The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkoehler

hmmm I might have to take a camera on my route (s). Nothing as scenic as the Engligh countryside or the Rockies I assure you.

dragonboy

I would love to see some pics/videos. Looking forward to them  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

For those of you not of FB, I was stupid yesterday. It was snowing, freezing raining, graupeling, sleeting, and very windy yesterday and my dumb ass went running. I just had too. Idid a few things around the house but mostly had sat around and needed to run. I had to stop after 4 miles because I was numb and my face and eyeballs felt pretty bad after mother nature took target practice with about a million little icy beebees.

Not picture worthy. It's supposed to clear up this week.

Soulshine

QuoteFor those of you not of FB, I was stupid yesterday. It was snowing, freezing raining, graupeling, sleeting, and very windy yesterday and my dumb ass went running. I just had too. Idid a few things around the house but mostly had sat around and needed to run. I had to stop after 4 miles because I was numb and my face and eyeballs felt pretty bad after mother nature took target practice with about a million little icy beebees.

Mother nature is punishing you for all the little piggy's in your deep freeze...I KEED, I KEED...  ;)  Be careful next time!

I'm not typically quick with the picture process, but I'll do my best to get some up soon!
Because we're all in this together...

mjkoehler

QuoteFor those of you not of FB, I was stupid yesterday. It was snowing, freezing raining, graupeling, sleeting, and very windy yesterday and my dumb ass went running. I just had too. Idid a few things around the house but mostly had sat around and needed to run. I had to stop after 4 miles because I was numb and my face and eyeballs felt pretty bad after mother nature took target practice with about a million little icy beebees.

Mother nature is punishing you for all the little piggy's in your deep freeze...I KEED, I KEED...  ;)  Be careful next time!

I'm not typically quick with the picture process, but I'll do my best to get some up soon!
If mother nature didn't intend for use to have pig in the freezer, she wouldn't have made them taste so dern good.

mjkoehler

Well Mother Nature is playing nice today (it's in the 50's). Going running shortly. A friend in town is doing a Half Marathon in April and he needs to do an 8 mile run. I may join him just for the hell of it. Too nice out to not do this. Hopefully this is MN's way of telling that stupid groundhog to eff off.

.Walt

QuoteWell Mother Nature is playing nice today (it's in the 50's). Going running shortly. A friend in town is doing a Half Marathon in April and he needs to do an 8 mile run. I may join him just for the hell of it. Too nice out to not do this. Hopefully this is MN's way of telling that stupid groundhog to eff off.

Since the place I was working at went under, I've been jobless now for a month, I've been putting the headphones on and walking around town for a couple of hours a day. I would like to run, but the sidewalks and paths are still snow covered and icy in certain spots. But people here are running and biking on them, crazy. I slipped like 4 times in one stretch, and then some guy comes running by. I couldn't help but watch to see if he fell. He didn't...thank goodness. 50's sound like heaven right about now, very jealous.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

mjkoehler

QuoteWell Mother Nature is playing nice today (it's in the 50's). Going running shortly. A friend in town is doing a Half Marathon in April and he needs to do an 8 mile run. I may join him just for the hell of it. Too nice out to not do this. Hopefully this is MN's way of telling that stupid groundhog to eff off.

Since the place I was working at went under, I've been jobless now for a month, I've been putting the headphones on and walking around town for a couple of hours a day. I would like to run, but the sidewalks and paths are still snow covered and icy in certain spots. But people here are running and biking on them, crazy. I slipped like 4 times in one stretch, and then some guy comes running by. I couldn't help but watch to see if he fell. He didn't...thank goodness. 50's sound like heaven right about now, very jealous.
It was fab out. Snow and Ice are not fun to run on but I've had to a few too many times in the last few weeks. I've yet to fall which is a miracle considering I fall standing still.

jones

We hit the high 50s here in WKY and the ground is saturated with all of the thaw going on, which means no trail riding.  A buddy and I got 20 miles in today riding a combination of fire roads and county roads.  Road riding is boring in my opinion and it is highly inefficient on a mountain bike.  I look forward to our two weeks of temps in the 70s directly followed by months of temps in the 90s with high humidity.  Come on Spring!

.Walt

Since I finally got my unemployment worked out, (having two jobs last year paid off!) and I've been walking around lately, I'm going to volunteer and do some dog walking. I just don't get why it has to be done on their terms. You can only volunteer on weekends, not weekdays. Whatever, at least now I won't feel like a jobless piece of crap...as much.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

dragonboy

Good for you Walts!

Thanks to frustration & boredom I added another couple of miles to my run yesterday  ;D

After jogging for about 4months now I've finally reached the point were running is a real pleasure again. I love days when you've warmed up & everything is working perfectly, you're feeling fit & strong, no aches, no pains & you really hit your stride - it's such a powerful feeling.

I do need to get into the habit of stretching more though...

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Penny Lane

QuoteGood for you Walts!

Thanks to frustration & boredom I added another couple of miles to my run yesterday  ;D

After jogging for about 4months now I've finally reached the point were running is a real pleasure again. I love days when you've warmed up & everything is working perfectly, you're feeling fit & strong, no aches, no pains & you really hit your stride - it's such a powerful feeling.

I do need to get into the habit of stretching more though...

yep. after a 3 month hiatus, i'm back to running and rediscovering how much i missed it...did 7 or 8 this past weekend....thanks to a really cool Drive by truckers live mix  ;)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjkoehler

Nice. I'm sick...of this cold weather. It's killing my running mainly because I feel like I have a bottle of Elmers in my lungs from running outside in cold, damp weather. BRING ON SPRING AND SUMMER.

Penny, you should totally come to St Louis for October 3.

Penny Lane

QuoteNice. I'm sick...of this cold weather. It's killing my running mainly because I feel like I have a bottle of Elmers in my lungs from running outside in cold, damp weather. BRING ON SPRING AND SUMMER.

i'm thinking about it...i've done Columbus so many times...i've never run one w/out my Pops so maybe i could get him to run it w/me....
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjkoehler

QuoteNice. I'm sick...of this cold weather. It's killing my running mainly because I feel like I have a bottle of Elmers in my lungs from running outside in cold, damp weather. BRING ON SPRING AND SUMMER.

i'm thinking about it...i've done Columbus so many times...i've never run one w/out my Pops so maybe i could get him to run it w/me....
The more the merrier. You wouldn't be alone, plus this one runs near Dave's house. Beer at his crib afters.

pawpaw

I've never been real motivated with fitness, but up until about a year ago I managed to maintain a pretty regular routine. THEN, our son was born, and I haven't done shit since then. My energy is real low lately, still don't feel like I've caught up with sleep, but still can't get anything regular going...maybe tomorrow I'll start?  :-/  ;D

I'm REALLY looking forward to Daylight savings time in a couple weeks, and plan on getting my bike back out.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

armadison

I just finished my first triathlon today.  It was so much fun! I'm thinking I'd like to start doing these on a regular basis. That being said, does anyone have any recs for ladies road bikes which are a good fit for novices?  I'd prefer to spend under a $1000 if at all possible.  I borrowed a friend's bike today which was essentially a beach cruiser.  It was hilarious.  It goes without saying that I didn't break any speed records.   Many thanks! :)

mjkoehler

QuoteI just finished my first triathlon today.  It was so much fun! I'm thinking I'd like to start doing these on a regular basis. That being said, does anyone have any recs for ladies road bikes which are a good fit for novices?  I'd prefer to spend under a $1000 if at all possible.  I borrowed a friend's bike today which was essentially a beach cruiser.  It was hilarious.  It goes without saying that I didn't break any speed records.   Many thanks! :)
Nice! I can try to find out about the bike. I have a close friend who is a serious biker. I'll see what she has to say.

Soulshine

Nice work armadison!!!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Just got back from a nice 4 mile run. It is so beautiful out. It was a "Z" running day. I'm kicking around the idea of doing the 1/2 Boulder Marathon in September. I'd like to do a 10K sometime in between tho. I figure if I post it, my word will keep me serious about it. So there it is.
Because we're all in this together...

mjkoehler

QuoteNice work armadison!!!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Just got back from a nice 4 mile run. It is so beautiful out. It was a "Z" running day. I'm kicking around the idea of doing the 1/2 Boulder Marathon in September. I'd like to do a 10K sometime in between tho. I figure if I post it, my word will keep me serious about it. So there it is.
or you could work at doing a full in early October? I think Penny might  be coming to Stl run it with me.