Live from the Palms on Jan. 13th

Started by NoVa_NoLa, Jan 08, 2009, 01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

I'm 45

Damn, I missed a whole year.  Time flies when your having fun.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ultravisitor

QuoteI have a masters degree in social work and have been a counselor for the past 8 years, let me give this a whirl (ie, stand back, I'm a professional!):

So, what you're saying ultravisitor, is that you don't use I-Tunes?

Yeah, well if you wanna impress me, you've gotta tell me, in the form of an essay, why I don't use iTunes.

I am not here to impress anyone. I am only here seeking clarity.

In that case, since it seems that some people are still confused, please allow me to clarify:

I am not against digital downloads.  I do not only buy CDs.  Indeed, nearly all of the music I acquire is in digital format.  It is done legally.  The files are MP3s without DRM or other file-tracking measures attached to them.  And I download a lot of music at a cost far below what the music would cost me through iTunes.  To me, this is what music in the digital era should be.

Until Apple is prepared to offer what I can already get through other vendors (like Amazon, emusic, Zune Marketplace, etc.), I will simply refuse to contribute to their monopolization of content.

BH

Candles and Panties is without DRM so your all good right?  Problem solved.  Everyone is happy.  I can sleep tonight.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ultravisitor

No, as I've already said, there is file tracking attached to it, and it's not in mp3 format.

ycartrob

QuoteNo, as I've already said, there is file tracking attached to it, and it's not in mp3 format.

But I can still enjoy it, right?

BH

QuoteNo, as I've already said, there is file tracking attached to it, and it's not in mp3 format.

The file tracking is only intended to keep you from uploading it for mass distribution which I think we can all agree is probably not a good idea.

And in about three clicks you can change the files to mp3.

So, again, all good?

ultravisitor

Why not?

I'm only speaking for myself.

pawpaw

But I can still enjoy it, right?

Well, I'm enjoying it right now. Very much.

This is the thing: I don't give a shit if there are or aren't file sharing restrictions...My Morning Jacket is one of my favorite bands, and this new EP is EXCELLENT. I love listening to it.  

Good luck with that holdout though! My unprincipled ears will be enjoying another play of Candles & Panties!  ::) ;D    
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

Bbill, can I recommend a pair of these for the next week or two.

ultravisitor

So, again, all good?

No.  Converting a lossy file to another lossy file will result in a downgrade in quality.  However minor that downgrade may be, I'm not willing to make that compromise.  That's why I want files already in mp3 format or in a lossless format that I can rip to whatever quality I would like it to be.

And, even though I never upload files to a filesharing service, I do not want file trackers on the music I purchase.  They're not in place if I choose to buy a CD, so they shouldn't be in place if I choose to buy a digital format.

pawpaw

QuoteBbill, can I recommend a pair of these for the next week or two.

;D We haven't put the headphones on there yet, but we've definitely been playing music for him. He actually responds really well when I strum out chords right next to my wife's belly. Candles & Panties is in our hospital bag though...my wife deemed it mellow enough for the labor room!  ;D Other than that, we have some classical stuff, low key dub, and some good ambient stuff. We'll see how far into labor the music will be playing, and I'm sure there'll be a point when I get the order to "turn that shit off!"  ;D

Due Date is Super Bowl Sunday!!!  :D
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

So, again, all good?

No.  Converting a lossy file to another lossy file will result in a downgrade in quality.  However minor that downgrade may be, I'm not willing to make that compromise.  That's why I want files already in mp3 format or in a lossless format that I can rip to whatever quality I would like it to be.

And, even though I never upload files to a filesharing service, I do not want file trackers on the music I purchase.  They're not in place if I choose to buy a CD, so they shouldn't be in place if I choose to buy a digital format.

OK, just so I'm clear I would like to summarize.

You won't get to hear a great ep by one of your favorite bands because

a) There may or may not be a minor downgrade in sound and

b) It comes with a "tracker" on it that doesn't affect you in any way.

OK, now I'm starting to understand.   Fight the good fight!

ultravisitor

Well, you're cherry picking reasons, and yes, those are some of them.

ycartrob

So, again, all good?

So, what if I burned a copy for you on a disc and sent it to you via snail mail. Would you listen to it then?

KC

QuoteWell, you're cherry picking reasons, and yes, those are some of them.

Cherry picking? I am pretty sure those were the reasons you stated. While lossless files from iTunes would be nice. They surely would cost more than 99 cents. Its not perfect, but the iTMS is very necessary and useful at this current time in music/technological history.

I respect your decision to fight for what you believe in by speaking with your wallet. However, in this situation I think that you are being a little too stubborn. You are making yourself suffer over only slightly meaningful details.
[url="http://37flood.com"]http://37flood.com[/url]

capt. scotty

QuoteToo bad this is an iTunes exclusive.  I have never bought anything from the iTunes store, and I never will.  I simply refuse.  I never even open the program.

I haven't either. Hopelessly old-school here. But I've heard the EP. I consider myself a big fan, and look forward to the next studio album, but to me this EP is pretty non-essential anyway. Even if it was on CD, I'd probably pass. The old songs are done nicely, but hey, I have them on TTF.....and Dear Wife does nothing for me.

Don't be surprised if by the time MMJ's next 'album' comes out, it ends up being download only. I hate to admit it too, but CDs are dying a fast death, unfortunately.

I dont think CD's are dying out as quickly as some might think. Ive heard people who work at best buy, etc. say their CD sales are surprisingly strong. Almost everytime I go to a local new & used CD and DVD shop, theres 15+ people in there.

Also, contrary to popular belief, 10's of millions of people jst in the USA dont have computers and therefor cant download music.

As some here have already said with even more feeling the same way, it just feels better driving to wherever, getting that CD/vinyl/album whatever in your hand, and putting it on in your car or when you get home.

And no, MMJ's next album will not only be available via download  :)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteWhy can i not find it on(at?) itunes store. Is it only available to US residents? I would just loose my mind should that be the case.

That seems to be the case.

I bought it with no problems in the UK...

what kind of classified british intelligence did you use to pull that off?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ultravisitor

Cherry picking? I am pretty sure those were the reasons you stated. While lossless files from iTunes would be nice. They surely would cost more than 99 cents. Its not perfect, but the iTMS is very necessary and useful at this current time in music/technological history.

I respect your decision to fight for what you believe in by speaking with your wallet. However, in this situation I think that you are being a little too stubborn. You are making yourself suffer over only slightly meaningful details.

I'm not suffering at all, really.  This is not the first time iTunes has had an exclusive in which I have been interested, and I daresay it will not be the last.  This might be painful if a longer album, like Okonokos, were exclusive.  But an EP comprised almost entirely of songs that I've already heard?  No biggie to me.

I do think that iTunes is useful; however, I don't believe that the way they do business is at all necessary.  As I've said previously, I've downloaded (legally) literally hundreds of albums at a fraction of what it would cost me to do via iTunes.  All the songs I purchase are high-quality mp3s with no DRM or filetracking measures attached to them.  

Look at it this way:  if emusic.com offers me 50 downloads a month at $11.99, then why can't iTunes?  (Partly, I would suggest, because people enable their business model without thinking twice about it).  emusic has MMJ's (almost) entire catalog, as well as the catalogs of numerous other artists I like.  I've been tempted to leave more recently, but they continue to have a lot of albums that I can't get anywhere else.  So they get a lot of my money.

Amazon offers DRM-free MP3s, too, and they've got a good selection.

Anyway, I know I've gone on at length about this, and it may have been annoying.  I feel strongly about this, so it's important to me that I not contribute to Apple.  I've felt this way for years and have managed to never buy anything from them.  I'm not going to crack over one more EP, even if it is MMJ.

Tracy, I'll send you a PM.

rcs

Quoteit's not on itunes here.   :'(
I feel your pain.  Can't get it here in Canada.  Bum-mer.    :(

Guess I'll just have to go and listen to At Dawn to cheer me up.  :)

rcs

QuoteWhy can i not find it on(at?) itunes store. Is it only available to US residents? I would just loose my mind should that be the case.

That seems to be the case.

I bought it with no problems in the UK...

what kind of classified british intelligence did you use to pull that off?
I'd be really keen on knowing too!  Please?