Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

Thanks Penny!  I think I'm going with:

Waves - Ogan Gurel
House of Leaves - Mark Danielewski
Breakfast of Champions - Vonnegut
Everyman - Philip Roth
Rejuvenile - Christopher Noxon

I've read Klosterman IV...definitely a nice and light, funny traveling read...good suggestion :)
We could.

Penny Lane

QuoteThanks Penny!  I think I'm going with:

Waves - Ogan Gurel
Everyman - Philip Roth

I've read Klosterman IV...definitely a nice and light, funny traveling read...good suggestion :)

or...since you're going to italia, you should take 'eat pray love' (lol)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Hawkeye

Waves - Ogan Gurel
Everyman - Philip Roth

Would I still get to keep my man card?   ;D
We could.

Soulshine

QuoteOk...headed to Italy on Sunday for 12 days...will have lots of reading time on planes, trains, etc...

Any recommendations for good "travel" books...not books about travelling, but good books to read WHILE travelling?

I think I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance when I backpacked Europa.

Currently reading:  The Voice of Knowledge
Because we're all in this together...

Penny Lane

Waves - Ogan Gurel
Everyman - Philip Roth

Would I still get to keep my man card?   ;D

ask the gfriend to read it and just read over her shoulder. i do that on the train...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

QuoteI just finished Columbine.  Quite the sobering reminder I guess. :-/  Back when I was in school and clerking, I drafted the new mental health records privacy waiver for purchasing firearms in Maryland following the panic caused by Va. Tech.

I'm not sure what to think of the book but I guess I'm glad I read it.

Now for a cheery book :)

After seeing your post I picked up Columbine as well. What a great read. A great example of why not to believe what you see on tv or read in the papers. All the stuff I had picked up from the initial reporting was debunked immediately.

I'm getting into non-fiction more and more the older I get. I'm currently reading Tell Me No Lies edited by John Pilger. It's a collection of some of the best examples of investigative journalism throughout history. The current chapter is Seymour Hersh's 1970 account of the My Lai massacre and it's definitely made me want to read more about that.

There's also a great article from Jessica Mitford in 1963 called 'The American Way Of Death' detailing the way American's have fallen for the marketing success and one of the biggest rip-offs of all time, the American funeral service.

Tell Me No Lies is a big book and I'm only on Chapter 6, but there are articles on Apartheid Death Squads, Lockerbie cover-ups, Britain's Miner's Strike, Chechnya, and numerous articles on the War Against Terror.

This book should keep me quiet for a while!
Checking out your White Denim post reminded me of this other recommendation.   [smiley=beer.gif]I picked up a copy of Tell Me No Lies about a month ago from our library.  I've only made it through the 1st 6 pieces while being distracted by crappy pop fiction thrillers but what I have read has been excellent.  I have to keep reupping at the library because it's not the type of book at I can get at for hours at a time.  However, one or two pieces at a time is perfect.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Paulie_Walnuts

I'm still reading it too! I'm still enjoying it immensely, although like you I'm dipping in and out of it. The Chapter on the Lockerbie cover-up is fantastic. The more I read this book the more I realise how the system is fucked up. Politicians have got a lot of shit to answer for!
Paulie W

pawpaw

Chronic City - Jonathan Lethem

It's really, REALLY good.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

mahg33ta

I'm finding The Other Wes Moore worthwhile (disclaimer: not done yet)

Ruckus

Bump for Woody.

Just started reading a Game of Thrones
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Soulshine

My Sisters Made of Light
Because we're all in this together...

woodnymph

THANK YOU KINDLY SIR!!!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

lil sis

Just picked up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this weekend.  It's a little hard to get into but now so far so good.

I've heard that the 2nd book is the best in the trilogy.
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

tdb810

QuoteJust picked up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this weekend.  It's a little hard to get into but now so far so good.

I finished that a few weeks ago...it does take a little while to get into, but it's well worth it.  For me, I think initially it was difficult to pick up some of the cultural reference and name pronunciation.  I kept getting hung up on that, but once you get past that, it's really a page turner  ;D
.....Back at the Model Home

ALady

I read that this summer - wasn't too enamored with it, felt like reading an action movie at times?   ;D  I dunno.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I was looking for at the time, I guess.

Other recent reads - Ask the Dust - John Fante (recommended if you dig on that whole manchild Hunter S. Thompson thing) The House of Spirits - Isabel Allende (favorite book I've read in a long while, mystical realism FTW!) Hearts West - can't recall the author, it's nonfictional accounts of mail-order brides on the American frontier, really humorous and tragic at turns, and My Invented Country - Isabel Allende, musings on her home country of Chile and its people.  Really self-deprecating and humorous.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Rizzos Girl

QuoteJust picked up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo this weekend.  It's a little hard to get into but now so far so good.

I finished that a few weeks ago...it does take a little while to get into, but it's well worth it.  For me, I think initially it was difficult to pick up some of the cultural reference and name pronunciation.  I kept getting hung up on that, but once you get past that, it's really a page turner  ;D
Ok so this is the first time I'm posting anything on the forum - been reading a while  just not participated - and I can't believe its on the topic of books - but had to comment - just finished the trilogy myself and enjoyed them all - had the same struggles getting started but it finally clicked after the 3rd or 4th chapter and I couldn't put them down, once I got past the whole swedish thing.  But I got to the point that every time they broke to make "coffee and sandwiches" I had to giggle.  Enjoy the read!

ALady

Welcome to the forum, Rizzos Girl!   :)

And oh man, I know.  So many sandwiches!   ;D
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

tdb810

Excited to start reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  We have a long car trip to NC this week so hope to read more than 15 pages per night, which is my usual :)

Just finished "Eat,  Pray, LOve"  just so so IMO....

Welcome Rizzo!!

kydiddle

QuoteExcited to start reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  We have a long car trip to NC this week so hope to read more than 15 pages per night, which is my usual :)

Welcome Rizzo!!

I LOVED "The Help". It's not perfect, but it's a great story and a really fast read. They're doing a movie, too. :)

"Eat, Pray Love" was so meh. And the movie was a double meh. Avoid it at all costs, tdb.

Hello Rizzo!!  :)
Cow temperature.

tdb810

QuoteExcited to start reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  We have a long car trip to NC this week so hope to read more than 15 pages per night, which is my usual :)

Welcome Rizzo!!

I LOVED "The Help". It's not perfect, but it's a great story and a really fast read. They're doing a movie, too. :)

"Eat, Pray Love" was so meh. And the movie was a double meh. Avoid it at all costs, tdb.

Hello Rizzo!!  :)

I will definitely avoid the movie.....even though one of my cousin's fair trade purses is "featured" on the lovely ms. roberts character.  
So funny you said "meh"...that is exactly how i felt.  I had high expectations I guess....Italy was so-so, I liked the food chat... India and the Yoga part was annoying as hell....and Bali was just ....well, "meh"....i found it all a bit overly self indulgent on the writer's part..

Ok, can't wait for "the help"