FLEET FOXES... excellent... but...

Started by buaawwww, Feb 26, 2009, 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

QuoteGreat find, BH - the sound is outstanding. I need to check out the steam engine way more often than I do.

While you are there, get the Ryan Adams European 2008 Compilation.  Again, the sound is excellent and it covers all of the great stuff he's playing these days.  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

searchinbig

QuoteCheck out this amazing live show from Sydney (1-3-2009)  Sound is excellent.

http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2009/03/fleet-foxes-metro-sydney-australia-2009.html

Nice! Thanks for posting. Now I will definitely be forced to check these guys out.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

meggha

QuoteI thought that at first, but after listening to them more I think they share more in common with CSNY then MMJ

I agree with this statement.

Robin's voice is most definitely similar to Jim's, but it's still beautiful and unique. But c'mon, we have similarities to everyone and everything that exists, yet we're each completely unique.
Beautiful music is just beautiful music, it doesn't matter who else it sounds like or doesn't sound like. Shit, when I first started listening to mmj and singing along, I found that my vocal range and style is also very similar to Jim's, yet different.

Everything is the same yet unique. ya dig? :o
"Yeah, it's chaos, it's clocks, it's watermelons, it's everything."

ALady

I lost out on two solid years of BoH fandom because some yahoo told me they were a MMJ ripoff.  When I finally came around and gave 'em a listen, I didn't think they sounded similar at all, and they're fantastic in their own right.

Let people make up their own minds.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

tomEisenbraun

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...

meggha

Quotefleet foxes=boring

why don't you dis on a band we all love somewhere else??d

:P

Bob Loblaw

Blue Ridge Mountains is my favorite right now.  I love that song.

the sun and moon

When I first heard the Fleet Foxes, I (guess you can say) hated them. Their sound somehow triggered my MMJ defense mode and I instantly branded them as mundane rip-off artists. I must have given them the ultimate insult somewhere on this board and for it I was deservingly put in my place. It took a while just to like them and now it's safe to say, I love them. I now feel like a fool. I suggest that anyone that feels the same way I did should reconsider their feelings about Fleet Foxes. They are a wondeful band of artists.

"White Winter Hymnal" "Meadowlark" and "Oliver James" are absolutely beautiful.

Leontheslut

Quotefleet foxes=boring

Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Vadie Stark

Yea______h       Bab____________y
[highlight][/highlight]
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

MickeyReds

Quotefleet foxes=boring

Nah. I like it here. Thank god I didn't buy the album. I illegally downloaded it. :P
As long as you keep a straight face...

Leontheslut

Quotefleet foxes=boring

Nah. I like it here. Thank god I didn't buy the album. I illegally downloaded it. :P
oooooooooooo the humanity!
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

meggha

Quotefleet foxes=boring

No, this is not America.  :)

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteWhen I first heard the Fleet Foxes, I (guess you can say) hated them. Their sound somehow triggered my MMJ defense mode and I instantly branded them as mundane rip-off artists. I must have given them the ultimate insult somewhere on this board and for it I was deservingly put in my place. It took a while just to like them and now it's safe to say, I love them. I now feel like a fool. I suggest that anyone that feels the same way I did should reconsider their feelings about Fleet Foxes. They are a wondeful band of artists.

"White Winter Hymnal" "Meadowlark" and "Oliver James" are absolutely beautiful.

Ya, I think that was from me...sorry.  :)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Bumbeli

I'm really getting into them lately.
To be honest I found them to be quiet boring at first, but they've really grown on me.
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

dynamo5

His voice is very similar but they are def doing there own thing!

capt. scotty

After reading this entire thread, I have no idea what to think. Seems that from MMJ fans, its about a 50/50 love or hate split on these guys.

I checked on the 30 sec clips of the album and EP awhile ago, and the guy sounds like Jim, but that was the only similarity I heard. That said, nothing I heard really made me what to delve deeper with this band.

Since there's so many here who dont like them, I feel like Im probably in that group, although after reading through all of this, Im slighty intrigued to hear more.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

QuoteAfter reading this entire thread, I have no idea what to think. Seems that from MMJ fans, its about a 50/50 love or hate split on these guys.

I checked on the 30 sec clips of the album and EP awhile ago, and the guy sounds like Jim, but that was the only similarity I heard. That said, nothing I heard really made me what to delve deeper with this band.

Since there's so many here who dont like them, I feel like Im probably in that group, although after reading through all of this, Im slighty intrigued to hear more.

Well it's going to be almost impossible now, but you should try to listen to the album without any preconcieved notions and also a lawn chair that is about 18" deep under water in a rocky river bed somewhere in the middle of nowhere on 95 degree summer day.  That worked for me anyway.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

QuoteAfter reading this entire thread, I have no idea what to think. Seems that from MMJ fans, its about a 50/50 love or hate split on these guys.

Well it's going to be almost impossible now, but you should try to listen to the album without any preconcieved notions and also a lawn chair that is about 18" deep under water in a rocky river bed somewhere in the middle of nowhere on 95 degree summer day.  That worked for me anyway.

Interesting because based on the limited amount Ive heard, I thought someone else's post calling them the "winter beach boys" was on point.

Ill have to wait a couple months for some warm weather to do that, but maybe Ill give that a try. It's gonna be hard for me to buy an album that Im not so sure Ill like though.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons