My Circuital Review

Started by MyJacket18, May 04, 2011, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkW

Quote from: adl6690 on May 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
From a new user who didn't join the forum for the purpose of bashing the new record

Good to have you here.  Makes a change...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

wolof7

Quote from: adl6690 on May 12, 2011, 01:52 PM

Hmmmm.. this kind of post seems vaguely familiar in this thread.

From a new user who didn't join the forum for the purpose of bashing the new record, this record is definitely growing on me. I'm still not sure what I think, but I am really enjoying these new songs and find myself wanting to listen to them everyday. That is a good sign. It doesn't matter how the record compares to the others, I'm just happy to have a new batch of songs from the band I love, and a band that has lots more in store for the future.

Best first post I've seen round these parts in a while...welcome!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

halesdd

As my first official post (although I believe I have signed up at one point and have no clue what happened to my account).  I have been a huge fan since 2004 (seen them more times then I can even count) but am just now getting on board with keeping up with the forum. 

Anyways, I am in love with the Circuital album.  It is simply a beautiful rollercoaster of great music that takes you on a wild ride.  There is only one little thing I would change and that is You Wanna Freak Out.  The song brings in a great vibe that leaves you wanting more after 1:47 of music.  Hopefully the preordered full album will feature a full out jam on that song (although I have a feeling it won't).

Too all those that are hating on the new album, you are more then entitled to your opinion but my advise is to give it time.  I remember when they first released the song Evil Urges before the CD came out I couldn't hardly listen to the whole thing with out wanting to shut the song off.  Then as time went on, as the full CD was released, and I heard it live, it really grew on me.  My Morning Jacket perhaps is one of the most innovative bands because with each release they show just how it is they can evolve into something totally unexpected and is one of the reasons I have come to love them so much.  Even though ISM, Z, and AD are simply amazing albums (along with TF and EU), I would hate for the band to be continously playing the same ole sound on each subsequent album.  Each album bring something different and Circuital is a CD that I am slightly addicted to for the time being.

Well, just wanted to make my first official post known and am excited to be involved in a crowd of true fans invested in a band that will continue to shape our existance.  Can't wait to see them play live at the Louisville Palace on May 31st and (God willing if I can get tickets and ticketbastard doesn't $%&# me over) see them in Atlanta on August 20th.
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: halesdd on May 12, 2011, 04:37 PM
As my first official post (although I believe I have signed up at one point and have no clue what happened to my account).  I have been a huge fan since 2004 (seen them more times then I can even count) but am just now getting on board with keeping up with the forum. 

Anyways, I am in love with the Circuital album.  It is simply a beautiful rollercoaster of great music that takes you on a wild ride.  There is only one little thing I would change and that is You Wanna Freak Out.  The song brings in a great vibe that leaves you wanting more after 1:47 of music.  Hopefully the preordered full album will feature a full out jam on that song (although I have a feeling it won't).

Too all those that are hating on the new album, you are more then entitled to your opinion but my advise is to give it time.  I remember when they first released the song Evil Urges before the CD came out I couldn't hardly listen to the whole thing with out wanting to shut the song off.  Then as time went on, as the full CD was released, and I heard it live, it really grew on me.  My Morning Jacket perhaps is one of the most innovative bands because with each release they show just how it is they can evolve into something totally unexpected and is one of the reasons I have come to love them so much.  Even though ISM, Z, and AD are simply amazing albums (along with TF and EU), I would hate for the band to be continously playing the same ole sound on each subsequent album.  Each album bring something different and Circuital is a CD that I am slightly addicted to for the time being.

Well, just wanted to make my first official post known and am excited to be involved in a crowd of true fans invested in a band that will continue to shape our existance.  Can't wait to see them play live at the Louisville Palace on May 31st and (God willing if I can get tickets and ticketbastard doesn't $%&# me over) see them in Atlanta on August 20th.

There's a perfectly good reason why you wanna freak out leaves you wanting more.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

halesdd

Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on May 12, 2011, 04:59 PM

There's a perfectly good reason why you wanna freak out leaves you wanting more.

Agreed!  And you know MMJ will bring it live and jam off of it anyways.  Im just being greedy and want to listen to it on CD as a full on jam.  Love what little of the song they do provide regardless if that's all we get.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: halesdd on May 12, 2011, 05:04 PM
Quote from: Ghosts_on_T5 on May 12, 2011, 04:59 PM

Agreed!  And you know MMJ will bring it live and jam off of it anyways.  Im just being greedy and want to listen to it on CD as a full on jam.  Love what little of the song they do provide regardless if that's all we get.

I was being sarcastic. Sorry. You do realize the leaked version is cut off and not the whole song right?

halesdd

I had heard that but didnt know that was confirmed.  I am extremely happy about that!!!  I figured it didn't make a whole lot of sense to have it just abruptly cut off at 1:47.  Are there any other suspected changes to the album that the leaked version is missing?  Any rumors that Friends Again will be featured on the CD?

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: halesdd on May 12, 2011, 05:26 PM
I had heard that but didnt know that was confirmed.  I am extremely happy about that!!!  I figured it didn't make a whole lot of sense to have it just abruptly cut off at 1:47.  Are there any other suspected changes to the album that the leaked version is missing?  Any rumors that Friends Again will be featured on the CD?

Yeah the whole song is about 4 minutes and change. Friends again is not on the album.

sweatboard

Ha, that remindes me of the time I downloaded the new Radiohead CD and it was actually some shitty band from the Chezk Republic doing Brian Eno covers....I was like SHIT!!!!!!! This is the best thing Radiohead has ever put out!!!!!!!
There's Still Time.........

DaFunkyPrecedent

Quote from: steve_h on May 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
Please, I keep giving this collection of averageness a chance but really I can only listen to Victory Dance, Circuital and Wonderful. The rest is just far below what we would expect from MMJ.
What the hell has gone wrong here? I was so looking forward to this album.
By far the worst album to date and sadly I rank this behind Evil Urges by far.

It sounds like the Followill boys have infiltrated the MMJ forums.
God damn those shaky knees.

DaFunkyPrecedent

I heard the Cold War Kids are playin in your home town tonight. You should go.

halesdd

Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on May 13, 2011, 01:22 PM

Really?  I dont see it listed they are playing in Bowling Green.  I'd be down to see that for sure.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Quote from: halesdd on May 13, 2011, 01:48 PM
Quote from: DaFunkyPrecedent on May 13, 2011, 01:22 PM

Really?  I dont see it listed they are playing in Bowling Green.  I'd be down to see that for sure.

...they must have canceled.  Dude, awesome news though - Cold War Kids are covering "Friends Again" on this tour. check it out man!

maddon

MMJ veteran here.  Been on the bandwagon since TTF days.

I have to be honest, my first impressions of the new album, was that of disappointment.  Some classic MMJ tracks but a few undercooked for me.  In saying that, the album is MOST certainly growing on me, slowly, I am coming around.  But the fact that I have to come around and feel the need to skip songs is upsetting.

At the end of the day, I believe that myself (and a few other contributors to this thread) need to get off our high horse.  MMJ are not here to just please us.  They are here to express their artic talents and attitude.  I think they EXCEL.  Since ISM one of the charms of this band is that they are forever evolving, changing it up and NOT becoming stale and stagnant.  This is surely a recipe for dividing opinions.  And if you ask me, that's FANTASTIC.  They are keeping true to their spirit and purpose and I for one am very grateful to have a band like this in my life.

I think the vast opinions and views expressed (and hopefully respected) on this thread, is a true indication of just how far reaching & successful MMJ have become.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

Winterland

I'll keep this short and sweet.

I love the album, Slow Slow Tune will melt faces live.

Ooga

It seems like a lot of the people who do not like Circuital are the "long time MMJ fans".  I wonder what new listeners of MMJ will think.  This album seems like their most accessible yet. 

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ooga on May 14, 2011, 12:03 PM
This album seems like their most accessible yet.

Accessible?

Right now, I can go to Grimey's and get just about any MMJ album, except Circuital. But you seem to think it's their most accessible?  :-\

please explain
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ooga

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 14, 2011, 12:51 PM

Accessible?

Right now, I can go to Grimey's and get just about any MMJ album, except Circuital. But you seem to think it's their most accessible?  :-\

please explain
You know what I mean.  Anyways, I just picked up the new Circuital vinyl from Best Buy yesterday, so maybe you should stop going to Grimey's. :-\

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ooga on May 14, 2011, 01:12 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 14, 2011, 12:51 PM

Accessible?

please explain
You know what I mean.  Anyways, I just picked up the new Circuital vinyl from Best Buy yesterday, so maybe you should stop going to Grimey's. :-\

So, I should support big box, corporate entities (Best Buy) rather than small, locally owned record stores (Grimey's), even if Grimey's supported MMJ as they were blossoming into the force that they are today?

No thanks.

Grimey's Plug by My Morning Jacket

(and you still didn't explain how Circuital is so "accessible" 2 weeks before it's official release date)
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

halesdd

It seems like a lot of the people who do not like Circuital are the "long time MMJ fans".  I wonder what new listeners of MMJ will think.  This album seems like their most accessible yet.

I agree. As someone who has followed them since 04, support the evolution of their sound but as someone said earlier in the thread, there seems to be a slight divid between those who followed there earlier work vs EU and Circuital. I personally love there progression.  Your absolutely correct, great bands have to continually transform their sound and challenge themselves to think out of the conventional box of what defines them as a band. Can't wait for the tour!!!