Time Machine

Started by EC, May 17, 2005, 05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

You are given a trip on a time machine with limitations.
1.  You can only go back once.
2.  You have to see a concert.
3.  You are not allowed to reveal any of this and possibly change the course of musical history.

Where do you choose?

(plus, you get a million dollars and free beer for the rest of your life.  hell, it's all dreamy, so why not?)

Jellyfish

5/8/77...Cornell University,Utica NY....The Grateful Dead....is the concert I would like to attend...and I would like to exchange the beers for doobage please. ;D
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

EC

suuuure.  Just consider "beer" as the code word for "relaxer of choice".  :)

(I still can't pick my concert.  I'm giving myself 24 hours to just make a choice.)

tomEisenbraun

I'd go back in time the see Led Zeppelin out in California while they were touring on the Houses of the Holy. Specifically the shows recorded for the How the West Was Won album.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

peanut butter puddin surprise

I also concur on the Zep concert.  Maybe around '73, Houses of the Holy tour...with major league ganja, a quart of bourbon, and maybe a mushroom or two. (or ten)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

Okay, I'm slowly narrowing it down.

1.  Hank Williams at the Opry.
2.  Live from Folsom Prison.
3.  Elvis (the Comeback Special)
4.  Wherever that "concert" was where Bob Dylan played out of the back of his truck.  ;)  Actually, anywhere on the '65 UK tour.
5.  Woodstock (the original)  (I know it's kind of cheesy, but it would've been really cool)

And then there's a whole slew of lesser known shows - like, I think I would've liked to have seen Jim James play a coffee house way back in the day.  Or Emmylou's show on the day that she was "discovered" by Chris Hillman.  Or fuck, Gram and Emmylou after they got their shit together.

Sorry.  I will narrow it down.  

marktwain

Nov. 22, 1997
Apples in Stereo/Neutral Milk Hotel/Olivia Tremor Control

I've seen the Apples, and they're excellent.  Sadly, Neutral Milk Hotel dissolved before I discovered them.

EC

ooooh that's fun.  Those guys are all part of that elephant six thing (or whatever it's called).  neat-o.  nice poster, too.  :)

sweatboard

I've listened to it with my jaw on the floor a few times but to go back and actually get to experience it live...........9/8/2001 The Planatarium Show by My Morning Jacket.  I believe this to be thier best show to date.
There's Still Time.........

Chills

This would be high on the list... One off performance,On The Beach period, totally brilliant, unique etc... I have the bootleg, it rules.

05-16-1974, The Bottom Line, New York City, New York
Solo
Pushed It Over The End
Long May You Run
Greensleeves
Ambulance Blues
Helpless
Revolution Blues
On The Beach
Roll Another Number
Motion Pictures
Pardon My Heart
Dance, Dance, Dance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tape Exists : Yes
Length : 60
Notes :  
Tour :  
Band : Solo
 Neil Young - vocals, guitar, banjo, keyboards, harmonica

And yes Elvis, Zep, Johnny Cash...
Maybe In Utero Nirvana, Last Waltz The Band, Who live at Leeds, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding....

EC

QuoteThis would be high on the list... One off performance,On The Beach period, totally brilliant, unique etc... I have the bootleg, it rules.
Ê
05-16-1974, The Bottom Line, New York City, New York Ê
Solo
Pushed It Over The End Ê
Long May You Run Ê
Greensleeves Ê
Ambulance Blues Ê
Helpless Ê
Revolution Blues Ê
On The Beach Ê
Roll Another Number Ê
Motion Pictures Ê
Pardon My Heart Ê
Dance, Dance, Dance Ê

I have this.   Or a very similar one.  It's brilliant.  Beautiful.

Chills

'Here's another bummer for you' Priceless...

Coltrane

The Who...Live at Leeds......i can feel my ears bleeding already
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Drunkre

R.E.M. circa 1981, at that old rundown church in Athens, GA. (which also conveniently served as a home).  

I would've said the Beatles, but they stopped touring before they recorded the really good stuff.  Maybe the rooftop concert?  That would just be sad though, cause you'd know it was the last.

The Sex Pistols in Atlanta fucking Georgia.  What a blast; rednecks and Sid Vicious.

it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

primushead

I would've loved to see U2 at their peak...maybe at Giants Stadium during the ZooTV Outside Broadcast tour in '93.  The visuals would certainly be cool...on acid! :o

EC

QuoteI would've loved to see U2 at their peak...maybe at Giants Stadium during the ZooTV Outside Broadcast tour in '93.  The visuals would certainly be cool...on acid! :o

I saw that tour.  It was good.  I remember something about a giant car, and they did a couple of acoustic songs on this long stage that extended into the audience.  That was nice.

primushead

I saw that tour.  It was good.  I remember something about a giant car, and they did a couple of acoustic songs on this long stage that extended into the audience.  That was nice.

Just good?  That was nice?  Hm...maybe I should pick another show.

EC

Just good?  That was nice?  Hm...maybe I should pick another show.

Nonono.  You can pick that one.  I wasn't at the particular one you were referring to.  It was good.  Truly.  :)

LadyGrinningSoul

1973 - Hammersmith Odeon (London) - David Bowie's final performance as Ziggy Stardust.
I fall to sleep in the summer rain
With no single memory of pain

marktwain

I have to change my answer; just got finished watching THe Who Live @ the Isle of Wight, 1970.  HOLY CRAP!  what an awesome show.  If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out.  Even if you aren't a big Who fan.