The NFL Thread 2009

Started by capt._headdy, Mar 20, 2009, 01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Oh yeah, Patsies traded Richard Seymour to Oakland for their 2011 1st round pick. I hope da Raiders get a lot better tha next couple of years so its not like the 4th pick of the draft.

That said, I think this is the 1st time the Pats overextended their idea of value and rebuilding. Outside of possibly Wilfork, Seymour was the MVP of that D (although Mayo could take that description soon). Brady and Welker are in their prime, Moss is in his twilight, and Seymour isnt even 30. Im not saying the Pats still cant win a SB this year or anything, but they moved Seymour a couple years too early. He's an impact player, and finding a 3-4 DE is one of the toughest position to find since basically no colleges play a 3-4.

Patsies probably end up with a great, possibly uncapped, pick in 2011, but considering the team they have, IMO it makes no sense to get rid of a guy like Seymour.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

.Walt

QuoteThis made me throw up in my mouth a little. Brady has a logo.

;D

I think Brady can do whatever he wants. Must be nice.  :-/

8-)

but for the record...if Tom Brady gets hurt this mancrush thing is over!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

Almost had to work on Sunday at my part-time job. I took every Sunday off, and my boss (female) asked me why? I told her because football is starting, and she was totally cool with it. All she said was that's understandable.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

capt. scotty

QuoteAlmost had to work on Sunday at my part-time job. I took every Sunday off, and my boss (female) asked me why? I told her because football is starting, and she was totally cool with it. All she said was that's understandable.

I always say its against my religion  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

pawpaw

QuoteOh yeah, Patsies traded Richard Seymour to Oakland for their 2011 1st round pick. I hope da Raiders get a lot better tha next couple of years so its not like the 4th pick of the draft.

That said, I think this is the 1st time the Pats overextended their idea of value and rebuilding. Outside of possibly Wilfork, Seymour was the MVP of that D (although Mayo could take that description soon). Brady and Welker are in their prime, Moss is in his twilight, and Seymour isnt even 30. Im not saying the Pats still cant win a SB this year or anything, but they moved Seymour a couple years too early. He's an impact player, and finding a 3-4 DE is one of the toughest position to find since basically no colleges play a 3-4.

Patsies probably end up with a great, possibly uncapped, pick in 2011, but considering the team they have, IMO it makes no sense to get rid of a guy like Seymour.

I'm not sure if I like this deal. The Raiders need SERIOUS help on run defense, but he's only guaranteed through this season. He'll be playing for his next contract, so we'll almost certainly get one great season out of him, but I have a feeling that he won't be signing with Oakland next year.  ;)  :-/

I'm hopeful for some sign of improvement this season...the past six have been disgusting. If we can beat the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, and win 6 or 7 more games, I'll consider this a good season for where we're at. We've got NFC East and AFC North teams on the schedule this year though, so a better record than last season might be a tall order... :-/
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

capt. scotty

I dont like it for either side. Pats were stupid to trade him since their time to win is right now, and a team that shouldve tried to get Seymour is one that is a player or 2 away from a superbowl shot, not da Raidas

aMillionDreams

If only Bill Bellichek knew as much as you about football...

::)
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

pawpaw

QuoteIf only Bill Bellichek knew as much as you about football...

::)

;D
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

capt. scotty

What a game....that was like playoff football the first game of the season.

I have no idea what Tennessee was thinking with CJ3. Broke some big runs early, and then it was like they abandoned him from halfway thru the 2nd quarter until some point in the 4th...bad call on their part IMO.

Justin Gage looked good. Id pick him up in our league if I had someone to drop.

I hope Santonio proves me wrong and will be a reliable #1 WR consistently this year. Judging by our shit show of a running game, we need it.

I think Heath Miller got a career high in targets tonight. I love it.

All you people who called me crazy when I ranked Ben Roeth the #2 or #3 QB before last year started can kiss my taint. In the words of Biggie Smalls, if you dont know, now you know.

Oh yeah, I was going to be kind and give you a McNair avatar, but here's youre avatar Corey. Feel free to post a lot the next 10 days:

http://pyleoflist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/one-yard-short.jpg

corey

Helluva game. Bironas' missed field goal in the first quarter would have been the difference. I still can't believe he missed that one. Very unlike him.

You're right about the Titans not giving CJ the ball more. What the hell were they thinking?  

I think that Big Ben will be known by his sacks like Favre is known for his interceptions. He'll still be revered as a good QB, but there will always be an asterisk beside it.

bear sin rug

I think that Big Ben will be known by his sacks like Favre is known for his interceptions. He'll still be revered as a good QB, but there will always be an asterisk beside it.

that's a great point. Broncos fan here and there was really no knock on Elway's game, as with the other greats, Montana, Marino, P. Manning, Brady.

R'berger is an ok QB who's been in the right place at the right time to get SB wins (last year it was b/c Brady was down). The way he holds the ball sometimes like a deer in headlights is absurd. Maybe he'll get rid of that with age.
It's a bad idea

capt. scotty

QuoteHelluva game. Bironas' missed field goal in the first quarter would have been the difference. I still can't believe he missed that one. Very unlike him.

You could say the same exact thing about Hines Ward's fumble. We had the win before OT if he doesnt do that.

I dont agree with you or BSRug at all here. Yes, he holds on to the ball too long sometimes, but if you watched him every week, you'd see how many plays he makes during those occasions. I find myself almost every week yelling at the TV for him to throw the ball away, and then he completes a 15 yard pass. Its just how he plays, and Ive learned to not be too worried about it.

80% of the sacks he takes are on our O-Line. Our O-Line is abhorrent, it has to be one of the 5-7 worst in the NFL. Our best O-Lineman is probably Willie Colon. Whats that you say, you never heard of him? Exactly. Look at how unsuccessful our running game has been the last 2+ years, and its no surprise how many times he's been sacked. I mean, on Kearse's sack no one even blocked him.

Ben will probably never put up numbers like Brees, but he has intangibles and a skill set like no other QB in the league. There isnt a QB in the NFL who could do what Ben does behind our O-Line, no one. Im assuming our O-Line will be better a few years down the road when we use 1st rounders on the O-Line and maybe bring someone in, so when he actually has time to throw the ball (i.e. our last couple drives last night), you see what he can do when he actually has time in the pocket. When you get sacked about 90 times over 2 years, its not just because you hold onto the ball too long

capt. scotty

R'berger is an ok QB who's been in the right place at the right time to get SB wins (last year it was b/c Brady was down). The way he holds the ball sometimes like a deer in headlights is absurd. Maybe he'll get rid of that with age.

If you only think he's an "ok" QB at this point, you probably will never understand how good he is.

I guess youre right about being in the right place at the right time though. You cant have a 2-minute drill in the SB and drive down the field to win your 2nd SB in 5 years when you arent actually playing in the SB, so I guess he was in the right place to do that at the right time  ;D

bear sin rug

If you only think he's an "ok" QB at this point, you probably will never understand how good he is.

I guess youre right about being in the right place at the right time though. You cant have a 2-minute drill in the SB and drive down the field to win your 2nd SB in 5 years when you arent actually playing in the SB, so I guess he was in the right place to do that at the right time  ;D

well, I think the fact you have to defend big ben sort of proves me and corey's point. if you have to go to lengths to talk about how great the defending SB champs' QB is, then maybe he ain't so great?

there's nothing anyone can say to where I need to defend elway. that's b/c he's one of the greatest. even when they didn't go to the SB (same w/marino)
It's a bad idea

capt. scotty

;D

Im not defending him, Im trying to inform you and let you know why you're mistaken. Of course you dont need to defend Elway or Marino, theyre HOFers. I think Roethlisberger has a dirt road to Canton right now that 5 years from now will probably be paved.

You like Elway so I guess youll like this stat:

Roethlisberger has 18 4th quarter comebacks since 2004. Most in the NFL  8-)

ManNamedTruth

No one is better at QB than Ben at the moment. I'll take Big Ben over anyone. That pump fake of his is perfected. Obviously Ben can't play this way his whole career, I think we'll see him continually evolve his game over the years.
I think the run game will get better. Titans have a very good defense and I think we'll continue to struggle with running the ball against the better defenses - Baltimore, Minnesota, etc...Looking at the schedule, I think we'll dominate some of these teams. The defenses we have to go against this year are much weaker than last year, that combined with the fact that our backs are healthy means things can only get better. The O Line looked great at moments last night, Ben had a lot of time back there for most of the game. The run blocking needs a lot of improvement, but I think it will happen.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

capt. scotty

The run game cant get worse! It'll get better, but we wont be a better than middle of the road running team, if that. When it comes to winning playoff games, we'll be lucky to get help from the ground game against teams like that, which is a concern.

Those last 2 drives the O-Line finally gave Ben time, and he picked the #3 defense from a year ago apart. Thats what I was trying to say, when he has the time basically every other decent QB gets on a consistent basis, its apparent he isnt the reason he gets sacked so many times.

Just as the schedule will help us hopefully get the running game going, I think our D has just as good of a chance of repeating last years historic numbers. It hurts to see Troy go down though. I think we saw Troy at 100% last night before he got injured, and based on how he looked, I think he almost always is playing a little dinged up because he was playing at a level even above what he usually does. Ed Reed might be the best ballhawking safety, but Polamalu is the best all around safety by a decent margin for my money. Hopefully he's close to that level when he comes back in a few weeks. Having him out hurts a lot more than Timmons, which also is a considerable loss despite Fox stepping in and holding down the fort. Hopefully LT is back next week vs da Bears

corey

QuoteYes, he holds on to the ball too long sometimes, but if you watched him every week, you'd see how many plays he makes during those occasions.

I never said he didn't make some fantastic plays. I was just stating that I think his number of sacks will be the asterisk on his career like Favre's number of interceptions is.

Quote80% of the sacks he takes are on our O-Line.

Is this why Ben has apologized to the O-line for his high number of sacks?  ;D

It DOES sound like you're being defensive.  :)

capt. scotty

Is this why Ben has apologized to the O-line for his high number of sacks?  ;D

Well, he's not going to pull a Peyton Manning and cry about his O-Line being the reason.

Ive been watching sports TV a lot today, and I dont hear people saying Ben holds onto the ball too long, I hear people once again saying we wont go to the Super Bowl because our O-Line is a POS.

For 139 sacks in 3 years to happen, its a lot more than the QB

Ruckus

Got my flat screens set up side by side with the Sunday Ticket. 8-)

Jets and Ravens early, Skins (for the lady) and Bears in the afternoon.  

Should be fun :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head