Main Menu

Early 90's music

Started by Tracy 2112, Apr 11, 2011, 12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fully

Perhaps one of the most epic, post-apacolypse rap battles proving that California knows how to party:

http://youtu.be/37wSwAJ98Zk

And Ruckus, I see your Tribe Called Quest and raise you one Black Sheep

http://youtu.be/GHy5F0vayl8

Might be too pop for you, though ;)

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

Fully

I forgot that one! Love it! My students this year seem to know a little Black Sheep. Interesting that after 20 years, they finally know it. It must have came out on a movie or someone sampled it.

Jon T.

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Sep 05, 2012, 05:43 PM
Jon I absolutely love that Fugazi clip; that whole scene is mind blowing to me.

Pretty crazy.  None of those guys look like they would take much grief from anyone, yet they're all there rocking their balls off and being respectful of each other.

I love the Helmet vid when the guys yells, "are you going to play or just look pretty?".  Then they go into what is still one of the greatest riffs of all time.

Clarkwork

I say this is the greatest era in music. Just an amazing time and great sounds. Thanks for bringing back great memories.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

manonthemoon

The 90's was by far the golden age for music, so many good bands and groups back then.  Sadly some are not around anymore.

ODB- Brooklyn Zoo Video  ODB

Pantera- Hollow tribute to dime Pantera

Alice in Chains- Nutshell (lyrics)  AnC
Alive or Just Breathing

Crispy

Quote from: manonthemoon on Sep 06, 2012, 10:13 PM
The 90's was by far the golden age for music...

This is hogwash. The golden age of music? Hip-hop, okay, yes—rock, no. The 90s were good, but the 70s ruled. Rock, hard rock, progressive rock, garage rock, R&B, funk, soul, punk, folk, country, etc.

/shaking grumpy old man fist—hey wait, I was in college in the 90s/
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

vespachick

You kids get off my lawn!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Darkstarflashes

Quote from: Crispy on Sep 06, 2012, 10:49 PM

Quote from: manonthemoon on Sep 06, 2012, 10:13 PM
The 90's was by far the golden age for music...

This is hogwash. The golden age of music? Hip-hop, okay, yes—rock, no. The 90s were good, but the 70s ruled. Rock, hard rock, progressive rock, garage rock, R&B, funk, soul, punk, folk, country, etc.

/shaking grumpy old man fist—hey wait, I was in college in the 90s/
I agree! (Other comments removed due to messing with too many people's heads and hearts.)
Peace!
Darkstarflashes

ManNamedTruth

Saying that about an art form is narrow minded and ignorant. Yes their is a lot of crap rap out there, but you gotta dig a little deeper. That's like saying MMJ is crap because all rock music sucks, if all you ever heard was Nickelback and the other shit they pass off as rock music these days.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

You remind me of the idiot rednecks at the bar when I go to the digital jukebox, that tell (warn) me not to play rap, not that i was planning to anyway.  :evil:
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

woodnymph

Aw shucks, I hear where the guy's comin' from... it took me an eon to get into hip-hop, and I *ONLY DID* because of Bob Marley's son (and my devotional love of Bob). And he has enough crap rap to go around... but his spiritual-themed numbers get me. Then I got into the spiritual Beastie Boys material (once I realized there WAS such a thing, a la MCA & Buddhism)  I very randomly liked Bone Thuggs "Crossroads" when I was 14... go figure, it has spiritual significance in it.... and I used to like to memorize all the fast flyin' lyrics of the Barenaked Ladies, in 7th grade (so, not...um... rap....or...spiritual... but fast as shit lyrics, none-the-less!) I even managed to infiltrate the "popular crowd" for 15 minutes of fame with my abilities to remember AND flow the lyrics to One Week. #shutupimproud  :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:

ANYWAYYY, I get it. Good hip hop is hard to just find... True, your awesome hip hop cd gift is grrrreatt, I really enjoy it!!

That being said, I rarely am ever in the mood to hear hip hop these days, but every once in a blue moon it's fun to dig out.... darkstar, as True truly states, there sure is a hip-hop world out there to explore, but like anything else, it's not everyone's cuppa tea.. 
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Fully

While I don't agree with Darkstarflashes, I understand where he's coming from. I feel lucky to have grown up during the early days of hip/hop. Not everybody feels that way though. It doesn't speak to all people, and I've never thought rap intended to speak to everyone. I enjoy a great vulgar hip/hop song quite often, but it isn't the pinnacle of the genre. I just enjoy hearing it. I also enjoy several mc's who are more lyrical and inventive with their word play. Lately I've really enjoyed Childish Gambino even though he's probably more pop  hip/hop than intellectual. His word play is interesting though and he covers topics that aren't always typical. Plus he's got a guy in his band who is a pretty good violinist. As a matter of fact, his band is one of the things I really enjoy about him. It's much more interesting to see a guy rap with a band backing him than a dj. Even though I've seen some amazing shows where there is only a dj. I think of watching Jay Z at bonnaroo on the main stage. He had that huge crowd in the palm of his hand all night. It was one of the most "religious" shows I've ever seen. To see that many people came to bow down to the alter of Hova was a thing of wonder and awe. There is so much variety in hiphop that it has to be looked at closely to find the good. There is definitely plenty of bad hip/hop out there. For every Mos Def, there's a Gucci Mane. Or to put it in rock terms, for every Wilco there's a 311 out there.

Darkstarflashes

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Sep 07, 2012, 12:43 AM
You remind me of the idiot rednecks at the bar when I go to the digital jukebox, that tell (warn) me not to play rap, not that i was planning to anyway.  :evil:
I'm sorry to have made you so angry to make you feel you have to insult me by calling me (or at least saying I remind you of ) an idiot redneck. One thing I am not is a redneck. I have removed the statements that got you so upset. Sorry again. I will be leaving now.
Peace!
Darkstarflashes

Ruckus

I'll never understand music fans that make blanket statements like rap music or dubstep is crap and isn't music.  To discount different genres can only lessen your credibility in discussing the wide world of music.  You don't have to like it but the way people just shove it aside as substandard crap is beyond me.  It's no different that saying I know good food, I only eat fine dining but not street food or classical French cuisine but not Pan Asian.  Similarly, discountable would be those that argue recycled art isn't art.  Such blanket stances only discredit the speaker in the wider discourse of the subject at hand, whether it be music, food, or art.

The above mentioned genres are rhythm based meant to make you really get down.  Rhythm based music well predated rock n' roll and laid the foundation for it's birth.  Similarly, so many fans that repeat the mantra of rap/hip-hop or electronic music is crap, don't mind that an electronically manipulated six string machine is a prerequisite to 90% of the music that they listen to.  Naah man, that's real music because he's playing it.  Right, drums?  check.  bass?  check.  guitar? check.  keyboard?  optional.  = formula for real music.

Here's a great article about DJ Zedd.  He is an accomplished musician who applies his knowledge to modern technologies to work from a much much wider sonic palette.  I urge haters to read it and shoot, I'm a Skrillex hater.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/arts/music/prodigies-leap-beyond-electronic-dance-music.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www

Now I'm about to post some shit that'll blow everyone's mind.  It's not hip hop.  It's not rock.  It's the best.  90's finest.
Color Me Badd - I Wanna Sex You Up
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

Awww, tick tock, ya don't stop! :thumbsup:

I hate Skrillex. It's a blanket statement and I don't care who knows it. I can't imagine anything he could do except quit making "music" that I would support.

Let's not forget that the nineties also gave us this classic:

http://youtu.be/uB1D9wWxd2w

Ruckus

Quote from: Fully on Sep 07, 2012, 09:50 AM

I hate Skrillex. It's a blanket statement and I don't care who knows it. I can't imagine anything he could do except quit making "music" that I would support.

Yeah.  Funny thing is the highlight of the 4 day Scapescape here was some random DJ we saw after a killer Sri Aurobindo set and prior to the the Horselords set at 1:00am that I was most looking forward to. 

Sorry to hijack.  I'm done.

The Jayhawks Live - Miss Williams' Guitar - 2011

DJ Shadow - Building Steam with a Grain of Salt

The Roots - Section [Illadelph Halflife] 1996

no shame - great album
Raining in Baltimore

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

iLikeBeer

Didn't see these guys mentioned but I was pretty into them in college:

buffalo tom -summer

Buffalo Tom ~ Sodajerk

Buffalo Tom-Kitchen Door

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 14, 2011, 10:00 AM
I never understood the early 90's rock music.  Generally speaking, it was too unhappy for my taste.

here you go Ruckus (not from the early 90's, but about the early 90's)

Todd Snider - Talking Seattle Grunge Blues.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Devil Ledbetter

I was a teen in the '80s and hated  most '80s music. Through the '80s I listened to rock music from the late '60s and early '70s (okay, also The Smiths and The Cure who I will defend to the death). I thought the worst of '80s music was what passed for "rock": that steaming pile of hairspray, guyliner, spandex, cheesy lyrics and predictable riffs. So I was thrilled when '90s grunge came along. It was like rock came back to life.
We understand it's the '90s.