The NFL Thread: 2010

Started by capt._headdy, Mar 05, 2010, 07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Cannot f'in wait!!!!  I got the Bears winning straight up in this one. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

I havent seen da Bears play all year so Im having a tough time getting a read on this game. Everyone seemed to think they were pretenders but now these last couple weeks everyone seems to have changed their mind. I guess if a team were to beat NE right now, theyd be near the top of the list. Cheaters have just been on such a roll Im not sure I see anyone beating them until they start beating themselves more - which maybe starts today.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteI guess it's going to be held Monday night in Detroit.

I think theyre saying Fox is only broadcasting it in local areas, ie Minnesota and New York/NJ...Damn, ESPN must really have a stranglehold on MNF rights or something.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Cannot f'in wait!!!!  I got the Bears winning straight up in this one. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

I havent seen da Bears play all year so Im having a tough time getting a read on this game. Everyone seemed to think they were pretenders but now these last couple weeks everyone seems to have changed their mind. I guess if a team were to beat NE right now, theyd be near the top of the list. Cheaters have just been on such a roll Im not sure I see anyone beating them until they start beating themselves more - which maybe starts today.

Well, the weather will likely be the great equalizer.  The Bears bend don't break D may well hold up against the dink and dunk.  As always, it comes down to whether we can get to Brady.  It seems the type of game where a tipped ball or ball through the hands of a receiver in these conditions may swing the game.  I've got no real read but it's gonna feel like some December football in Chitown, that's for sure.

Forte...All Day
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

johnnYYac

Well, as a Pats fan, I can't help but bask in the glory of two decisive wins against teams with great defenses on paper.  I'm curious about the reference to the Pats as "cheaters".  Hasn't it already been established that they were busted and paid the price for inappropriate video recording of other teams (Jets) a few years back, a practice most acknowledge happens across the league but for which the Pats got caught?  Is anyone suggesting the current Patriots team is carrying the best record, the first clinched playoff berth, and is a Super Bowl favorite because they're cheaters?  I kinda think it has something to do with a talented QB, smart roster building and draft selections with trades and long-range planning, an impressive performance by rookies and young cast-offs (Danny Woodhead, for example), and red zone production second to none.  I understand the frustration of those fans of teams who have lost to New England, but hasn't the "cheaters" reference lost relevance?  What are the Pats doing (or not doing) that should take away from their current success?

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Tracy 3000

Well, as a Pats fan, I can't help but bask in the glory of two decisive wins against teams with great defenses on paper.  I'm curious about the reference to the Pats as "cheaters".  Hasn't it already been established that they were busted and paid the price for inappropriate video recording of other teams (Jets) a few years back, a practice most acknowledge happens across the league but for which the Pats got caught?  Is anyone suggesting the current Patriots team is carrying the best record, the first clinched playoff berth, and is a Super Bowl favorite because they're cheaters?  I kinda think it has something to do with a talented QB, smart roster building and draft selections with trades and long-range planning, an impressive performance by rookies and young cast-offs (Danny Woodhead, for example), and red zone production second to none.  I understand the frustration of those fans of teams who have lost to New England, but hasn't the "cheaters" reference lost relevance?  What are the Pats doing (or not doing) that should take away from their current success?

Some people just hate Tom Brady. I can't imagine why   ::)

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

capt. scotty

Im not saying theyre still cheating, but thanks to SpyGate theyll always be the Cheaters to me - at least as long as Belichick is around.

They look fairly unstoppable right now, although the same could be said about the 2007 18-1 team.

Ruckus

QuoteLooks like a good day for football at Soldier Field! (Tater?)

Snow and areas of blowing snow. Temperature falling to around 23 by 5pm. Very windy, with a north northwest wind between 30 and 35 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
;D ;D ;D

Couple of calls go our way and it's the Bears game.

capt. scotty

So it looks like Favre's last throw as a Packer, last throw as a Viking, and last throw in a playoff game will all be INTs...Seems appropriate

ManNamedTruth

AFC North Champs!
I feel pretty good about our chances in the playoffs. The two teams that worry me most are New England and Philly (if we were to play Philly in the Super Bowl). I think Philly is the best team in the NFC but its gonna be tough for them not having the bye.
Not sure when they were announced, but I thought Lawrence Timmons and Mike Wallace were snubbed for Pro Bowl. I looked up the stats on NFL.com and sure enough Mike Wallace has both more yards AND TD's than Andre Johnson.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Tracy 2112

This is how Vegas sees it:

New England Patriots (13 to 10)
Atlanta Falcons (5 to 1)
Pittsburgh Steelers (5 to 1)
Chicago Bears (10 to 1)
Green Bay Packers  (10 to 1)
Philadelphia Eagles (12 to 1)
New Orleans Saints (12 to 1)
Baltimore Ravens (15 to 1)
Indianapolis Colts (18 to 1)
New York Jets (25 to 1)
Kansas City Chiefs (40 to 1)
Seattle Seahawks (150 to 1)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jan 03, 2011, 03:53 PM
AFC North Champs!
I feel pretty good about our chances in the playoffs. The two teams that worry me most are New England and Philly (if we were to play Philly in the Super Bowl). I think Philly is the best team in the NFC but its gonna be tough for them not having the bye.
Not sure when they were announced, but I thought Lawrence Timmons and Mike Wallace were snubbed for Pro Bowl. I looked up the stats on NFL.com and sure enough Mike Wallace has both more yards AND TD's than Andre Johnson.

They only team in the AFC that scares me is the Patsies. Ill worry about the NFC if we get to the super bowl.

Wallace and Timmons were definitely deserving, but I wouldnt call them snubs necessarily. Lloyd had more yards and TDs than Wallace, so its hard to take him out eventhough he's the weakest name. Bowe led all WRs in TDs. Wayne was 2nd in the NFL with 111 catches and had more yards than Wallace. Yeah, 60 Minutes yards and TDs were better than Andre, but Andre is widely considered the best WR in the NFL, so he has that going for him, plus his numbers werent far off of Wallace's and he played 3 less games and played with an injured ankle 3/4 of the year.

As for Timmons, he had a great year but tailed off over the last 4-6 weeks (maybe due to that hip pointer). Based on the first half of the year, he probably makes it. Hard to argue him over Ray-Ray or Mayo, both of which had more solo and total tackles than Timmons. That said, Timmons was on the #2 overall and #1 rush defense in the league, and did more in pass coverage than either of them.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 03, 2011, 05:03 PM
This is how Vegas sees it:

New England Patriots (13 to 10)
Atlanta Falcons (5 to 1)
Pittsburgh Steelers (5 to 1)
Chicago Bears (10 to 1)
Green Bay Packers  (10 to 1)
Philadelphia Eagles (12 to 1)
New Orleans Saints (12 to 1)
Baltimore Ravens (15 to 1)
Indianapolis Colts (18 to 1)
New York Jets (25 to 1)
Kansas City Chiefs (40 to 1)
Seattle Seahawks (150 to 1)

Im all over the Packers and Saints at these odds. Atlanta is tough as hell at home, but Im not sure they make it out of the NFC as this is the first time this team is really expected to do anything, let alone beat what is likely to be the Pats in the SB. Vick has been too shakey down the stretch, they dont give McCoy enough touches, and theyve lost too many guys on D for me to believe in them. Chicago doesnt stack up well offensively vs the 4 legit NFC teams (theyre 30th in offense, while ATL is 16th and the other 3 are in the top 10), so its hard for me to like their chances over 3 games.

And LMAO at the Seahawks...Its pretty much worth throwing $5 on them at those odds. Seahawks v. Steelers Part II  ;D

Ruckus

Looking forward to this year with my two favorite teams both making the dance.  I'm at ease knowing that they won't meet in the Super Bowl ;D  I agree with you Headdy that the Saints and Packers are my two top teams in the NFC.  I know the Falcons are tough at home but I'm just not sold on them in a big game situation.  They are probably the most balanced team in the playoffs though.  I actually think the Eagles are one and done.  I think they've been exposed as severely undermanned and youthful defensively and I'm not sure Vick can take many more hits and may be more hesitant to run.  We'll see I guess.

As for the AFC, I'm seriously contemplating another road trip to Lucas Oil stadium.  Tickets are cheap and I think this is the year we get our redemption.  That said, the Pats are the cream of the crop but I think that the Steelers and Ravens match up relatively well against them. 

Cannot wait.

I just put a grand on the Seahawks! ;)

johnnYYac

I want to see the Jets come to Foxboro next week, but I still can't cheer 'em on in this battle with Indy, one of the most boring games I've seen in a while.

Sorry, Tracy, bout dem Saints.  The Pats need to learn this lesson- any team can beat any other team any time.  "Any given Saturday." 

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 08, 2011, 10:29 PM
I want to see the Jets come to Foxboro next week, but I still can't cheer 'em on in this battle with Indy, one of the most boring games I've seen in a while.

Sorry, Tracy, bout dem Saints.  The Pats need to learn this lesson- any team can beat any other team any time.  "Any given Saturday."

well, it just goes to show that every game counts. If our FG kicker had not missed a 29 yarder in OT against the Falcons early in the year, we would have a bye and home field next weekend. We're beat up (4 RB's out) and our D is a little banged up, but they didn't show up today.

The Super Bowl is in the Big Easy next year; watch out.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 08, 2011, 10:41 PM

well, it just goes to show that every game counts. If our FG kicker had not missed a 29 yarder in OT against the Falcons early in the year, we would have a bye and home field next weekend. We're beat up (4 RB's out) and our D is a little banged up, but they didn't show up today.

The Falcons ended the regular season at 13-3 and your Saints at 11-5. If they would have won that one game you mentioned, they would've been 12-4 and they still would've been a wild card with the Falcons winning the division.

EDIT:
They would've both been 12-4 (brain fart) and also would've had both the same divisional and conference record. I don't know, I would just delete this post if we could still do that.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Ruckus

A great day to wake up and be a Jets fan!  I'd just like to point out that not ALL Jets fans are total douches.  In the eight years I lived on Long Island, the best season the Jets had was 8-8 with a number of 1-15s, 3-13s and 6-10s littered throughout.  We had real fans back then and as crappy as we were, I felt that we had some class.  I personally do not condone any of Rex Ryan's shenanigans and hate the fact that his behavior has put a target on us and made us such a hateable franchise in the eyes of many non-Jets fans as well as a week in/week out national story.

In other news, this city is painted frickin' purple!  All of it!  Everyone in a 100 mile radius wore Ravens gear to work on Friday.  I live right near City Hall and it is purple!  Makes ya hanker for some grape soda.

corey

Um, Rex Ryan is one of the main reasons why I've been keeping an eye on the Jets this season. The guy is just fun. Maybe a little strange with that whole foot thing...:)   but he caught my attention last year with the "we're not here to kiss Belichik's rings" comments. If there's a coach that I can't stand in the NFL, it's Belichik.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jan 09, 2011, 02:02 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 08, 2011, 10:41 PM

The Falcons ended the regular season at 13-3 and your Saints at 11-5. If they would have won that one game you mentioned, they would've been 12-4 and they still would've been a wild card with the Falcons winning the division.

EDIT:
They would've both been 12-4 (brain fart) and also would've had both the same divisional and conference record. I don't know, I would just delete this post if we could still do that.

Well, I think we would have kept our starters in against the Bucs the last game of the season and beat them, if we were playing for the division title and a first round bye. Too many ifs

My point is how every game really counts.

Ruckus

Quote from: corey on Jan 09, 2011, 10:29 AM
Um, Rex Ryan is one of the main reasons why I've been keeping an eye on the Jets this season. The guy is just fun. Maybe a little strange with that whole foot thing...:)   but he caught my attention last year with the "we're not here to kiss Belichik's rings" comments. If there's a coach that I can't stand in the NFL, it's Belichik.

I think that's cool then.  A couple of my friends who were indifferent towards the Jets now despise them because of Ryan.  Plus they've become more polarizing because of Ryan and the media.  He was a breath of fresh air for us last year and he's done a hell of a job with the team.  I honestly believe that he doesn't realize how much he is making it about himself.  He can say how much he loves his players and his players love him and that drawing attention to himself draws attention away from Sanchez and all his flaws but I feel like he crossed a line this year into supreme egoland