The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

QuoteI've had lazy bones for the past week and a half so BUMP so you cats can help me stay motivated.

Pool and cottage season is coming up very soon.

I hiked my Hennifer Lopez arse off today. I just have to stay consistent. I'm sure I'll be sore, but I must run after work tomorrow. Must. Run.

I'm usually in the gym 3-4 times a week, but given that warm weather is a-coming, I've upped my cardio considerably these past few weeks. However I have some time since pool season won't hit until the end of May... and lakes in the cottage areas of Ontario won't be warm enough to swim in until June.

Soulshine

QuoteI've had lazy bones for the past week and a half so BUMP so you cats can help me stay motivated.

I hiked my Hennifer Lopez arse off today. I just have to stay consistent. I'm sure I'll be sore, but I must run after work tomorrow. Must. Run.

I'm usually in the gym 3-4 times a week, but given that warm weather is a-coming, I've upped my cardio considerably these past few weeks. However I have some time since pool season won't hit until the end of May... and lakes in the cottage areas of Ontario won't be warm enough to swim in until June.

I dont know what my issue is, but I need to stay as motivated as you are! Perhaps I should lay out my bathing suit and look at it everyday?
Because we're all in this together...

Jaimoe

I dont know what my issue is, but I need to stay as motivated as you are! Perhaps I should lay out my bathing suit and look at it everyday?

I find that if you have an event or goal in the near or even distant future, say a wedding or even something as trivial as a pool party, reunion etc..., then this could be used as motivation. It's totally worked for me in the past. Also, add power-walking into your lunch break daily routine, but don't think of it as a workout, just something you do on top of your excercise schedule. I also ride my bike as much as possible (when the weather is nicer) and I power-walk every shift, rain or shine, cold or hot.

Soulshine

Yesterday I went for a 5 mile hike in Lyons. I just got back from a run along Boulder Creek. There is a short strecth where the path runs really close to the Creek. The trees form a thin canopy over the path and there are lilac bushes running along the edge on either side. The sun was beaming through the canopy. For a moment I closed my eyes and took a deep breath of fresh mountain air and lilac and it was like heaven. Everyday I thank God for the opportunity to live here.
Because we're all in this together...

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

jones

Man, has everyone been sitting on the couch (except Jen) for the past month?  I got a relatively short mountain bike ride in yesterday (7.8 miles) and only went over the handlebars one time (yippee).  I have been riding about once a week since February and I now have over 230 miles on the trail for the year.

mjkoehler

QuoteMan, has everyone been sitting on the couch (except Jen) for the past month?  I got a relatively short mountain bike ride in yesterday (7.8 miles) and only went over the handlebars one time (yippee).  I have been riding about once a week since February and I now have over 230 miles on the trail for the year.
No, I run every morning, either 5 or 6 miles then 8-12 miles on Saturdays. Official training for my next race doesn't start for a couple more weeks. Then those numbers start getting scary.

capt. scotty

I need to get back in shape. I think Im going to get a Shake Weight to get the ball rolling!

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mjkoehler

Got a very late start running today and had to stop after 6 as it was painfully hot out. Like Vietnam jungle hot. Good news is the Boy is taking up running and today was his first shot. He signed up to join the Jr High Cross Country team. Makes me happy.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

how do you all get the motivation to work out?  I need to get my hot bod back into shape but I'm way too lazy to get a quality routine in.  diet is a problem because I love food and I don't really give a fuck what I eat - I'm picky so it leaves me with limits also.  

my question.  what would be the ultimate EASY routine to tone up with fairly fast results.  I don't want to bullshit with counting calories and I don't want to have to wake up at 5am 3 times a week.  also, I do not want to stop smoking weed.

help me get sexy again, these pills fucked my metabolism up and made me chunky.  

where are you richard?

jones

Quotehow do you all get the motivation to work out?  I need to get my hot bod back into shape but I'm way too lazy to get a quality routine in.  diet is a problem because I love food and I don't really give a fuck what I eat - I'm picky so it leaves me with limits also.  

my question.  what would be the ultimate EASY routine to tone up with fairly fast results.  I don't want to bullshit with counting calories and I don't want to have to wake up at 5am 3 times a week.  also, I do not want to stop smoking weed.

help me get sexy again, these pills fucked my metabolism up and made me chunky.  

where are you richard?

The problem with exercise is that if you don't enjoy what you are doing you won't stick (no pun intended) with it, unless you have some mad willpower.  

If you can elevate your heart rate to VO2 Max http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2max (sustained) 3-4 times a week, you should see results in a few weeks.

I ran for years, but I forced myself to do it.  I picked up mountain biking two years ago and I cannot get enough.  I don't even consider it  work and I can average 180+ bpm for several hours, meanwhile burning approximately 1200 calories per hour.

Point: Find something that you enjoy and you will find yourself right smack in the middle of a healthy routine.  Diet is important, though.

mjkoehler

What he ^^^ said. I was the opposite. I weighed 250+ lbs and was just bad. In preperation for my 10 year reunion I just got up and started. Hit the elliptical and bike, hard. I hated it. I forced myself but got down to about 190. Started running (including doing 1/2 marathons which now I'm doing full marathons) and fell in love with it. Got down to 170 in time for the reunion. Baby #2 was conceived on that trip. That's kind of an unspoken benefit of being healthy. Your sex drive (and stamina) are like in overdrive at that point. I've been running since 2001 with a year or so gap after I had knee surgery. I love it, even though I get up at 4:30 am to do it. I love running new places and seeing sights when I run. I've had some great fun runs in San Diego, Denver, Chicago, Philly, and here is St Louis. It allows me time to let my mind flow free. I've come up with several songs that I've been working on while running, and the idea for a short book that I may right sometime. Plus, the amount I run now, it allows me to eat whatever the hell I want and not worry about my weight. I'm burning anywhere from 800-2000 calories a run so the animal that is living in my tummy is always hungry.

Whatever you utlimatly start up with, MAKE IT FUN. Try different things. Hitting a boxing heavy bag is great and works you like a mofo, but your elbows, wrists, and shoulders take a beating so it's not something to do daily. Believe it or not, jump rope is an outstanding fat burner. The calories you burn doing that rack up quickly. Elliptical is good as it's low inpact and another great calorie burner. Running is good. Biking is good. Of course you should incorporate weights in it. Start light. I used to powerlift and hit the weights hard. Now, I just do low weight and super high reps. All about tone and endurance for me, not bulk any more.

mjkoehler

Me in 1998 before losing weight.

Me this past January totally mackin on a very cute Alice.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

see all of that stuff takes willpower I don't really have.  running is the bane of my existence.  I hate it.  I was hoping there was some sort of electronic device that would make me strong by electronically stimulating my muscles or something.  The key for me is not having to move much if possible.

ALady

How do you feel about walking?
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteHow do you feel about walking?

I like sitting around and making music and smoking pot.  sometimes I play videos games and that works out my mind and eye sight.  often I masturbate.  but mostly I chill. I chill real hard.  maybe I'll get a boflex.

ericm

A little late to the party here, but figured I'd chime in.

It's finally warm enough here to break out the bike again, thankfully.

I just got back from a nice 12 mile bike ride along the ocean road. Took just about 50 minutes. I live on LBI in Jersey and there is a nice bike lane from my home to the southern tip of the Island.

I usually do that every weekend morning from mid-May to mid- September. I try to get a few rides in during the week in the evening also. It felt great to get off the stationary bike and onto a real one again, after the nasty winter we had.

This weekend it's packed here but gotta love the ocean air, the smell of suntan lotion, and the girls in their summer clothes. ;)

"Where's Jim going?"

iLikeBeer

I'm kind of partial to this workout myself:

8-)

mjkoehler

Quoteand the girls in their summer clothes. ;)

Number 1 reason to LOVE summer.

capt. scotty

QuoteHow do you feel about walking?

I like sitting around and making music and smoking pot.  sometimes I play videos games and that works out my mind and eye sight.  often I masturbate.  but mostly I chill. I chill real hard.  maybe I'll get a boflex.

im just getting back into working out, and one thing that makes a treadmill, elliptical, lifting a lot easier is to watch TV while you do it because it almost makes you feel like youre not even doing something you dont want to be doing. Time flies by and whaddaya know, you just worked out for an hour
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons