The NFL Thread: 2011

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 29, 2011, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 05, 2011, 08:59 AM
As if I need any more reason to despise Brett Favre and or love Aaron Rodgers.  I wonder how Favre's old teammates feel about them not being talented.  Oh yeah, Rodgers had so much talent around him.  Greg Jennings and clowns last year and a bumbling offensive line with no running game.  It seems Favre forgot that he had the Minister of Defense on his side as well.  I hope Rodgers wins multiple rings so Favre can quickly fade into irrelevance

Yeah, his comments have jealousy written all over it without a doubt.

Rodgers does have talent all around him (glad you can point out Jennings in name  ;)) you cant argue that, but so did Favre. I was only 11 or 12 when Favre won the SB, but I still can recall him having Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens at RB (average, granted), but also having Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, and Robert Brooks. That was probably the best trio before ESPN or even the casual fan thought about best WR trios in the Harrison, Wayne, Stokley vein.

I cant remember defensive players for that team besides White, but that said, I certainly remember Reggie White being on that D. Not to mention, Desmond Howard was the KR/PR for that team, and Im pretty sure he won the MVP for that game.

Favre making statements like this not only sounds like jealousy, but he's wayyy early, because Id be amazed if Rodgers doesnt win at least 1 more championship in his career. And if not that, Favre only made it to 1 SB. I think Rodgers gets to at least 3 SBs with that stacked team.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 06, 2011, 01:37 AM
As if I need any more reason to despise Brett Favre and or love Aaron Rodgers.  I wonder how Favre's old teammates feel about them not being talented.  Oh yeah, Rodgers had so much talent around him.  Greg Jennings and clowns last year and a bumbling offensive line with no running game.  It seems Favre forgot that he had the Minister of Defense on his side as well.  I hope Rodgers wins multiple rings so Favre can quickly fade into irrelevance

Rodgers does have talent all around him (glad you can point out Jennings in name  ;)) you cant argue that, but so did Favre. I was only 11 or 12 when Favre won the SB, but I still can recall him having Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens at RB (average, granted), but also having Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, and Robert Brooks. That was probably the best trio before ESPN or even the casual fan thought about best WR trios in the Harrison, Wayne, Stokley vein.

I cant remember defensive players for that team besides White, but that said, I certainly remember Reggie White being on that D. Not to mention, Desmond Howard was the KR/PR for that team, and Im pretty sure he won the MVP for that game.

Favre making statements like this not only sounds like jealousy, but he's wayyy early, because Id be amazed if Rodgers doesnt win at least 1 more championship in his career. And if not that, Favre only made it to 1 SB. I think Rodgers gets to at least 3 SBs with that stacked team.

Favre played in 2 Super Bowls, they lost to Denver the year after they won.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 06, 2011, 03:10 AM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 06, 2011, 01:37 AM

Favre played in 2 Super Bowls, they lost to Denver the year after they won.

You are correct sir, forgot about that. And that year, I think the better team won (well of course they did, they won the next year too).

Favre's longevity may have something to do with it and favor him, but I think at the end of the road, Rodgers goes down as the better QB overall. Then again, right now feels like the time of the QB so maybe that hurts QBs of this generation.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

pawpaw

R.I.P. Mr. Davis. The NFL has lost one of its all-time greats.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

capt. scotty

I bet the Raiders finally get back to the playoffs this year now that he died. A great and terrible owner at the same time. I dont think I'll be able to watch any pregame, halftime, or postgame shows the next few days because this will be all that they talk about.

I think he kicked the bucket because I traded Denarius Moore. There goes another trade of mine down the drain!

pawpaw

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 08, 2011, 01:57 PM
I dont think I'll be able to watch any pregame, halftime, or postgame shows the next few days because this will be all that they talk about.

I'm looking forward to them for the exact same reason. He was an amazing man. The game passed him by this last decade, but I'm glad that he was able to go out running the team. I'm also very excited to move forward with the players and personnel we've got.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_19071399%22
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

ericm

Damn G-Men!

Here I was thinking maybe I could have a nice relaxing, 1 or 2 beer, enjoyable Sunday afternoon, and these guys are driving me to drink!!!  ;)

A three beer first quarter is not what I was hoping for.  :o
"Where's Jim going?"

ericm

Need fire-water!  >:(

Sunday to forget
G-Men ruin my nice weekend
Monday looking rough

"Where's Jim going?"

capt. scotty

Considering the Steelers didnt really have a quality win going into yesterday (Jax maybe? theyve played good the last few weeks), I wasnt sure what to expect playing NE. The Patsies D is garbage, so I knew we would be able to score on them, but the biggest question was could we outscore them. In the end, the offense looked better than maybe I even expected (besides the INT, they werent stopped until the final drive), but the D is what really impressed me. Lebeau finally has the DBs playing man press coverage after years of having them 10yds off the line of scrimmage and NE just dinks and dunks us to death. Wasnt the case yesterday with the change in philosophy. Plus we were missing 3 LBs to start the game, lost Woodley in the 3rd, yet still were able to get pressure on Brady and stop their O. Now I dont know why it took this long for them to finally realize/change their coverage as myself and other fans have been saying this for years, but it was awesome to finally see. With how bad their D is right now, this is the least scared Ive been of playing the Patsies in about a decade should we see them in the playoffs.

Considering the Saints lost to the Rams, Cowboys got blownout by Philly, Cards almost beat the Ravens, and Miami almost beats the GMen, Im feeling pretty good right now. Cant wait for payback against the Ratbirds next sunday night :bath:

Tracy 2112

Quote from: capt. scotty on Oct 31, 2011, 02:07 PM
Considering the Saints lost to the Rams, Cowboys got blownout by Philly, Cards almost beat the Ravens, and Miami almost beats the GMen, Im feeling pretty right now.  :bath:

Glad the Saints lost?  ;D

I guess we have arrived if Steelers fans are rooting against us, although all the Steelers fans I know like the Saints.

awesome, that sort of makes my day  :)

you know, we're pretty close to being the new America's Team, so bring on the hate!

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Taterbug

The Tebow experiment in Denver is OVER ,  I think  ;)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

ophidiophobia

Quote from: Taterbug on Oct 31, 2011, 02:42 PM

He is terrible. The only thing that keeps him around is that he is a fan favorite. Just goes to show that all the heart and determination can't make him an NFL-level QB.

ManNamedTruth

Considering the Steelers didnt really have a quality win going into yesterday (Jax maybe? theyve played good the last few weeks), I wasnt sure what to expect playing NE. The Patsies D is garbage, so I knew we would be able to score on them, but the biggest question was could we outscore them. In the end, the offense looked better than maybe I even expected (besides the INT, they werent stopped until the final drive), but the D is what really impressed me. Lebeau finally has the DBs playing man press coverage after years of having them 10yds off the line of scrimmage and NE just dinks and dunks us to death. Wasnt the case yesterday with the change in philosophy. Plus we were missing 3 LBs to start the game, lost Woodley in the 3rd, yet still were able to get pressure on Brady and stop their O. Now I dont know why it took this long for them to finally realize/change their coverage as myself and other fans have been saying this for years, but it was awesome to finally see. With how bad their D is right now, this is the least scared Ive been of playing the Patsies in about a decade should we see them in the playoffs.

Considering the Saints lost to the Rams, Cowboys got blownout by Philly, Cards almost beat the Ravens, and Miami almost beats the GMen, Im feeling pretty good right now. Cant wait for payback against the Ratbirds next sunday night :bath:

Great game yesterday! Pats really screwed up by not challenging that Gronkowki catch at the endzone line. I thought it was more obviously a TD than that Santonio Holmes catch a few years ago against Baltimore. It would've been nice to se us come away with more TD's over field goals, we should've blown them out. Too bad Cards couldn't hang on to beat Baltimore.
For the record, I like the Saints. It's hard to root against that city.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ericm

Quote from: Taterbug on Oct 31, 2011, 02:42 PM

Maybe so, but to mock his religious beliefs like this is pretty low, and wrong,imo.

The Lions are getting tough to like. Has there been a team in recent memory to go so fast from being a team that most NFL fans were pulling for since they've been bad for so long, to being seen as a dirty,cocky, hated team?

This team hasn't done anything yet. I hope someone takes them down a peg ot two.
"Where's Jim going?"

Ruckus

C'mon Eric.  I don't think he was mocking his religious beliefs but merely his "celebration." Shoot, I know I Tebowed a bunch of times last night with friends.  If you have a go to pose on the field, you're free game.  I kinda think that copying another person's move as shit talk is a little played out though I am guilty of it in front of the TV all the time.  I think I Tebowed last night after telling a bad joke, we took to one knee before shots... ::)  I was trying to figure out how hard work and 'heart' could create a 42pt TD

I've wanted to like Suh because he is so incredible but I find his dirtiness to be too offputting
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Taterbug

I guess T-boning has became bigger than Planking ( whatever the hell that is ).  It's all the rage with the kids.  At least thats what my daughter says. 
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

capt. scotty

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Oct 31, 2011, 02:15 PM
Considering the Saints lost to the Rams, Cowboys got blownout by Philly, Cards almost beat the Ravens, and Miami almost beats the GMen, Im feeling pretty right now.  :bath:

Glad the Saints lost?  ;D

I guess we have arrived if Steelers fans are rooting against us, although all the Steelers fans I know like the Saints.

awesome, that sort of makes my day  :)

Where did I say Im glad they lost? I dont think I brought it up when they lost to GB, because well, GB is actually good. I think its funny youre so full of yourself that anytime I mention the Saints you take it as insult or that Im trying to dog the Saints. I brought up 5 teams that are supposed to make the playoffs in that same sentence, not just your team. So I guess youre fine with gettiing blownout by arguably the worst team in the NFL?

What I actually was was saying by that sentence, is that it feels good to beat a team thats considered Top 5 in the NFL at this point in the season (and the only team to consistently beat the Steelers during the Roethlisberger era) while at the same time the Saints lose to a winless team, the Cowboys get owned by a division rival, and the Ravens and Giants needed to make 4th quarter comebacks vs teams that are a combined 1-13. The Steelers, despite multiple injuries, appear to be improving every week whereas many of the other top teams in the NFL are struggling or declining, and why I suspect the Steelers will be #2 in most power rankings this week.

ericm

Quote from: Ruckus on Oct 31, 2011, 05:05 PM
C'mon Eric.  I don't think he was mocking his religious beliefs but merely his "celebration." Shoot, I know I Tebowed a bunch of times last night with friends.  If you have a go to pose on the field, you're free game.  I kinda think that copying another person's move as shit talk is a little played out though I am guilty of it in front of the TV all the time.  I think I Tebowed last night after telling a bad joke, we took to one knee before shots... ::)  I was trying to figure out how hard work and 'heart' could create a 42pt TD

I've wanted to like Suh because he is so incredible but I find his dirtiness to be too offputting

Maybe so Rob, but it just came off like a mocking to me. Since this is Tebow's way of giving thanks to his God, it struck me as mocking his beliefs, and not mocking the act of "Tebowing" itself.

I'm probably reading too much into it, as it is hard to believe one player would mock another's beliefs, but nothing really surprises me these days.
"Where's Jim going?"

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Oct 31, 2011, 04:11 PM

Great game yesterday! Pats really screwed up by not challenging that Gronkowki catch at the endzone line. It would've been nice to se us come away with more TD's over field goals, we should've blown them out. Too bad Cards couldn't hang on to beat Baltimore.

Yeah, terrible call to not challenge the Gronk TD. It was clearly a TD, but even if it doesnt get overturned, at least NE stops the clock there. By not challenging, they lost at least 90 seconds of clock, and that really couldve changed the outcome of the game in all honesty. We certainly beat/outplayed them more than the score dictated.

I thought the Ravens were toast once they were down 24-3...Oh well, I think we will beat them this week and that matters more. Flacco is never getting that team to a super bowl, he looks downright terrible at times. I wouldnt have blamed them if they brought Tyrod Taylor in for him.