Favorite records of 2011 so far....

Started by sweatboard, Mar 26, 2011, 11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjk73

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jul 27, 2011, 10:55 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 18, 2011, 12:55 PM
This will be my album of the year. I can't see anything topping it.

YES. I'm addicted. Perhaps FT and Noel's solo album can give Brit-pop a comeback. Great folky lyrics---the way he says 'northumberland' reminds me of Mark Knofler..
I would approve of that.

dragonboy

King Creosote & Jon Hopkins' Diamond Mine is excellent & just got nominated for a Mercury Prize. Seeing them next month...

King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Bats in the Attic

King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Your Own Spell

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

capt. scotty

Surprised Portugal.The Man's album In The Mountain In The Cloud hasnt been mentioned yet. Never really gave them a chance because of the band name I found rather retarded, but in just a week of listening, its become a Top 5 mortal lock for me.

In no order yet, Id say my Top 5 is something like...

Portugal. The Man - In the Mountain In the Cloud
White Denim - D
The Sheepdogs - Learn & Burn
MMJ - Circuital
Rival Sons - Pressue & Time

not far off would be...

Cults - Cults
Felice Brothers - Ponzi
JEFF the Brotherhood - We Are The Champions
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

chaqueta sucia

My new favorite album I cannot stop listening to is American Goldwing by Blitzen Trapper.  I have followed them for years and love all of their albums but this one is superior to all others.  I have a feeling it is gonna get them out there in a big way.  The songs Fletcher and Love the Way You Walk Away are just unreal.

Sidus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 11, 2011, 03:19 PM
Surprised Portugal.The Man's album In The Mountain In The Cloud hasnt been mentioned yet. Never really gave them a chance because of the band name I found rather retarded, but in just a week of listening, its become a Top 5 mortal lock for me.

Need to buy that album fast, haven't heard anything yet :). I like most of their previous stuff and live they're great!

Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Aug 23, 2011, 03:44 PM
My new favorite album I cannot stop listening to is American Goldwing by Blitzen Trapper.  I have followed them for years and love all of their albums but this one is superior to all others.  I have a feeling it is gonna get them out there in a big way.  The songs Fletcher and Love the Way You Walk Away are just unreal.

Has it leaked or something? Because I thought it would be released in September. But I'm glad to hear it sounds great! Destroyer of the Void was OK I think, but I never really gotten into that album. I love Furr and Wild Mountain Nation though. Maybe I need to give Destroyer of the Void more chances ;). Does the new album sound more like their earlier stuff, or is it completely different, or...?

TheBigChicken

Iron and Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean :thumbsup:
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

capt. scotty

Quote from: Sidus on Aug 23, 2011, 04:35 PM

Has it leaked or something? Because I thought it would be released in September. But I'm glad to hear it sounds great! Destroyer of the Void was OK I think, but I never really gotten into that album. I love Furr and Wild Mountain Nation though. Maybe I need to give Destroyer of the Void more chances ;). Does the new album sound more like their earlier stuff, or is it completely different, or...?

Had no idea they even were releasing an album this year  :o
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

wolof7

Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 24, 2011, 02:47 AM

Had no idea they even were releasing an album this year  :o

They are co-headlining a tour with Dawes and their local show around Boston sold-out in a day!!! Did not know either band could sellout a midsized rock club on the East Coast, in a day no less!

- Scotty if you go to their website their albums eponymous first single is available for dl.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

headhunter

Quote from: TheBigChicken on Aug 23, 2011, 05:15 PM
Iron and Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean :thumbsup:

ah, that's a good one.  ask woodnympth.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Penny Lane

Really hard to narrow it down but if i had to pick my top 5 so far this year:

1. Middle Brother
2. Jason Isbell
3. Felice Bros
4. Dawes
5. The Low Anthem

**honorable mention Drive-by Truckers and Eilen Jewel
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjk73

Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 24, 2011, 09:50 PM
4. Dawes
I've been listening to this a lot and it is almost surpassed Frank Turner for #1 for me. Such a great album.

chaqueta sucia

it has been out for a while on the net and drops officially sept. 13th and is by far their best.........it is very country sounding with amazing harmonies and mellow overall not as much rock as past efforts but still cosmo stars weird........for me the 5 that I cannot stop spinnin would be....
1) American Goldwing-Blitzen Trapper
2) Go Go Boots-Drive by Truckers
3) Smart Flesh-The Low Anthem
4) Middle Brother-Middle Brother
5) Nine Types of Light-TV on the Radio

EasyRyder

Quote from: mjk73 on Aug 25, 2011, 10:47 AM
4. Dawes
I've been listening to this a lot and it is almost surpassed Frank Turner for #1 for me. Such a great album.

This is my number one. I can't believe I haven't heard these guys until this year...does any "modern songwriter" write better lyrics?
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

kotchishm

Quote from: capt. scotty on Aug 11, 2011, 03:19 PM

In no order yet, Id say my Top 5 is something like...

Portugal. The Man - In the Mountain In the Cloud
White Denim - D
The Sheepdogs - Learn & Burn
MMJ - Circuital
Rival Sons - Pressue & Time

not far off would be...

Cults - Cults
Felice Brothers - Ponzi
JEFF the Brotherhood - We Are The Champions

^This
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Ruckus

Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Aug 25, 2011, 11:49 AM

it has been out for a while on the net and drops officially sept. 13th and is by far their best.........it is very country sounding with amazing harmonies and mellow overall not as much rock as past efforts but still cosmo stars weird........for me the 5 that I cannot stop spinnin would be....
1) American Goldwing-Blitzen Trapper
2) Go Go Boots-Drive by Truckers
3) Smart Flesh-The Low Anthem
4) Middle Brother-Middle Brother
5) Nine Types of Light-TV on the Radio

Looking forward to hearing the new Blitzen Trapper.

Yeah my list has been turned upside over the last few months.  I actually listened to a lot of Smart Flesh this summer on the airplane.  Forgot how beautiful an album that is.  Couldn't believe that Lufthansa had the whole album under their folk/country category!

The only album that I know is a mortal lock for my top 10 is Scale the Summit - The Collective. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

chaqueta sucia

Quote from: EasyRyder on Aug 25, 2011, 12:12 PM
4. Dawes

This is my number one. I can't believe I haven't heard these guys until this year...does any "modern songwriter" write better lyrics?

I can think of a few.  Although Gouldsmith is great........Matt Vasquez of Delta Spirit imo is better as is Eric Earley of Blitzen Trapper to name two.  Also lyricists such as Scott and Seth Avett, Ian Felice, Ben Knox Miller(the low anthem) are better imo of those that are similar.  I love Nothing Is Wrong and having James Taylor and Benmont Tench help doesn't hurt, I can't get past the second verse in A Little Bit of Everything.  It takes a perfect start to a great song and sinks it with the buffet line lyrics.  Later it redeems itself some but when I play that album I feel like that song was supposed to be an epic ending and I find myself let down.  Just my thoughts.

mahg33ta

Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Aug 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
4. Dawes

I can think of a few.  Although Gouldsmith is great........Matt Vazquez of Delta Spirit imo is better as is Eric Earley of Blitzen Trapper to name two.  Also lyricists such as Scott and Seth Avett, Ian Felice, Ben Knox Miller(the low anthem) are better imo of those that are similar.  I love Nothing Is Wrong and having James Taylor and Benmont Tench help doesn't hurt, I can't get past the second verse in A Little Bit of Everything.  It takes a perfect start to a great song and sinks it with the buffet line lyrics.  Later it redeems itself some but when I play that album I feel like that song was supposed to be an epic ending and I find myself let down.  Just my thoughts.

I heard that song for the first time at Mountain Jam, and was wondering if it was supposed to be funny or silly.... didn't catch every lyric live but I was guessing it was slapstick.... but now own the album and think it's serious and as you said supposed to be epic.   

Ruckus

Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 25, 2011, 01:27 PM
Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Aug 25, 2011, 01:00 PM
4. Dawes

I can think of a few.  Although Gouldsmith is great........Matt Vazquez of Delta Spirit imo is better as is Eric Earley of Blitzen Trapper to name two.  Also lyricists such as Scott and Seth Avett, Ian Felice, Ben Knox Miller(the low anthem) are better imo of those that are similar.  I love Nothing Is Wrong and having James Taylor and Benmont Tench help doesn't hurt, I can't get past the second verse in A Little Bit of Everything.  It takes a perfect start to a great song and sinks it with the buffet line lyrics.  Later it redeems itself some but when I play that album I feel like that song was supposed to be an epic ending and I find myself let down.  Just my thoughts.

I heard that song for the first time at Mountain Jam, and was wondering if it was supposed to be funny or silly.... didn't catch every lyric live but I was guessing it was slapstick.... but now own the album and think it's serious and as you said supposed to be epic.
A little harsh no Chaqueta?  I agree about the lyrics but then again, that wouldn't be the first time Goldsmith dropped cringe worthy lyrics.  I'll actually take the buffet line over the prior verse,

It's a little bit of everything
It's the mountains it's the fog
It's the news at 6 o'clock
It's the death of my first dog
It's the angel up above me
It's the song they don't sing
It's a little bit of everything

Actually the 2nd to last line reminds me of the Goldsmith formula of singing in the negative ;) ;)

Now give me some mashed potatoes and an extra chicken wing ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Penny Lane

Matt Vasquez's hair is too Flock of Seagulls for me.

(Now, what were we talking about?)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill