So Now We Enter The Waiting Phase...

Started by The_DARK, Mar 13, 2007, 05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

Finally, after two nationwide tours, OKONOKOS CD and DVD, and some of the greatest MMJ shows ever (Bonnaroo 06, Fillmore NYE, 40 Watt Prom), the Z/Okonokos era has finally come to an end with Langerado. I feel we may have just witnessed the band's golden age. Now we wait for a new album and a new tour. How do you think we'll handle this wait? And how long will it last?
In another time, in another place, in another face

aMD

I think you've got a point here.  I wouldn't say we've witnessed their golden age, because the next "age" could be just as golden, but I do agree it will most definitely be different.  I think the band will really reinvent themselves this time around. This band changes and evolves quickly and it'll be interesting to see where the next turn takes them.  

If they follow Bob Dylan's legacy of critical and creative success (which I judge all people by) then this would have been a "golden age" so to speak and they'd be entering a time of great creative output but with little touring or publicity.  I think this could easily happen.  I'm not saying Jim's going to buy a house in Woodstock and hide from the world, but like many bands they may feel comfortable spending more time in the studio and at home.  Really they're popular enough to make a living playing music (their original goal) and they don't even have to tour unless they just really like it.  Only time will tell.

TEO

People need to rest. There is only so much output any person can really handle.  JJ does his best writing (as anyone would) when he is calm, centered and focused. From my viewpoint, I could not be calm, centered and focused while touring. This is really magical stuff. We all realize that. We the fans, through our support, have made sure that they know that. JJ will relax in KY, and through that action, the most amazing stuff will just seem to "channel" through him because he is such a musical genius.  
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

cantrell-r

Wouldn't the "Golden" Age have occurred when It Still Moves came out?

The DARK

QuoteI think you've got a point here.  I wouldn't say we've witnessed their golden age, because the next "age" could be just as golden, but I do agree it will most definitely be different.  I think the band will really reinvent themselves this time around. This band changes and evolves quickly and it'll be interesting to see where the next turn takes them.  

If they follow Bob Dylan's legacy of critical and creative success (which I judge all people by) then this would have been a "golden age" so to speak and they'd be entering a time of great creative output but with little touring or publicity.  I think this could easily happen.  I'm not saying Jim's going to buy a house in Woodstock and hide from the world, but like many bands they may feel comfortable spending more time in the studio and at home.  Really they're popular enough to make a living playing music (their original goal) and they don't even have to tour unless they just really like it.  Only time will tell.
I agree with the first part of what you said. We don't know if this is their golden age or if their best is yet to come. They've made four straight masterpieces, why not five? In fact, Jim seems to be more creative than ever right now and I wouldn't be suprised if their new album is their best yet.

However, it does seem like the golden age for us fans. Look at the forum. Everyone knows each other, and we are being treated to the best in music. Right about now, MMJ has reached a crossroads: they could get huge, or stay small forever. If they get big, soon we'll have crazed fanboys all over the forum who only know one song. If they stay small, the fans we have now will gradually disperse, with not many new ones coming in. So we better enjoy the joys of a developing band while we can.

I don't think they'll stay at home and release albums there. Jim and company are having far too much fun touring to do that. They were born to tour, and I think that's what they'll do. That's where a lot of the MMJ fanbase originated with: one show that really turned them on to the band. They play their hearts out at every show, something that you can't say of most bands. Note how as the Z/Okonokos tours went along, the band's creative energy actually increased. Touring seems more a part of them than albums do.

And I wouldn't have the Jacket any other way.  :)

DaFunkyPrecedent

Their next album will ofcourse be their best album to date, thats just how a band like MMJ works. Every album is "better" than the last while no album at the same time is the "best".  Ya know???  

And on the concern of either staying "small" or going "big"...i can only say they are gonna go BIG.  Real Big!.  I was at the NYE show, and it all hit me, it all made sense.  My friend turned to me and said "I get it" - and I "got it" too...

What I got is that I understood a band that loves the music more than anything.  I saw a band that wanted to be the biggest things to hit this earth.  Now I am waiting for the armagedon of MMJ.

Just wait my friends...just fucking wait - it's going to be CRAZY! they will forever play big Fest, they will forever play small venues and they will forever play 3 night and  2 night special shows.  Just like The Dead, just like Widespread, just like Talking Heads...they will live forever, but in a different MMJ way.  Dont worry - the next 10 years are gonna be "golden".
God damn those shaky knees.

Coltrane

The Waiting, clearly, is the hardest part........
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

peanut butter puddin surprise

Rest, relaxation, and reflection are probably in overdue order for the dudes.  a lot of all three would probably be uber awesome.

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

DaFunkyPrecedent

REFLECTION:
     They're gonna look back on this and only wanna do it again.  But do it even better...if possible.
God damn those shaky knees.

The Big Come Up

(Sings) You take it on faith, you take it to the heart, the waaaaaiiiiiiting is the harrrrrrrdeeeeest part.

always great to quote some Tom Petty

ycartrob

golden age? I have a strong belief that a golden age is only determined in hind sight and not in mid stride.

Let's bring this back up in 50 years and discuss it.

The DARK

It's the golden age up until now! ;)

It's a pity that talentless singers/croakers get popular only because of money, and bands like MMJ have to tour relentlessly and release 4 consecutive masterpieces just to make a living. They should have been chart-topping after It Still Moves.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteIt's the golden age up until now! ;)

It's a pity that talentless singers/croakers get popular only because of money, and bands like MMJ have to tour relentlessly and release 4 consecutive masterpieces just to make a living. They should have been chart-topping after It Still Moves.
Do you really consider TTF a masterpiece? I am by no means putting down the album, but i think that word is being thrown around a little loosely.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

JxD1903

I agree that the best of MMJ may still be yet to come.  They have created amazing music that I thoroughly enjoy but who is to say that THIS right here, or past, has been their "golden age".

I can not WAIT until the next time Im able to see MMJ live, but like all fans, I have to.  If they evolve or change their sound, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be going downhill from this "golden age".  I believe their best is yet to come  :)
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

ChiefOKONO

To me the golden age always begins at the next show......

JohnnyRage

[Sgt. Barnes] Shut up! Shut up and take the pain! TAKE THE PAIN! [/Sgt. Barnes]

This band does not owe us a thing. Individually on many levels though, we probably owe them greatly.

So let's let them have their time, hopefully a long time.
[size=13]Be Right Here Forever...Go Through This Thing Together...And On Heaven's Golden Shores We'll Lay Our Heads[/size][/i]

cmccubbin@work

If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

Angry Ewok

We could start a collection to commission the guys to play at a wedding, or something.

Just throwing that out there, since it's been briefly mentioned in the past.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

The DARK

QuoteWe could start a collection to commission the guys to play at a wedding, or something.

Yours?  ::)

bethofftherecord

QuoteWe could start a collection to commission the guys to play at a wedding, or something.

I alway tell my friends if I win the lottery I will rent an island and pay MMJ to come and play for me and my friends.

I spent $5 on Powerball tix last weekend and didn't win  :(

Better luck next time!
nothing can be changed except ourselves