FLEET FOXES... excellent... but...

Started by buaawwww, Feb 26, 2009, 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buaawwww

Forgive me if there was already a thread on this somewhere, I searched but could not find one, and I was just too curious and wanted to see if people agreed with me on this...

I kept hearing all the hype about this band and their album and saw it on like EVERY critics top ten of albums for the year.  So I finally bought it and gave it a couple of spins.

I have to say the music is beautiful and the the vocals as well... just an excellent sounding record... but...

GOOD LORD THEY SOUND JUST LIKE MY MORNING JACKET!!!!!   I mean half the songs on their album I could picture being on At Dawn?!?!?  I don't know....

Penny Lane

it's a beautiful record but yes, i agree.

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

buaawwww

Quoteit's a beautiful record but yes, i agree.

Ha OK good I am glad to hear that... lol.  It was driving me nuts!  I mean don't get me wrong I think it is a beautiful record.  However when I went back and read like 10 different magazine's critic's top 10 albums of 2008, this was in the top 5 (some even at #1), while "Evil Urges" was maybe in 2 top 10?  Wrong... wrong... wrong...

bold99

I picked up Uncut magazine this month and in the letters some guy thanks them for turning him onto Fleet Foxes but says when he first heard them he thought they were ripping off one of his favorite bands, MMJ.

I personally can't get into them.  I agree the vocals sound like Jim though.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

ALady

What do you think sounds similar?  I don't hear it at all.

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Ruckus

I know it's a good talking point but c'mon peeps, stop reading top ten lists.  I take that back, stop taking them seriously.  If Fleet Foxes sounds like MMJ, Al Borlan looks like Bob Villa :-?

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1215281376
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1202407939
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Taterbug

QuoteWhat do you think sounds similar?  I don't hear it at all.

On the EP Sun Giant, listen to Innocent Son.

When I 1st heard it I thought I was listening to a new Solo Jim James song.  Regardless, I think it's great someone has a voice similar to Jims that appeals to me.  Everbody sounds like somebody.  If it's good.... turn it the FUCK UP.  

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

ALady

Okay, good call.  I'm still not sure Robin's bitin' Jim's style exactly, I think they just happen to have similar voices.  I think they're pretty easily distinguished from one another, and I like what both of them are doing with what they've got  :)

Agree there ain't nothin' new under the sun   :)

tomEisenbraun

Robin may have a similar natural timbre, but he, by no means, uses this to rip off Jim's vocal style. Robin's intricacies are so much more baroque, preferring to step around a bit more tonally for emphasis. And listen to the album the whole way through. He's got a similar voice, which can't be helped, but he doesn't use it the same at all. This is his band and his music and they sound like the Fleet Foxes and not My Morning Jacket. Love these guys, what they've done and what they stand for. I've not met humbler popular musicians before. Even when I stalkerishly stopped Josh Tillman in the street before the show, he wasn't even weirded out that I recognized him, so much as really pleased to be recognized and to have had his music connected with by someone. I'll stick up for these dudes any day.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Ghosts_on_TV

His voice is similar to Jims, but I think thats about it. Their sound is  different, I think, even from older MMJ.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

ALady

QuoteRobin may have a similar natural timbre, but he, by no means, uses this to rip off Jim's vocal style. Robin's intricacies are so much more baroque, preferring to step around a bit more tonally for emphasis. And listen to the album the whole way through. He's got a similar voice, which can't be helped, but he doesn't use it the same at all. This is his band and his music and they sound like the Fleet Foxes and not My Morning Jacket. Love these guys, what they've done and what they stand for. I've not met humbler popular musicians before. Even when I stalkerishly stopped Josh Tillman in the street before the show, he wasn't even weirded out that I recognized him, so much as really pleased to be recognized and to have had his music connected with by someone. I'll stick up for these dudes any day.

I am so excited to stalk Josh Tillman at SXSW.  Shhh, don't tell him I said that.

Kenny76

QuoteRobin may have a similar natural timbre, but he, by no means, uses this to rip off Jim's vocal style. Robin's intricacies are so much more baroque, preferring to step around a bit more tonally for emphasis. And listen to the album the whole way through. He's got a similar voice, which can't be helped, but he doesn't use it the same at all. This is his band and his music and they sound like the Fleet Foxes and not My Morning Jacket. Love these guys, what they've done and what they stand for. I've not met humbler popular musicians before. Even when I stalkerishly stopped Josh Tillman in the street before the show, he wasn't even weirded out that I recognized him, so much as really pleased to be recognized and to have had his music connected with by someone. I'll stick up for these dudes any day.

I haven't heard these guys yet but you just totally sold me on them.

ManNamedTruth

Lots of similarities with the vocals but I can hear just as many differences. They deserve the hype.
Fleet Foxes S/T>Evil Urges
Any other MMJ album>Fleet Foxes S/T
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

aMillionDreams

I thought that at first, but after listening to them more I think they share more in common with CSNY then MMJ
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI thought that at first, but after listening to them more I think they share more in common with CSNY then MMJ
I agree with that.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Crispy

I haven't heard these guys yet but you just totally sold me on them.

I consider myself a huge Fleet Foxes fan, but Tom is (me * 10). Go through the other thread(s) to see more fine points on the Foxes/MMJ differences. I will never tire of listening to Sun Giant.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

tomEisenbraun

Good Lord, Sun Giant is absolute perfection. So perfectly short.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

buaawwww

QuoteLots of similarities with the vocals but I can hear just as many differences. They deserve the hype.
Fleet Foxes S/T>Evil Urges
Any other MMJ album>Fleet Foxes S/T

EVIL URGES >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FLEET FOXES.
Hell, the combo of Smokin From Shootin into TMIGTS pat. II is better than that whole album.

Ghostess on TV

When I first heard them, I thought his voice sounded likes Jim's, but now after falling in love with Fleet Foxes, I don't think they sound at all alike.

kydiddle

The only similarities I can see is that both are fabulous, brilliant groups and deserve a ton of praise and attention.

And as much as I love MMJ, I like Fleet Foxes better than Evil Urges. That album and Sun Giant continues to blow me away.
Cow temperature.