The NFL Thread 2009

Started by capt._headdy, Mar 20, 2009, 01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMightyCaporal

QuoteI don't think they'll get off that easy this weekend with the Colts, but I think they could give them a good run for it. It should be a fun one to watch.

Wow the Titans have become the most fun team in football to watch.  I hope the offensive coordinator tries to become more creative in utilizing VY and CJ together.  There are things they could run with those two that no other team in the league could even contemplate doing as far as keeping the defense honest.

The Bears are done but I haven't given up on the Jets yet.  5-6, with games against the Bills and Bucs upcoming.  They somehow get those 2 and its anyone's game. :)

Watch out for the Bills and Bucs- they can play... Bills secondary is nasty... Dolphins got killed in the 4th quarter by them :(  Almost lost to the Bucs too!  

I recognize how talented the Bills are.  Hence the "if they somehow get those 2" comment.  These are the Jets.  I don't assume any wins ever, in any year.

So where are those Broncos boys.  BSR, where are ya?  After that dominant performance, I'd be tooting my horn.

as a Phins fan- I know exactly what you mean.  I'm not comfortable  with a 21 point lead in the 4th... A win is a lock for me when the game is over.  ;D
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

bear sin rug

QuoteI don't think they'll get off that easy this weekend with the Colts, but I think they could give them a good run for it. It should be a fun one to watch.

Wow the Titans have become the most fun team in football to watch.  I hope the offensive coordinator tries to become more creative in utilizing VY and CJ together.  There are things they could run with those two that no other team in the league could even contemplate doing as far as keeping the defense honest.

The Bears are done but I haven't given up on the Jets yet.  5-6, with games against the Bills and Bucs upcoming.  They somehow get those 2 and its anyone's game. :)

Watch out for the Bills and Bucs- they can play... Bills secondary is nasty... Dolphins got killed in the 4th quarter by them :(  Almost lost to the Bucs too!  

I recognize how talented the Bills are.  Hence the "if they somehow get those 2" comment.  These are the Jets.  I don't assume any wins ever, in any year.

So where are those Broncos boys.  BSR, where are ya?  After that dominant performance, I'd be tooting my horn.

this place is dead   :-/
It's a bad idea

AMightyCaporal

its... its dead?  :'(
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Ruckus

So sorry this place is dead.  Could you resurrect it?

I am now convinced that my stone hands are better than Braylon Edwards' hands.  It's been painful to watch for the last 2 years but now that he is wearing green, it's that much more painful to bear.  He has now cost us 1.5 games this year because of his Orlando Jones hands.

I go back to my corner to cry :'(
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

pawpaw

A billboard directed at Raiders owner Al Davis, paid for by frustrated fans of the team, was put up Tuesday on I-880 North near the High Street exit in Oakland.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

capt. scotty

So sorry this place is dead.  Could you resurrect it?

I am now convinced that my stone hands are better than Braylon Edwards' hands.  It's been painful to watch for the last 2 years but now that he is wearing green, it's that much more painful to bear.  He has now cost us 1.5 games this year because of his Orlando Jones hands.

I go back to my corner to cry :'(

Is that a Replacements reference?!  ;D

I thought the Jets won last night?!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

A billboard directed at Raiders owner Al Davis, paid for by frustrated fans of the team, was put up Tuesday on I-880 North near the High Street exit in Oakland.

Heard about this on Jim Rome's radio show yesterday  ;D

I also heard every other billboard in Cali is something called "lapband"? WTF is a lapband?

Too bad Al Davis lives in the basement of the stadium, so he'll never see that billboard
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

.Walt

But they still show respect by calling him Mister Davis. That's funny how it's got to this point, but I always kinda liked Al. I hope he never hires a GM.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jaimoe

Toronto is still buzzing after last night's Jets-Bills game at the Rogers Centre. Actually, few cared about the over-hyped, over-priced, poorly attended (Rogers bought up thousands of tickets and gave them away) crapfest. Toronto loves NFL football, but it's not necessarily a Bills town. Most Ontario Bills fans live closer to the border.

.Walt

QuoteToronto is still buzzing after last night's Jets-Bills game at the Rogers Centre. Actually, few cared about the over-hyped, over-priced, poorly attended (Rogers bought up thousands of tickets and gave them away) crapfest. Toronto loves NFL football, but it's not necessarily a Bills town. Most Ontario Bills fans live closer to the border.

Apparently there's 15,000 Canadians that make the drive to Buffalo every home game. Where in Canada are they from, I don't know. How far is Toronto from Detroit? I would assume if Detroit had a good team, there would be more Lion fans than the Bills. But Jaimoe, Ontario does border Minnesota too, are you a Vikings fan?

Penny Lane

and then you have my team...i think the Sports Guy summed up what cleveland fans are thinking right about now:

32. Cleveland
First, the Cavs choke in the 2009 playoffs. Second, the best two starters on the 2008 Indians start Game 1 of the 2009 World Series for two teams not named "Cleveland." Third, the Browns clean house and hire Eric Mangini, who takes that same house and sets it on fire with a flame thrower. Fourth, what could end up being LeBron's final Cavs season is distinguished early by Shaq looking like a bald Aretha Franklin and LeBron's body language occasionally lapsing into "I can't wait to find a new team; I am tired of playing with crap teammates" mode. And fifth, there are two nights of star-studded concerts to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- located in Cleveland, as you know -- and those concerts happen at Madison Square Garden.
Here's my question, God: What did Cleveland do to you?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

.Walt

Quoteand then you have my team...i think the Sports Guy summed up what cleveland fans are thinking right about now:

32. Cleveland
First, the Cavs choke in the 2009 playoffs. Second, the best two starters on the 2008 Indians start Game 1 of the 2009 World Series for two teams not named "Cleveland." Third, the Browns clean house and hire Eric Mangini, who takes that same house and sets it on fire with a flame thrower. Fourth, what could end up being LeBron's final Cavs season is distinguished early by Shaq looking like a bald Aretha Franklin and LeBron's body language occasionally lapsing into "I can't wait to find a new team; I am tired of playing with crap teammates" mode. And fifth, there are two nights of star-studded concerts to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- located in Cleveland, as you know -- and those concerts happen at Madison Square Garden.
Here's my question, God: What did Cleveland do to you?

Having a buddy from Cleveland, I love it! He has to be the biggest homer, but he has nothing to be a homer about. Which maybe makes him a really good fan?

Jaimoe

QuoteToronto is still buzzing after last night's Jets-Bills game at the Rogers Centre. Actually, few cared about the over-hyped, over-priced, poorly attended (Rogers bought up thousands of tickets and gave them away) crapfest. Toronto loves NFL football, but it's not necessarily a Bills town. Most Ontario Bills fans live closer to the border.

Apparently there's 15,000 Canadians that make the drive to Buffalo every home game. Where in Canada are they from, I don't know. How far is Toronto from Detroit? I would assume if Detroit had a good team, there would be more Lion fans than the Bills. But Jaimoe, Ontario does border Minnesota too, are you a Vikings fan?

Many of the 15,000 Canadian fans that make the trek each week are from areas more southwest than Toronto is: Hamilton (a city of 500,000, located 45 minutes west of Toronto); Niagra Falls; Kitchener and Waterloo (combined population base of 350,000); London (a city of 500,000) and a few others. Southwestern Ontario has a huge population base (around 6 million). There are lots of Bills fans in Toronto, but they aren't the dominant team (even though we get all their TV affiliates).

Toronto is a five hour drive on the 401 highway to Detroit. Lions (and Tigers) fans from Ontario come from the Windsor, Chatam and London areas.

Yes, there are Vikings fans in Ontario, but the majority would be located close to Minnesota. Cities such as Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie come to mind. Minnesota is too far away for any kind of weekly road-trip for folks in the Toronto/southern Ontario areas.

.Walt

Many of the 15,000 Canadian fans that make the trek each week are from areas more southwest than Toronto is: Hamilton (a city of 500,000, located 45 minutes west of Toronto); Niagra Falls; Kitchener and Waterloo (combined population base of 350,000); London (a city of 500,000) and a few others. Southwestern Ontario has a huge population base (around 6 million). There are lots of Bills fans in Toronto, but they aren't the dominant team (even though we get all their TV affiliates).

Toronto is a five hour drive on the 401 highway to Detroit. Lions (and Tigers) fans from Ontario come from the Windsor, Chatam and London areas.

Yes, there are Vikings fans in Ontario, but the majority would be located close to Minnesota. Cities such as Thunder Bay and Sault Ste. Marie come to mind. Minnesota is too far away for any kind of weekly road-trip for folks in the Toronto/southern Ontario areas.

Wow, I was way off on the Detroit mileage.  I'm trying to think of what it's called for the the 6million people...is it the golden triangle or something golden, right? Let me know, because I didn't want to cheat and look it up. I just remember that Hamilton was trying to get the Coyotes.

Jaimoe

Wow, I was way off on the Detroit mileage.  I'm trying to think of what it's called for the the 6million people...is it the golden triangle or something golden, right? Let me know, because I didn't want to cheat and look it up. I just remember that Hamilton was trying to the Coyotes.

The area is called the Golden Horseshoe (because of wealth and prosperity) since wraps around the southwest end of Lake Ontario.

Hamilton is called Steeltown, The Hammer and Hammertown; it's a more blue collar cousin to Pittsburgh. It potentially has the population base (if you include the surrounding area) and ownership to support a NHL team.

.Walt

The area is called the Golden Horseshoe (because of wealth and prosperity) since wraps around the southwest end of Lake Ontario.

Hamilton is called Steeltown, The Hammer and Hammertown; it's a more blue collar cousin to Pittsburgh. It potentially has the population base (if you include the surrounding area) and ownership to support a NHL team.

So I was pretty close. I'm gonna bump the hockey thread, because I'd like to get your thoughts on expansion or relocation.

Murph

I just hit a 4-team parlay for $350...wooohooo :D.  With all the money that I've lost this season, i felt the need to share my first big win haha.....now its off to the bar.

capt. scotty

joey_rogo

i lost my shit during hixon's return against the 'boys today. (if you find my shit, could you please return it) it's been disappointing as a gmen fan lately, but man, today was sweet. the schedule is tough coming up, but i wouldnt have it any other way, lets win some tough games with some heart and guts and just make the playoffs please.

corey

Steelers taken down by the Raiders? Really? They beat the Bengals too. Do you guys think it has anything to do with the QB switch? Gradkowski has been key in the clutch.