to Hawaii we're quite active.

Everyone has different preferences and interests.  I'm sure the shows will be great, but my wife and I would rather spend the money on other activities, trips, and to see MMJ, U2, and Arcade Fire tour next year.

I think people who are going will be in for a memorable experience, and those of us who don't go will get to live vicariously through you.  I won't regret missing it, though, just like I don't regret missing the T-5 shows and this Americana run because there will always be another experience waiting around the corner.

Of course, come December when check our budgets and holiday time, we may decide to make the trip to Mexico.

gluvmiller

Northern
I completely understand you and your wife's desires to stear away from resorts. As i spent many years as a ski instructor, it is certainly an odd beast. I do have to admit, I certainly spent some time during those years daydreaming of being pampered like my guests. In the end if I had my preference, mmj would be playing a secluded beach w/out amenities in rural Costa Rica or Nicaragua, but then we probably wouldn't take our kids. The inclusiveness of the resort makes our lives MUCH easier with our kids. It also makes me feel safer with the kids as it is imperative for the resort's long term success to protect our kids. I've certainly been curious as to how many people will be bringing kids. Might have to start a thread about this curiousity when it gets closer to travel time.

Fully

Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Jul 16, 2013, 10:06 AM
Quote from: Fully on Jul 10, 2013, 01:40 PM
Quote from: My Morning Tube top on Jul 09, 2013, 10:13 PM
Quote from: Fully on Jul 09, 2013, 01:09 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Jul 08, 2013, 10:36 PM
Quote from: LeanneP on Jul 08, 2013, 07:29 PM
@fortbethel, I think you're going to find (if you go) that you are wrong.  I have no doubts that Hard Rock will have an artist residence area where they won't have fans knocking at their door, but it'll be on site.  One of the selling points for the holiday is "spontaneous artist involvement" which means that in their off hours, when they are enjoying Mexico like normal people, they may pop up on an outing to a pyramid or show up at the morning yoga class, etc. I'd be hella surprised if they didn't have family and close friends with them to share the vacation with.

I think, too, that many MMJ fans are pretty chill and will allow the guys a chance to enjoy the resort without mobbing them for autographs. At least, I hope they will.

I know this isn't exactly the same cause its a cruise, but there is a wildly entertaining article about The kid rock cruise that Fully showed me, and he is out there with the crowd most of the time for that.

I hope this doesn't scare anyone off. I'm the woman in the fifth pic on the slide show, btw.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201306/kid-rock-annual-cruise-gq-june-2013

Fully  I thought that was you! Way to get your tan on!
I knew you would recognize me from the distinct patterns of cellulite. I had a blind man tell me that he could read poetry by grabbing my ass one time. I asked him which poet and he said, "A very long-winded one."

Be kind to your beautiful self lady :) so not true! I saw nothing but a shining light with a big heart & wicked sense of humor that is Fully! We all are the better for your presence, I salute you  :beer:

I was trying to make a joke since I'm not really the woman in the picture. Yet I thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them kindly.

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jul 16, 2013, 11:23 AM
Northern
I completely understand you and your wife's desires to stear away from resorts. As i spent many years as a ski instructor, it is certainly an odd beast. I do have to admit, I certainly spent some time during those years daydreaming of being pampered like my guests. In the end if I had my preference, mmj would be playing a secluded beach w/out amenities in rural Costa Rica or Nicaragua, but then we probably wouldn't take our kids. The inclusiveness of the resort makes our lives MUCH easier with our kids. It also makes me feel safer with the kids as it is imperative for the resort's long term success to protect our kids. I've certainly been curious as to how many people will be bringing kids. Might have to start a thread about this curiousity when it gets closer to travel time.

gluvmiller,

how old are your kids?  i'm bringing my 2 boys who will be 7 and almost 10 at the time of the event.  it'll be great to have other kids to play with there.   
what Madonna said really helped

justbcuzido

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jul 16, 2013, 10:17 AM
I can't wait for these shows! Going to be an incredible experience. My dream vacation. I've never gone to an All-Inclusive resort and I have heard great things about Cloud 9 events. A few friends of mine have gone to Widespread Panic's "Panic en la Playa" and they said it was the most unbelievable concert experience. They said bars are everywhere at the resort and the hotel staff go through the crowd during the shows passing out drinks and taking drink orders. Sounds amazing. See you all down there for the party of a lifetime.

We did the Panic en la Playa and it was worth every penny. First off, Cloud9 is EXCELLENT. If you have any questions or concerns what so ever, don't hesitate to call them. Their staff is very friendly and helpful. And yes, the resort staff was awesome. They were thrilled to have us. Granted, it was a different resort, but I expect an even better experience given the Hard Rock is geared towards the rock n roll lifestyle. One of the best parts about it was that the shows didn't start until 9pm. It really allowed for us to thoroughly enjoy the resort during the day, maybe get out on an excursion, then have a nice dinner at one of the restaurants and then still have time to pre-game before the music.

I've actually been compiling a list of suggestions and recommendations by people who have done the excursions with Cloud9. There are little things that you may not think of and some things that aren't relevant to every one, but still nice to have a list in my opinion.

You said the shows started at 9, how late did they go? I would love to get 3 epic 3 1/2+ hour sets a day.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

gluvmiller

gluvmiller,

how old are your kids?  i'm bringing my 2 boys who will be 7 and almost 10 at the time of the event.  it'll be great to have other kids to play with there.
[/quote]

My oldest daughter Hadley will be 13, my son Elvis will be a 5, and my youngest daughter Journey will turn 18 months in Mexico. Our current plan is to hang with the kids during 1st in the back of the crowd (although Elvis will want to be up close when they sing Wonderful, it's his favorite song) and then Hadley will be incharge of the kids in the room for 2nd set. Let's def keep in touch cause Hadley is awesome with kids of all ages and she'll be thrilled to have a 10 year old in the mix. And maybe your 7 year old and my son will be close enough in age to hang. Hopefully your son likes super heroes

gluvmiller

Quote from: justbcuzido on Jul 16, 2013, 02:54 PM
You said the shows started at 9, how late did they go? I would love to get 3 epic 3 1/2+ hour sets a day.

From what I remember between 12:30am and 1am. Figure an hour or so first set that took us to around 9:30pm. Then 2nd set started 10:15ish and was from an hour and a half to 2 hours and then a 2 song encore. Late night buffets opened at 1am (and i know that because my pregnant wife went every night)

gluvmiller

I am so wicked curious about the "off-the-hook dance party hosted by the band that promises plenty of surprises". This keeps me up at night with wonder. What do y'all think? And what about the sequence of nights? Is it 3 concert nights and then the dance party? Personally I want the dance party in the middle somehow. Maybe 2 shows>dance party> 3rd show.

Jenfarr

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jul 16, 2013, 03:18 PM
I am so wicked curious about the "off-the-hook dance party hosted by the band that promises plenty of surprises". This keeps me up at night with wonder. What do y'all think? And what about the sequence of nights? Is it 3 concert nights and then the dance party? Personally I want the dance party in the middle somehow. Maybe 2 shows>dance party> 3rd show.

This is what I found on the Cloud 9 site about the shows...

"Check in for the event starts at 3pm on January 26, 2014. The first show will be the night of the 26th.   Check out day is January 30th.  The last shows will be the night of the 29th."

So it sounds like the dance party would be either the 27th or 28th.  Interesting that they say "last showS will be the 29th".  I wonder if the "s" is a mistake?

gluvmiller

Jenfarr
I saw the same thing, but don't necessarily trust those "details" as I don't believe they have worked out those details. I kinda think their reference to "shows" covers both concert and dance party. I may be wrong. I've been to trying catch up with a friend who is one of the top dogs at Cloud9. She's been traveling, but I hope she can give me some details when she gets a chance. At the same time, what is this dance party going to entail? Wil the band be DJ-ing? Will they be sporting a cape and dancing with us? Should I be practicing my macarena (sp?)

APR

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jul 16, 2013, 10:17 AM

If you get the list of suggestions and recommendations, that would be great.

Was there an opening band for Panic en la Playa?  Could there possibly be one for MMJ for these shows?

If anyone did not read the Kid Rock cruise article that Fully or e_wind posted, I highly recommend reading it.

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: gluvmiller on Jul 16, 2013, 03:07 PM

gluvmiller,

My oldest daughter Hadley will be 13, my son Elvis will be a 5, and my youngest daughter Journey will turn 18 months in Mexico. Our current plan is to hang with the kids during 1st in the back of the crowd (although Elvis will want to be up close when they sing Wonderful, it's his favorite song) and then Hadley will be incharge of the kids in the room for 2nd set. Let's def keep in touch cause Hadley is awesome with kids of all ages and she'll be thrilled to have a 10 year old in the mix. And maybe your 7 year old and my son will be close enough in age to hang. Hopefully your son likes super heroes
[/quote]

my kids are really into MMJ, so they may want to be up front for some of it, but we also have a concert courtyard room in case they want some more space (and you all are welcome to join us there).  they are both really into sports, and i'm sure we'll be making full use of the basketball they have on site there.  they also love to swim and my oldest will want to do some snorkeling too.  we plan on being at the resort the entire time.  splashing around w/ my kids and a steady diet of adult frozen beverages...i'm good for a few days.    :thumbsup:

p.s. your kids' names are way cool.

p.p.s. you think the shows will be 2 sets? 
what Madonna said really helped

gluvmiller

Quote from: APR on Jul 16, 2013, 05:11 PM
If you get the list of suggestions and recommendations, that would be great.

Was there an opening band for Panic en la Playa?  Could there possibly be one for MMJ for these shows?

If anyone did not read the Kid Rock cruise article that Fully or e_wind posted, I highly recommend reading it.

I'm still working on it. It is currently a thread on FB with over 100 responses. I need to sort through them and organize. Some of it is Panic specific and some of it is nonsense and/or repetitive. Once it starts to fizzle, I post it here. There is some VERY useful suggestions like aps for your phone to make them work like a walkie talkie so you don't get charged international fees (the resorts typically have free wifi and thus support these aps).

Panic did not have openers. They did bring DJs for late night after parties. My wife and I were listening to MMJ new years with Preservation Hall and boy would they be a great addition. Every band is better with horns (imo)

gluvmiller

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Jul 16, 2013, 05:34 PM
my kids are really into MMJ, so they may want to be up front for some of it, but we also have a concert courtyard room in case they want some more space (and you all are welcome to join us there).  they are both really into sports, and i'm sure we'll be making full use of the basketball they have on site there.  they also love to swim and my oldest will want to do some snorkeling too.  we plan on being at the resort the entire time.  splashing around w/ my kids and a steady diet of adult frozen beverages...i'm good for a few days.    :thumbsup:

p.s. your kids' names are way cool.

p.p.s. you think the shows will be 2 sets?
Yeah, 2 of my kids are little so I worry about the loud sound. We had Hadley on the rail front row one night of Panic. In the big picture, I try to keep my kids away from my friends in those situations. My kids know my friends very well and I don't want my friends to be concerned about how they're partying in front of my kids.

As far as our kids hanging out during the day, Elvis's favorite sport is far and away basketball. Santa brought him a bball hoop when he was two. That little bot played non stop for like 8 hours. I don't know that I've ever seen a 2 yr old that focused for that long. Hadley always wants to swim so i would love to get her snorkeling in the ocean. She and I went to one of the eco-resorts and snorkeled and she loved it. Sounds like we can certainly work out some kid time. Oh, and I so appreciate your offer with your concert view room. We'll just cross that bridge...

And thanks on the compliment. We have certain criteria when naming kids. It's kinda funny. And I have no idea about 2 sets or not. Doesn't seem to be their typical recipe. Their extended set with a big encore is actually a very user friendly style for the beach starting at 9pm