The NFL Thread: 2011

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 29, 2011, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

I think we could've won with a healthy Ben, it was a close game throughout for the most part and a bad call on that field goal put it out of reach (I didn't know it was illegal to try and block a field goal, nothing indicated to me that he tried to elevate himself by leaping up on another player). San Francisco has a Super Bowl caliber D, but the Alex Smith led offense didn't impress me, with the exception of Vernon Davis.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Dec 21, 2011, 09:38 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 21, 2011, 09:29 AM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 20, 2011, 11:54 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on Dec 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
Maybe if the Steelers' players would have worked harder in the off season and been in better overall condition, they wouldn't be getting hurt so often (or in Harrison's case...being a dirty player).  ;)

Joking aside...it's week 16, EVERY team is riddled with injuries, all of them.  Part of the game.  The Steelers were outplayed last night, and subsequently lost the game.  They weren't the best team last night.  Maybe they should have suited up Bradshaw. (I keed....I keed).  Steelers fans are sensitive!  I guess I've become so insensitive to this type of jarring after a decade of being the joke of the NFC.   :thumbsup:

Thats the thing, I dont think we were outplayed which is why the loss is so frustrating.

On another note, I didnt understand our defensive gameplan at all either. I thought we figured out in the NE game that playing the DBs 10 yds off the line wasnt a good idea for our CBs. I could understand giving that kind of space to great QBs so you dont get beat deep (despite that being proven wrong vs our D), but I have no idea why that was the gameplan when SF's biggest weapon is Davis and it was highly unlikely Smith would be connecting on 30+ yard passes against our D and beat us that way.

Congrats on the win. I hope SF goes to the SB, but I dont see it happening vs a healthy Rodgers, Brees, Stafford, or Romo. They just dont have the offense to have them win that many games in a row against top QBs/offenses. It will help out a lot if they hold onto HFA and only have to play 2 games before the SB
I think there should be a breakdown of all games where a team that lost by 17 points but should have won.  That's what was soooo frustrating about the Cardinals/Steelers Super Bowl.  The Steelers didn't deserve it.  The Cardinals outplayed them but the undeserving team won and their fans should not be allowed to enjoy that victory because it was the Cardinals problems that made them lose and not the Steelers playmaking ability.

Well, that and Tom Brady got hurt that season. No doubt in my mind that if Brady was healthy the Pats would have gone to the Super Bowl and won by 17 points.

So what's Brady's excuse for not winning the Super Bowl the last 2 seasons?  ;)

capt. scotty

Maybe if the Steelers' players would have worked harder in the off season and been in better overall condition, they wouldn't be getting hurt so often (or in Harrison's case...being a dirty player).  ;)

Joking aside...it's week 16, EVERY team is riddled with injuries, all of them.  Part of the game.  The Steelers were outplayed last night, and subsequently lost the game.  They weren't the best team last night.  Maybe they should have suited up Bradshaw. (I keed....I keed).  Steelers fans are sensitive!  I guess I've become so insensitive to this type of jarring after a decade of being the joke of the NFC.   :thumbsup:

Thats the thing, I dont think we were outplayed which is why the loss is so frustrating.

On another note, I didnt understand our defensive gameplan at all either. I thought we figured out in the NE game that playing the DBs 10 yds off the line wasnt a good idea for our CBs. I could understand giving that kind of space to great QBs so you dont get beat deep (despite that being proven wrong vs our D), but I have no idea why that was the gameplan when SF's biggest weapon is Davis and it was highly unlikely Smith would be connecting on 30+ yard passes against our D and beat us that way.

Congrats on the win. I hope SF goes to the SB, but I dont see it happening vs a healthy Rodgers, Brees, Stafford, or Romo. They just dont have the offense to have them win that many games in a row against top QBs/offenses. It will help out a lot if they hold onto HFA and only have to play 2 games before the SB
I think there should be a breakdown of all games where a team that lost by 17 points but should have won.  That's what was soooo frustrating about the Cardinals/Steelers Super Bowl.  The Steelers didn't deserve it.  The Cardinals outplayed them but the undeserving team won and their fans should not be allowed to enjoy that victory because it was the Cardinals problems that made them lose and not the Steelers playmaking ability.

I didnt realize Warner had a high ankle sprain in that game, or major lower body injury that would hinder his ability to play to capacity. I realize you jest, but still.

Also, like I said before, the game was 6-3 around 40 minutes thru...Doors got blown off late with bad penalty calls and big plays due to what I said earlier- DBs playing way too far off the line
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: walterfredo on Dec 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
Capt., I totally agree with you on the niners and their likelihood of going for the long haul.  As a life long hardcore fan (I scream at the TV so loud my neighbors 3 houses away can hear it!) I know they're not going to pull it off, barring some insane luck and happenstance. It [normally] takes an elite/better than average QB to go all the way (that is unless you're Dilfer and the Ravens) to win the SB.  I've been fairly pessimistic all year, and still am to some degree.  Although, I've fully bought into their D, and you know how that goes (again, see the Dilfer/Ravens team).  Alex Smith is NOT the guy, he sucks.  He missed 2 ridiculously wide open TD passes on Monday, he's pathetic in the red zone.  But, I'm still enjoying this miraculous turn around, and it's made this season palatable to me, where as the last several years, 75% of the games I've turned off at half time while screaming profanities at the TV.  So at least my anxiety is down to a tolerable level. It would take a freaking miracle to get past the Pack.

I think they have a shot at the SB, and it would be much better if they were in the AFC, but they still are a team to contend with. Their D is definitely Top 3 this year, and their ability to force TO's somewhat counters the very good QBs they will face in the playoffs. I think the key to them going far is the defense but even moreso relies on the the redzone D, limiting to FGs, winning time of possession, etc. If SF gets down 14-21pts in the 1st half and Gore is rendered useless, it doesnt bode well against their likely opponents. If they can limit GB, NO, etc, and feed the ball to Gore and Hunter periodically, I think their chances significantly improve. And again, holding onto HFA over NO I think is pivotal for them.

Im actually rooting for DET more than any NFC, but SF is right behind them. I wouldnt mind a rematch vs SF or GB, if ya know what I mean  ;)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 22, 2011, 12:17 AM

I didnt realize Warner had a high ankle sprain in that game, or major lower body injury that would hinder his ability to play to capacity. I realize you jest, but still.

Also, like I said before, the game was 6-3 around 40 minutes thru...Doors got blown off late with bad penalty calls and big plays due to what I said earlier- DBs playing way too far off the line
;D ;D ;D
Any more excuses?  I call it the Mcnair syndrome.  We all celebrate the physical, mobile qb that can make plays  under duress and fight off would be sacks to make key plays to keep plays alive or even better, win games in the clutch.  Hooray!  The consequence of playing that way continually is to get hit after hit after hit.  That is the nature of football.  Hence, they have a shorter and more inconsistent shelf life.  What made Roethlisberger a good qb in the NFL (plus a great defense) is the reason for his early downfall.  You make excuses for him now but subjecting himself to that beating is the reason that he was successful.  That doesn't work long run.  Now the smart, accurate qbs ala Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees...they don't take hits and so don't have to make excuses.  Give and take.  He sacrificed to be good enough because he wasn't as a quick release, intelligent and accurate quarterback.  You can't have it both ways.  He's now broken and something tells me the best is behind him. 

As for Warner....KIDDING!  What if the Ravens fans continually made excuses for last year's playoff loss.  They had every reason to because they outplayed the shit out of the Steelers.  That's football.  We can all make ridiculous claims about why we should have won.  Suck it up and take it for once.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 22, 2011, 01:17 AM
Any more excuses?  I call it the Mcnair syndrome.  We all celebrate the physical, mobile qb that can make plays  under duress and fight off would be sacks to make key plays to keep plays alive or even better, win games in the clutch.  Hooray!  The consequence of playing that way continually is to get hit after hit after hit.  That is the nature of football.  Hence, they have a shorter and more inconsistent shelf life.  What made Roethlisberger a good qb in the NFL (plus a great defense) is the reason for his early downfall.  You make excuses for him now but subjecting himself to that beating is the reason that he was successful.  That doesn't work long run.  Now the smart, accurate qbs ala Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees...they don't take hits and so don't have to make excuses.  Give and take.  He sacrificed to be good enough because he wasn't as a quick release, intelligent and accurate quarterback.  You can't have it both ways.  He's now broken and something tells me the best is behind him

Seriously, youre going with that?! He has the 2nd most passing yards and 3rd most TDs of his career already this year, but he is no longer a great QB and is toast and I should prepare for his downfall  :D ;D

And saying his capacity to play was significantly limited last week and likely cost PIT a win <> making excuses for his style of play/getting injured. Indy doesnt have Manning this year, how are they doing? When Brady went down, NE still made the playoffs but I dont think they won a game there. If Brees has a broken finger, would NO have beat SF on MNF? Also, I would like to see the smart, accurate QBs play their style behind the ramshackle OL Roethlisberger has had much of his career. Rodgers is the only one that I think could survive behind it annually.

But whatever, here's to hoping he's healthy for the playoffs. Im kind of shocked theyre saying he's going to play saturday vs STL.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 22, 2011, 03:22 PM
Any more excuses?  I call it the Mcnair syndrome.  We all celebrate the physical, mobile qb that can make plays  under duress and fight off would be sacks to make key plays to keep plays alive or even better, win games in the clutch.  Hooray!  The consequence of playing that way continually is to get hit after hit after hit.  That is the nature of football.  Hence, they have a shorter and more inconsistent shelf life.  What made Roethlisberger a good qb in the NFL (plus a great defense) is the reason for his early downfall.  You make excuses for him now but subjecting himself to that beating is the reason that he was successful.  That doesn't work long run.  Now the smart, accurate qbs ala Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees...they don't take hits and so don't have to make excuses.  Give and take.  He sacrificed to be good enough because he wasn't as a quick release, intelligent and accurate quarterback.  You can't have it both ways.  He's now broken and something tells me the best is behind him

Seriously, youre going with that?! He has the 2nd most passing yards and 3rd most TDs of his career already this year, but he is no longer a great QB and is toast and I should prepare for his downfall  :D ;D

And saying his capacity to play was significantly limited last week and likely cost PIT a win <> making excuses for his style of play/getting injured. Indy doesnt have Manning this year, how are they doing? When Brady went down, NE still made the playoffs but I dont think they won a game there. If Brees has a broken finger, would NO have beat SF on MNF? Also, I would like to see the smart, accurate QBs play their style behind the ramshackle OL Roethlisberger has had much of his career. Rodgers is the only one that I think could survive behind it annually.

But whatever, here's to hoping he's healthy for the playoffs. Im kind of shocked theyre saying he's going to play saturday vs STL.

I agree with you on Ben, if Ruckus took some time to actually do some research he would see he's having a great year. It just so happens he hasn't played great in prime time this year witch is probably what he's basing it on. I would think he's a lock for the number 2 spot in the Pro Bowl this year.

Ruckus

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Dec 22, 2011, 09:00 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 22, 2011, 03:22 PM

I agree with you on Ben, if Ruckus took some time to actually do some research he would see he's having a great year. It just so happens he hasn't played great in prime time this year witch is probably what he's basing it on. I would think he's a lock for the number 2 spot in the Pro Bowl this year.
;D ;D ;D
You guys are too easy.  C'mon!  I don't do empirical research yo.  I spit knowledge from the gut.

Yeah he's got an awesome 3/2 TD/INT ratio and his QB rating is 6th lowest out of his 8 seasons played.  I get to hear it every day from my girlfriend who has Ben on one of her teams and loses her shit every week.  Primetime?  I get the Sunday Ticket and Redzone.  But hey that's not the point.  I'm not talking about numbers.  I'm talking about long term dependability and the compromise that'll need to be made in the coming years.  He won't be able to play 16 games if he keeps playing the way "BIG BEN PLAYS"  And then what is his true value.  It's like saying Marc Bulger was real good...when he played.  It's cool.  You guys love him.  I respect him.

What number does he wear anyways?  17?

EDIT:  He has become a much better pocket passer through the years and I think he still has at least a few good years left in him.  I'm just not sure he can stay healthy and if he does, it will be because he had to change his style of play. 

Tracy 2112

5,087!

A great night to be a Saints fan!

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Good stuff Tracy.  An opposing quarterback that I have no problem rooting for.

Back to figuring out how the Jets will acquire Peyton Manning

Jon T.

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 29, 2011, 11:39 AM

Well.... according to an interview earlier this week, Rexy said Sanchez is his guy and he would not take any other QB in the league over him - including Manning.  ::)

Ruckus

Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 29, 2011, 11:51 AM

Well.... according to an interview earlier this week, Rexy said Sanchez is his guy and he would not take any other QB in the league over him - including Manning.  ::)
I mean would you?  The only other qb I'd take over Sanchez right now is a healthy Big Ben.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 29, 2011, 03:34 PM

I mean would you?  The only other qb I'd take over Sanchez right now is a healthy Big Ben.

yep. A healthy Rolthiesleburger. I hear that if he plays this weekend against the Browns that the line will jump from 7 to 17 (if he is healthy). Or is it 24?

an unhelthy Rothliesesbergerer (-17; actually prolly more like 17 Over)

a healthy Batch is plus 7

this is a young Charlie Batch from his college days at eastern MiChigan. He sort of looks like tone-loc

ManNamedTruth

I would take almost half of the league's starting QB's over Sanchez. 

Jon T.

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Dec 30, 2011, 12:51 AM

I would take almost half of the league's starting QB's over Sanchez.

Poppycock!

Ruckus

Should be a fun weekend eh guys?

So I've been sleeping with my stuffed Tebow doll, the one where he has a halo.  I got him positioned right now where he is stuffing his cotton balls in my Roethlisberger voodoo doll's face as he puts needles in Big Ben's ankle.  There's some really weird energy flowing through my doll collection right now.

Currently:

Houston -3
New Orleans -10.5
Giants -3
Steelers -9

Any thoughts?  I find all the lines to be rather tough so I think I'll stay away from all of them.

If I had to choose, I may lean towards all the favorites.  No clue

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 06, 2012, 08:26 AM

So I've been sleeping with my stuffed Tebow doll, the one where he has a halo.  I got him positioned right now where he is stuffing his cotton balls in my Roethlisberger voodoo doll's face as he puts needles in Big Ben's ankle.  There's some really weird energy flowing through my doll collection right now.

Currently:

Houston -3
New Orleans -10.5
Giants -3
Steelers -9

Any thoughts?  I find all the lines to be rather tough so I think I'll stay away from all of them.

You can reroute the energy in your doll collection with a nice lavender spray from Target or burn Oreo cookies (make sure the white part gets burned too b/c you don't want to release just the Yin, it would be catastrophic and I can guarantee your Chi would suffer and get all out of whack; maybe even wiggity). We Saints fans always work the dolls:

I think the 2 upsets could be in Houston and NY. The Giants have been either good or bad this year and the Texans are, well, the Texans (but so are the Bungles). I think the Steelers are favored by 9 b/c the Broncos probably won't score. I was suprised to see the Saints at 10.5 but if they get rolling early I think the Lions will fold with all the young blood on their team. We need to put 6 guys on Megatron (I love that guy!). Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers...

A little more on the Bungles-Texans game. This just sort of came to me while I was cleaning the kitchen last night: Though the Bengals and Texans have played only six times, Cincinnati's rivalry against teams from Houston spans 62 games. The total includes 57 meetings between the Bengals and the Oilers (now Tennessee Titans). Those 57 games were split evenly, 28-28-1. The Bengals' combined record against Houston teams is 31-31-1, including a 1990 playoff game won by the Bengals 41-14, which is the franchise's last postseason win.

This will be the 15th postseason game in Bengals history and the fifth road game. The Bengals are 6-8 overall and 0-4 in road games but this will be the first road game since Jan. 13, 1991, when they lost 20-10 to the Los Angeles Raiders. The Bengals' other playoff road games were losses to the Colts (1970), Dolphins ('73) and Raiders (in Oakland in '75).

Rudi Johnson's 43 rushing attempts against the Texans in 2003 is a Bengals record. It is tied for the second-most carries in NFL history and tied for the most carries in a non-overtime game. The only player with more carries was Washington's Jamie Morris, who rushed 45 times in an overtime game against the Bengals on Dec. 17, 1988. Johnson had 183 yards in that game, which was won by the Bengals 34-27.

In 2002 at Houston, cornerback Artrell Hawkins returned an interception 102 yards for a TD. That's tied for the longest play in team history. Louis Breeden had a 102-yard interception return at San Diego in 1981 and Eric Bieniemy had a 102-yard kickoff return at the N.Y. Giants in 1997.

Andy Dalton is the 10th rookie quarterback to lead his team to the playoffs.

In wild-card round games, they are 3-3.

Marvin Lewis, in his ninth season as head coach, has risen to third in the NFL in longest current tenure with one team. He trails only Andy Reid of Philadelphia (13th season) and Bill Belichick of New England (12th).

Jon T.

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 06, 2012, 09:49 AM

Currently:

Houston -3
New Orleans -10.5
Giants -3
Steelers -9

You can reroute the energy in your doll collection with a nice lavender spray from Target or burn Oreo cookies (make sure the white part gets burned too b/c you don't want to release just the Yin, it would be catastrophic and I can guarantee your Chi would suffer and get all out of whack; maybe even wiggity). We Saints fans always work the dolls:

I think the 2 upsets could be in Houston and NY. The Giants have been either good or bad this year and the Texans are, well, the Texans (but so are the Bungles). I think the Steelers are favored by 9 b/c the Broncos probably won't score. I was suprised to see the Saints at 10.5 but if they get rolling early I think the Lions will fold with all the young blood on their team. We need to put 6 guys on Megatron (I love that guy!). Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers...

A little more on the Bungles-Texans game. This just sort of came to me while I was cleaning the kitchen last night: Though the Bengals and Texans have played only six times, Cincinnati's rivalry against teams from Houston spans 62 games. The total includes 57 meetings between the Bengals and the Oilers (now Tennessee Titans). Those 57 games were split evenly, 28-28-1. The Bengals' combined record against Houston teams is 31-31-1, including a 1990 playoff game won by the Bengals 41-14, which is the franchise's last postseason win.

This will be the 15th postseason game in Bengals history and the fifth road game. The Bengals are 6-8 overall and 0-4 in road games but this will be the first road game since Jan. 13, 1991, when they lost 20-10 to the Los Angeles Raiders. The Bengals' other playoff road games were losses to the Colts (1970), Dolphins ('73) and Raiders (in Oakland in '75).

Rudi Johnson's 43 rushing attempts against the Texans in 2003 is a Bengals record. It is tied for the second-most carries in NFL history and tied for the most carries in a non-overtime game. The only player with more carries was Washington's Jamie Morris, who rushed 45 times in an overtime game against the Bengals on Dec. 17, 1988. Johnson had 183 yards in that game, which was won by the Bengals 34-27.

In 2002 at Houston, cornerback Artrell Hawkins returned an interception 102 yards for a TD. That's tied for the longest play in team history. Louis Breeden had a 102-yard interception return at San Diego in 1981 and Eric Bieniemy had a 102-yard kickoff return at the N.Y. Giants in 1997.

Marvin Lewis, in his ninth season as head coach, has risen to third in the NFL in longest current tenure with one team. He trails only Andy Reid of Philadelphia (13th season) and Bill Belichick of New England (12th).

You failed to mention that  in the opening game of the 2010 season, Arian Foster became the first Houston Texans player ever to rush for more than 200 yards in a game.  He finished the game with 33 carries for 231 yards and three touchdowns.

Looks like you ned to brush up on your facts!   ;D

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jon T. on Jan 06, 2012, 10:05 AM

Currently:

Houston -3
New Orleans -10.5
Giants -3
Steelers -9

You failed to mention that  in the opening game of the 2010 season, Arian Foster became the first Houston Texans player ever to rush for more than 200 yards in a game.  He finished the game with 33 carries for 231 yards and three touchdowns.

Sorry, I was just spitting from the gut

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 06, 2012, 10:13 AM
Quote from: Jon T. on Jan 06, 2012, 10:05 AM

Currently:

Houston -3
New Orleans -10.5
Giants -3
Steelers -9

Sorry, I was just spitting from the gut
Marvin Lewis looks more like Charlie Batch than George Washington Carver

Sidenote - I actually worked the Fox stat truck at a Texans/Redskins game.  I was responsible for live updates of YAC and turnovers and any other odd stat.  Got in on the TV that it was the 1st Redskins game ever where two RB's went over a hundred yards in the same game.  DOn't even know if that was true.  Ladell Betts and Kenny Watson.  That's right, they picked up social workers off the street like me and put me in the stat truck.  That is some intense, high energy work!  I had to sit in the trunk of a Jeep Cherokee so we could race Steve Tasker and Don Criqui to the train station in DC on time after the game.  They got a raging police escort.  Criqui was a dick but Tasker actually apologized to me for having to sit in the trunk.