The Fitness Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jan 08, 2010, 06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

QuoteAll of you long distace runners impress the hell outta me.  I am training for my 2nd 5k (yes - 5k) and I am sucking wind like a son of a bitch!
Any tips on the breathing??  Or other tips that would make running just slightly less torturous??

Sometimes I want to stab running I hate it so much -- but it feels so good after:)

tbd that's great! if you can do a 5K, that puts you ahead of most people fitness wise. that's no easy feat. as for the sucking wind, sounds like a cardio issue that only more running can make easier (or more cardio)...sounds like your heart rate is up but you don't want it to be TOO high up there for a 5K. i try to stay at a pace of 'uncomfortable' breathing...not easy but not out of breath...

one technique for a 5K is to start out slow first couple miles and then once you hit mile 2, step it up for that last mile, start passing people and run at a pace where you're huffing a little bit but you feel okay. i think the key is to conserve energy until you feel good running them..always better to pass than to be passed.....getting passed is bad for confidence...once you know your running body a little more, you can bust out of the start faster and then maintain. nothing more de-motivating, then running that first mile of a 5K super fast, then having nothing left and suffering thru the last couple miles...i guess you'll figure out what works for you. i have 2 super 5K playlists.  :)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

TEO

walked up and down lots of stairs
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

mjkoehler

Do cookies and a small bowl of ice cream count towards a fit/healthy diet. Awww fuck it.

tdb810

QuoteAll of you long distace runners impress the hell outta me.  I am training for my 2nd 5k (yes - 5k) and I am sucking wind like a son of a bitch!
Any tips on the breathing??  Or other tips that would make running just slightly less torturous??

Sometimes I want to stab running I hate it so much -- but it feels so good after:)

tbd that's great! if you can do a 5K, that puts you ahead of most people fitness wise. that's no easy feat. as for the sucking wind, sounds like a cardio issue that only more running can make easier (or more cardio)...sounds like your heart rate is up but you don't want it to be TOO high up there for a 5K. i try to stay at a pace of 'uncomfortable' breathing...not easy but not out of breath...

one technique for a 5K is to start out slow first couple miles and then once you hit mile 2, step it up for that last mile, start passing people and run at a pace where you're huffing a little bit but you feel okay. i think the key is to conserve energy until you feel good running them..always better to pass than to be passed.....getting passed is bad for confidence...once you know your running body a little more, you can bust out of the start faster and then maintain. nothing more de-motivating, then running that first mile of a 5K super fast, then having nothing left and suffering thru the last couple miles...i guess you'll figure out what works for you. i have 2 super 5K playlists.  :)

Thanks so much Penny & MJK!  I appreciate your feedback!  And must laugh at the thought of myself busting out of the start :)  Music makes all the difference for me!  I have a few playlists that I enjoy and that help me stay motivated at times when I am ready to fall over.  As for the breathing - I discovered something last week that has actually helped a little bit - and I can say this - we are all adults here -- i think it was the type of sports bra i was wearing...they were super duper tight to the point that it would bother my neck even when i put it on...but i was looking for really good support.  i think they were just too tight though and impacting my breathing believe it or not.  i am back to the old sports bras - not as supportive -- but made a big difference in the breathing.....ok enough of that r-rated material.

You guys have marathons coming up huh?? That's super cool, and an amazing feat for sure.  Bob ran the NYC marathon in the 90s....way back when his back was in better shape. It does take a toll on the body from what I am told....take care of yourselves and hope you guys have a great run!  can't wait to hear updates on that.   ;D
.....Back at the Model Home

mjkoehler

music makes a HUGE difference. I'm to the point though, that I only listen on really long runs now. But a good mix is imperative. And I'm trying my best to guesstimate my time this year so that I cross the finish line to Dondonte again. It played during the last mile of Chicago last year and I gunned it and did like a 7 minute mile to finish up.

I uhhhh got nothin' for you with the sports bra issue. I'm an expert at removing them and admiring a great fitting one but the right one for running and such.

TEO

nothing today, i suck. prolly try to lift tomorrow...

tdb810

Quotenothing today, i suck. prolly try to lift tomorrow...

the day is not over :)

Penny Lane

Tbd, if i find a good sports bra, i bought 5 of them..a good one is REALLY hard to find...and yes, i go up a size rather than make it tighter..i think it's better that it fit your body better for more support rather than squishing your knockers in too much ;-)

tdb810

QuoteTbd, if i find a good sports bra, i bought 5 of them..a good one is REALLY hard to find...and yes, i go up a size rather than make it tighter..i think it's better that it fit your body better for more support rather than squishing your knockers in too much ;-)

that just made me chuckle!

jones

There is a local half marathon on 10/10 and I just got the wild idea to possibly run it.  I was able to run 6 miles in an hour relatively easily earlier this week without running for a couple of years.  I think that the furthest I have ever run is 10 miles.  I am in decent shape as far as cardio goes from all of the mountain bike riding and racing I've done this year.  I would have three weeks to prepare.  What do you marathon vets think?

The legs would be the only question as riding and running are obviously different.  The course does not have much elevation.  Here's the link:

http://www.evansvillehalfmarathon.com/

Penny Lane

QuoteThere is a local half marathon on 10/10 and I just got the wild idea to possibly run it.  I was able to run 6 miles in an hour relatively easily earlier this week without running for a couple of years.  I think that the furthest I have ever run is 10 miles.  I am in decent shape as far as cardio goes from all of the mountain bike riding and racing I've done this year.  I would have three weeks to prepare.  What do you marathon vets think?

The legs would be the only question as riding and running are obviously different.  The course does not have much elevation.  Here's the link:

http://www.evansvillehalfmarathon.com/

You should do it. All the cross training will put you further ahead in training than you think. If you can get a couple 10 milers in, you'll be golden..DO IT!!

mjkoehler

Do it! If you can do 6 easily, you can quickly build up to do 13.1

jones

By golly, I think I'll do it.

TEO

Paulie_Walnuts

Just started a couple of six week training programmes that will complement my martial arts training, although they are fantastic for anyone needing a challenge. No need for a gym or equipment - just some commitment and determination.

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

We are aiming for 100 continuous push-ups for Pakistan flood victims.

As a side challenge I'm going for the 200 continuous squats.

http://www.twohundredsquats.com/

Done Week 1 on both......five weeks to go!
Paulie W

lil sis

Love kickboxing first thing in the mornin!  Although I did get sick afterwards today lol.
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

Penny Lane

Quotelifted

well then today is your cardio day, old man!
i wanna know that you haven't wasted a good day of saturday exercise.
if you're mowin, make sure you're pushin!

TEO

took dog to park for hills and trails...stocked mini fridge with bottles of water rather than bottles of beer... ;)

mjkoehler

Just awful run today. Warmer then I expected, I slept in which ended up being the worst thing for my legs (who knew?!?!), and I'm starting to get a little burned out. Thankfully I only have 1 more run over 7 miles before the race. That and the man nips are rubbed super raw. I gotta remember that 100% cotten, sweat, and nipples is not a good 3 way.

TEO

Honeycrisp apple slices and a bottle of water for my football snack rather than chips and dip and a beer...every bite of those just bursts in your mouth.