Main Menu

TV on the Radio

Started by shockadow, Aug 19, 2008, 09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik26

Quotewow coming back on here looking for a response I didn't realize there was a 4 page thread. unfortunatly I never found these guys in september when the rest of you did. Just saw them on snl and colbert report. Gotta say i dig it. But just like MMJ they will never be near me and will have to drive at least 10 hours to see them.

Most people on here knew of TV on the Radio long before september. Did you hear Any of the albums yet? I'd recommend all of them, but personally I think Dear Science is their best. BTW, where do you live?
I live in Calgary, Alberta. We host the biggest outdoor show in the world called the Calgary Stampede every summer for 2 weeks. which draws in over a million tourists and some of the biggest names on the world. Unfortunatly we are completely inundated in country and red-neck rock. Particularly AC/DC and Nickleback. The country doesn't bather me as much as the ac/dc stuff. We have countless radio stations, two of them are alternative but have never played TVOTR or MMJ for that matter. 30% Canadian content which means you better learn to like Billy Talent, Alexis on Fire and other crappy emo canadian bands. Bands like MMJ and TVOTR don't even come to Vancouver(11.5 hour drive across the mountains) to play. We got lucky with Pemberton Festival last year. So with no local support besides the odd few that come across these bands or go to a lot of festivals, out here it takes a bigger album to get noticed and it is sad. After 4 albums (the latest sucking the most) they just started to play KOL here. Like MMJ though we had found them earlier and have been hounding local radio to pick them up. To bad they won't play their old stuff.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Jaimoe

Quotewow coming back on here looking for a response I didn't realize there was a 4 page thread. unfortunatly I never found these guys in september when the rest of you did. Just saw them on snl and colbert report. Gotta say i dig it. But just like MMJ they will never be near me and will have to drive at least 10 hours to see them.

Most people on here knew of TV on the Radio long before september. Did you hear Any of the albums yet? I'd recommend all of them, but personally I think Dear Science is their best. BTW, where do you live?
I live in Calgary, Alberta. We host the biggest outdoor show in the world called the Calgary Stampede every summer for 2 weeks. which draws in over a million tourists and some of the biggest names on the world. Unfortunatly we are completely inundated in country and red-neck rock. Particularly AC/DC and Nickleback. The country doesn't bather me as much as the ac/dc stuff. We have countless radio stations, two of them are alternative but have never played TVOTR or MMJ for that matter. 30% Canadian content which means you better learn to like Billy Talent, Alexis on Fire and other crappy emo canadian bands. Bands like MMJ and TVOTR don't even come to Vancouver(11.5 hour drive across the mountains) to play. We got lucky with Pemberton Festival last year. So with no local support besides the odd few that come across these bands or go to a lot of festivals, out here it takes a bigger album to get noticed and it is sad. After 4 albums (the latest sucking the most) they just started to play KOL here. Like MMJ though we had found them earlier and have been hounding local radio to pick them up. To bad they won't play their old stuff.

I don't doubt Calgary is boring, musically speaking of course. It is isolated. Part of the problem is you don't get a lot of border bleed-over. However, I bet you aren't looking hard enough for what you deem as good radio. Check college and university radio stations. Their playlists will differ than Calgary's "good old boy" rock radio formats. Also, I don't like a lot of commerical Canadian rock, but I'm a fierce defender of 30% CanCon content. If we didn't have CanCon quotos, Canada would be overrun by 30% more terrible American music. Important breakthrough artists like Feist, Broken Social Scene, K'Naan, K-os, Arcade Fire, The Dears and even The Tragically Hip have all benefitted from CanCon.

Canada is far more regulated than the US, particularly when it comes to media streams like radio and TV. Plus, Canada's population is tiny compared to the US, thus, we don't have the population to support niche music markets (other than college radio).

And another thing: My Morning Jacket and TV on the Radio aren't breakout bands and/or anywhere near household names just yet. The Jacket are close though.  

sookie

QuoteHOLY SHIT!! THIS IS A KILLER ALBUM.  [size=22]KILLER[/size]

OMG OMG OMG OMG.  This is easily the best music I've heard in a long time.  It sounds completely different from Cookie Mountain.  It sounds like a completely different fucking band.   

^This is why I'm willing to give this album a chance, b/c I'm hearing it's so different.  To be honest, aside from a couple of stand out songs, I wasn't crazy about Return to Cookie Mountain.  It was just too hard to digest or something.  Couldn't grasp where they were comin from.  
but everywhere I turn I'm hearing about how great this album new is, so I'm gonna give it a try!
I was following the pack all swallowed in their coats with scarves of red tied round their throats..

xmascriminal

I finally started to love the new album last weekend. It rules.

Soulshine

QuoteHOLY SHIT!! THIS IS A KILLER ALBUM.  [size=22]KILLER[/size]

OMG OMG OMG OMG.  This is easily the best music I've heard in a long time.  It sounds completely different from Cookie Mountain.  It sounds like a completely different fucking band.   

^This is why I'm willing to give this album a chance, b/c I'm hearing it's so different.  To be honest, aside from a couple of stand out songs, I wasn't crazy about Return to Cookie Mountain.  It was just too hard to digest or something.  Couldn't grasp where they were comin from.  
but everywhere I turn I'm hearing about how great this album new is, so I'm gonna give it a try!

Do it! I was late joining the party. I need time with music. I have to take a long time to listen, put it away...bring it back out....digest it so I tend to be behind everyone else. I got this a few weeks ago and it kicks arse!  :D
Because we're all in this together...

EAZYE

these guys haven't left the cd player in my car since i decided to try them out a couple of weeks ago.  since then i've bought all three albums.  solid
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

at dawn

I believe they're coming to OKC in May....

capt. scotty

Why did it take me so long to get Dear Science?!?!!! Probably the same reason why I wanted to get RTCM 2 years ago, but still havent gotten around to getting it. Well, after listening to at least part of Dear Science everyday for the last week or so, it wont take long.

DS is just blowing me away. Im pretty sure its already surpassed Blitzen Trapper as my favorite album from 2008. There isnt a song on the album that Id call weak, but what impresses me most is that even with as much as I like Halfway Home and Crying, I think the album only gets better as it goes on.

I cant get enough of this song. Eventhough I think when I first heard it a few days ago it was around 9AM and I had only gotten 4-5 hours of sleep, I was having a dance party in my car. Definitely my early favorite from the album. Haunting, energizing, hypnotic, and beautiful all at the same time. Sounds like me in the sack  :P

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N31oFeinFY[/media]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Dee.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP4pHeRSK1E[/media]

I have listened to this album a lottttt. Like it bunches. Lover's Day is pretty awesome, no?

capt. scotty

QuoteThat first song you posted Im liking alright Shock, that one DARK just posted though Im not feelin at all

As far as the rock/indie/whatever scene goes, I really dont listen to much these days because I guess its just not my style, but I like their sound

Ive actaully wanted to get Cookie Mountain for a while, but now that I think about it, I havent even bout an album period since Evil Urges im pretty sure. I liked a lot of what I heard from that album

Should I start with Return to Cookie Mtn. or something else regarding them?

Well, I definitely changed my opinion on Dancing Choose, but I still dont think its near 1 of the better songs on the album - which isnt necessarily downplaying it considering how many gems are there.

Im almost positive nothing will eclipse DLZ as my favorite song, but I still think this album only gets stronger as it goes on. Family Tree, Shout Me Out, Love Dog, I mean c'mon!!!  :D

I dont skip a song in the first half, but I think maybe the best 6 songs on the album are tracks #6-11. This album blows me away each time I listen to it.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Would there be any reason why I should get the actual CD of Bloodthirsty Babes, Desperate Youth or the Young Liars EP or would going ahead and just buying the music folder from iTunes be alright?

red

QuoteWould there be any reason why I should get the actual CD of Bloodthirsty Babes, Desperate Youth or the Young Liars EP or would going ahead and just buying the music folder from iTunes be alright?
Young Liars has a bonus track which might not be on the digital copy.  It's an a capella cover of "Mr. Grieves."  And yes, it's awesome.  

Erik26

The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Ruckus

Saw them last night with Ghosts at Ram's Head.  Though I'm not the biggest fan and was unfamiliar with any of their new songs, I still thought it was a bangin' show.  I didn't realize how poular they had gotten that they could sell out Rams Head at over 30 bucks a ticket.

Thanks Ghosts.  Good Times :beer:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 11, 2011, 09:55 AM
Saw them last night with Ghosts at Ram's Head.  Though I'm not the biggest fan and was unfamiliar with any of their new songs, I still thought it was a bangin' show.  I didn't realize how poular they had gotten that they could sell out Rams Head at over 30 bucks a ticket.

Yeah man! I had fun. How many passed out girls did we see, I can't remember. Haha. At least 2.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ruckus

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on Apr 11, 2011, 10:26 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 11, 2011, 09:55 AM

Yeah man! I had fun. How many passed out girls did we see, I can't remember. Haha. At least 2.
;D. I only remember the one who was hauled out by that dude doing the fireman's carry or something.  Thanks passed out chick!  We yoinked you and your fireman's spot and it sounded much better.  ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ALady

I'm still undecided on the new record...I think I prefer dancey TVOTR to ballady TVOTR...but I think it'll grow on me.  I've heard they've been killing it this week, so excited to see them this summer!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

capt. scotty

Quote from: ALady on Apr 11, 2011, 03:08 PM
I'm still undecided on the new record...I think I prefer dancey TVOTR to ballady TVOTR...but I think it'll grow on me.  I've heard they've been killing it this week, so excited to see them this summer!

I prefer rockish TVOTR to dancish TVOTR to ballad TVOTR, but I think the first couple songs are ballady and very good, as is Will Do...I like the album after a few listens, but its just not as good as Cookie Mtn or Dear Science no matter how many times ill listen to it. The sound and intent is still there, but the energy is missing. There are a few rockers though, Im sure Repetitions is great live, especially the ending which reminds me of RATM quite a bit

jones