World Cup 2010!

Started by talleshortz, May 18, 2010, 09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikeBeer

Honestly, none of you guys were bothered by Altidore's playacting?

When every other team in the world draws phantom fouls, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape when one of our guys takes advantage of it.  Like it or not, it is a part of the game until FIFA does something to clean it up.  And it doesn't excuse completey ignoring the following set piece where not one, but two US attackers were freaking tackled in the box.  Not to mention the disallowed goal.  

BTW, wrt Dempsey getting away with that elbow, I would say Findley's yellow on what wasn't even close to being a hand ball more than made up for that no card on Dempsey.  That ref's calls were far more egregious towards the US than they were towards the Slovenians.

Jaimoe

Phantom fouls and diving are two aspects of the "beautiful game" that non-fans or even casual fans will ever accept... nor should. There's no honour in this behaviour or the acceptance of it. Watching players writhing in pain after little or no contact is sickening. Duncan Keith, Oscar Robertson, Ronnie Lot they ain't. I also hated watching de Rossi do a swan-dive in the first half which led to a penalty kick goal against New Zealand. I hope FIFA eventually grows a pair and finally cleans-up some of the unsportsmanlike aspects of the game.

joey_rogo

QuotePhantom fouls and diving are two aspects of the "beautiful game" that non-fans or even casual fans will ever accept... nor should. There's no honour in this behaviour or the acceptance of it. Watching players writhing in pain after little or no contact is sickening. Duncan Keith, Oscar Robertson, Ronnie Lot they ain't. I also hated watching de Rossi do a swan-dive in the first half which led to a penalty kick goal against New Zealand. I hope FIFA eventually grows a pair and finally cleans-up some of the unsportsmanlike aspects of the game.

tru dat. im trying to watch ITA/NZL right now but it's so hard. i just can't stand the diving. i don't care if it has become part of the game or whatever. these sally sensitives need to man up. we played tougher ball in elementary school gym class and none of us rolled around on the grass for 2 minutes after slight contact to the back of the head. and i can't believe these commentators seem to accept the diving.  ::)

FiddleCastro

*feel tug on shirt*
*fall in opposite direction*
*penalty kick???*
*goal*

>:(
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Jon T.

Honestly, none of you guys were bothered by Altidore's playacting?

When every other team in the world draws phantom fouls, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape when one of our guys takes advantage of it.  Like it or not, it is a part of the game until FIFA does something to clean it up.  And it doesn't excuse completey ignoring the following set piece where not one, but two US attackers were freaking tackled in the box.  Not to mention the disallowed goal.  

BTW, wrt Dempsey getting away with that elbow, I would say Findley's yellow on what wasn't even close to being a hand ball more than made up for that no card on Dempsey.  That ref's calls were far more egregious towards the US than they were towards the Slovenians.

I agree.  Yes, it is ridiculous.  But, I'd say the U.S. arguably does it less than a good majority of other teams.
I also don't think Dempsey warranted a red.  Yellow, sure.  I don't see too many 50/50 balls without elbows flying.  It didn't look too intentional.
Good point, Ruckus, on Donovan's gift.  Still, he capitalized perfectly and had great vision as he was attacking the goal.  Had the keeper come off his line, he knew exactly where his guys were for any easy dish.  I read where he said after the game he was aiming for the keeper's head.  You can see from the picture in this thread he did a pretty good job of that.   ;D
U.S. really needs to get over the bad foul call.  Nothing we can do about it now.  Just figure out a way to beat ALG.  I really don't want to read for the next few months how we were "robbed".  

MarkW

Wow.  Portugal destroyed North Korea.  That was both beautiful and merciless.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Ruckus

QuoteWow.  Portugal destroyed North Korea.  That was both beautiful and merciless.

I have no idea what happened to North Korea in the 2nd half.  Well, at least one top European squad showed up. ;)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ynwa

QuoteWow.  [highlight]Portugal destroyed North Korea.[/highlight]  That was both beautiful and merciless.

yes.  yes they did.  the game was completely ripped wide open after portugal's 2nd goal.  north korea had to come out & chase so there was all kinds of space for the portugese to exploit.  and they suuuuure did.
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Ruckus

I agree wholeheartedly with you JonT that the US play the game with much more dignity than most other competing nations although Dempsey and Altidore seem to have picked up terrible habits overseas.  However, when you see the likes of De Rossi and Drogba, nothing compares.

I watched Dempsey's elbow over and over on my DVR and the only conclusion I can come up with was that it was intentional.  You're right that arms fly on 50/50s all the time but it sure seemed like he gave it an intentional extra at the end.  It was definitely worthy of a yellow.  Yes, the ref was wrong on Findley's yellow.  US don't deserve a win where they don't show up for the first 45 minutes in an important World Cup match.  They control their own destiny.  Take advantage.

Oh wait I know...Let's talk about bad refereeing.  I watched at live speed as it happened, Luis Fabiano's second goal for Brazil against the Ivory Coast.  I thought, did I just see TWO hand balls not called on the same play? ::) :o >:(

Jon T.

QuoteI agree wholeheartedly with you JonT that the US play the game with much more dignity than most other competing nations although Dempsey and Altidore seem to have picked up terrible habits overseas.  However, when you see the likes of De Rossi and Drogba, nothing compares.

I watched Dempsey's elbow over and over on my DVR and the only conclusion I can come up with was that it was intentional.  You're right that arms fly on 50/50s all the time but it sure seemed like he gave it an intentional extra at the end.  It was definitely worthy of a yellow.  Yes, the ref was wrong on Findley's yellow.  US don't deserve a win where they don't show up for the first 45 minutes in an important World Cup match. They control their own destiny.  Take advantage.

Word.  8-)

Had ENG beaten ALG we would still be in a "win and in" situation.  Their draw opened up our possibilty of drawing and still advancing.  Still, I would have rather ENG won and we would have faced an already eliminated ALG side.  They definitely aren't too skillful, but man they were scrappy against ENG.  Still, we should advance and to be honest if we can win one match in Group play we really don't deserve to advance, imo.  

iLikeBeer

I never said I like diving aspect of the game.  I merely said you shouldn't act as if we should down the US when they are the ones drawing a foul from a dive when it happens against them all the time.  I guess I abide by the old adage of if you can't beat them, join them.  At least we aren't the freaking Italians who are the kings of drawing phantom fouls!

QuoteI agree wholeheartedly with you JonT that the US play the game with much more dignity than most other competing nations although Dempsey and Altidore seem to have picked up terrible habits overseas.  However, when you see the likes of De Rossi and Drogba, nothing compares.

Yes.  Dempsey and Altidore definitelty seem to be picking up some bad habits from playing on the other side of the pond.  But as you said, they have a loooooooong way to go to reach the depths of guys like De Rossi, Drogba and possibly the worst offender in Christiano Ronaldo.

QuoteI watched Dempsey's elbow over and over on my DVR and the only conclusion I can come up with was that it was intentional.  You're right that arms fly on 50/50s all the time but it sure seemed like he gave it an intentional extra at the end.  It was definitely worthy of a yellow.

I'll give you that Dempsey's elbow should have earned him a yellow.  I think had he been looking at his victim as he was planting his elbow, he definitely would have drawn at least yellow, if not red.  But the fact that he wasn't looking as he was landing the elbow may have given him his reprieve.

QuoteUS don't deserve a win where they don't show up for the first 45 minutes in an important World Cup match.  They control their own destiny.  Take advantage.

AGREED!!!  :)

Ruckus

Don't mind me Beer.   ;D  I've already angered enough of my friends with my take on the whole US/Slovenia game.  I agree, I can't stand Italy for the way they play the game.  You know, the funny thing is that though I may be a little off on this, I feel like Ronaldo has gotten a little better recently in his playacting as compared to three or four years ago.

The Spain/Honduras game was officiated by the Japanese referee crew.  It's the second time I've watched them and I felt they were excellent again.  Among the many things that FIFA must correct is the completely arbitrary nature of yellows given to dives.  Drogba was pathetic on one play against Brazil and I don't think De Rossi has gotten one and he shamelessly dove in both Italian games so far and neither have been carded.  Meanwhile, two Germans were booked in their 1st game for less obvious transgressions.

I hate the fact that I'm somehow going to have to avoid all human contact and internet info on Wednesday so I can watch the game fresh after work in the evening.  I was able to do it last Friday so we'll see.

iLikeBeer

QuoteDon't mind me Beer.   ;D  I've already angered enough of my friends with my take on the whole US/Slovenia game.  

No worries mate!   ;)

QuoteI hate the fact that I'm somehow going to have to avoid all human contact and internet info on Wednesday so I can watch the game fresh after work in the evening.  I was able to do it last Friday so we'll see.

I hear you.  I have had to do this with every US match so far.  For their opener vs. England I had to run to the grocery store late in the afternoon and forgot I was wearing my US Soccer hat and I was so sure someone was going to spot my hat and give away the result.   :D  Luckily I just avoided making eye contact and got what I needed (first and foremost beer to watch the match) and got the hell out of the store!  8-) )

And last Friday, I had to go to an assembly at my twins school for a summer camp program.  One of their friends fathers is also a huge soccer fan and he was there wearing his US jersey and I just avoided him and thankfully I was successful on that occasion as well!   8-)

We shall see if I can make it 3 for 3 on Wednesday!   :D

MarkW

Best of luck to both England and the USA this afternoon.  If I have the maths right, if we both win, we're both through.  Fingers crossed.

We're closing our offices this afternoon at 2pm, and the entire company is heading to the pub.  Don't expect much in the way of posting from me tomorrow either way!
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Jon T.

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!

The Heart Attack Gang does it again!  We missed way too many opportunities and Algeria's keeper was a mad man but we got the job done!!!!!!  It doesn't get any more intense than that.  Thank you, Donovan!!!

BH

QuoteBest of luck to both England and the USA this afternoon.  If I have the maths right, if we both win, we're both through.  Fingers crossed.

We're closing our offices this afternoon at 2pm, and the entire company is heading to the pub.  Don't expect much in the way of posting from me tomorrow either way!

Sweet, we both made it thru.  Now if Deutschland can make it thru this afternoon, I'll have three teams to root for.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Tracy 3000

Wow! That USA win was the first time in my life I have had any emotional response to a soccer game.

USA!   :)
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Jon T.

That is hilarious (and disturbing).   ;D

My Morning Coffee

Seriously a great win for USA!

I was watching the stream, which is a little behind, at my desk and we have cable in the lobby.  Heard the entire lobby go nuts and had to wait 20 seconds to see what happened...what a 20 seconds it was!

~ I ain't often right, but I've never been wrong ~