NBA Playoffs

Started by capt._headdy, May 19, 2009, 11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

QuoteThey rescinded SuperDwight's technical foul from yesterday. He still only has 5 T's.

it was kind of a weak call. i think that was fair.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

QuoteThey rescinded SuperDwight's technical foul from yesterday. He still only has 5 T's.

it was kind of a weak call. i think that was fair.

A bunch of these calls this year seem weak to me. Im no NBA aficionado, but I think theyre calling T's and Flagrant fouls way too often. In the game tonight in the 4th, Melo fouled Kobe hard across the face, but nothing was called. If anyone else besides him or maybe Billups does that, its a flagrant on the spot. I wouldnt be surprised if they make it a flagrant in the next 24 hours actually. If the Pistons were still playing, Sheed wouldve probably missed 2 games already because of Technical foul suspensions.

Early in the game, Jeff Van Gundy probably made the best point of the night. Fouls shouldnt carry over series to series because that only penalizes the teams/players that go deep in the playoffs.  The NBA  should decrease their decided upon number, and count T's and Flagrants for each series. It makes a lot more sense, plus animosity and such from 1 series doesnt carry over to the next.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Van Gundy is the man.  I knew the NBA would rescind it because David Stern is shitting his pants that all the stars are the ones collecting the technicals.  The rule was put in as a deterrent to past clowns like Rasheed Wallace and Ron Artest.  If he knew Howard and Kobe would be the ones facing suspension, this rule wouldn't be there.

I'm sure Stern has already told the refs that Kobe is not allowed to get another technical unless he dropkicks Bennett Savatore or Steve Javie in the face.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Magic are +7.5...are you kiddin' me?!?

I think Cleveland will win, but I highly doubt it will be more than 3-4.

Talk about free money!  [smiley=bath.gif]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Free money for not Captain Headdy ;D

What a great performance by Lebron.  As mentioned before, the Magic will live and die by the three and when it mattered in the fourth...

Bring on game 6

capt. scotty

Vegas has me. I took LA in game 4 because the spread was like +5.5, and they hosed me there and got beat by like 11 or something.

I would say Magic close it out at home, but you never know when the KING is on the other team.

I understand they live and die by the 3, and SuperDwight fouling out with a few minutes left makes a difference, but when youre not hitting anything, I figured they would change their gameplan. Turkoglu and Lewis are perfectly capable of driving to the hoop.

And obviously Mike Brown can coach to a degree (going back to my post about the last game), but can Booby Gibson get some PT for christ's sake?! LBJ is basically a forward anyway and they play good with 3 guards. Get Gibson on the damn court. I love Delonte, but he has had a terrible series. If he plays like he has, even more reason for Gibson to get more playin time.

And I cringed at a couple late shots by Pietrus that werent good chances, but he should be getting more than 20-25 minutes of playing time. If he's off, thats 1 thing, but before his last 2-3 shots, he looked very good.

capt. scotty

I just LMAO at how they showed part of the "hastily made Cleveland tour" youtube video on Inside the NBA after the game.

The MMJ forum starts sensations!!! WooHOO!!!!

The Inside the NBA version with their crew was pretty good too actually. They even got the same guy to do it for them. "Kenny owes his career to Olajuwon"  ;D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lghILIDzC0[/media]

aMillionDreams

Capt- Where's all the talk of Lebron being a choke artist?  What-- you don't think he's letting his team down anymore? He had a ton of assists last night including a lot in the 4th quarter, what a coward!

Also wanted to point out the two "locks" you told us about haven't worked out either.  You must really like the taste of feet in your mouth.

Booby Gibson is a streaky shooter and MOST of the time he's off. The player I'd liked to see more of from the Cavs myriad of mediocre bench players is Sasha Pavlovich. He's more fearless than any of the other crap players Lebron calls his supporting cast.  Now that I think of it, that's not a fitting title, he should just call them those scrubs the Cavs make me play with.  They can't find ONE SUPPORTING player other than Mo Williams when he is specifically asked to contribute.  The Magic found Courtney Lee in the draft, the Celts found Big Baby. Anyone even know who the Cavs took with their first pick last season? JJ Hickson (Magic got Lee three picks after that (yes I had to look it up)).  So, bit of a tangent there, but my point is if the Cavs lose this series you can NOT blame it on LeBron.

Game 6 is huge. If Cavs win they bring the momentum back home with them for game 7.  This should be fun.

The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Ruckus

QuoteCapt- Where's all the talk of Lebron being a choke artist?  What-- you don't think he's letting his team down anymore? He had a ton of assists last night including a lot in the 4th quarter, what a coward!

Also wanted to point out the two "locks" you told us about haven't worked out either.  You must really like the taste of feet in your mouth.

Booby Gibson is a streaky shooter and MOST of the time he's off. The player I'd liked to see more of from the Cavs myriad of mediocre bench players is Sasha Pavlovich. He's more fearless than any of the other crap players Lebron calls his supporting cast.  Now that I think of it, that's not a fitting title, he should just call them those scrubs the Cavs make me play with.  They can't find ONE SUPPORTING player other than Mo Williams when he is specifically asked to contribute.  The Magic found Courtney Lee in the draft, the Celts found Big Baby. Anyone even know who the Cavs took with their first pick last season? JJ Hickson (Magic got Lee three picks after that (yes I had to look it up)).  So, bit of a tangent there, but my point is if the Cavs lose this series you can NOT blame it on LeBron.

Game 6 is huge. If Cavs win they bring the momentum back home with them for game 7.  This should be fun.

I kind of wanna see Pavlovic too.  

Oh yeah, they are no longer his supporting cast.  At the post game interview and press conference, he kept referring to them as this "complimentary" guys.  Do you think he just says that because he heard it on Sports Center and thinks it's a compliment to his teammates? ;D ;)

J/K AMD.  They are a bunch of clowns though no matter how goofy Z looks, any 7'3" guy who can shoot is an asset.

I really want a game 7.  Go Cavs!!!

Penny Lane

yeah he switched to complementary players, but hey, it's TRUE so why not keep it real?...i agree that gibson is streaky, too. i wish they had another day to rest but they are going to struggle to keep it close tomorrow. YAY--STILL IN IT!!!

Hawkeye

QuoteCapt- Where's all the talk of Lebron being a choke artist?  What-- you don't think he's letting his team down anymore? He had a ton of assists last night including a lot in the 4th quarter, what a coward!

I kind of wanna see Pavlovic too.  

Oh yeah, they are no longer his supporting cast.  At the post game interview and press conference, he kept referring to them as this "complimentary" guys.  Do you think he just says that because he heard it on Sports Center and thinks it's a compliment to his teammates? ;D ;)

J/K AMD.  They are a bunch of clowns though no matter how goofy Z looks, any 7'3" guy who can shoot is an asset.

I really want a game 7.  Go Cavs!!!

I'll have to disagree with the comment about Big Z...not about him specifically, but the fact that any 7'3" guy who can shoot is an asset.  I had a guy on my team at tiny Clarke College who was 7'3" and about 160 lbs.  He got dunked on a few times by 6'1" guards.  He got pushed out of the post all the time and really only liked to shoot 3's.  He was hilarious tho...he freaked out one time after chiefing and went running naked down the street at like 2 AM...I can only imagine what those cars that saw him thought...I can't imagine seeing a 7'3" naked guy running down the street freaking out!

Anyway, I want to see either Kobe or LeBron in the Finals.  I don't really care which one.  Both would be preferable, but I wouldn't mind seeing LeBron/Carmelo either.  The Magic just don't have a guy that I really want to watch play.  Yeah, I like Dwight Howard, but I don't find him that fun to watch usually.  I like the rim-shaking dunks and I respect him as a player tho.  I can't wait until he develops a solid low-post game.  What is Patrick Ewing teaching this guy?  How long can it take to learn a line-drive hook shot?
We could.

capt. scotty

Hah. I would like you to find a post in this thread where I said Lebron is a choke artist, coward, or letting his team down. Please, I want to see it.

The only thing Ive knocked him for was passing that ball away in game 1 on their last possession, down 1 point, 4 feet from the hoop, no Howard in the game, to someone who wasnt even having a good game for a 3 pointer. A couple other people here agreed with me, and the handful of friends/family I talked to about it all thought the same as me as well. If anything, his play during this series vs. his teammates only proves my opinion on that play being correct. He is carrying the Cavs, so how do you pass the ball in that situation?! Despite playing very good or better in every game, that doesnt void that play. That play is possibly the difference between the Magic being up 3-2 and the Cavs being up 3-2.

Yeah, I look bad on those two locks, but Id like to meet the people who took Cleveland (-7.5 points) yesterday. There can't be many. Im over .500 on the NBA playoffs, so thats all that really matters anyway.  8-)

I took LA at +190 to win tonight. Not expecting it to happen, but those are damn good odds for a team who already won on the road this series and at their best is the better team.

capt. scotty

Anyway, I want to see either Kobe or LeBron in the Finals.  I don't really care which one.  Both would be preferable, but I wouldn't mind seeing LeBron/Carmelo either.  The Magic just don't have a guy that I really want to watch play.  Yeah, I like Dwight Howard, but I don't find him that fun to watch usually.  I like the rim-shaking dunks and I respect him as a player tho.  I can't wait until he develops a solid low-post game.  What is Patrick Ewing teaching this guy?  How long can it take to learn a line-drive hook shot?

I enjoy watching Howard play. He's no Kobe or Lebron obviously, but the guy is electric around the hoop and he plays great D too so that just adds to it. Im impressed with his free throw shooting too, especially in the 4th quarter.

A hook shot would be a great addition to his arsenal, but I think whats holding him back is he cant go to his right. By that, I mean when he's posted up, he always goes to his left since thats his strong move as a right hander. He would be even more tough to defend if he could not just go to his right, but develop some 5 feet and in shooting ability with his left hand.

capt. scotty

I took LA at +190 to win tonight. Not expecting it to happen, but those are damn good odds for a team who already won on the road this series and at their best is the better team.

How bout dem apples?!  8-)

I didnt even start watching the game until a little before 11PM (thank god for DVR), but Im glad I made that post around what mustve been the 2nd quarter when the game was tight. Not trying to gloat, but you called me out  :P

I dont expect LA to play like tonight consistently in the finals, but I will say it right now, if Cleveland wins the East, they will NOT beat LA. I think the Magic have a shot because theyre a more complete team than the Cavs, and their top players outside of Howard are much more consistent scorers than anyone on the Cavs besides Lebron.

..I wouldnt be surprised if Denver was the 2nd best team left in the final 4 the way they have been playing from Melo down to Kleiza.

Not the best analogy, but LA reminds me of the Penguins right now in that they werent tested at all in the playoffs until they got to the finals last year. This year is another story, and both had to play in a game 7 before the finals. Neither had the meddle, toughness, and resiliency they needed to win last year. The comparison ends there for the most part, but I expect LA to win it all.

aMillionDreams

Hah. I would like you to find a post in this thread where I said Lebron is a choke artist, coward, or letting his team down. Please, I want to see it.

I can't find the post but somewhere in here you said if Lebron had missed the shot at the end of Game 2 he'd be the King of All Chokejobs.  I don't know if you edited it out or what.  Well guess what, Capn, he didn't miss that shot. And he DID have a triple double elevating his game when the stakes were the highest they've been all season.  I'm just saying, what's your view of Lebron now?
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

capt. scotty

I can't find the post but somewhere in here you said if Lebron had missed the shot at the end of Game 2 he'd be the King of All Chokejobs.  I don't know if you edited it out or what.  Well guess what, Capn, he didn't miss that shot. And he DID have a triple double elevating his game when the stakes were the highest they've been all season.  I'm just saying, what's your view of Lebron now?

QuoteKing James just made up for that bad decision at the end up game 1  8-)

If they blew this game too, wow. The only thing they'd be the king of is chokejobs

Not calling Lebron a choke artist, I called the Cavs as a team choke artists. Considering they only lost 1 game at home in the regular season (excluding the last game which no starters played in), IMO going down 0-2 in the series after being up 15+ points in the 2nd half of both games, at home, is choking.

Not Lebron, the Cavs. He saved them there.

I dont understand why both you and Tracy have replied to me multiple times like I dont like Lebron and am skeptical of his talent or something, and when he succeeds, come back at me like "so is he still not the most awesome in the entire universe?!". Hes 1 of my favorite players in the league. Like I said, I only ripped on him for that decision in game 1. Im not being hard on him or judging him unfairly, Im a sports fan who judged him objectively, not subjectively, on that play. Apparently saying anything negative about people's favorite players doesnt fly around here.

Even kings make bad calls and mistakes, no?

capt. scotty

If SuperDwight plays like he did tonight, LA will have a tough go of it. Bynum, Gasol, Odom, etc I dont think can guard him.

I still would pick Lakeshow to win, but SuperDwight staying out of foul trouble and having big games is the key to the series. Everything else in the series (Kobe lighting it up, Gasol having some 20+ games, Hedo & Lewis putting up 15+ each game) you know youre going to see most games, but Howard being effective every game is the key IMO

capt. scotty

All this Lamar Odom's play is up and down talk because he eats a lot of candy is such a joke. Theyre really going to lean on this as to why his play his up and down?!

A doctor wrote an essay on it? Really?!

I dont know Odom's entire diet, but I have a feeling breakfast, lunch, and dinner doesnt solely consist of candy and sweets. I think this doctor is forgetting about this.

Leontheslut

If they blew this game too, wow. The only thing they'd be the king of is chokejobs

Not calling Lebron a choke artist, I called the Cavs as a team choke artists. Considering they only lost 1 game at home in the regular season (excluding the last game which no starters played in), IMO going down 0-2 in the series after being up 15+ points in the 2nd half of both games, at home, is choking.

I dont understand why both you and Tracy have replied to me multiple times like I dont like Lebron and am skeptical of his talent or something, and when he succeeds, come back at me like "so is he still not the most awesome in the entire universe?!". Hes 1 of my favorite players in the league. Like I said, I only ripped on him for that decision in game 1. Im not being hard on him or judging him unfairly, Im a sports fan who judged him objectively, not subjectively, on that play. Apparently saying anything negative about people's favorite players doesnt fly around here.

Didn't you know if you don't share the same opinion as the MMJ super fans you're a scumbag asshole?

Lebron had the cast of characters to get it done and they didn't. When they win it's all about Lebron, but when they lose it's the teams fault. [size=8][/size]
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Penny Lane

Didn't you know if you don't share the same opinion as the MMJ super fans you're a scumbag asshole?

Lebron had the cast of characters to get it done and they didn't. When they win it's all about Lebron, but when they lose it's the teams fault. [size=8][/size]

Exactly. Nicely put.