NCAA Football 2007-2008

Started by AngryEwok, Aug 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAZYE

QuoteCan we all agree that we hate LSU fans???

I'm personally not a big fan :-/
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

EAZYE

QuoteWhat you aren't factoring in is the fact that both losses for LSU and Georgia came against other S.E.C. teams, and I think we've already determined that it can't be argued that the S.E.C. is by far a supperior confrence.  

;)

Aww come on, let the little guy have his moment in the sun.  This is the first year football has mattered at Mizzou in a long time.  

Angry Ewok

In advance, I gotta say I love you, BH... these grasping at straw posts are always really fun, and I'm sad that BAMA is a few years away from me being able to get into it, too.

QuoteFirst of all, Hawaii proved that they are no Boise State.   They were way overmatched the first time they had a chance to play a top 10 team.  So they are out.  I don't think anyone would argue this fact.

I'm guessing you mean 2007-2008 Hawaii is no 2006-2007 Boise State... I agree with you in that case, and could have told you that when they were 12-0 and looking at an SEC opponent in the Sugar Bowl.

QuoteSecond of all, Missouri easily beat KU on a neutral field by a wide margin and therefore Kansas must be eliminated.

After writing Kansas off all season long, and them still beat Virginia Tech... I'm not gonna sweep them off the slate unless Missouri gets swept, too. But I'll humor you.

QuoteWe now must determine, out of the remaining seven teams with two losses who is the best team.

Head to Head does not work. Very few of these teams played each other and even when they did, it doesn't really prove anything because you just end up going in circles.   For example, Mizzou beat Arkansas who beat LSU who beat Ohio State but lost to Georgia etc, etc.  

Mizzou #4 beat an uncoached and unranked Arkansas, so you won't find many points or elimination considerations based on that... you guys know you had no business facing an unranked team anyway. That was one of those many "damned if you do, damned if you don't" bowl games.

LSU and Georgia haven't played in about three years. The last time they did, Georgia upset a #3 LSU in Athens. They basically spoiled LSU's chances of a National Title, that year, if I remember right.

QuoteSo all we can really do is compare the overall body of work of each team and determine a winner. We will do this by determining who had the "best" losses.   This will be a simple formula of adding together the rankings of the teams that each eligible team lost to, and whoever has the lowest number is the champion.  Simple, eh?

Without looking at the formula, I say it's unfair to judge a team based on losses without counterbalancing that with a judgment on victories... So I'll break it down like this :

Mizzou lost to #6 and #9, losing their conference, but beat #2, #24, and #25.
3-2 against Top 25 teams

Not bad, for Missouri, but not even close to what LSU accomplished. Or Georgia for that matter.

LSU lost in two TRIPLE OT's, one to a #17 and an the other an UR, but beat #1, #9, #12, #14, and two teams ranked #17. They won their conference, the toughest in college football.
6-1 against Top 25 teams

Georgia lost to two NR teams, forcing them out of the conference championship, and beat #10, #11, #16, #18, and #23.
5-0 against Top 25 teams

...and in case you're wondering...

USC lost to an UR and #5, but beat #6, #13, #14, and #24, winning their conference.
4-1 against Top 25 teams

West Virginia lost to #18 and an UR, but beat #4, #20, #22, and #25.
4-1 against Top 25 teams

Ohio State lost to an UR and #2, but beat two teams at #21, and a #25.
3-1 against Top 25 teams
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

Well done Brad.  But even as you just showed, all of those teams lost to an unranked team and Missouri did not.  LSU definately had some better wins, but I would put MU's strength of schedule against any of those other teams.

I would also like to see a average margin of victory of all those teams but I don't think I have time for that.  I'm going to just go ahead and say that ours is the highest until someone proves otherwise. ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

crazylove

QuoteIs this the thread where they're killing babies & kicking puppies?

...............nope just talking college football

;D :o ::) :P :-* :-/ :'(

Love your post ;D  I think it put's eveything into perspective.  
I acutally love college football too, but I realize that everyone has their own opinion and that since we all have teams that we faithfully back, there are bound to be disagreements.
But it just doesn't seem right that anyone(including holier-than-thou college students)
should have the right to tell us who we can or can't back!  Last I heard, we are still living in a free democracy!

I guess boys will be boys!

Save the babies and the puppies :exclamation
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

Angry Ewok

QuoteI would also like to see a average margin of victory of all those teams but I don't think I have time for that.  I'm going to just go ahead and say that ours is the highest until someone proves otherwise.

Average margin of victory won't say much about the quality of the win... but you're wrong, anyway...

Margin averages of the Top 5...

LSU by 18.71 points...
Ohio State by 18.61 points...
Missouri by 16.57 points...
USC by 15.08 points...
Georgia by 12.41 points...

Once again, LSU at #1... Remarkable for an SEC team, and especially with an SEC team where half of its schedule was ranked in the Top 25.

ycartrob

here you go Brad, Bama begins the year being #1 in a football category! (and Ole Miss pulls a #23).

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=880

The DARK

c'mon, south carolina...
In another time, in another place, in another face

primushead

Quotec'mon, south carolina...

Looks like Clemson has the jump on them this year :P

Angry Ewok

Imagine that... BAMA comes off of a 7-6 season and brings in one of the finest recruiting classes in recent history. This is easily our best recruiting class since Coach Bryant's back-to-back National Championships in '78 and '79. That says a lot, I think. The Tide is rising, so they say. I'm loving the polls...

#1 according to Scout
#1 according to Rivals
#1 according to CSTV
#1 according to Fox Sports
#1 according to Stales of Sports Illustrated

...oh, and...

#4 according to ESPN...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Folks here in Tuscaloosa are really more excited about totally mopping the floor with Auburn in the in-state recruiting than the National ranking... but how funny would it be if Terrelle Pryor announced he's coming to BAMA, too?

;D

EAZYE

Now you just have to make sure the Tide doesn't turn into Notre Dame and do nothing with your recruiting classes Angry.  Still got to develop that talent.  We tried to steal ol' Julio Jones right out of your backyard, but alas we came up short.  I've got much respect for Bama you guys are never afraid to play us, so I hope Saban gets it turned around for you guys soon.  Good Luck [smiley=beer.gif]

ycartrob

WOW! I think this story falls in the "I really didn't think this plan through" category:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=771601

EAZYE

QuoteWOW! I think this story falls in the "I really didn't think this plan through" category:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=771601

IDIOT!

But then again everybody who believed him is one too I guess.

Also, how did he not get some type of scholarship.  Did you see how big that kid was.  He must not be very good :-/

Angry Ewok

I think Notre Dame's failure to cultivate talent from a Top 3 recruiting class just goes to show the coaching staff needs some serious adjustment. I watched a portion of a Notre Dame game, last season, and I was just appalled - none of those kids were ready to play. At the beginning of the season I predicted them to lose the first four games or so - I had no idea it'd be that bad, though. If anything, I just wished a bad season on them. Worked out beautifully.

As far as that moron who claimed he had scholarships... he's 6'4, 300... sounds good, but I hear he's too weak to be so heavy. We're talking weak even by Nevada football standards. Gets winded, doesn't have any agility, no speed.

Anyone else coming to Tuscaloosa for the Spring Practice?  :-*

"The fans should know that their positive energy, the atmosphere they created by having 92,000 show up at a spring game - I still hear about that - their positive attitude contributed tremendously," Saban said. "In a lot of ways, this is your recruiting class for all the support you've given us and we certainly do appreciate it."

Penny Lane

charlie weiss-he couldn't have happened to a more deserving program;-)

soooo...is terrell pryor gonna sign w/the buckeyes, U of M, PSU or oregon---what's up w/this kid. he needs to stop stringing penn state fans along and just sign w/OSU already!! nice! he doesn't really fit w/our offense--but i think he wants to be a part of a magical program...not PSU-where QBs go to die. (morelli) we've got 10 NFL starters coming back and a killer offensive line---of course he'll sign w/us. (i hope)

sorry,....bored on a friday and wanted to talk football.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

I guess Charlie Weiss should have taken his videographer with him when he left New England.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

Quotesoooo...is terrell pryor gonna sign w/the buckeyes, U of M, PSU or oregon---

Michigan and Ohio State are the leaders. Penn State is barely hanging in there. Oregon is apparently off the table, which surprises me because I think he'd be the best fit there.

He should just sign to Alabama. We signed an under-rated 4-star with pro-signal, but I'm sure we could fit this kid in.

primushead

I really hate it when kids like this act like premaddonas (primadonnas? spell check).  This kid isn't even out of HIGH SCHOOL and he's acting like this is an NFL draft or something.  I dunno.  Just the fact that he is still waiting after official signing day makes him seem like a douche.  And I know he "needs more time because he's focused on his basketball season), but come on.  When you're rated the #1 overall pick in the nation, you don't need to be doing this.

ycartrob

QuoteI really hate it when kids like this act like premaddonas (primadonnas? spell check).  This kid isn't even out of HIGH SCHOOL and he's acting like this is an NFL draft or something.  I dunno.  Just the fact that he is still waiting after official signing day makes him seem like a douche.  And I know he "needs more time because he's focused on his basketball season), but come on.  When you're rated the #1 overall pick in the nation, you don't need to be doing this.

I actually think it's pretty cool. All these colleges making millions off these kids. Coaches lying to players saying they will stay when they know they are leaving. Make them all sweat a little, no one is going to die.

More power to him.

EAZYE

I coached high school soccer for 5 years and kids like that are just a pain.  We had two really talented kids who were the primadonna types and sometimes I think we were better off without them.  Plus he's in high school,  I know you want to live it up when your that age, but to call a press conference just to tell everyone your still undecided seems a bit much to me.  Just my two cents. ;)