Futbol Anyone?

Started by purvis9876, Dec 10, 2008, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkoehler

It would be nice to go.

I have never understood the blatent disregard for Soccer/Futbol by the American sprots media. As nutso as we are for sports (in many many cases too nutso) this boogles the mind. Just because 2 roided up freaks are not crashing into each other ala Football, wrasslin, UFC, NHL, etc etc etc., it's not a fun/valid sport? That and Nascar is popular? It's so fucking boring watching cars drive in a circle. Grand Prix is better to watch at least.

I did notice Fox Sports Net has a soccer only channel and it's an option in my area...finally. I wish it was an free option. Honestly I do not need 5 Nickalodian channels and the 3 Lifetime channels I have. Hell I can do without the Speed channel and the almost dozen news channels.

Ruckus

QuoteIt would be nice to go.

I have never understood the blatent disregard for Soccer/Futbol by the American sprots media. As nutso as we are for sports (in many many cases too nutso) this boogles the mind. Just because 2 roided up freaks are not crashing into each other ala Football, wrasslin, UFC, NHL, etc etc etc., it's not a fun/valid sport? That and Nascar is popular? It's so fucking boring watching cars drive in a circle. Grand Prix is better to watch at least.

I did notice Fox Sports Net has a soccer only channel and it's an option in my area...finally. I wish it was an free option. Honestly I do not need 5 Nickalodian channels and the 3 Lifetime channels I have. Hell I can do without the Speed channel and the almost dozen news channels.

Fox Soccer Channel is what I've had for the last 3 years.  It is a very solid channel that shows live Serie A and EPL matches during the season plus replays during the week along with soccer news and various random international competitions.

Unfortunately, I just switched from cable to Directv and I now get MLBtv and NFLnetwork without having to order the sports package so I'm not sure I want to drop the extra cash just for FSN but I miss it.

I'm sure I'll break once the EPL season begins again.

Well put on the media's take on Soccer.  What has been a slowly building cult/fringe sport rooted in suburban America, I think the sport is on the brink of really making it here.  The increasing popularity of the national team, the MLS and greater exposure to foreign leagues via internet and specialized cable channels only builds the unavoidable wave.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

mjkoehler

So freaking happy. Get to watch Man U v Wigan on ESPN 2 this morning. The one announcer is killing me. I seriously cannot understand a fucking word he's saying through his Scottish accent. It's beyond thick.

Ruckus

QuoteSo freaking happy. Get to watch Man U v Wigan on ESPN 2 this morning. The one announcer is killing me. I seriously cannot understand a fucking word he's saying through his Scottish accent. It's beyond thick.

Awesome man!  Man U. for the 1st time in a few years is not one of the favorites and may not even finish in the top 4 this year with Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and even Man City fielding more talented teams.

With Villa possibly having a good team, it's great to see deeper parity at the top of the EPL.

mjkoehler

QuoteSo freaking happy. Get to watch Man U v Wigan on ESPN 2 this morning. The one announcer is killing me. I seriously cannot understand a fucking word he's saying through his Scottish accent. It's beyond thick.

Awesome man!  Man U. for the 1st time in a few years is not one of the favorites and may not even finish in the top 4 this year with Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and even Man City fielding more talented teams.

With Villa possibly having a good team, it's great to see deeper parity at the top of the EPL.
I hate Man U. They're too much the f'n Yankee's. At least the first half was good. I wish I could see more matches. I'll have to keep an eye out if they are going to do more Saturday morning matches. It was nice to sit with my boy and watch.

mjkoehler

Chelsea v. Burnley tomorrow morning on ESPN 2. A friend of mine, who is also becoming a Footy, and I are thinking of joining the local Day Pinters group. Nothing like a Guinness on a Sunday morning with your eggs and bacon while watching.

Ruckus

QuoteChelsea v. Burnley tomorrow morning on ESPN 2. A friend of mine, who is also becoming a Footy, and I are thinking of joining the local Day Pinters group. Nothing like a Guinness on a Sunday morning with your eggs and bacon while watching.

That would be cool if you joined.  I'm familiar with the local club at the Irish pub here and it is one passionate, tight nit community.

What could be better than drinking Guinness, eating blood sausage and watching 'footy' in the heart of America :)

It's so great now that ESPN is carrying EPL games.  Now we get at least 4 or 5 live games a week.  I love it!

It hurts because I'm an Everton fan and they are off to a horrible start.  

mjkoehler

QuoteChelsea v. Burnley tomorrow morning on ESPN 2. A friend of mine, who is also becoming a Footy, and I are thinking of joining the local Day Pinters group. Nothing like a Guinness on a Sunday morning with your eggs and bacon while watching.

That would be cool if you joined.  I'm familiar with the local club at the Irish pub here and it is one passionate, tight nit community.

What could be better than drinking Guinness, eating blood sausage and watching 'footy' in the heart of America :)

It's so great now that ESPN is carrying EPL games.  Now we get at least 4 or 5 live games a week.  I love it!

It hurts because I'm an Everton fan and they are off to a horrible start.  
I wish we got more here. Just the one weekend Match of The Week and some stuff during the week when I cannot see them. This week I believe the club is hitting the local Welsh place. I'm really tempted to make it as they have great rarebit. Cheese, toast, fatty meat, mothers milk...I mean Guinness. It really is good.

mjkoehler

Hey Ruckus, you see the Chelsea/Burnley match this AM? GOod match until about the 45 minute mark then either Chelsea woke up or Burnley laid down and died.

Ruckus

QuoteHey Ruckus, you see the Chelsea/Burnley match this AM? GOod match until about the 45 minute mark then either Chelsea woke up or Burnley laid down and died.

After a rough night of whiskey and having to work at 10am today, I managed to catch most of the 2nd half where Chelsea turned it on.  I give Burnley credit.  They have played well overall as a newly promoted club who already has a win over Man U. under its belt.  That said, Chelsea early on look to be the strongest and deepest club.  I guess they just turned it on the in 2nd.

mjkoehler

QuoteHey Ruckus, you see the Chelsea/Burnley match this AM? GOod match until about the 45 minute mark then either Chelsea woke up or Burnley laid down and died.

After a rough night of whiskey and having to work at 10am today, I managed to catch most of the 2nd half where Chelsea turned it on.  I give Burnley credit.  They have played well overall as a newly promoted club who already has a win over Man U. under its belt.  That said, Chelsea early on look to be the strongest and deepest club.  I guess they just turned it on the in 2nd.
Yeah, after Chelsea's first goal, Burnley deflated. With that said, I was very impressed with Burnley's keeper Jenson. The goals Chelsea got were not easy ones.

Ruckus

The Man U./Man City derby was one for the ages.  I only got to see the 1st half but am about to watch the second.  Thank god I recorded it.

Of course the wrong team won but wow!  I'm hoping the recorded footage has the Man City player punching the Man U. fan.

mjkoehler

QuoteThe Man U./Man City derby was one for the ages.  I only got to see the 1st half but am about to watch the second.  Thank god I recorded it.

Of course the wrong team won but wow!  I'm hoping the recorded footage has the Man City player punching the Man U. fan.
Dammit! They only showed Sunderland v Burnley here in St Louis unless I somehow missed something. Crap

Ruckus

QuoteThe Man U./Man City derby was one for the ages.  I only got to see the 1st half but am about to watch the second.  Thank god I recorded it.

Dammit! They only showed Sunderland v Burnley here in St Louis unless I somehow missed something. Crap

Nahh,  they only showed in Setanta Sports which I only got for free for a week as a Directv promo.

It was incredible and though Man U outplayed Man City in the 2nd half, I feel as if the ref screwed Man City by letting them play into the 96th minute of injury time, allowing Michael Owen to net the winner.

This is the 3rd time I'm seen Man U. get extended injury time and pull off a winner.  It makes me sick. >:(

Ruckus

Didier Drogba again showed why he is one of the best strikers in the world.  For all his unbearable diving and playacting (I hate it), those were 2 beautiful assists against the Reds.  Chelsea look like the early team to beat this season.

Planet Caravan

Been a diehard Man United fan since I was eleven,and judging from the time I spend playing Football Manager each day,I guess I'm kind of obsessed with it. :D

As an addition,I must say I was pretty disappointed after seeing Arsenal win this week. :P Poor Birmingham..

Ruckus

I don't know if anyone saw the game but I was lucky enough to attend the U.S./Costa Rica WC qualification match.  With the emotions running high after the terrible Charlie Davies accident, that 2nd half comeback was amazing and to be part of that energy at RFK was AWESOME!

Not often one gets to see a 95th minute equalizer to prevent another team from qualifying

mjkoehler

Not happy i missed Liverpool over Man U. I hate that we get 1 match a week and it's at some ungodly hour in the morning on Saturday's. Come on ESPN, do we really need 5+ hours of NCCA pre game coverage? Since I'm no longer having to get up at 4:30, I'm missing matches.  :(

Ruckus

QuoteNot happy i missed Liverpool over Man U. I hate that we get 1 match a week and it's at some ungodly hour in the morning on Saturday's. Come on ESPN, do we really need 5+ hours of NCCA pre game coverage? Since I'm no longer having to get up at 4:30, I'm missing matches.  :(

Yeah, I caught some of the replay on Fox Soccer Channel.  A huge, much needed win for the Reds.  Anything to see Man U. lose is a joy to me.

mjkoehler

QuoteNot happy i missed Liverpool over Man U. I hate that we get 1 match a week and it's at some ungodly hour in the morning on Saturday's. Come on ESPN, do we really need 5+ hours of NCCA pre game coverage? Since I'm no longer having to get up at 4:30, I'm missing matches.  :(

Yeah, I caught some of the replay on Fox Soccer Channel.  A huge, much needed win for the Reds.  Anything to see Man U. lose is a joy to me.
Exactly.