Futbol Anyone?

Started by purvis9876, Dec 10, 2008, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynwa

QuoteHey Liz...did ya see the pre T5 matchup on Sunday the 17th?  I hope it doesn't dampen any vibes ;D ;)  If we pull it off, the 1st red headed slut is on me
Hey, I want in if red headed sluts are being given out!!!

I have yet to get a match in this season. Now that I do not have to get up so god awful early to run on Saturdays I can start watching. I had a chance this past Saturday, but it was ManU. ugh

it's on, ruckus!  i prefer my sluts to be tall, dark & handsome; thick-headed.  i can go the other way, although i'd prefer to be buying you guys the 1st blue kamikazi.  or lickatini.  whichever  ;D  

this fixture is falling in the midst of a truly epic week.  magical even  (mine starts w/ the Ramble on the 16th  :)).  undampened good vibes will be intact, no matter what!  it's been a terrible start to the season for both the red & blue halves of the city.  fucking hell...we both deserve a GD drink.  

but the league as a whole is off to a pretty crazy start.  good to hear you'll be able to start tuning in, mjk.  there's some good football being played so far.  some of it coming from teams you'd not expect.  west brom in 6th place, on 11 pts?  what the???          
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Ruckus

QuoteHey Liz...did ya see the pre T5 matchup on Sunday the 17th?  I hope it doesn't dampen any vibes ;D ;)  If we pull it off, the 1st red headed slut is on me

I have yet to get a match in this season. Now that I do not have to get up so god awful early to run on Saturdays I can start watching. I had a chance this past Saturday, but it was ManU. ugh

it's on, ruckus!  i prefer my sluts to be tall, dark & handsome; thick-headed.  i can go the other way, although i'd prefer to be buying you guys the 1st blue kamikazi.  or lickatini.  whichever  ;D  

this fixture is falling in the midst of a truly epic week.  magical even  (mine starts w/ the Ramble on the 16th  :)).  undampened good vibes will be intact, no matter what!  it's been a terrible start to the season for both the red & blue halves of the city.  fucking hell...we both deserve a GD drink.  

but the league as a whole is off to a pretty crazy start.  good to hear you'll be able to start tuning in, mjk.  there's some good football being played so far.  some of it coming from teams you'd not expect.  west brom in 6th place, on 11 pts?  what the???          
I forgot about MJK's taste for red headed sluts.

I've been slow to catch on this season as usual because I have to wait til baseball season ends or else it's just too many damn sports to follow.  I have been following the tables though and yes..it's been a terrible start to the season for Scousers.  I was unaware but Kydiddle mentioned that Man City was offering 110mil Euro for Pique?  Ridiculous.  That is insane! :o

I will be thinking of a fancy blue cocktail for my indulgence that week.  Thank you very much 8-)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ynwa

I've been slow to catch on this season as usual because I have to wait til baseball season ends or else it's just too many damn sports to follow.  I have been following the tables though and yes..it's been a terrible start to the season for Scousers.  I was unaware but Kydiddle mentioned that Man City was offering 110mil Euro for Pique?  Ridiculous.  That is insane! :o

I will be thinking of a fancy blue cocktail for my indulgence that week.  Thank you very much 8-)

to be fair - who doesn't love a red headed slut?  anyway...

i did see ky's post about pique & i'm really not surprised.  he's really freakin good!  phenominal footwork, especially for a big guy.  the name "twinkle toes" comes to mind when i watch him play.  ALSO, man city will continue to be linked w/ all the big name players throughout their quest to buy the prem title.  bastards  >:(

so the big day is sunday: merseyside derby!  always a scrappy event & w/ both teams in desperate need of the 3 points, i think this one's gonna be a real cracker!  crunching tackles, a flurry of yellow cards & maybe even a sending-off or 2.  it won't be pretty, just pretty crazy.

anyway, i hope you've figured out your fancy blue cocktail because my reds are gonna kick the stuffing out of your toffees  ;)    

Ruckus

i did see ky's post about pique & i'm really not surprised.  he's really freakin good!  phenominal footwork, especially for a big guy.  the name "twinkle toes" comes to mind when i watch him play.  ALSO, man city will continue to be linked w/ all the big name players throughout their quest to buy the prem title.  bastards  >:(

so the big day is sunday: merseyside derby!  always a scrappy event & w/ both teams in desperate need of the 3 points, i think this one's gonna be a real cracker!  crunching tackles, a flurry of yellow cards & maybe even a sending-off or 2.  it won't be pretty, just pretty crazy.

anyway, i hope you've figured out your fancy blue cocktail because my reds are gonna kick the stuffing out of your toffees  ;)    
Pique is good but no player is worth that on transfer fees alone (I know its becoming the norm), especially a central defender.  I know it's always a talking point in the states about the economic structure of each of our sports but we have nothing to bitch about when it comes to top level European soccer.  It's ridiculous.  
Everclear and blue curacao with a piece of steak in it will suffice.  I shall call it a 'Blue Turmoil'

ynwa

Pique is good but no player is worth that on transfer fees alone (I know its becoming the norm), especially a central defender.  I know it's always a talking point in the states about the economic structure of each of our sports but we have nothing to bitch about when it comes to top level European soccer.  It's ridiculous.  
Everclear and blue curacao with a piece of steak in it will suffice.  I shall call it a 'Blue Turmoil'

blue turmoil going down & probably coming back up too.  blech  :-X

i never really paid too much attn to how much pro-athletes get paid before i started following the prem.  and via that, learning the craziness of how much money these big time european teams will pay their players.  it IS ridiculous!

p.s. i still don't get the structure of MLS w/ the DPs and all.

Ruckus

Sorry ynwa but woohooooo!!!!!  The perfect birthday weekend is allowed to have one little hiccup right. ;)

It wasn't televised as far as I know.  I just watched Blackpool v Man City which was actually a very good match.

ynwa

you know what, i really wasn't that upset.  i mean, seriously, everton came out fired up & fully deserved the win.  2 really sweet goals by the boys pictured above.  i secretly love tim cahill.  arteta, not so much, but what a strike!  talk about hitting the sweet spot  :o

liverpool, even though they played much better in the 2nd half, lacked any kind of creativity.  torres had no support until the last, what, 15/20 mins?  hodgson got it wrong, he picked a very defensive starting 11 & didn't make the right changes til it was last gasp time.  poor.

so, red headed sluts later then?

edit:  oh yeah - this is a pretty sweet little link for games that are not televised OVER HERE...

http://atdhe.net/watchtv.html

Ruckus

With the conclusion of the Super Bowl my attention turns to soccer until March Madness and Spring Training.

What a win by Wolverhampton this weekend!  Wish I actually saw it.  I wish I could watch the Man U./Man City match this Saturday!

iLikeBeer

Quite a bit has been happening in the EPL since this thread was last active.  I think Chelsea were in firm control atop the tables and have since gone into quite a tailspin and now sit 10 points adrift of ManU in 4th place!  8)

Speaking of nice wins, how about Liverpool going to Stamford Bridge and ruining Torres' debut with the Blues!   ;D  I don't often pull for the Reds, but on this occasion I was all about Liverpool winning that match!   :)  It looks like King Kenny was a great hire and the new ownership at Liverpool seem to be all about breating life back into that struggling franchise.  The EPL is a better league with a competitve Liverpool.

Lastly, I'm kind of glad ManU lost to Wolves over the weekend.  Now they can forget about the burden of trying to extend that unbelievable unbeaten run they were on and focus on bringing home another title!  And as much as that loss stung, it will all be forgotten with a win vs. City in the Manchester Derby on Saturday!

ynwa

isn't it funny how we sports fans always (try to) put a good spin on things when our team loses?   :P ;)  i've certainly been doing my fair share of that the past few seasons.   :'(

things certainly have changed quite a bit.  chelsea had been looking unstoppable for a while.  what the hell happened?  not that i'm upset or anything.  since liverpoool were clearly out of the running very early on, i've been pulling for arsenal to win the league.  but after throwing away a 4-0 lead against newcastle i have serious doubts that they have what it takes.  honestly, i'll take anyone other than man utd, chelsea or city. 

we are getting into the meat of the season now.  btw - rob, how convenient of you to focus your attention on the epl at this time  ;D  good to have ya back!  anyway, i'm hoping that it will be a tight race until the very end.  i'm all for the underdogs taking points off the bigger teams & no one team running away with it.  keeps things interesting.  it's pretty dull when the title has been secured by & the trophy presented to the league winners before the last game is played.

do i ever want man utd to win anything?  hell no!  and watching wolves beat them was glorious.  sorry iLB, you are a much better person than yours truly!  i respect them but just cannot bring myself to actually support them, or wish them well.  but, despite their loss on the weekend, they do look like the team most likely to pull it out.  i certainly don't want city to win it either so i'm hoping for a thrilling 3-3 draw this saturday.  berba for another gd hat trick, yaya toure w/ a brace & an evans og in the dying moments.  y'all heard it here 1st!  8)   

actually, maybe it won't be so bad if man utd wins the title this season.  at least then my beloved reds won't have that whole most titles thing hanging over their heads anymore.  being tied w/ utd on that has really only been weighing us down  ::)  see, i'm doing it again  :-\

ynwa

so, ok, i was totally wrong about my man utd vs city prediction.  i didn't get to see the whole thing, just highlights.  2 very sweet goals.  but rooney's... HOLY SMOKES!   :o  it was beautiful!  goal of the season? 

kydiddle

Quote from: ynwa on Feb 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
so, ok, i was totally wrong about my man utd vs city prediction.  i didn't get to see the whole thing, just highlights.  2 very sweet goals.  but rooney's... HOLY SMOKES!   :o  it was beautiful!  goal of the season?

Yeah. That was pretty awesome.
Cow temperature.

Ruckus

Quote from: kydiddle on Feb 14, 2011, 01:51 PM

Just saw it.  It was amazing!  When you consider the adjustment he had to make to execute that bicycle and the fact that the goal meant something, yeah, there's a damn good argument for it being GOTY.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 14, 2011, 01:54 PM
Quote from: kydiddle on Feb 14, 2011, 01:51 PM

Just saw it.  It was amazing!  When you consider the adjustment he had to make to execute that bicycle and the fact that the goal meant something, yeah, there's a damn good argument for it being GOTY.

I agree that when you factor everything in surrounding that goal, it has to be very high on the list for GOTY.  I mean, you had the whole Manchester Derby thing, the fact that both squads are fighting for points to stay at or near the top of the tables.  And then there's the fact that Wayne Rooney has been struggling to find the back of the net this season and despite Rooney's struggles, was still given the nod to start by Sir Alex over Berbatov who is only the leading goal scorer in the EPL this seaon.  What a goal indeed!

BTW, if this goal happens to jump start Rooney's season, I would have to say that won't bode well for those teams chasing United.

Anyone going to watch the Champs League clash between Arsenal and Barca on Wednesday?  I really don't see how the Gunners are going to pull of the upset in this one.  I'm just hoping for a quality match.

ynwa

ummm.  quality match fo shizzle!

didn't get to watch it in real time but thank the lawd for FSC & their highlights.  also was able to catch it on replay from the start of the 2nd half when i got home from work.  it did not disappoint, not in the slightest!  jack wilshire had a fantastic game, as did arsenal's, what, 3rd string keeper?  also, cannot dismiss the russian messi's (arshavin) goal.

i should call upon this match in future when trying to explain soccer to folks that don't understand the beauty of a sport that rewards the fact that scoring is not assumed, yet earned, thru hard work, discipline & sometimes... a little bit of luck

iLikeBeer

I'd say that match lived up to the hype!  Robin van Persie is having quite a run of late.  How did he score at that almost impossible angle?

I will say, I feel Arsenal were fortunate to come away with the win yesterday as Messi missed on several opportunities he usually finishes.

This tie is far from over as I think Barca has the potential to possibly win going away in their second leg match at Camp Nou.  But I would love to see Arsenal stick it to Messi and company.

Ruckus

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Feb 17, 2011, 09:56 AM
I'd say that match lived up to the hype!  Robin van Persie is having quite a run of late.  How did he score at that almost impossible angle?

I will say, I feel Arsenal were fortunate to come away with the win yesterday as Messi missed on several opportunities he usually finishes.

This tie is far from over as I think Barca has the potential to possibly win going away in their second leg match at Camp Nou.  But I would love to see Arsenal stick it to Messi and company.

Man U. fan caring about either side.  Pfft ::)

I am about to watch the highlights but I'm really bummed I wasn't able to DVR the match.

I did however watch the entire replay of the Manchester Derby and United surely deserved the win.  Watching Rooney's goal in context, from multiple angles in 55 inch HD glory was chill inducing even for me who could care less about either team AND had already seen it.  One thing that bothered me a bit was how the announcers in calling United's 1st goal, attributed almost all its brilliance to Nani.  Admittedly it was a fine 1st touch on the dead run but the pass from Giggs was perfection and was the more impressive aspect of that goal in my mind.  Either way, a beautiful goal to watch.

Ruckus

Ruckus

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 20, 2011, 01:56 AM
Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 19, 2011, 08:57 PM
Dear Ruckus, 

Chelsea - Everton 1-1 (Pen 4-5) - Leighton Baines AMAZING Free Kick Goal

:-*
:-*
;D ;D ;D

I don't even remember responding to this which is probably a good thing because I celebrated it all over again on Sunday.  I guess the the Truckers show did a number on me Saturday night.  I had DVRd the match planning on watching it on Sunday.  Well the DVR recording extension still wasn't long enough.  Boy was I pissed when I watched for almost a hundred minutes and it got cut off.  I ended up seeing it on highlights.  YOWZA!

Timmy Howard!!!  What can you say?  He is the reason we may still have something to show for this season here in the FA cup.

Fellaini was offsides on the play in question as well.