"One Big Holiday" in MEXICO!!

Started by parkervb, Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

given2jacket

Anyone concerned that apparently the hotel is months behind schedule and the entire place is a construction zone?  They better do something about this...

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g153510-d209429-Reviews-Aventura_Spa_Palace-Puerto_Aventuras_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: given2jacket on Dec 02, 2013, 01:42 PM
Anyone concerned that apparently the hotel is months behind schedule and the entire place is a construction zone?  They better do something about this...

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g153510-d209429-Reviews-Aventura_Spa_Palace-Puerto_Aventuras_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

not worried.  the event isn't sold out, so if by chance there is some construction going on near your room, you most likely will get a chance to move.  maybe a nice upgrade, perhaps?  that being said, they better bust their ass to make sure this place is ready. 
what Madonna said really helped

ericm

Quote from: given2jacket on Dec 02, 2013, 01:42 PM

There's some pretty shitty reviews in that trip advisor, but hopefully the construction will be complete by the time OBH rolls around. Or at least the parts that will be needed for it.

On a positive note, a lot of work can get done between the time of those reviews, and OBH. As long as the structural work is done, it should be ok. The finish work usually moves along pretty quick.  :thumbsup:

Here's hoping it'll be smooth sailing for those going. :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

gluvmiller

I'm definitely concerned as well, but as stated, there is still a lot of time before OBH. Also, Furthur's Paradise Waits is before OBH and that event is completely sold out. They're not going to have much wiggle room with that excursion. Seeing as Cloud9 has several of these excursions including one at the Hard Rock in the Dominican, I expect they have some leverage to push the resort to get it fixed QUICKLY. The Hard Rock does not want to lose Cloud9 as a business partner.

given2jacket

I called Cloud 9 and they said it will be done.  I wasn't all that convinced by the woman but she said they had people doing a site visit last week and everything is progressing as planned.  This is a lie because everything was supposed to be done December 1 and clearly that's not true from those reviews.  Many say the resort won't be complete till summer 2014. 

I suggest others call Cloud 9 when it gets closer and tell them you will not be happy if the resort is in shambles w/ the money we are paying for the event. 

rincon2

Quote from: given2jacket on Dec 03, 2013, 02:42 PM
I called Cloud 9 and they said it will be done.  I wasn't all that convinced by the woman but she said they had people doing a site visit last week and everything is progressing as planned.  This is a lie because everything was supposed to be done December 1 and clearly that's not true from those reviews.  Many say the resort won't be complete till summer 2014. 

I suggest others call Cloud 9 when it gets closer and tell them you will not be happy if the resort is in shambles w/ the money we are paying for the event.
That is the part that intrigues me. Who are the many? The possibility of this facility not being first rate is a big issue to me.

jaye

I feel so bad for the staff there right now.  They have no control over any of it and must be getting so much crap from angry guests.   I'm really sorry that folks are having to deal with all the construction noise and mess - but at least that means that work is getting done and hopefully will be looking great 7 weeks from now!   :thumbsup:

The hotel should have shut down completely for at least a month, and personally I would never book at a hotel during planned construction time. 

rincon2

Any one know where the concert is planned? I am hoping in the green area surrounded by rooms. Instant balcony access. That pic is a lot smaller than it was on Hotels.com.

jaye

Towards the top of that picture are two rows of buildings - it will most likely be between those. 

Here is a link - see that cement rectangle between 2 rows of buildings. This is my guess.  http://tropicalnightslive.production.townsquareblogs.com/files/2013/08/hrock03.png

e_wind

Last time I was at a resort in a foreign country I got way to drunk on the first night and at 5AM I tried to return to my room but everything looked the same.  I ended up wandering around until after maybe 30 minutes of frustration I punched a window not knowing I was being followed by security, and I ended up with a fat bill for a broken hotel window, a really fucked up hand, and really long night convince Panamanian police not to lock me up, after I fell asleep in the lobby on a couch.

That picture makes this place look god damn huge and like I could easily be confused late at night
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ItBeats4Jew

Quote from: e_wind on Dec 04, 2013, 05:20 PM
Last time I was at a resort in a foreign country I got way to drunk on the first night and at 5AM I tried to return to my room but everything looked the same.  I ended up wandering around until after maybe 30 minutes of frustration I punched a window not knowing I was being followed by security, and I ended up with a fat bill for a broken hotel window, a really fucked up hand, and really long night convince Panamanian police not to lock me up, after I fell asleep in the lobby on a couch.

That picture makes this place look god damn huge and like I could easily be confused late at night

the upshot is that a hotel lobby couch and/or Panamanian jail as your accommodations makes a construction riddled hotel room look pretty good. 
what Madonna said really helped

Fully

Quote from: ItBeats4Jew on Dec 04, 2013, 06:50 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Dec 04, 2013, 05:20 PM

the upshot is that a hotel lobby couch and/or Panamanian jail as your accommodations makes a construction riddled hotel room look pretty good.

If this happens at OBH, ask the front desk people to give you directions to your room. It won't be the first time.

given2jacket

review after review is a DISASTER - really scaring me even though we're 7 weeks away.

i urge everyone to call cloud 9 and let them know you won't tolerate anything like guests are describing.  it seems like management is corrupt - one person posted that they went for a conference and was assured everything would be done, etc, and it was nonstop construction from 7 AM to 11 PM and nothing done.

the more people who make it clear it won't be tolerated the more the resort will either make it certain it's done in time or they cancel event if they can't put it on satisfactorily. 

Fully

Quote from: given2jacket on Dec 05, 2013, 10:33 PM
review after review is a DISASTER - really scaring me even though we're 7 weeks away.

i urge everyone to call cloud 9 and let them know you won't tolerate anything like guests are describing.  it seems like management is corrupt - one person posted that they went for a conference and was assured everything would be done, etc, and it was nonstop construction from 7 AM to 11 PM and nothing done.

the more people who make it clear it won't be tolerated the more the resort will either make it certain it's done in time or they cancel event if they can't put it on satisfactorily.

I don't think this crew wants this to be cancelled. Are you going for the hotel or going to hear the band for four nights? It would suck if you couldn't sleep your hangover away each morning and everything wasn't top notch; however, you're going to hear mmj play four shows in a week! If I had to sleep on the beach and bathe in the ocean, I'd still be thrilled to get to be there.

ericm

Quote from: Fully on Dec 06, 2013, 03:15 AM

I don't think this crew wants this to be cancelled. Are you going for the hotel or going to hear the band for four nights? It would suck if you couldn't sleep your hangover away each morning and everything wasn't top notch; however, you're going to hear mmj play four shows in a week! If I had to sleep on the beach and bathe in the ocean, I'd still be thrilled to get to be there.

Ditto.

If I was going as a romantic getaway, or just to relax, I would be real bummed if the resort wasn't finished. If I was going there to see MMJ for four shows, I wouldn't be near as worried about it. Hell, with all booze included, being able to fall asleep wouldn't be a concern of mine. Passing  out would.  :wink:  :beer:

Seriously though, I really hope OBH goes off without a hitch, and all those going get everything out of it they expect. Hopefully even more.  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

given2jacket

who said anything about getting it cancelled?

we're spending thousands for a vacation.  many are going for honeymoons, etc.  organizers should know we won't tolerate a disaster zone no matter what band is playing.  it's not what we signed up for.  the more pressure the have, far enough in advance, the more likely hard rock will fix the mess in time.

Fully

ericm

Quote from: Fully on Dec 07, 2013, 05:33 AM

I love your early morning posts!  :grin:

They're  like a double shot of espresso, and get my day jump started with a jolt of laughter every time.   :thumbsup:  :cool:
"Where's Jim going?"

rincon2

I don't know if pressure from us will work, but the point is valid. I have never spent this kind of money for four days on anything. There is little excuse barring a hurricane for construction to be ongoing at that time, regardless of the extent.

MMJCOBRA

This is highly discouraging. We all paid a big premium for this trip to enjoy not only MMJ but also a first class resort.  They should refund at least a third of the cost is if is literally as bad as those reviews. 

It also sounds like none of those folks that were inconvenienced got ANY sort of compensation for their troubles. That's total bullshit and infuriates me just thinking about it. I was really looking forward to a care free  first class experience.   Hopefully, they pull their act together as I'm making major sacrifices for this trip and would probably not have spent this kind of money on a crappy resort experience.

Rant over. Would really appreciate a representative of the band officially commenting on this.