a word about the terminal 5

Started by big_hungry_joe, Jun 09, 2010, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

^I have fears of flight delays.  I don't get into JFK until 5:30 monday eve, then have to get to brooklyn to stash my stuff then up to the venue.  I'm gonna be pressed for time.  

Dodobird

QuoteThis is the part concert anticipation I hate most -- the phase where I start to wonder about things out of my control, and resort to inane amounts of preparation to ensure my time is perfect. I'm surprised I haven't had nightmares about being caught in a stopped subway and missing the first side of At Dawn.

But this thread has enabled me to curb that attitude, and for that I am thankful. Five nights of MMJ (six if you count the Ramble) cannot go wrong-- ever. Can't wait!

First side of At Dawn? LOL. You have the record? Cool. I grew up with tapes and records so I understand. My older brothers even had A-tracks.

You got tics for the Ramble too! I am working on it.
Wakin up feelin good and limber!

ALady

Wish I could bring a flag in and stake my claim for all 5 evenings. Maybe just some duck tape on the floor with my name on it.  ;D

This cracked me up.  

Places, everyone!   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Nicholas Yames

Quick question... anybody know if they will be playing the straight album beginning to end in the order that is on the record or will they be mixing it up? I'd definately be bummed out if they closed Tennessee Fire with Untitled... not that I wouldn't like to hear it but War Begun would be amazing to close... plus thats also my favorite song. I know nobody is certain, but I'm only going to the Monday show so I won't have any setlists to browse... If anyone has any ideas as to how the setlists are going to be set up that'd be great. Thanks
and if all else fails, i'll come running back, wonderin where you went
with my heart.

capt. scotty

QuoteQuick question... anybody know if they will be playing the straight album beginning to end in the order that is on the record or will they be mixing it up? I'd definately be bummed out if they closed Tennessee Fire with Untitled... not that I wouldn't like to hear it but War Begun would be amazing to close... plus thats also my favorite song. I know nobody is certain, but I'm only going to the Monday show so I won't have any setlists to browse... If anyone has any ideas as to how the setlists are going to be set up that'd be great. Thanks

I actually think theyre going to play the songs out of order (although Id still suspect At Dawn to be first), with covers and EP songs intermingled. Popular opinion here seems to be that theyll play them in order though.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

Someone linked an interview awhile back (I think it was with Tom?) that said they were going to play the songs in album order.

Perhaps someone more ambitious than I will dig up the link   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ralph

My friends are shaking their heads at me when I tell them that I would rather be lining up outside the venue nice and early to get a good spot rather than seeing the sites of New York.  My response is simply that you need to get your priorities right.  I'm not flying half way round the world to look at buildings and museums!! Although I will find time to go to the top of the Empire State Building.  Surely there wouldnt be anything else to do in NY that could compare to being as close as possible to MMJ belting out Masterplan?  ;)
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Im The Dude

QuoteMy friends are shaking their heads at me when I tell them that I would rather be lining up outside the venue nice and early to get a good spot rather than seeing the sites of New York.  My response is simply that you need to get your priorities right.  I'm not flying half way round the world to look at buildings and museums!! Although I will find time to go to the top of the Empire State Building.  Surely there wouldnt be anything else to do in NY that could compare to being as close as possible to MMJ belting out Masterplan?  ;)

I once waited for 4 hours on a Detroit street for a show. We will be their early for them. The earlier you get there the better your spot.

7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

woodnymph

QuoteMy friends are shaking their heads at me when I tell them that I would rather be lining up outside the venue nice and early to get a good spot rather than seeing the sites of New York.  My response is simply that you need to get your priorities right.  I'm not flying half way round the world to look at buildings and museums!! Although I will find time to go to the top of the Empire State Building.  Surely there wouldnt be anything else to do in NY that could compare to being as close as possible to MMJ belting out Masterplan?  ;)

I once waited for 4 hours on a Detroit street for a show. We will be their early for them. The earlier you get there the better your spot.

Indeed... there will be plenty of time for sightseeing. Do your chums feel strongly about any band?? Even if you don't care for a particular band... I think music fans can just understand that kinda thing, or in my lala land they do... Early bird gits teh werm!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ralph

Pretty much every time I tell someone - family or friends - that I'm traveling somewhere the inevitable question is "Which band are seeing this time?" Its more or less a running joke now.  Who needs tourist attractions when there's a favorite band in town? Mrs Ralph has her own music obsessions so understands the pull of 'having to be there', and pretty much said go for it when I floated the idea of this pilgrimage.

Anyways, this is way off topic....
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Im The Dude

Anyways, about the venue. Do they allow backpacks in there? If so can you check them easy and fast at their coat check?
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

walterfredo

question for the NYC'rs.  I don't get into JFK until 5:30 on Monday.  I need to get to my friends place in Brooklyn to drop of my bag, then will head straight over to the venue.  How long is this going to take?  I'm a bit stressed on the timing, it's going to be rush hour.  

Penny Lane

Quotequestion for the NYC'rs.  I don't get into JFK until 5:30 on Monday.  I need to get to my friends place in Brooklyn to drop of my bag, then will head straight over to the venue.  How long is this going to take?  I'm a bit stressed on the timing, it's going to be rush hour.  

brooklyn's huge, depends where in brooklyn your friends place is...
it should take no longer than an hour
try not to check a bag to save time, just head straight to the Air Train to the subway
ps-rush hour is good, it means more trains, don't be afraid to throw yourself on a crowded train, srsly
study the subway map before you get here cuz you'll need to jump back on from brooklyn, it can be fast if you know what you're doing
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

walterfredo

thanks, I'm definitely not checking a bag, and I'll scope out the train options I need and it rock it as fast as I can.

She is 9th St. between Wythe and Berry in Brooklyn, not too far from McCarren park.

mahg33ta

Quote I'm a bit stressed on the timing, it's going to be rush hour.  

At least it's TFF night, so I'm betting it will be pretty empty.

I'd love to see tickets sold by night.   We know the place holds about 4k, and nights 3-5 are sold out.   I wonder if night 1 is REALLY low (just wild speculation, no proof)

sounds like a dream show for me, too bad I can't make it.

walterfredo

Quotequestion for the NYC'rs.  I don't get into JFK until 5:30 on Monday.  I need to get to my friends place in Brooklyn to drop of my bag, then will head straight over to the venue.  How long is this going to take?  I'm a bit stressed on the timing, it's going to be rush hour.  

question for the NYC'rs in regards to my post above.  Just found a friend of mine will be moving into a new place in Harlem on 103rd and Park, opposite side of central park than T5 and a bit higher as well, would that save me a ton of time to drop my stuff off there rather than in Brooklyn after I get into JFK?  Or...she also said I could probably stash my stuff at her office, 57th St. and 8th Ave.  Or would it really not save me all that much time, since JFK is way the fark out there?  Wish I was flying into LGA.  

br00ke

question for the NYC'rs in regards to my post above.  Just found a friend of mine will be moving into a new place in Harlem on 103rd and Park, opposite side of central park than T5 and a bit higher as well, would that save me a ton of time to drop my stuff off there rather than in Brooklyn after I get into JFK?  Or...she also said I could probably stash my stuff at her office, 57th St. and 8th Ave.  Or would it really not save me all that much time, since JFK is way the fark out there?  Wish I was flying into LGA.  

your friend in brooklyn is in wiliamsburg so you'd take the L @ Bedford all the way to 8th avenue and transfer to the Uptown A (express) train .. and get off at Columbus Circle (and then walk or cab). i'd say you'll be at your friends house by 6:30 and to the venue by 7:30/8pm

if you can stash @ your friends office that'd make things super easy as long as you can still get into the offices post-show :) ... but traffic could be a pain once you get in the city ... slowing you down and thus not really making it that much faster than making the drop in BK. subway can easily be faster than a cab sometimes

walterfredo

thanks for the input.  she says she can get into her office 24/7, and also says I can take the airtrain/subway from JFK to very close to her office, so traffic wouldn't be an issue.  I think this is my new plan.  Her office is very close to the meet up bar, but I imagine peeps would have left the bar by the time I get to the area.  

br00ke

oh yeah that's a great plan and you don't even have to mess with a cab/traffic

also a nifty website to get an idea on travel times for anyone using the subway hopstop (they also have an iPhone app) .. it'll also take any train construction / re-routes into account and tell you the best way to go. i just plugged in JFK to 57th & 8th and it quoted 1 hour and 8 minutes. not too shabby!

themarsvolta

I've seen the Mars Volta and the Arctic Monkeys at T5, both sold out shows... and they were both GREAT!! Love the place and almost dooked in my pants when I found out MMJ was doing this!!

Can't wait for next week!!!!!!

@@