NCAA Football 2007-2008

Started by AngryEwok, Aug 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

primushead

BTW, what was the deal with the Georgia team celebration after one TD?  I mean, I hate Florida and all, but it seemed a little unneccesary.

Angry Ewok

Damn, the SEC just cannot be touched. The Vols and the Cocks had plenty of opportunities to win, but it came down to a missed field goal. Wow.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Angry Ewok

Enjoy that cold trot around the neighborhood, Brian!

ycartrob

QuoteBTW, what was the deal with the Georgia team celebration after one TD?  I mean, I hate Florida and all, but it seemed a little unneccesary.

What I heard was Georgia's coach told his players before the game that they better get an excessive celbration penalty after their first TD of the game (an odd way of challenging the players to be fired up).

Angry Ewok

Richt is usually fairly strict on his players when it comes to celebrating and whatnot... that entire game, littered with penalties, was just nasty. They pulled out all the stops, for sure. I suppose this makes them the lead in the East? Hopefully they'll hold onto the SEC East so Alabama can have a rematch with them in Atlanta ( ;) ).

Mississippi State whipped Kentucky's ass, too. The highlights of that one just blew my fucking mind. I guess after taking down Auburn and Kentucky, and perhaps a few more before it's all said and done, we can expect to see Croom another year. Gotta hand it to him!

;D

primushead

Quote10-7 OSU aMD.

It's close... 8-)

Well, I guess OSU is for real in the Big 10.  That game wasn't even close!

Great games in the SEC and Pac-10 though.  I'm glad to see USC went down again.

MMJ_fanatic

YES! My (UCONN) Huskies go 7-1 with their defeat of USF.  Damn I gotta get to the new stadium for a game this year.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

aMD

I just wanted to remind everyone that [size=18]THE Ohio State Buckeyes are #1[/size]

sweatboard

Well, Lamarcus "The Smoker" Coker has just been kicked off the University Of Tennessee's football team for good today after his fourth positive drug test.  He WAS our biggest threat on offense.  
There's Still Time.........

primushead

Sorry for your loss Brad :(

I really thought they had it for a second...close game though, and props to the Tide for giving LSU a tough fight.

Angry Ewok

It sucks that we couldn't quite snatch it, but I'm really proud of my Crimson Tide. For the majority of the game, Alabama beat the living hell out of the best team in the country. After that showing, I think Alabama's rank should have gone up ...

There were two calls from the referees that had the stadium in an uproar. One in particular cost us the game, perhaps... that is what stings the most with this loss, knowing that our victory was an overturned call away. I won't go into the conspiracy of having SEC Officials lean towards a team that could get the conference another National Title, over a team where the SEC Title was the sky's limit... but a lot of folks left that stadium feeling cheated. LSU fans weren't happy about it either, since it sort of tainted their victory.

Awesome football game, either way. Typical SEC Rivalry game.

So, 11 out of 12 SEC Teams will be bowl eligible, this year. I wonder how many of those teams will make the cut? The Southern Conference has got to be pretty appealing for the bowl sponsors, I would think... easily the best football in the nation, and most of our schools travel extremely well and spend tons of cash.

ycartrob

QuoteFor the majority of the game, Alabama beat the living hell out of the best team in the country.

There were two calls from the referees that had the stadium in an uproar. One in particular cost us the game, perhaps... that is what stings the most with this loss, knowing that our victory was an overturned call away. I won't go into the conspiracy of having SEC Officials lean towards a team that could get the conference another National Title, over a team where the SEC Title was the sky's limit... but a lot of folks left that stadium feeling cheated. LSU fans weren't happy about it either, since it sort of tainted their victory.

I love delusional babma fans! lol   Beat the living hell out of LSU? Look at the stats, silly:

First Downs     LSU- 21   bama- 20
 Total yards      LSU- 475   bama- 254
  bama had   33 rushes for 20 yards!
 and ol QB Elroy Jimmy Bob was 14/40

good grief man, what game were you watching?

and the refs?

Check the stats again, crybaby:
LSU- 14 penalties for 130 yards.
Alabama-  2 penalties for 15 yards.

And Bama fan wants to still cry about the officiating? 14 penalties vs 2; 130 yards in penalties vs 15, but the refs were leaning towards LSU? Makes PERFECT SENSE from those stats, huh? poor, poor bama just couldn't get a break from the big bad refs.  ;D ;D

How about you stop LSU on 4 and 4 with the lead and the game on the line? How about you don't fumble the ball on your own 15 with less than 2 minutes? How about your receiver holds onto the ball on your last offensive play? How about you quit crying about the refs, who penalized LSU 7x more for 8x as many yards? Face it, LSU made the plays at the end, bama didn't.

so tired of crybabies

ycartrob

and I'm a life long fan of SEC football, and I'd say this is a down year for the SEC. Outside of LSU beating Va Tech, the SEC has sucked outside of conference. Cal torched UT, USF beat Auburn, Fla St beat bama, West Virginia lit up Miss. St., Mizzou beats Ole Miss

I mean, who have we beat outside of conference this year that's any good? Just about any team we have played from a major conference has beaten us.

I'm not so sold on how big and bad we are, going into November.

Angry Ewok

Delusional? Probably. But Alabama put up 3 unanswered touchdowns and a field goal in the second and third quarters. The momentum was definitely in our favor for the majority of the game, as well. Delusional? Maybe so. Crybaby? No way. But that's funny anyway coming from an Ole Miss fan,  ;)...

QuoteI'm not so sold on how big and bad we are, going into November.

That's fine, but I see 7 SEC teams in the BCS Top 25, going into November. I think that's twice as many as any other conference in the NCAA. You'll also find that out of the six 3-loss teams in the rankings, five are SEC teams. That is significant. And, like I said before, the only Southern Conference team that isn't to be bowl eligible is your Ole Miss team. 11 out of 12 ain't bad.

As far as the out of conference play is concerned... I can't argue with you on that one, because my biggest gripe about the schedules is that we don't take on bigger names and visit bigger venues. But, I think it's worth noting that SEC teams this year have on their schedule an average of 5 or 6 teams in the Top 25. That's better than most conferences average out, I think, and it is certainly better than most, if not all, of the teams in the Top 10.

EAZYE

The Big 12 has three teams in the top 10 ;)

MJ I'm sorry brother, giving up 76 to Kansas has got to hurt :-/
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

sweatboard

-LSU has worlds of talent and one of the worst coaches in the SEC.  With all that talent on offense Less Miles still has trouble figuring out ways to succeed on offense.  Alabama has a better coach and some big-time playmakers.  In many ways ALABAMA DID beat their ass (when you consider how much Talent LSU has).  It kills me to see LSU out talent people while Les Miles just sits back and smiles.  I was truly broken hearted for Alabama in that game.  I'm a TN fan but I'm also just a huge fan of the SEC.  I'll also tell you right now that if I could trade Ainge for one QB in the SEC it would be John Parker Wilson.  Tebow may be more talented but Wilson is much more Savvy.........Plus, didn't Tebow CRY after the loss to LSU, and that was after he pretended to talk on his cell phone after a TD.   Tebow = Douchebag

-At this point in time the SEC has drawn in some of the best coaches in the Country, recruiting has now been spread between almost every team in the conference instead of the top three in each division.  Parity!  (catch up ole miss  ;))  blah blah blah BRENT SHAFFER!  

-The SEC IS somewhat diluted.  Having said that if you put an all-star team together in each conference (and pick the best coach from each conference to coach that team) the SEC would beat every single other conference out there hands down....FACT!

-It killed me tonight when one of the local sports talk hosts here in Knoxville had the audacity to claim that every other team in the SEC EAST would love to be us right now.  I could believe that every team in the East would love to be in first place but to say they would love to have our team and be facing Arkansas, Vandy, and Kentucky is whole different story.  It's hilarious how the media around here spins everything in order to kiss our coaches ass.  I swear, there can not be a more powerful man in Knoxville than Coach Fulmer.  

There's Still Time.........

aMD

Thank you for pointing out that the SEC is not the best conference in football so I wouldn't have to.  And while we're at it, let's do away with this notion that it's a "down year" for the Big Ten.  Besides OSU, everyone in the Big Ten is underrated.  they have seven bowl eligible teams.  But for some reason they got labelled as being "down" this  year.  Perhaps it's because no one's giving OSU a run for their money, but that doesn't mean they're no good compared to all those 3 and 4 loss SEC teams.  IMO, Purdue should be in the top 25 over UT and Michigan would stomp the hell out of the Bulldogs.

I hope that LSU runs the table so that we can have a Big 10 - SEC showdown in the national championship once again so that the Buckeyes can avenge last year's loss!

Go Buckeyes! Still #1!

Angry Ewok

I hope LSU takes on Ohio State, too.

The Buckeyes are winless against SEC teams in bowl games.

You should see the score comparison... pretty sick.

megisnotreal

I'll also tell you right now that if I could trade Ainge for one QB in the SEC it would be John Parker Wilson.  Tebow may be more talented but Wilson is much more Savvy.........  

if by "savvy" you mean "pretty," then yes.
:-*

arguments aside, i had a good time watching the game this weekend. we may not have won, but i was glad we were able to put up so many points against a powerhouse like lsu.

and i am glad glen dorsey wasn't out for good with injuries. sure, he was on the other team and all, but he's a good player. i'm happy he recovered after auburn chopblocked him two weeks ago.

all in all, i am proud to be a bama girl. javier arenas is my hero this week, and this month is all about one thing for me: the iron bowl. it's on. roll tide.

oh, and how awesome was it that navy ended notre lame's 43-year winning streak?

ycartrob

I am speaking out of logic and reason when I say the SEC is down this year. I am basing it on our out of conference record against the BCS conferences (1-5). Taking the emotion out of the equation makes the big picture clearer. Like saying the refs were doing everything they could to get LSU a win against bama, when in reality, LSU had 14 penalties and bama had 2. If you're looking for a conspiracy theory with the refs, logic and reason say the refs were on the bama side 7-1. But, when you throw in emotion and crimson colored glasses, it looks like the refs had it in for bama.

I mean face it, bama and florida beat Ole Miss by 3 and by 6, and Ole Miss sux. One big play (just one) and Ole Miss beats both of those teams. And Ole Miss eeked out a win over Division 2 NW St over the weekend. Missouri beat us by 2 touchdowns. Can you imagine what oregon would do to Ole Miss?

I'm just saying...overall the talent in the SEC is probably the best, but college football is coming into parity (I think mostly b/c anyone can get on TV now, so the big high school stars don't have to commit to the old TV schools; the traditional powerhouses) and if the SEC is as great as we think, then why are we 1-5 against the other BCS conferences?