Started by wellfleet, Apr 30, 2006, 12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkoehler

Quote-When You Are Engulfed In Flames

-Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang

Both made me  ;D until I  :'(

Now

Genius Of The Absurd
We were excited to see Chelsea announce a St Louis date for the CCBB Tour....until I saw the ticket prices. I will not be supporting her vodka habit based on the prices ($75 YIKES).

No shi*t?! I know she was just in Denver, but I totally missed it!
My wife actually said she would go. She never wants to go to shows with me. We were totally bummed how much it is.

weeniebeenie

Just finished reading The Great Gatsby.
I felt so sorry for him.
How loud can silence get?

Paulie_Walnuts

Quotejust finished:
the highest tide - jim lynch

reading:
The White Spider - Heinrich Harrer (a bit grisly in places, but he has such a great writing style, and definitely knows exactly what he's writing about - the first ascent of the Eiger)
The Beach - Alex Garland

I really enjoyed everything is illuminated - it took me a while to get into it, but he's got such a different writing style. i've also read The History of Love by his wife Nicole Krauss - veeeery similar writing style, but i actually think i enjoyed hers more.

anyone seen the film of everything is illuminated? i've heard its a bit different to the book (minus all the "past" storylines)

The White Spider.....wow that's a blast from the past! I remember it on my dad's bookshelf when I was a kid. I even gave myself the CB radio handle "White Spider" as a result!
Paulie W

Paulie_Walnuts

QuoteI just finished Columbine.  Quite the sobering reminder I guess. :-/  Back when I was in school and clerking, I drafted the new mental health records privacy waiver for purchasing firearms in Maryland following the panic caused by Va. Tech.

I'm not sure what to think of the book but I guess I'm glad I read it.

Now for a cheery book :)

After seeing your post I picked up Columbine as well. What a great read. A great example of why not to believe what you see on tv or read in the papers. All the stuff I had picked up from the initial reporting was debunked immediately.

I'm getting into non-fiction more and more the older I get. I'm currently reading Tell Me No Lies edited by John Pilger. It's a collection of some of the best examples of investigative journalism throughout history. The current chapter is Seymour Hersh's 1970 account of the My Lai massacre and it's definitely made me want to read more about that.

There's also a great article from Jessica Mitford in 1963 called 'The American Way Of Death' detailing the way American's have fallen for the marketing success and one of the biggest rip-offs of all time, the American funeral service.

Tell Me No Lies is a big book and I'm only on Chapter 6, but there are articles on Apartheid Death Squads, Lockerbie cover-ups, Britain's Miner's Strike, Chechnya, and numerous articles on the War Against Terror.

This book should keep me quiet for a while!
Paulie W

Ruckus

QuoteI just finished Columbine.  Quite the sobering reminder I guess. :-/  Back when I was in school and clerking, I drafted the new mental health records privacy waiver for purchasing firearms in Maryland following the panic caused by Va. Tech.

I'm not sure what to think of the book but I guess I'm glad I read it.

Now for a cheery book :)

After seeing your post I picked up Columbine as well. What a great read. A great example of why not to believe what you see on tv or read in the papers. All the stuff I had picked up from the initial reporting was debunked immediately.

I'm getting into non-fiction more and more the older I get. I'm currently reading Tell Me No Lies edited by John Pilger. It's a collection of some of the best examples of investigative journalism throughout history. The current chapter is Seymour Hersh's 1970 account of the My Lai massacre and it's definitely made me want to read more about that.

There's also a great article from Jessica Mitford in 1963 called 'The American Way Of Death' detailing the way American's have fallen for the marketing success and one of the biggest rip-offs of all time, the American funeral service.

Tell Me No Lies is a big book and I'm only on Chapter 6, but there are articles on Apartheid Death Squads, Lockerbie cover-ups, Britain's Miner's Strike, Chechnya, and numerous articles on the War Against Terror.

This book should keep me quiet for awhile!

I'm glad you enjoyed Columbine.  At times I felt it contained some overdramatization (or stretching to fill the gaps).  However the psychological examination of the two I found to be fascinating.  

Tell Me No Lies sounds interesting.  Gonna see if our library has it.

I just finished reading Stieg Larsson's "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo."  It was ok at best as a murder mystery but I really enjoyed it because it was set in Sweden and had a very distinct feel to it.

Am on the verge of finishing Anthony Bourdain's "Nasty Bits."  Man I love him.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Soulshine

Just finished....

-Cocktails for Three

-The Two Step

Currently Reading....

-The Four Agreements (for the tenth time.)  :)
Because we're all in this together...

MarkW

Just finished American Rust by Philipp Meyer.  Great book - if you like Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy, this would be for you.  It's got the same spare prose style and is nicely constructed.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Soulshine

Because we're all in this together...

.Walt

Just got my copy of Who Killed?John Lennon...sound the X-Files music, in an hour it's about to get real full of conspiracy.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

ophidiophobia

I'm currently reading The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo. I've enjoyed what I have read so far other than some of the Swedish dialect I struggle with understanding.
Are the other books in the trilogy the same story or are the other books dealing with different plots but with the same characters? Normally I just look this sort of info up on Wikipedia but I don't want to know the rest of the story I just want to know if the story line continues into the other books.

Ruckus

QuoteI'm currently reading The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo. I've enjoyed what I have read so far other than some of the Swedish dialect I struggle with understanding.
Are the other books in the trilogy the same story or are the other books dealing with different plots but with the same characters? Normally I just look this sort of info up on Wikipedia but I don't want to know the rest of the story I just want to know if the story line continues into the other books.
I'm reading the second one right now.  You don't necessarily have to have read the first to get to the second. The stories are related only in where the main characters stand after the first book in relation to one another.  They do move forward chronologically (Fire happens after Dragon Tattoo), but it is an entirely new novel with a new storyline.

I'm enjoying the Girl Who Played With Fire more than Dragon Tattoo.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

tdb810

Just finished "After the Workshop" by John McNally...pretty good.

Just started "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," about 30 pages in...hoping to finish it while away on vacay.  :)
.....Back at the Model Home

MarkW

QuoteI'm currently reading The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo. I've enjoyed what I have read so far other than some of the Swedish dialect I struggle with understanding.
I'm reading the second one right now.  You don't necessarily have to have read the first to get to the second. The stories are related only in where the main characters stand after the first book in relation to one another.  They do move forward chronologically (Fire happens after Dragon Tattoo), but it is an entirely new novel with a new storyline.

I'm enjoying the Girl Who Played With Fire more than Dragon Tattoo.

In the middle of the third (Hornets' Nest) now.  They get better and better.

Next book is going to be Matterhorn.  Looking forward to it.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

.Walt

I'm starting to read all the Harry Porter books (never seen any of the movies). I finished the first one. That's right, I can read at a 5th grade level! Can't wait to go back to the library, run right into the kids section, grab a 7 year old, and yell at him that I'm better at reading then he is!  

I did feel like a creep going into the kids section, fuck you Chris Hanson! The single moms thought I was sensitive.  
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

lucylew

Am reading "Orange is the new black" by Piper Kerman.  Story about a woman doing time in a women's prison.  Mildly interesting.

AMightyCaporal

I'm reading The Hunger Games series... they are young adult fiction but really really fun to read.  Great story, very imaginative.  My sister bought me the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier Clay which she tells me is awesome- so that's next on my list!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

mjkoehler

QuoteI'm starting to read all the Harry Porter books (never seen any of the movies). I finished the first one. That's right, I can read at a 5th grade level! Can't wait to go back to the library, run right into the kids section, grab a 7 year old, and yell at him that I'm better at reading then he is!  

I did feel like a creep going into the kids section, fuck you Chris Hanson! The single moms thought I was sensitive.  
the first one is really the only one that is kiddieish. 2 sort of is, but it starts to get dark. 3 on, shit gets dark. Books are so much better then the movies but the movies are good. There are some changes in the movies that left me scratching my head but I can seperate the movies from the books and just enjoy them.

Hawkeye

Anyone heard of "Waves" by Ogan Gurel?  I think this will be the next book I read...sounds crazy good on so many levels.

check out the wiki page and tell me it doesn't sound like a good read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waves_(novel)
We could.

Hawkeye

Ok...headed to Italy on Sunday for 12 days...will have lots of reading time on planes, trains, etc...

Any recommendations for good "travel" books...not books about travelling, but good books to read WHILE travelling?
We could.

Penny Lane

QuoteOk...headed to Italy on Sunday for 12 days...will have lots of reading time on planes, trains, etc...

Any recommendations for good "travel" books...not books about travelling, but good books to read WHILE travelling?

Have a great trip! Any Nick Hornby or Klosterman books..?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill