"One Big Holiday" in MEXICO!!

Started by parkervb, Jun 11, 2013, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Quote from: BigHerm on Oct 23, 2013, 02:40 PM
I cant even check the board anymore.

It huuuurts.

this was me during T5. Then when it actually came to the day of the show, it hurt more.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

EverythingChanges

It huuuurts.

I feel your pain. I hope the set rocks for those who go, and MMJ pulls out some new songs.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

ericm

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 23, 2013, 04:14 PM

It huuuurts.

this was me during T5. Then when it actually came to the day of the show, it hurt more.

Thanks for the warning E. When it hits mid January I'm just gonna flip my calendar to Feb so I won't be reminded of the days of OBH.  :wink: I figure that, and not checking in here for a while should take the sting out of not going, and maybe it'll hurt a little less. 

I hope everyone going has a blast, and the shows are amazing.  :beer: I'll just have to be content with looking forward to the new album  and hopefully a tour in 2014.   
"Where's Jim going?"

MrWhippy

For those of you not familiar with Mariachi El Bronx, they are a really fun and entertaining live band.  It's an offshoot of the LA punk band The Bronx, and they do songs by The Bronx in mariachi style. 

They are great musicians and put a really cool spin on mariachi music.  I saw them a few years ago at Coachella and liked it way more than I was expecting to.

I agree with e_wind, I don't see this announcement doing much to sell more tix, it just seems like a great treat for those already planning to go. 

I'm really thrilled about the three bands announced, and it just feels like a gesture by MMJ to make this thing as great as possible.  Think about it, they could have had no openers and no one would have complained.  They are spending a bunch of money they didn't really have to spend to give those of us attending some very sweet icing on the cake.  Bravo boys!   :thumbsup:
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

bartel

if I wasn't already pissed I couldn't go.

MMJCOBRA

Am I the only one concerned that this means normal show lengths for MMJ?  Was hoping for bonnaroo or red rocks style marathon sets.  I feel like I am to Christopher Walken as MMJ is to cowbell.

Thoughts?

Fully

Quote from: unravelled on Oct 23, 2013, 11:32 PM
Am I the only one concerned that this means normal show lengths for MMJ?  Was hoping for bonnaroo or red rocks style marathon sets.  I feel like I am to Christopher Walken as MMJ is to cowbell.

Thoughts?
At Red Rocks there were two openers each night. Who knows how long they'll play, but let's hope they play til the sun comes up. (I'm not even going, but I hope all of you get great shows just for making it all the way down there and putting in the financial commitment.)

MrWhippy

I have no concerns that these additions will mean less MMJ.  Red Rocks had openers (2), Port Chester had openers.  I think the only time there have not been openers is 2008. 
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

gluvmiller

I agree with a lot of these last statements. I think actually it was Cloud9 that forked out the money to add these additional artists. Typically the deal is set with the band in the beginning and any changes that happen after that are all through the producer. Tehy're the ones at risk They are very concerned about providing a stellar product considering the cost we pay for these excursions. I'm sure the deals made with these added bands goes beyond this specific trip. For example, Cloud9 could make a deal with the Lips promising to book them for maybe next year's Jam Cruise if they'll do One Big Holiday for a good price.

As far as the length of sets by MMJ, we're not going to get let down. Again, everyone is aware the money and sacrifices made by the fans to go on this trip. They're not going to slack and that includes the band(s), Cloud9 and the resort. I mean, lets think about the resort. First it is brand new and they want us all to love it so we'll recommend it to others and even consider returning for future vacations. Second, it's the Hard Rock which is Rock-n-Roll themed. I think they know what that lifestyle entails. They're not going to shut down the show because its getting late and we could disturb the neighbors.

APR

Why am I surprised  that Mr. Whippy has not only heard of  but also seen Mariachi El Bronx?    I shouldn't be.  Thanks for the insight as now I'm interested in checking them out.

I wonder if these other bands are each going to play one night or every night?  Doesn't matter.  I think MMJ will get to play as long as they want.  As gluv said.... no neighbors.

I like the idea of Cloud9 and Hard Rock trying to pull off as great an event as possible.  It makes sense being a big company with this new property, etc.    I also think The Flaming Lips have some die hard fans that would go for this trip just for them.  But this announcement isn't going to sell tons of extra tickets.    Adding friends of the band like PHJB is less surprising then a big band like The Flaming Lips.

joey_rogo

The Flaming Lips just tweeted that they broke up. Joke? Real?

edit: tweet deleted

edit edit: twas a joke.

NEVERMIND CARRY ON

rincon2

What are the chances that this extravaganza will be professionaly recorded, like Okonokos? They are due for a new commercial video, and this is a landmark event. I could easily see a double DVD including some opening band stuff, incidental event scenes, and 2-3 hours of live MMJ. 

MMJCOBRA

Muchas gracias for the very nicely put chill pill. If no impact on MMJ set times I'm good. The newly added bands seem to fit the bill. 

Thanks again for the reality check. That's why I love MMJ and their fans!

gluvmiller

Quote from: rincon2 on Oct 24, 2013, 10:57 PM
What are the chances that this extravaganza will be professionaly recorded, like Okonokos? They are due for a new commercial video, and this is a landmark event. I could easily see a double DVD including some opening band stuff, incidental event scenes, and 2-3 hours of live MMJ.

I'd buy it!!! Plus it would hopefully sell well for those who could not make the trip.

APR

The One Big Holiday announcement was so long ago, but I think I remember reading that there will be a code to download each show after the event (similar to the three PC shows).  We'll get some professionaly sounding audio but doubtful video.   Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Come Closer

Room booked, now just need to book flights. Can't wait.

gundy

For all those that just booked your rooms, AWESOME! Please consider adding your names/handles to the list/thread *ROLL CALL* - ONE BIG HOLIDAY IN MEXICO. It'll be good to know how many of us in the forum will actually be there.

Oh, and is it tacky to start a countdown?    :undecided:

rincon2

Quote from: TheDark on Jul 17, 2013, 01:48 PM
Here is a view of the area where the concerts will be. This is going to be insane!  Spring Break fantasy.  http://www.oyster.com/cancun/hotels/aventura-spa-palace/photos/grounds--v1144845-82/

I think the dance party is going to be in one of the ballrooms. Probably the first night.
This place no longer exists. It is the pallet for what they created. I am asuming the shows will be where the gardens with a guitar shape is. Much better than a vacant patio. SELECT THE WHOLE LINK BEFORE CLICKING
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=hard+rock+cancun&data=!1m4!1m3!1d1648!2d-86.7702016!3d21.0892849!2m1!1e3!4m15!2m14!1m13!1s0x8f4c2be755457aaf%3A0x3d2f77d7c224c67c!3m8!1m3!1d46736!2d-119.0340535!3d34.2220485!3m2!1i1280!2i680!4f13.1!4m2!3d21.089405!4d-86.769987&fid=7

Ruckus

Quote from: rincon2 on Oct 26, 2013, 10:09 AM
Here is a view of the area where the concerts will be. This is going to be insane!  Spring Break fantasy.  http://www.oyster.com/cancun/hotels/aventura-spa-palace/photos/grounds--v1144845-82/

I think the dance party is going to be in one of the ballrooms. Probably the first night.
This place no longer exists. It is the pallet for what they created. I am asuming the shows will be where the gardens with a guitar shape is. Much better than a vacant patio. SELECT THE WHOLE LINK BEFORE CLICKING
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=hard+rock+cancun&data=!1m4!1m3!1d1648!2d-86.7702016!3d21.0892849!2m1!1e3!4m15!2m14!1m13!1s0x8f4c2be755457aaf%3A0x3d2f77d7c224c67c!3m8!1m3!1d46736!2d-119.0340535!3d34.2220485!3m2!1i1280!2i680!4f13.1!4m2!3d21.089405!4d-86.769987&fid=7
You mean the banjomometer?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

jaye

Quote from: rincon2 on Oct 26, 2013, 10:09 AM

That link is for Hard Rock in Cancun.  OBH will be down the coast about an hour - just a bit past Playa Del Carmen.