FLEET FOXES... excellent... but...

Started by buaawwww, Feb 26, 2009, 02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thestranger

I think he sounds very much the same as Jim. Even uses the same vocal effect that was used on earlier mmj albums. They are cool but derivative.  

sookie

QuoteWhen I first heard them, I thought his voice sounded likes Jim's, but now after falling in love with Fleet Foxes, I don't think they sound at all alike.

Same here!!

I loveloveLOVE Fleet Foxes!!!  I just discovered them a few weeks ago. I bought the album and sat down and listened to it beginning to end three or four times in a row.  I can't remember the last time I've done that.  It usually takes me several times to really love an album, but this was love at first listen!

MMJ however took me a pretty long time to appreciate, especially considering I'm a Louisvillian! ;)  Not to say they're any less brilliant..it just sometimes works out that way.
I was following the pack all swallowed in their coats with scarves of red tied round their throats..

Leontheslut

I liked the description the winter beach boys.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Leontheslut

Oh but yeah, they sounds a lot like MMJ.

If you're going to rip someone off, you might as well rip off someone awesome.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Janet

I really, really wanted to like them.  I gave 'em a try & they didn't immediately grab me - which is fine because most new music doesn't do it for me the first time.  I have the CD a few more listens.  Nothing.  I tried again this morning, thinking that maybe, they would fall into the Sunday morning music category (mellow stuff like Taj Mahal, old Elton John, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid soundtrack) but - still no...

lasvegas

is this a band of horses thread?

bc it should be.

imitatorssssssssss
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

tomEisenbraun

Quoteis this a band of horses thread?

bc it should be.

imitatorssssssssss

Not. Hardly.

And LucyLew, you picked up the s/t, right? Have you given Sun Giant a listen yet? Because that's what I had first. Listen hard to the words on "Oliver James" if you will, as well, as when I finally figured out what that song was about, it about killed me.

I really do just love this band, and I realize they aren't the most original concept out there, but having seen them 3 times already (once driving from Athens to SC to do so), I will definitely attest for their being incredible people both on and off the stage. These guys have the right heads about what they're doing, and it comes through with a genuine joy in the live show and the recording.

Let me know how you weren't grabbed by it, or what you were hoping for out of these guys, and I'll do my best to help fix that!
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

lasvegas

i was saying that BOH are the imitators.

i don't see very much in common between fleet foxes and MMJ, maybe nothing.

and i like fleet foxes.

sorry for the confusion d00d.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Ghostess on TV

I think Fleet Foxes sound more similar to MMJ than Band of Horses.

the sun and moon

I think NOBODY sounds like MMJ. When I first heard their music I thought what IS this?! and where can I find more like it! I found that could not find anything even remotely similar to MMJ.

Vadie Stark

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

ManNamedTruth

Quote[highlight][/highlight]

dude, wtf? how is this relevant to the topic.

EDIT:
You already changed the pic, but still a picture of garbage.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Vadie Stark

this pic is better ------2 cans :)
I thought it was about fleet foxes
didn't care for it wish I had my $10 back
what's the prob?

tomEisenbraun

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Vadie Stark

Maybe my review/critique/slam was a little harsh. I just expected a little more rock or hippie jam,to me it was too hymnal gospel space, building to something I waited for and did not get.I understand why people like it.
Some tracks had parts I liked but not that big of dose.I will leave it in rotation see how I like it in shuffle play.
So I'll rerate it reverse flying V and try to recycle it.
Thanks for your understanding,kind words, and pictures.
[highlight][/highlight]

ManNamedTruth

QuoteMaybe my review/critique/slam was a little harsh. I just expected a little more rock or hippie jam,to me it was too hymnal gospel space, building to something I waited for and did not get.I understand why people like it.
Some tracks had parts I liked but not that big of dose.I will leave it in rotation see how I like it in shuffle play.
So I'll rerate it reverse flying V and try to recycle it.
Thanks for your understanding,kind words, and pictures.
[highlight][/highlight]

At least you explained why you didn't like it, its better than posting a pic of garbage.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Janet

Quoteis this a band of horses thread?

bc it should be.

imitatorssssssssss

Not. Hardly.

And LucyLew, you picked up the s/t, right? Have you given Sun Giant a listen yet? Because that's what I had first. Listen hard to the words on "Oliver James" if you will, as well, as when I finally figured out what that song was about, it about killed me.

I really do just love this band, and I realize they aren't the most original concept out there, but having seen them 3 times already (once driving from Athens to SC to do so), I will definitely attest for their being incredible people both on and off the stage. These guys have the right heads about what they're doing, and it comes through with a genuine joy in the live show and the recording.

Let me know how you weren't grabbed by it, or what you were hoping for out of these guys, and I'll do my best to help fix that!

Ah, Tom, you're too cute!  I love your enthusiasm.

It wasn't that I hated them or anything.  They just didn't stand out.  If they were a color - they'd be beige.  

But you have peaked my curiousity.  Methinks I might have to check out at least the song "Oliver James".  I'll letcha' know!

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Crispy

Great find, BH - the sound is outstanding. I need to check out the steam engine way more often than I do.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"