Red Rocks - August 14

Started by e_wind, Mar 03, 2015, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itrainmonkeys

Great show. Has me really pumped for the 4-night run in November :)

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Aug 15, 2015, 02:40 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 15, 2015, 02:25 PM
Quote from: ericm on Aug 15, 2015, 11:27 AM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 15, 2015, 10:44 AM
it was an amazing experience, there's really nothing to complain about.

Well why all the complaining in your last post, and this one then?  :huh:

Because I'm being honest haha

You can certainly be honest,and post your opinions all you want. No problem there.  :beer:

It's throwing out 7-8 complaints in a couple of posts, and then saying there's nothing to complain about that's got me scratching my head.  :huh:

they weren't so much complaints as more just "I Wish they'd done this"  or "i wish they'd done that" and everybody has those. I think my post made it very clear I fucking loved every second of it, as I should and as everybody should. It was worth 50 bucks to me, especially getting a record of it too
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

I was basically figuring out my thoughts and wrestling between certain thoughts out loud hahah i am definitely a head scratcher Ericm, this won't be the last time you scratch your head at some weird shit I say hahah  :wink:
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022+ 8/16/2024::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

after replaying the stream three times, I've come to realize that as cool as the experiment was, it'd have been  best to not have done it, cause that was fast becoming one of the best Steams ever, it had so much beauty, like Jim's voice on the "at least not to me" was so pained and agonized it was making me misty to hear the purposeful cracking in his voice, it was a phenomenal vocal performance and he nailed the SO!! at the beginning. Steam Engine absolutely takes you on a journey, and them taking a detour every now and then is one thing, but the FIRST time i see Steam Engine live, would I want them to break it up like that? FUCK NO. but is it a cool experiment? Yes, and I think there's better songs that can be mish-mashed, like Cobra could fit with about three billion different things...

ericm

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 16, 2015, 03:44 AM
I was basically figuring out my thoughts and wrestling between certain thoughts out loud hahah i am definitely a head scratcher Ericm, this won't be the last time you scratch your head at some weird shit I say hahah  :wink:

Ah well, that explains it then.  :grin: Like I said, I was just trying to figure out your posts, definitely not trying to keep you from making them.

I'll keep this post in mind going forward, and if there's any more head scratching, I'll be sure to call you on it so you can straighten me out..  :wink:  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

slappymoe

looks like someone missed out on jim's message of spreading the love. :shocked:

DayDrinkin

Anybody have an estimate on how many early entry RollCallers were at Red Rocks?  I'm just curious how many rows they filled?

layin low

Quote from: DayDrinkin on Aug 16, 2015, 10:37 AM
Anybody have an estimate on how many early entry RollCallers were at Red Rocks?  I'm just curious how many rows they filled?

Give or take, about the first 5 rows or so. Couple hundred people maybe?

parkervb

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on Aug 15, 2015, 11:34 AM
I get that some people may think wordless is getting old. I dunno... I still love it. It works every time.
But it is so much better as the opener or the start of the encore. So wher they had it last night, was great for me.
Same as victory dance for me. The whole Circuital tour, it fit perfect as the opening song.

I like WC, don't love it but I think its a great opener to get everyone involved in the show right away.  I would have liked them to open the encore with OBH as a curveball but that's my only quibble if you will.
Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

Quote from: hendo9591 on Aug 16, 2015, 08:01 AM
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. I was sitting front row right behind the "one big family crowd" towards the right of the stage  And one of the girls with that crowd continued to scream at me during dondante because I was singing to Loud. Listen you little smurf wherver you are you are the most hateful Bitch I have ever met in my life. Even after I explained to her how my best friend had recently passed away in a car accident and that the song was extra emotional for me tonight she continued to flip me off and stare at me angrily the rest of the night. You are a disgusting excuse of a human being Jim James would be repulsed by you and you gave your "one big family" a horrible image. Shame on you

that's awful. I'd much rather see someone singing than chatting away or on the phone.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Sing loud. Sing proud. They hear you and that's all that matters.
Don't you ever turn it off

Mr. White

Quote from: parkervb on Aug 16, 2015, 11:29 AM
Quote from: hendo9591 on Aug 16, 2015, 08:01 AM
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. I was sitting front row right behind the "one big family crowd" towards the right of the stage  And one of the girls with that crowd continued to scream at me during dondante because I was singing to Loud. Listen you little smurf wherver you are you are the most hateful Bitch I have ever met in my life. Even after I explained to her how my best friend had recently passed away in a car accident and that the song was extra emotional for me tonight she continued to flip me off and stare at me angrily the rest of the night. You are a disgusting excuse of a human being Jim James would be repulsed by you and you gave your "one big family" a horrible image. Shame on you

that's awful. I'd much rather see someone singing than chatting away or on the phone.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. Sing loud. Sing proud. They hear you and that's all that matters.

That's right! I'd sing more myself, but some of Jim's lyrics and phrasing escape me at times. I don't feel confident with the lyrics (except for several key phrases and verses...on those, I may sing aloud a little). I'm not saying I sing badly (I was in a church youth choir from 4th to 11th grade), I just don't do it anymore...not even at church. I don't see any problem with singing aloud unless you are very off key and singing loudly like a drunken fool in the ear of those right in front of you. I'm sure your singing fit the moment. She was probably just very drunk (or on a combination of things) and/or a very sour person in general.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Lonndown27

I cant even fathom how fucked up that is just disgusting to me that even AFTER you tell her why you're singing, its like she kept trying to get you angry or something. She can take a One Big Fist and stick it up her ass! Seriously, dont be phased by that drunken bitch! Im sorry if she in any way fucked with your experience. Let it be known, if you were around 100% RCllrs that would NEVER happen in a million years...I'm speechless that someone did this shit to you seriously...did she not hear Jim? Back the fuck off and chill out, and maybe stop drinking cause you obviously can't handle it little lady....good god... hendo9591, I feel ya bro...i'm glad you disarmed her by not letting her ruin it for you

Lonndown27

Jim, trying to claw that bitch's eyes out during the set!

Santo

Quote from: layin low on Aug 16, 2015, 11:07 AM
Quote from: DayDrinkin on Aug 16, 2015, 10:37 AM

Give or take, about the first 5 rows or so. Couple hundred people maybe?

We were in row 10 or 11, wanted to be closer to the center, so we got a few rows back. We estimated about 500 maybe more. Its tough to say though, a lot of people were doing the old blanket reserve, saving seats for their non Roll Call friends.

Santo

Anybody catch if there was code for the show download? In 2012 they put something on the screen and at the merch boot. I didn't see anything, but was too excited and didn't pay attention.

Lonndown27

wouldnt it be on the ticket stub? I hope we get the recordings soon! I cannot wait to revisit the opening of Steam Engine..Jim's never sung that song better in my opinion, I loved how pained his voice was

raheuer

We were RC early admission and in row 9. Some of that one big family crew were pretty nice, but one lady (I bet it's the awful lady referenced earlier) was just so rude. She yelled at us all waiting in the early admission like we were stupid. Everyone was just kind of like "who the hell is this bitch???" This was my first live MMJ experience and I'm so glad the great people outshone the awful folks with similarly awful attitudes
It's DON FREAKIN DANTE by My Morning Jacket, just chill the hell out and listen!

Santo

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Aug 16, 2015, 07:57 PM
wouldnt it be on the ticket stub? I hope we get the recordings soon! I cannot wait to revisit the opening of Steam Engine..Jim's never sung that song better in my opinion, I loved how pained his voice was

According to the live stream info, it should be released on or before August 21.

Didn't see anything on the ticket that would indicate a download, unless they use the barcode number. I'm not even certain that its included with the ticket this time. Either way, I'll be happy.

Frank G

Just my .02, but I was disappointed with the Red Rocks show.  Did anyone else go to The Fox in Atlanta and to RR?  I will say the only reason i am disappointed is because I saw Atlanta the previous weekend.  RR was nothing more than Atlanta crammed into a 3:17 min show...which was incredible, but I hope you see my point.  Think about it, the Steam > Memories > Steam first surfaced in Atlanta and was just insane.  First ever and totally put the crowd in a place of wanting more.  Also look at Part 1 & Part 2 played back to back for the first time ever as well, at least that I recall.  They did both of these at RR which seems to cheapen the experience a bit.  Why no out of this world covers to start the night off in a tear?  Not even an old rarity or Tyrone or at least throw a Bear / September in for the first handful of tunes. 

Anyone feel me on this?  Again, do not get me wrong RR was an incredible experience.  But if you saw both nights at The Fox in Atlanta, I would really like to know your opinion.  I hope they are not like Tedeschi Trucks where you only need to see them once per tour based on the similar set lists. 

I will end with a question.  If you saw 5-8+ shows this tour, would you fly to Europe to see them?  Would you head to Boston and then to NYC to see all shows?  After the last few to close this tour, I am not so sure I would.  And that makes me sad. 

I love this band with my entire being.  I love what Jim writes and I love what they stand for.  But I wish they would take it to the next level for the fans.  Perhaps they will and perhaps I will be surprised in Europe.  Dying to hit Amsterdam based on the last time they played in '08. 

Share your thoughts as I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts.  I love the fans, I love you, and I love the band.  This statement is in no way taking anything away from what they are doing, but an honest assessment of what I experienced and my thoughts. 

Frank.
If it would have been easy, I would not have cared.

rna2525

Hey Frank G,

I wasn't at red rocks for the exact reason u explained in your post.The band while on a new album tour just won't give you what you want.IMO they are still going above and beyond but i personally believe it will be more of the same in europe maybe worse since they want more of the "hits"being they go there less than the states.

On the flip side they have not played 4days at 1 venue so NY is a huge question mark of whats gonna happen there & I'm sure LA will get a 3-4 day stint on the 2nd leg of this tour.

They are good at mixing things up so id imagine a must event in 2016.

Keep posting great posts like the above and I do hope people don't take it as criticism.