the books we read

Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEATHER KID

Finished Into the Wild today.   Cool, interesting story, figured I need to read it before I catch the movie.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

Drunkre

QuoteJust recently read Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. I know many of you are fans, so I'm hoping I can get a good opinion on where to go next!  :)

I loved all of his stuff except Galapagos.  I just couldn't get into that one.  But I would say read some of his short story stuff; good quick reads that you can start anywhere in the book.  See Welcome to the Monkey House; or Bagumbo Snuff Box (early stuff, much more scifi like Sirens of Titan than some of his later work).  Some of my favorite novels are Deadeye Dick; God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater; and, of course, Breakfast of Champions.  Oh yeah, God Bless You, Dr. Kervorkian was really awesome as a sort of short story collection.  Vonnegut and Kervorkian supposedly get together and kill Vonnegut for short periods of time (a la Flatliners); he goes to heaven and speaks with famous historical figures.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

ManNamedTruth

QuoteJust recently read Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. I know many of you are fans, so I'm hoping I can get a good opinion on where to go next!  :)

I loved all of his stuff except Galapagos.  I just couldn't get into that one.  But I would say read some of his short story stuff; good quick reads that you can start anywhere in the book.  See Welcome to the Monkey House; or Bagumbo Snuff Box (early stuff, much more scifi like Sirens of Titan than some of his later work).  Some of my favorite novels are Deadeye Dick; God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater; and, of course, Breakfast of Champions.  Oh yeah, God Bless You, Dr. Kervorkian was really awesome as a sort of short story collection.  Vonnegut and Kervorkian supposedly get together and kill Vonnegut for short periods of time (a la Flatliners); he goes to heaven and speaks with famous historical figures.

Breakfast Of Champions is my favorite book. I've been meaning to get to Slaughterhouse-Five.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

aMD

Breakfast Of Champions is my favorite book. I've been meaning to get to Slaughterhouse-Five.

I still think Cat's Cradle is his best work.

red

I'm a little more than halfway through One Hundred Years of Solitude and am absolutely loving it.  Then it's on to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galazy (et all) that a friend loaned me.  

Here's where I need some help...The recently opened used bookstore in town has me with many purchases sitting on my CD player waiting to be read.  Anyone have their $.02 to throw in on any of these?  I'm overwhelmed and my library list is even longer.

Trainspotting - Irving Welsh
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
East of Eden - John Steinbeck
Travels with Charlet - John Steinbeck
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton

Thanks!

tomEisenbraun

Currently working on Moby Dick and actually really really digging it. Anybody else gone through this one?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

IHL

'Northline' by Willy Vlautin (Richmond Fontaine)

Great so far...would recommend.

Penny Lane

QuoteCurrently working on Moby Dick and actually really really digging it. Anybody else gone through this one?

yes, skip the chapters on the whaling industry and you're left with a great story
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

QuoteI'm a little more than halfway through One Hundred Years of Solitude and am absolutely loving it.  Then it's on to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galazy (et all) that a friend loaned me.  

Here's where I need some help...The recently opened used bookstore in town has me with many purchases sitting on my CD player waiting to be read.  Anyone have their $.02 to throw in on any of these?  I'm overwhelmed and my library list is even longer.

Trainspotting - Irving Welsh
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
East of Eden - John Steinbeck
Travels with Charlet - John Steinbeck
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton

Thanks!

i have a really hard time reading faulkner for some reason--

Penny Lane

Just Started "Veil" by Bob Woodward (about the CIA in the 80s?)---i think I only have one other Woodward book to get thru. Great stuff.

also "sex, drugs and cocoa puffs" by Chuck Klosterman is a MUST read--people on this board would love it

easy jim

I just finished No Country For Old Men and You Shall Know Our Velocity.  The latter was the first Eggers book I've read but today I start What Is the What as my travel entertainment.
So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

EC

also "sex, drugs and cocoa puffs" by Chuck Klosterman is a MUST read--people on this board would love it
i've been meaning to read that book for a while.  thanks for the reminder.

bowl of soup

I've been off and on reading IV (it's a colection of essays, articles, and such - so you can put it down for a while and come back) and it's great.  The interviews with Jeff Tweedy, Britany Spears, and Val Kilmer really stand out.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

LEATHER KID

I've been off and on reading IV (it's a colection of essays, articles, and such - so you can put it down for a while and come back) and it's great.  The interviews with Jeff Tweedy, Britany Spears, and Val Kilmer really stand out.
IV is probably my favorite of Klosterman.  Fargo Rock City was pretty damn good reading too.  It got a big nod from David Byrne.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

.Walt

i am now reading Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. i feel so...what's the word?... enlightened?
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

aMD

Quotei am now reading Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. i feel so...what's the word?... enlightened?

great book! Enjoy.

I'm reading the Botany of Desire of Michael Pollan.  It's very interesting.  Anyone whose into gardening, agriculture, and/or food should check it out.

Drunkre

I just finished Lush Life by Richard Price.  I heard Terri Gross interviewing Price a week or so ago.  NPR was really losing it over The Wire.  I tried to watch it once or twice, but the whole gay gangsta thing was just dumb to me.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

EC

Quotei am now reading Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. i feel so...what's the word?... enlightened?
that book changed my life.  i forgot about it.  i might pick that up again tonight.  i loved that book, i loved it.

Quotegreat book! Enjoy.

I'm reading the Botany of Desire of Michael Pollan.  It's very interesting.  Anyone whose into gardening, agriculture, and/or food should check it out.
oooooh yes.  i've wanted to read that one!

i kind of feel embarrassed to say what i'm reading, but what the hell.  i'm reading the bathroom book.  it's basically a collection of extremely condensed books.  it's perfect to read a "book" or two every night before bed and learn something.  i thought that after spending the last two months re-reading all of my old calvin and hobbes and edward gorey collections that i could probably use that last half hour before i go to bed to put something in my brain that my subconscious could solidify through the night.  plus, there are a lot of really wonderful historical figures that i don't know anything about.  and i also thought that if i found somebody or something really interesting, then i could do further research.

but it's kind of non-committal.  so it might be time for a new, beefy full-length.

red

QuoteNPR was really losing it over The Wire.  I tried to watch it once or twice, but the whole gay gangsta thing was just dumb to me.
You're missing out on the best drama to ever grace television screens.  

LizKing531

that book changed my life.  i forgot about it.  i might pick that up again tonight.  i loved that book, i loved it.

Quotegreat book! Enjoy.

oooooh yes.  i've wanted to read that one!

i kind of feel embarrassed to say what i'm reading, but what the hell.  i'm reading the bathroom book.  it's basically a collection of extremely condensed books.  it's perfect to read a "book" or two every night before bed and learn something.  i thought that after spending the last two months re-reading all of my old calvin and hobbes and edward gorey collections that i could probably use that last half hour before i go to bed to put something in my brain that my subconscious could solidify through the night.  plus, there are a lot of really wonderful historical figures that i don't know anything about.  and i also thought that if i found somebody or something really interesting, then i could do further research.

but it's kind of non-committal.  so it might be time for a new, beefy full-length.

Have you read Omnivore's Dilemma by Pollan?  

LizKingette highly recommend's that one.  I've read a few bathroom books in my day - they are packed with all sorts of random knowledge.

I just started Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Pirsig -  got it as a gift, not far into it yet, but it seems like a decent read.