The NFL Thread: 2010

Started by capt._headdy, Mar 05, 2010, 07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 09, 2011, 10:37 AM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jan 09, 2011, 02:02 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 08, 2011, 10:41 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 08, 2011, 10:29 PM
I want to see the Jets come to Foxboro next week, but I still can't cheer 'em on in this battle with Indy, one of the most boring games I've seen in a while.

Sorry, Tracy, bout dem Saints.  The Pats need to learn this lesson- any team can beat any other team any time.  "Any given Saturday."

well, it just goes to show that every game counts. If our FG kicker had not missed a 29 yarder in OT against the Falcons early in the year, we would have a bye and home field next weekend. We're beat up (4 RB's out) and our D is a little banged up, but they didn't show up today.

The Super Bowl is in the Big Easy next year; watch out.

The Falcons ended the regular season at 13-3 and your Saints at 11-5. If they would have won that one game you mentioned, they would've been 12-4 and they still would've been a wild card with the Falcons winning the division.

EDIT:
They would've both been 12-4 (brain fart) and also would've had both the same divisional and conference record. I don't know, I would just delete this post if we could still do that.

Well, I think we would have kept our starters in against the Bucs the last game of the season and beat them, if we were playing for the division title and a first round bye. Too many ifs

My point is how every game really counts.
That point is not lost over here for the Ravens.  Talk radio has been harping on blowing the 10 point 4th quarter lead to the Pats at home or the blown assignment allowing Polamalu to come untouched to strip Flacco.  Either game goes their way and they are the two seed with a bye and hosting their first game.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

I want to see the Jets come to Foxboro next week, but I still can't cheer 'em on in this battle with Indy, one of the most boring games I've seen in a while.

Well I watched it on DVR so it only took like 100 minutes to watch it, but I thought the Jets-Colts game was pretty entertaining and not boring at all. First half had some good defense - outside of the Garcon TD - but moreso sloppy offense IMO (The whole game, but especially the first half, Manning checked down when he still had plenty of time to see if anyone else got open. He seemed scared to get hit, and afraid to test Revis). 2nd half was much more offensive with each team scoring on long drives basically every drive. Vinatieri was mad clutch. Props to Jets for having the balls for that last pass to Braylon. It wouldve been a little more interesting if Folk didnt have a chip shot for the game winner.

...Cant believe the Sqawks beat the Saints. Considering everybody was saying how there should be rule changes to not allow sub-.500 teams in the playoffs, and that team beat the defending champs who didnt back into the playoffs, thats gotta be one of the biggest upsets/chokejobs ever in the playoffs. Talk about Marshawn going BEAST MODE in the most clutch time possible. Thats one of the best runs Ive ever seen thanks to all those broken tackles, especially the first 4-5 of them

Marshawn Lynch BEAST MODE 67 yard TD run vs New Orleans Saints- Greatest run of all time?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Tracy 2112

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 09, 2011, 11:42 AM
...Cant believe the Sqawks beat the Saints. Considering everybody was saying how there should be rule changes to not allow sub-.500 teams in the playoffs, and that team beat the defending champs who didnt back into the playoffs, thats gotta be one of the biggest upsets/chokejobs ever in the playoffs. Talk about Marshawn going BEAST MODE in the most clutch time possible. Thats one of the best runs Ive ever seen thanks to all those broken tackles, especially the first 4-5 of them

Marshawn Lynch BEAST MODE 67 yard TD run vs New Orleans Saints- Greatest run of all time?

for whatever reason the Saints couldn't get past the teams they were "supposed" to beat this year. I guess not having Jenkins in the DB hurt us more than I thought. Sour grapes > going 7-9 and getting a home playoff game ain't right. Big Marshawn Lynch fan from back in Cal days, but that one hurt.

Interesting stat I heard was the last Super Bowl champ to even WIN a playoff game was the '04 Pats. Hard to believe.

Soooooo, go Seahawks and go Chiefs.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

capt. scotty

ATL-GB feels like they should be playing in the NFC championship game more than the divisional round.

I think the Jets will make this one close, or at least I hope so, but if NE wins by 20 or something I wont be surprised.

PIT-BALT should be its typical, physical, badass rivalry and win by a FG by one team. Hopefully Aaron Smith will be back!!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Tracy 2112

All the home teams lost over the weekend except the team with a losing record.

Go figure

Tracy 2112

Quote from: corey on Jan 09, 2011, 10:29 AM
Um, Rex Ryan is one of the main reasons why I've been keeping an eye on the Jets this season. The guy is just fun. Maybe a little strange with that whole foot thing...:)   but he caught my attention last year with the "we're not here to kiss Belichik's rings" comments. If there's a coach that I can't stand in the NFL, it's Belichik.

I stopped liking the jets b/c of Ryan. And the link below is why. He's more of a WWF hype machine than an NFL coach, to me. He is saying "the playoff game Sunday between the New York Jets and New England Patriots is about Bill Belichick vs. Rex Ryan." I half expect him to have a metal folding chair at this side during the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-patriotsrivalry

Tracy 2112

Tracy 2112

Man, if you're going to talk smack, at least have a good time !  ;D

Wes Welker 10 Foot References

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 14, 2011, 12:21 PM
Man, if you're going to talk smack, at least have a good time !  ;D

Wes Welker 10 Foot References

Right!?  I mean he delivered it perfectly in the Patriots' way but it would have been HILARIOUS if he's cracking up as he was delivering every reference.

Ruckus

Maybe Colin Cowherd will STFU now and give Aaron Rodgers the respect he deserves!  I'll never understand those that hate because someone hasn't accomplished 'something' that is deemed to be some minimum measuring stick (such as reach a Super Bowl) when anyone who knows anything about football can see that Rodgers destroys any eyeball test.  He is the most well rounded quarterback that I have ever seen!  Will he not be validated in the eyes of many until he wins a Super Bowl?  Unfortunately yes.  Does he have the best skill set of any quarterback I have ever seen?  Yes and it's not even close.  Have I recently been asking myself a number of questions on this board and answering them myself?  Yes.

A very lukewarm congrats to you Steelers fans.  I had a lot of issues with that game and I feel for my Ravens' fan friends.  BUT, I give credit for the big play down the sideline on that huge 3rd down.  Going for it takes balls and though the Ravens were a disgrace in letting anyone get behind them, it was still a hell of a play.

Ruckus

And now today!  By far the most anticipated day of football in my life.  I'm trying to recall another year where both the Jets and Bears were playing with a chance to both go to their respective conference championship games.  Almost 6 hours til kickoff and my excitement is uncontrollable.

To Murph - GO JETS!
To Tater - GO BEARS!

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 16, 2011, 07:22 AM
Maybe Colin Cowherd will STFU now and give Aaron Rodgers the respect he deserves! 

I had to quit listening to that dude; like fingernails on a chalkboard (do people still use chalkboards?)

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 16, 2011, 09:49 AM
Maybe Colin Cowherd will STFU now and give Aaron Rodgers the respect he deserves! 

I had to quit listening to that dude; like fingernails on a chalkboard (do people still use chalkboards?)

I can't stand him either but he is good at getting the ratings.  I don't get ESPN well in my car so I don't listen to him often.  Since I'm home on Monday days, I'll sometimes watch his show on ESPNU so I can talk about him with my buddies who are always in a tizzy over something he said.

I just noticed your tag line. ;D  They were really fun

ManNamedTruth

Maybe Colin Cowherd will STFU now and give Aaron Rodgers the respect he deserves!  I'll never understand those that hate because someone hasn't accomplished 'something' that is deemed to be some minimum measuring stick (such as reach a Super Bowl) when anyone who knows anything about football can see that Rodgers destroys any eyeball test.  He is the most well rounded quarterback that I have ever seen!  Will he not be validated in the eyes of many until he wins a Super Bowl?  Unfortunately yes.  Does he have the best skill set of any quarterback I have ever seen?  Yes and it's not even close.  Have I recently been asking myself a number of questions on this board and answering them myself?  Yes.

A very lukewarm congrats to you Steelers fans.  I had a lot of issues with that game and I feel for my Ravens' fan friends.  BUT, I give credit for the big play down the sideline on that huge 3rd down.  Going for it takes balls and though the Ravens were a disgrace in letting anyone get behind them, it was still a hell of a play.

The issues Ravens fans should feel is their teem not coming up big in clutch moments -  Anquan Boldin dropping a touchdown pass and Houshmanzadeh dropping that 4th down catch at the end. I'm sure they're doing a whole lotta whining right now. Boo hoo!
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Tracy 2112

Rooting for the Steelers and the Lakers in 1 lifetime? Hell, make that 1 year!  ;D

How long till someone sez that Welker put his foot in his mouth?

capt. scotty

What issues did you have with the game?? We made a hell of a comeback in the 2nd half. Forced TO's and made Flacco look bad as usual, sacked him 5 times. Roethlisberger made a ton of clutch throws. We held Flacco to 125 yards passing and a 61.1 passer rating, Rice to 64 total yards and under 3 YPC. I didnt expect us to win on a TD that was set up by a 60yd pass on 3 & 19, but the way the game was going I thought we deserved to win and expected us to.

Congrats on the Jets...I cant remember the last time Ive had so much joy and happiness watching a non-Steelers game. As Ive always said, get pressure on Brady and he looks pedestrian, which they did today. My boy Tone had easily the play of the game with that TD catch IMO, and great drive by the Jets to get a TD after NE came within 3. Ahh, watching Brady and Belicheck lose is almost better than seeing the Steelers win  :bath:

br00ke

so stoked for the Bears & Jets win ... if it's even possible, i might be more stoked that the Pats are OUT !!!!  :D :D

capt. scotty

Quote from: br00ke on Jan 16, 2011, 09:45 PM
so stoked for the Bears & Jets win ... if it's even possible, i might be more stoked that the Pats are OUT !!!!  :D :D

Oh, its definitely possible!!  :)

corey

Yeah, I'm very glad the Pats are out also. I had already given into the fact that they were gonna be Super Bowl champs. Everything is much more exciting now.

At this point, though, I'm not sure who I want to win.

I like the Bears because of my childhood. When you were a kid my age, it was hard NOT to like the Bears. Super Bowl Shuffle, anyone? That shit was crazy. Jim McMahon was a football rockstar and Singletary and Dent were ripping offenses apart.

But I also enjoy watching Aaron Rodgers play, so I'm not really sure who I like in the Bears/Pack matchup.

I like the Jets over the Steelers. I just can't get behind the Steelers for some reason.  But I think they'll end up beating the Jets.

So my Super Bowl pick will probably be whoever wins the Bears/Pack game. How's that for science? 

br00ke

Quote from: corey on Jan 17, 2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I'm very glad the Pats are out also. I had already given into the fact that they were gonna be Super Bowl champs. Everything is much more exciting now.

exactly !!! I AM SO STOKED  :D

so who am i pulling for outta this finale four? well to be honest this is the 1st year i've really gotten into NFL. as most of you know i am a crazy college fan but was never entirely taken by pro-ball. this year, however, i decided i was going to become a fan and so i did.

part of the reason i never really got into NFL is that i never had a team (hailing from the state of alabama). i'm a fan of the Bears and the Jets b/c my very favorite football friends are HUGE FANS. it's hard not to pull for their teams b/c they are so fanatical and both teams have had a great season. plus the Bears harken to my childhood in the same way Corey mentioned. but from just watching this season, who i personally liked ... i'd really like to see the Packers in the Super Bowl.