Thin Line appreciation.

Started by ManNamedTruth, May 24, 2015, 03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Thin Line is the best song on the album IMO, it recaptures some of that magic of getting into MMJ for the first time for me. Not that I dislike their last couple albums, but it's easily my favorite track they've done in 10 years. Love the dueling guitar solo right near the end, hopefully they extend that part live a little.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

RobRoy286

Probably my favorite as well. The "nobody loves you except for me" is beautiful.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 24, 2015, 12:00 PM
http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,19137.0.html

Thanks Yac, however I did see that thread and wanted to start a new one anyway, as it didn't seem to pertain to what i wanted to say.

johnnYYac

It was more for RobRoy286, as the other thread points to the origin of the line "nobody loves you except for me".

bartel

I love this song.. my most played tune also and most loved from the new album.

MOWJO8185

I said this in another thread - but on first listen this was my least favorite. Now definitely in the top 3. It just gets better each listen.

logan5ive

My favorite on the TW as well.
MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on May 26, 2015, 02:41 PM
I said this in another thread - but on first listen this was my least favorite. Now definitely in the top 3. It just gets better each listen.

It didn't click with me until about the 4th listen.

mcredder

I would also like to join the Thin Line appreciation club. :thumbsup: :drum: :beer:

davymac

This song definitely deserves its own thread.  Love the guitar in it!

RobRoy286

Are the lyrics really "give it chimers, crazy diamonds?" Da fuck is a chimer?

meltingaway

my favorite track as well these days, can't wait to see them flesh it out (hope they do!) live into a thin line monstah!

Murph

I remember Jim describing Regions of Light Sound of God as soul music made in the future.  I always loved that description and I feel like it fits this song perfectly.  Right now its my favorite on the album also..

parkervb

Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 27, 2015, 05:56 PM
Are the lyrics really "give it chimers, crazy diamonds?" Da fuck is a chimer?

bells?
Don't you ever turn it off

MMJCOBRA

It's, "give in shiners, crazy diamonds. And head out towards the sea"

Still no clue what it means in the context of the other lyrics but I have been wandering.

johnnYYac

Quote from: unravelled on May 28, 2015, 12:54 PM
It's, "give in shiners, crazy diamonds. And head out towards the sea"

Still no clue what it means in the context of the other lyrics but I have been wandering.
I'm hearing a connection to Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".  One who is a "crazy diamond" would, ideally, be a "shiner".  Heading out towards the sea is what all water does, eventually.  Rain falls, water falls, rivers flow into the sea.  A lot of those word images appear throughout the album.  Interesting, as the line comes from that 15 year old snippet "Nobody Loves You Sodomy". 

GT

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 24, 2015, 12:00 PM
http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,19137.0.html

Thin Line is my wife's favourite track off the album.  Important she likes some of the tracks as I am dragging her to Belgium for the Antwerp concert.  Not sure I will give her the back-story on the lyrics though.

RobRoy286

Bumping this because Thin Line is great.

sue smith

Hearing it live in Chicago bumped it up into the top 3 of my favorites from The Waterfall.