Best songs to open and close a concert with

Started by sweatboard, Apr 05, 2005, 04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I was listening to "Golden" last night and I was thinking how it has to be the best song ever written to start a show with.  I also think "Yellow Ledbetter" has to be the greatest ending song for a show.  

Opener- Golden (My Morning Jacket)
Closer - Yellow Ledbetter (Pearl Jam)
There's Still Time.........

SMc55

The first time I saw the band they started with One Big Holiday and it was Wham! Rocking right from the word go, with hair swinging and Jim jumping backwards from the platform onto the floor. I wasn't really familiar with their work so it was amazing to see them start like that.

I've seen them start with Golden as well, and that was cool. Got a tingle when it started as I was more familiar with the work by then.

Find it hard to think of a closer as I never want a show to end.

sweatboard

Yeah, I like One Big Holliday right in the middle of the first set.  I wanna get warmed up before that one kicks in.  As for closers I know it's sad but it's one of those wierd Happy Sad's like watching your sons graduation or something.  I really think Yellow Ledbetter captures that crying with a smile emotion.  Now that I've thought about it a little bit more "At Dawn" is a great song to open a show with as well, and I'm not sure the band has ever done it.  I know in Atl. they opened the first encore with At Dawn.  They played the intro in total darkness and then a warm red light came up as Jim belted out the first lines.  That was a nice moment. :)

tomEisenbraun

I think At Dawn would be the perfect opener, either that or the Dark. Awesome closer would have to be Know Your Enemy, by Rage. Frickin amazing song, and the way it ends would be so perfect.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Chills

Opener At Dawn, followed by Magheeta!
To close: Phone Went West, just look at the video on this site for proof...

EC

Okay (excuse the wank)
Golden followed by Bermuda Highway followed by a long version of Mahgeetah.  And then Jim says hello.

End of first set with I Will Be There When You Die.  At Dawn is the first encore, I don't know what songs are in between, and the final closing song is Nashville to Kentucky.  And if they do a 2nd encore, I think it should close with Steam Engine.  

:)  But I don't really care.  (Although, I'd love to hear them sing By My Car.)  (Speaking of, does anyone else notice that the beginnings sound like Suspicious Minds, which they've covered?)

peanut butter puddin surprise

Mahgeetah to open and Honest Man for closer...Louisville heads, help me out here...didn't the show almost always end with Honest Man back in the day?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

CC

QuoteI think At Dawn would be the perfect opener, either that or the Dark. Awesome closer would have to be Know Your Enemy, by Rage. Frickin amazing song, and the way it ends would be so perfect.

they used to open a lot with The Dark, back in the days. At Dawn has been an opener a few times too. I think both of these work perfectly to get things going :)

peanut butter puddin surprise

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

sweatboard

OK John, I'm calling for "It's About Twilight Now" to open the Sundown In The City show and "The Pina Colada Song" to open the first encore.  I mean, it's my hometown for god's sake!!!!!  *In Doctor Evile Voice* "Throw me a frekin bone people".

Oz

QuoteThe first time I saw the band they started with One Big Holiday and it was Wham!

No shit! George Michael jumped up on the stage? That's a cool opening indeed...
I'm ready when you are

SMc55

No shit! George Michael jumped up on the stage? That's a cool opening indeed...

Yeah! He had Andrew Ridgeley with him, but he didn't do much  ;)

EC

Yeah! He had Andrew Ridgeley with him, but he didn't do much  ;)
Ha!  I liked Andrew Ridgeley WAY more than George.  

primushead

I needed it most would be a really sweet closing song.  Am i right?

sweatboard

Yes, you are in fact right sir.  Good Call.  I've never heard this song done live but I'm dying to.

SmoothOprtr

I saw an Andrew Ridgley solo album once for .50 cents and couldn't convince myself to buy it despite the fact that I throw money away on seemingly everything else in my life.
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

EC

QuoteI saw an Andrew Ridgley solo album once for .50 cents and couldn't convince myself to buy it despite the fact that I throw money away on seemingly everything else in my life.

hahahahaha.  You can never tell him that.  Poor old Andrew.  

aMillionDreams

The best opening I've ever seen for a concert was "At Dawn" at Headliners in 2002 sometime for the WFPK listener appreciation concert.  Jim stood at the edge of the balcony with an acoustic guitar and absolutely no amplification.  The packed audience stood and watched in silence as Jim's voice filled the hall with its natural power.  He also similarly opened the benefit concert for Guatemala at Bellarmine by playing a grand piano that was backstage and filling that hall without the aide of a microphone. "At Dawn" has to be my favortie opener.  I know what you mean about the shows back in the day ending with "Honest Man".  Seemed like that they would close with "It's about Twilight Now" a lot back then, too.  Was anyone at the show at the Rudyard Kipling when Tommy smashed up his bass and amp during "Twilight"?
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

SMc55

Hey, I had "time flies like an arrow......." under my picture for a while. Cool  8)

(Are you a geneticist?)

aMillionDreams

No, I just dig semantics.  Truth be told, I had to look up geneticist because I wasn't sure what it meant.  Is that what you do?
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]