The NFL Thread: 2010

Started by capt._headdy, Mar 05, 2010, 07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon T.

I think the toughness criticism is completely unfair.  There is a pretty good read about it on deadspin.com that talks about how the kind of backlash he received shows just how far the NFL has to go before player safety is taken seriously.
I had similar ligament damage in college playing soccer.  After the doctor knocked my kneecap back in place, I was able to walk, and from what I remember, I didn't even limp that bad.  But, I don't care who you are, it is just humanly impossible to plant, pivot, or anything other than just straight steps without your leg just folding. 
Edit- Sorry about the format of the "quote".  My screen was acting all wonky when I was typing at the bottom.
Quote from: Walts on Jan 25, 2011, 08:59 AM
Quote from: Hawkeye on Jan 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
Disappointed in Cutler.  Hard to say how bad the knee was hurt, but still...I feel like there are some other QB's who would have toughed it out...it's the friggin' Championship game!  Come on!  It was even more frustrating when they'd cut to him on the bench, just sitting there.  Didn't look like he was doing much to help Hanie or really into the game at all.  I tried to give him every benefit of the doubt, but God Damn It.  Show a little heart or emotion!

I'm on the side that thinks Cutler didn't do anything wrong. Yes, even before I knew the results of his MRI. The guy gets ripped on all the time and gets sacked the most. I doubt that he really didn't want to play in the biggest game of his career. He's not a rah rah kind of guy, and 5 seconds that Fox was showing doesn't show a lot. He was told not to play, but he still was on the sidelines with his team. He could have sat in the locker room, made it look worse than what it was, and stayed warm, but he stayed by his team like a captain going down with his ship.

Hawkeye

I was probably a bit too harsh in my post.  It's just not his personality to be all "rah-rah" on the sidelines.  (I can relate)  I was still pretty frustrated by the loss, and by his play before the injury, altho it wasn't just his play that was sub-par.  I seem to remember a college QB finishing a game on a broken leg (was it Leftwich?...will have to look this up), and remembering this story just kinda set me off.

I guess I won't question his toughness, but he has some work to do yet to fully win me over.  I see his talent.  That's obvious.  He just needs to establish a winning track record...and don't get me wrong, leading a team to 12 wins is nothing to sneeze at...but Rex Grossman led us to 13 wins if I remember correctly, and made the big game.  Just sayin'.  I hope Cutler puts in some hard work in the off season and we continue to improve.  That's all you can ask for.
We could.

Jaimoe

And I thought the NFL combines made for the worst televised sporting event, but I was wrong. NFL's televised Pro Bowl practice is even worse. Don't check your local listings.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jan 29, 2011, 01:32 PM
And I thought the NFL combines made for the worst televised sporting event, but I was wrong. NFL's televised Pro Bowl practice is even worse. Don't check your local listings.

I usually dont watch it for longer than 20 minute periods, but the combine isnt terrible. Kind of depends what theyre testing/timing
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

Sports News in Brief- Onion Sports Network

No One Shows Up For Pro Bowl

January 30, 2011 |

NEW YORK—Despite the game having been scheduled well over a year ago, not a single person associated with the NFL—players, coaches, reporters, or stadium employees—arrived in Honolulu for the Pro Bowl on Sunday. "No one came," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said at a press conference. "I'd use this as an opportunity to reprimand those who failed to fulfill their duties, but, well, I didn't show up either. I hate the Pro Bowl. It sucks." Though Fox was forced to broadcast a blank screen in lieu of the game, the time slot boasted higher ratings than any Pro Bowl in history.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ManNamedTruth

The Pro Bowl does suck, and they make it worse by making it the week before the Super Bowl - so obviously no one playing in the Super Bowl will play.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

walterfredo

Go Packers!!

As a 49er fan, I can't believe I just said that!  Aaron Rodgers is a Cal guy, and a Chico kid...so I've got pull for him. 

capt. scotty

Glad to see Troy win Defensive Player of the Year..Although he has been underwhelming in the playoffs, he didnt have a bad game in the regular season that I recall, made a ton of just ridiculous plays you rarely see. I think with our D being #1 and in the Superbowl, he also had a little edge in getting it as sort of a career achievement award.

Im biased, but I think Clay Matthews season was a little overrated as he became a media darling thanks to good play, but also family legacy and underdog storyline coming out of highschool. Tamba Hali and Cameron Wake both had very similar seasons (within 8 and 3 tackles, respectively, of Clay) and both actually had more sacks and FFumbles. Obviously Matthews gets an edge over them for being on a Top 5 D, but I dont think you'd guess those 2 guys had arguably better individual seasons than Matthews.

I think James Harrison had a better season than Matthews, and its not really close. Matthews did have 3 more sacks than Silverback, but 6 were in the first 2 games. Silverback had more PD's, INTs, FF's(4 more, 6 total which was #2 in NFL), and FR. What really makes Harrison's season better though (and even better than Troy Id argue) is he had 100 tackles (70 solo), a whole 40 tackles more than Matthews. Whats even crazier is that Harrison is the only player with over 80 tackles who had more than 6 sacks  :o
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 31, 2011, 09:50 PM
Glad to see Troy win Defensive Player of the Year..Although he has been underwhelming in the playoffs, he didnt have a bad game in the regular season that I recall, made a ton of just ridiculous plays you rarely see. I think with our D being #1 and in the Superbowl, he also had a little edge in getting it as sort of a career achievement award.

Im biased, but I think Clay Matthews season was a little overrated as he became a media darling thanks to good play, but also family legacy and underdog storyline coming out of highschool. Tamba Hali and Cameron Wake both had very similar seasons (within 8 and 3 tackles, respectively, of Clay) and both actually had more sacks and FFumbles. Obviously Matthews gets an edge over them for being on a Top 5 D, but I dont think you'd guess those 2 guys had arguably better individual seasons than Matthews.

I think James Harrison had a better season than Matthews, and its not really close. Matthews did have 3 more sacks than Silverback, but 6 were in the first 2 games. Silverback had more PD's, INTs, FF's(4 more, 6 total which was #2 in NFL), and FR. What really makes Harrison's season better though (and even better than Troy Id argue) is he had 100 tackles (70 solo), a whole 40 tackles more than Matthews. Whats even crazier is that Harrison is the only player with over 80 tackles who had more than 6 sacks  :o

Good news on Troy, hadn't heard yet. He had a great season and was due to get one. If i remember correctly this is his first? I think his heel injury has affected him, hopefully he'll be well rested for the Super Bowl.
Steelers D have the second highest rating not the first. Although Steelers were number one in several categories, Chargers had number one D as well as offense. It's crazy they didn't make the playoffs with those stats.

ManNamedTruth

I know many of you are fans of beards, so just wanted to post some pics of Brett Keisel.

capt. scotty

Keisel was at a Ben Harper show in the Burgh a few years ago, apparently he's a big fan and was campaigning on DVE to get Harper to play the National Anthem before a playoff game. Anyhow, Ben knew Keisel was there and started some banter about it. Shortly after, Keisel threw a Steelers scarf on stage and Ben thanked him for it and whatnot. Was pretty sweet, maybe even better than seeing Hallahan rocking a Troy jersey and Terrible Towel during the encore of the Pittsburgh show last year.  ::)

I tried to start a Here We Go Steelers chant during the show exodus, and no one really chimed in, surprisingly. Ive tried to start Lets Go Bucs chants that understandingly go nowhere after shows, but Ive never started a Steelers chant at a show that didnt get huge for a minute, especially not one where a player was actually in attendance  ;D

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: capt. scotty on Feb 01, 2011, 11:39 PM
Keisel was at a Ben Harper show in the Burgh a few years ago, apparently he's a big fan and was campaigning on DVE to get Harper to play the National Anthem before a playoff game. Anyhow, Ben knew Keisel was there and started some banter about it. Shortly after, Keisel threw a Steelers scarf on stage and Ben thanked him for it and whatnot. Was pretty sweet, maybe even better than seeing Hallahan rocking a Troy jersey and Terrible Towel during the encore of the Pittsburgh show last year.  ::)

I tried to start a Here We Go Steelers chant during the show exodus, and no one really chimed in, surprisingly. Ive tried to start Lets Go Bucs chants that understandingly go nowhere after shows, but Ive never started a Steelers chant at a show that didnt get huge for a minute, especially not one where a player was actually in attendance  ;D

Witch show was this? I saw Harper in 2007 at the Benedum and was directly behind Keisel and Big Ben!

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 02, 2011, 03:11 PM

Witch show was this? I saw Harper in 2007 at the Benedum and was directly behind Keisel and Big Ben!

Yeah, that was the show...you dont remember the banter and then Keisel throwing that up onstage?! I was probably 70 yards from where Keisel was but he stood out like a sore thumb because he was like 4 inches taller than everyone else...Didnt ralize Roeth was there. Off topic, that was a good show, but hands down the worst Ben Harper show Ive seen of the 7 times Ive seen him, mostly thanks to the setlist being Lifeline-centric.

capt. scotty

I think if they didnt have 2 weeks between the AFC/NFC Champ and the Super Bowl, all this coverage wouldnt feel so repetitive and boring. I cant even listen to ESPN's coverage anymore..We're talking about who has better hair, Polamalu or Matthews..reaLLy?!?!

The local radio coverage has kept me interested though, and a surprising amount of things have popped out the last few days, the least of which was Pouncey now saying he's 75% likely to play. The whole GB photo think mostly got glossed over here, but it seems like that story actually re-appeared and became more of a deal than it shouldve. Some Steelers going to a strip club monday night got a lot of talk yesterday, though I think nothing of it a week before the game. The whole Peter King article definitely makes some good conversation. I dont think Goodell shouldve publicly told anyone that, and I know he didnt expect it to come out this week, but I think it fires us up a little more. Why would he even interview opposing teams players on what they think of Ben? You think theyre really gonna stand up for the guy?  ;D

Anyone else's local markets hitting on any of these topics?

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: capt. scotty on Feb 02, 2011, 05:02 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 02, 2011, 03:11 PM

Yeah, that was the show...you dont remember the banter and then Keisel throwing that up onstage?! I was probably 70 yards from where Keisel was but he stood out like a sore thumb because he was like 4 inches taller than everyone else...Didnt ralize Roeth was there. Off topic, that was a good show, but hands down the worst Ben Harper show Ive seen of the 7 times Ive seen him, mostly thanks to the setlist being Lifeline-centric.

My memory is a little hazy don't really remember that it was him who threw that on stage but I do remember Harper saying something. That was my only Harper show and i was definitely not overly impressed.

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 02, 2011, 10:21 PM
My memory is a little hazy don't really remember that it was him who threw that on stage but I do remember Harper saying something. That was my only Harper show and i was definitely not overly impressed.

Yeah, Lifeline is the only album of BH's I dont like, and probably only like 3 songs on it where usually there might only be 1 song I dont like on a given album of his. Plus throw in and he never plays theaters and that tour was scaled back because of that and the album, them wearing suits, etc it wasnt the best way to see your first Harper show..Who knows if he ever comes again, but Id go in a second if he comes anywhere near the Burgh for his next tour (though that might be with Relentless7, but Ive never seen them so Im there as well)

capt. scotty

Woke up a little bit ago..had a dream about the super bowl.

First drive we go down the field, similar to the Jets game. Get a TD on 3rd and goal, but it gets called back because of a hold from 1 of the 4 backups starting for our OL, and we have to settle for a FG. GB tries to establish the run their first couple of drives, but cant and dont do much. We struggle our next few drives as well. Next drive, GB completes a deep ball to both Driver and Jones, end up getting a TD. We come back next drive, and thank to a few catches from Sanders and Brown, we counter with a TD...10-7 at the half...2nd half GB comes out, throws a bunch of underneath stuff and end up with a TD, despite missed holding calls on their OT numerous times on Harrison and Woodley (1 big story of the entire game)...We end up getting a FG somewhere in there, 14-13 GB after 3...4th Q remains a defensive chess match. Midway thru Roethlisberger is under pressure, throws into tight coverage, ball gets deflected and picked by one of the Safeties and returned basically into FG range. GB gets about 15yds and is able to kick a FG..Steelers mount a drive but only get to about midfield, choose to punt to maintain field position with over 3 minutes left. However, GB is able to get a few first downs and run most of the clock out. Rodgers seals the deal on 3rd and 6 with a 8 yard run. GB wins 17-13.

I hope my dreams are better then next couple of nights  :-\

...now to see if Pouncey practices today

capt. scotty

I hope this doesnt cause unwarranted flags to be thrown, but this cracked me up...Silverback was definitely psyched for the Jets game, and I think he's been talking this week to pump himself up even more for the SB..Thats how Silverback rolls  8)

James Harrison Jokes About Fines

capt. scotty

I got a better feeling today than I did a couple days ago, but I see this game as truly a pick em..TO's or a big special teams play may be the deciding factor

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Feb 06, 2011, 04:35 PM
I got a better feeling today than I did a couple days ago, but I see this game as truly a pick em..TO's or a big special teams play may be the deciding factor

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!!!!

Oral sex from Brett Keisel must be amazing!  Right ladies?!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head