NCAA Football 2007-2008

Started by AngryEwok, Aug 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

primushead

QuoteTruly, let's get this thread re-railed

ditto

Does Florida go down again in Lexington this weekend? Does anyone know the last time Fla lost 3 in a row??    

I sure hope so.  

Seriously, I apologize in advance if anyone here is from Florida, but I can't stand it anymore.  For the last two summers, all I've seen are snobby Florida tourists who come up to North Carolina to hang out in their overpriced 2nd homes and STILL bitch about how hot it is in the mountains.  

And what do they have posted on their H2's and Mercedes SUV's?  Bumper stickers saying, "Gator Nation" and "2 time Hoops Champions" and things of that sort and it bugs the hell out of me.  I REALLY hope that they lose this weekend and I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that their whole excuse for a basketball program under an overrated coach takes a nose dive.

There. I'm done.

megisnotreal

third saturday in october this weekend, and mr. ewok and i have sweet seats.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Saturday_in_October)

i am so excited about this i can't think straight.

bowl of soup

So everyone's with me and USF on Thursday night right?  WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWW!
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

ycartrob

QuoteSo everyone's with me and USF on Thursday night right?  WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWW!

I'm pulling for USF. I would totally love to see USF go undefeated and go toe to toe with a 1 loss big name program in the BCS championship and beat them. I'm on board man, I got your back. I have never been so focused in my life. FUCK a bunch of Scarlet Knights!

EAZYE

Quoteummm yeah moving on

So does anyone want to discuss the glorious news coming from Lincoln? 1 down 1 more to go and the rumors/rumblings last I saw was Osborn would be the new AD and Turner Gill would be head couch. I think I would soil myself if that happened. That means the Option (Gill was a f'n MASTER at running it and was Tommy Fraziers QB couch at NU) and the Power I would be back.

was excited to hear that for you mj ;)    getting Osborn as the AD would be a huge bonus for you guys.  NU has been getting a lot of attention on the sports talk radio station here lately.  can't say that it's all been good, but a lot of callers want you guys to get back to national prominence (me included), makes for better games and a stronger big 12 north.  i'd venture to say that NU is one of the top 5-10 jobs in the country.  good luck getting someone good to replace that dipshit callahan.

A&M can stay shitty as far as I'm concerned ;D
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

EAZYE

QuoteSo everyone's with me and USF on Thursday night right?  WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWW!

I'm pulling for USF. I would totally love to see USF go undefeated and go toe to toe with a 1 loss big name program in the BCS championship and beat them. I'm on board man, I got your back. I have never been so focused in my life. FUCK a bunch of Scarlet Knights!

Would love to see OU as that 1 loss big name program, just wouldn't want to see us lose though.  That Boise State loss still makes me sick to my stomach. :-?  We did our part for the little programs last year
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

mjkoehler

Quoteummm yeah moving on

So does anyone want to discuss the glorious news coming from Lincoln? 1 down 1 more to go and the rumors/rumblings last I saw was Osborn would be the new AD and Turner Gill would be head couch. I think I would soil myself if that happened. That means the Option (Gill was a f'n MASTER at running it and was Tommy Fraziers QB couch at NU) and the Power I would be back.

was excited to hear that for you mj ;)    getting Osborn as the AD would be a huge bonus for you guys.  NU has been getting a lot of attention on the sports talk radio station here lately.  can't say that it's all been good, but a lot of callers want you guys to get back to national prominence (me included), makes for better games and a stronger big 12 north.  i'd venture to say that NU is one of the top 5-10 jobs in the country.  good luck getting someone good to replace that dipshit callahan.

A&M can stay shitty as far as I'm concerned ;D

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. Part 1 of the grand plan is complete. Dr Tom has been named AD! Fire Callahan's sorry ass please

BH

Quoteummm yeah moving on

Yes, hopefully it's a long long drawn out rebuilding process.   ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

I'm not sure where I was, but someone said something about Ohio State owning the crown this year regardless of their opponent... I found that very interesting, more from a historical standpoint than anything else. I did some research, and history says that Ohio State has found itself a "daddy" up against one opponent in particular.

Ohio State verses SEC Teams in Bowl Games... (They're 0 and 9)

1/8/2007 vs. Florida (13-1) LOSS 14 - 41 BCS Championship
1/1/2002 vs. South Carolina (9-3) LOSS 28 - 31 Outback Bowl
1/1/2001 vs. South Carolina (8-4) LOSS 7 - 24 Outback Bowl
1/1/1996 vs. Tennessee (11-1) LOSS 14 - 20 Citrus Bowl
1/2/1995 vs. Alabama (12-1) LOSS 17 - 24 Citrus Bowl
1/1/1993 vs. Georgia (10-2) LOSS 14 - 21 Citrus Bowl
1/1/1990 vs. Auburn (10-2) LOSS 14 - 31 Hall of Fame Bowl
8/27/1986 vs. Alabama (10-3) LOSS 10 - 16 Kick-off Classic
1/2/1978 vs. Alabama (11-1) LOSS 6 - 35 Sugar Bowl

SEC Teams have outscored Ohio State by a total of 163 points in only 9 Bowl Games... Remarkable, really. The Bucks better hope the SEC totally dismantles itself, this year.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Angry Ewok

I am getting pumped up for the Third Saturday in October... Easily one of the most intense rivalry games in the South. The beloved Alabama Crimson Tide against the putrid Tennessee Volunteers. Classic Crimson and White set against a field of obnoxiously bright orange. Our beautiful Bryant-Denny Stadium welcomes, hosts,... and uh... e-x-p-a-n-d-s all entrances for Philip the Hutt Fulmer and his Vols, this year.

Alabama (5-2, ranked #30) is looking for a must-needed upset at home against Tennessee (4-2, ranked #20). The line gives the Tide a +1 point lead, but this baffling to me given Alabama's inconsistency all season. My assumption is that all this really means is that the pick's find neither team to be soundly reliable - and the Crimson Tide will merely have some favor with its home team advantage.

I'm willing to bet Alabama is a 14 point underdog before kickoff, though, and rightfully so.

I predicted an Alabama win this weekend, before the season began... my overall prediction is 8-4, requiring an upset either this Saturday, or the next against LSU (#5), or the Iron Bowl against Auburn (#18). Of the three teams to beat, I think it's obvious that Tennessee is the most approachable.

I'll stick to my prediction. I expect to see a upset.

ycartrob

Regardless of your love or hate of the Big Orange and The Crimson Tide, if you're not tuned in on the 3rd Saturday in October, you're not a true college football fan.

sweatboard

I think TN will lose to KY and SC but there is no way in HELL we will lose to AL.  Alabama SUCKS (all caps) this year.  I'm really excited about the KY vs. FL matchup this weekend.  I think I would actually rather see FL lose again than see TN win.      
There's Still Time.........

bowl of soup

Wow, our relationship has really come a long way in a few days.  Are we, like dating now?

bowl of soup

QuoteYou callin' the bear queer?                  ;D

I don't know, but that hat always kind of screamed "Marvelous!!!!!"

ycartrob

Wow, our relationship has really come a long way in a few days.  Are we, like dating now?

I wouldn't call it dating unless I get some nice merchandise from you out of it...

(the fact that I can be a difficult prick is not beyond me).

megisnotreal

is is realistic? maybe.
would it be awesome to witness? hell yes.

aMD

I just wanted to remind everyone that [size=18]THE Ohio State Buckeyes are #1[/size]

primushead

They seem pretty legit (even after playing in a pretty weak Big 10) but I think if they play well through the Michigan game, they'll be national title contenders.

Angry Ewok

QuoteI think TN will lose to KY and SC but there is no way in HELL we will lose to AL.  Alabama SUCKS (all caps) this year.

Never say never, Brian, especially with two SEC Teams that haven't showed much consistency in their game... Alabama has a good home crowd advantage, it beat #16 Arkansas and took Georgia to the brink because the fans kept them in it. Fulmer is no hack, but I think we've got the better coach, too. Nick Saban singlehandedly won the Ole Miss game based on time management skills alone. How timeouts are handled on the field may tip the balance in this game, and Saban has a strict policy about players using timeouts. It may be the only thing he's been able to teach those kids - "Do not use my timeouts."

Our players have talent, but where the Tide undeniably sucks this year is where Mike Shula's neglect has been hurting us for years, now - poor discipline. The whole Ole Miss controversy would have been spared if our guy had just knocked the ball down. Three games, now, an Alabama player has tried to make an interception on a 4th down hail mary pass. Why? Why do you need to intercept the ball? Glory? Just knock the fucking ball down!

If something doesn't change, the Vols are going to destroy our secondary. Those guys out there have a hot shot syndrome and we'll be dealt with handily if they don't get their heads out of their rears and start playing smart defense.

But if John Parker Wilson shows up with his (handsome) gameday face on, and our running game isn't totally abandoned, Tennessee might get shocked. Alabama has played better against ranked teams than against unranked teams - that alone proves this game can be won if our boys want it, take it, and don't let go in the second half.