FLEET FOXES... excellent... but...

Started by buaawwww, Feb 26, 2009, 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

QuoteAfter reading this entire thread, I have no idea what to think. Seems that from MMJ fans, its about a 50/50 love or hate split on these guys.

I checked on the 30 sec clips of the album and EP awhile ago, and the guy sounds like Jim, but that was the only similarity I heard. That said, nothing I heard really made me what to delve deeper with this band.

Since there's so many here who dont like them, I feel like Im probably in that group, although after reading through all of this, Im slighty intrigued to hear more.

Well it's going to be almost impossible now, but you should try to listen to the album without any preconcieved notions and also a lawn chair that is about 18" deep under water in a rocky river bed somewhere in the middle of nowhere on 95 degree summer day.  That worked for me anyway.

Interesting because based on the limited amount Ive heard, I thought someone else's post calling them the "winter beach boys" was on point.

Ill have to wait a couple months for some warm weather to do that, but maybe Ill give that a try. It's gonna be hard for me to buy an album that Im not so sure Ill like though.

it's seriously like a $10 album, or you could buy the sun giant EP, which is actually probably a more concise first impression anyway, for only $7.

I found them around march this year and their album hit perfectly in time for summer for me. it really is a perfect summer album, as all the harmony and instrumentation just drips of the beauty these guys create. it really is just huge, joyous music, and i love every bit of it for how much these guys have put into it.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Bumbeli

So, I officially love Fleet Foxes, and I'd like to know if there are any live recordings to purchase or download for free? My local record store doesn't even have the Sun Giant EP, so I don't think they can help me out, and iTunes doesn't offer anything either.
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

ManNamedTruth

QuoteSo, I officially love Fleet Foxes, and I'd like to know if there are any live recordings to purchase or download for free? My local record store doesn't even have the Sun Giant EP, so I don't think they can help me out, and iTunes doesn't offer anything either.

itunes has an npr podcast and you can listen to tons of shows for free, they have a fleet foxes show. just go to the itunes store (you don't have to purchase anything) and look at the top podcasts and search for npr all songs considered.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

BH

QuoteSo, I officially love Fleet Foxes, and I'd like to know if there are any live recordings to purchase or download for free? My local record store doesn't even have the Sun Giant EP, so I don't think they can help me out, and iTunes doesn't offer anything either.

Download this show immediately....

http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2009/03/fleet-foxes-metro-sydney-australia-2009.html
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Vadie Stark

Quotefleet foxes=boring

why don't you dis on a band we all love somewhere else??d

:P

A dis is when someone posts garbage cans, saying it's boring is kind.
I don't get this record.I listened to the song Bumbeli likes Your Protector I liked about 40 secs in middle of song. Must be me
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Paulie Walnuts

I always try to listen to music without any preconcieved ideas about whether I'll like it or not. I decided to get the Fleet Foxes album because I'd heard words like "Crosby, Stills & Nash", "West Coast harmonies" etc. etc. It sounded right up my street.

But it really doesn't do much for me at all. I gave it a couple of spins at home and then left it for a while. I decided to give it another go on a long car journey and it still doesn't light my fire.

Sure the harmonies are okay.....but its got no meat to it. The best adjective I can come up with is lightweight. Seems to me its part of this trendy, skinny jeans and stupid hair indie movement that is "in" at the moment. I know I sound like an old man......but it never ceases to amaze me at the crap people will listen to if they are told its trendy. I'm not saying FF is crap, just that its part of that whole scene that is of the moment. I wonder how long they'll be around.

Unlike MMJ it's got no balls!
"A problem shared......is a problem two people have got."

Vadie Stark

QuoteI always try to listen to music without any preconcieved ideas about whether I'll like it or not. I decided to get the Fleet Foxes album because I'd heard words like "Crosby, Stills & Nash", "West Coast harmonies" etc. etc. It sounded right up my street.

But it really doesn't do much for me at all. I gave it a couple of spins at home and then left it for a while. I decided to give it another go on a long car journey and it still doesn't light my fire.

Sure the harmonies are okay.....but its got no meat to it. The best adjective I can come up with is lightweight. Seems to me its part of this trendy, skinny jeans and stupid hair indie movement that is "in" at the moment. I know I sound like an old man......but it never ceases to amaze me at the crap people will listen to if they are told its trendy. I'm not saying FF is crap, just that its part of that whole scene that is of the moment. I wonder how long they'll be around.

Well said.I couldn't give two shits about FF. The onlyest reason I even got it is my wife wanted to check them out. I know a lot of people dig them and I thought maybe I was missing out on good tunes,which is true in the sense that I don't listen to a lot of the new bands out there.
And I know there are a lot of good ones. More often than not when I buy new music it's not new at all it's old. So much good old stuff out there it seems there's no room in my head for new bands. There are a ton of bands I see or have seen where I have none of their music nor do I feel I need to. People always ask what is my favorite band or show.I always say favorites are limiting and my favorite show would be the one that I'm at that moment ;)

Janet

QuoteI always try to listen to music without any preconcieved ideas about whether I'll like it or not. I decided to get the Fleet Foxes album because I'd heard words like "Crosby, Stills & Nash", "West Coast harmonies" etc. etc. It sounded right up my street.

Well said.I couldn't give two shits about FF. The onlyest reason I even got it is my wife wanted to check them out. I know a lot of people dig them and I thought maybe I was missing out on good tunes,which is true in the sense that I don't listen to a lot of the new bands out there.
And I know there are a lot of good ones. More often than not when I buy new music it's not new at all it's old. So much good old stuff out there it seems there's no room in my head for new bands. There are a ton of bands I see or have seen where I have none of their music nor do I feel I need to. People always ask what is my favorite band or show.I always say favorites are limiting and my favorite show would be the one that I'm at that moment ;)

Sometimes I wake up grumpy.....

Sometimes I let him sleep. :)

Vadie Stark

Sometimes I wake up grumpy.....

Sometimes I let him sleep. :)

Hey! I heard that!! I'm only in the other room.
Since I got your attention. Do I have to do anything today? Cuz if I do it will have to be a joint effort. Hey.. what's that over there... hey... ....fuck.. shit. Honey we got roaches....Help!

pawpaw

Well, I like Fleet Foxes. I haven't heard that EP that folks talk about, but their album is wonderful. It's not a rocker...it doesn't swing like the Stones, or roar like Sabbath, but that's not what I want from it, not what it has to offer. And I wouldn't call it "lightweight", just like I wouldn't call Van Morrison's Veedon Fleece lightweight. Both those albums are complex, contemplative...both those albums dwell someplace green, and outside. Fleet Foxes is dramatic stuff, cinematic even...I could see them scoring movies. Their music is imaginative, and diverse, and (for me anyway) highly effective at carrying me away.

They're rad. I wonder if they can pull it off live, but the recorded stuff sounds great.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

They're rad. I wonder if they can pull it off live, but the recorded stuff sounds great.

Oh, they can.  Download this show immediately....

http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2009/03/fleet-foxes-metro-sydney-australia-2009.html
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

;D You're pushin' this one hard! I'll check it out... :)

You ever seen 'em BH?
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

I don't see how anyone couldn't love their performances on SNL.  Look what it did to this guy:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7rXo1nLgp4[/media]

BH

;D You're pushin' this one hard! I'll check it out... :)

You ever seen 'em BH?

;D  No, the only time they have been to St. Louis, that I know of, was when they opened for Death Cab and I didn't want to spend the 50 bucks.

Vadie Stark

QuoteWell, I like Fleet Foxes. I haven't heard that EP that folks talk about, but their album is wonderful. It's not a rocker...it doesn't swing like the Stones, or roar like Sabbath, but that's not what I want from it, not what it has to offer. And I wouldn't call it "lightweight", just like I wouldn't call Van Morrison's Veedon Fleece lightweight. Both those albums are complex, contemplative...both those albums dwell someplace green, and outside. Fleet Foxes is dramatic stuff, cinematic even...I could see them scoring movies. Their music is imaginative, and diverse, and (for me anyway) highly effective at carrying me away.

I can see them scoring some green  ::)
I hated the Doobie Bros  >:( Until I saw them live In SF (1975) yes..old I know... point is, after that I needed Doobies, needed them bad, had to have Doobies everyday. So I hope I never see FF live imagine what could happen ;)

ALady

QuoteI don't see how anyone couldn't love their performances on SNL.  Look what it did to this guy:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7rXo1nLgp4[/media]

Okay, that's hilarious.   ;D ;D ;D

Love the Foxes!  
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Bumbeli

Downloading now, you got my expectations up pretty high, so I hope it's a spectacular show :)

BH

Downloading now, you got my expectations up pretty high, so I hope it's a spectacular show :)

Let me know what you think!

Bumbeli

Let me know what you think!

It is awesome, very good quality, all the great songs an they are in a good mood. In the end of Crayon Angels/Oliver James when he talks about the guys shout ntb, when he says "jerks", I had to laugh so much

dragonboy

Not liking Fleet Foxes is just plain silly.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.