The NFL Thread: 2011

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 29, 2011, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjk73

Now that Teblow and Rodgers have been unceremoniously booted from the playoffs, can ESPN stop riding their dicks? I'm so sick of hearing about both. I really cannot stand either. I have a life long hatred of Green Bay anyway so whoever is their QB by law I will hate.

Tracy 2112

OK, nearly 2 days later, some clarity around the Pierre Thomas hit:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmhWl382ktP4W0jlacWC0l9DubYF?slug=ap-saints-thomashit

And as we saw yesterday when Umenyiora was called for a blow to the head on Rodgers (one of the worst BS calls I have ever seen), a lot of this depends on how the ref "sees" it.

No sour grapes though, the Saints had their chance and just didn't bring their A game.

Here's to the G-Men and Ravens this Sunday!
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

pawpaw

I'm stoked for Niner fans. That was a phenomenal win after some lean years, and now they get to host the Championship Game. It'll be interesting to see how Alex Smith proceeds from here - he's been a goat for so long, but after a good season and two career-defining, playoff drives, we'll see if he can continue his success, and also find out what his legacy as a Niner will end up being. ESPN would've loved making endless Smith/Rodgers comparisons if the Packers had won their game, would've filled a whole week of programming with them.  ;D

SF/NYG should be a great game!

Is there another Harbaugh brother that the Raiders can hire? Damn...Their mom must be proud!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

My Morning Tube top

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 15, 2012, 01:07 AM
A good day for Pat's fans but the win was damn near embarrassing.  Look forward to seeing who's next.  Tough one for you Saints fans.  An amazing final 4 minutes.

It was a great day Johnny! Ravens batting up next. I feel a possible 18-1 Payback Giant's Superbowl. One game at a time of course but.... ;D

lil sis

Quote from: joey_rogo on Jan 15, 2012, 08:23 PM
giants fan here.

FUCK YES

Oh hello!  Great time to be a Giants fan!  What an amazing game.  I still can't believe they nailed that hail mary.  My dog was afraid of me and hiding in a corner from all of the screaming going on.  My neighbors must hate me lol.
"There's still time for you to change your mind or whatever else you do."

ericm

Quote from: lil sis on Jan 16, 2012, 04:55 PM
Quote from: joey_rogo on Jan 15, 2012, 08:23 PM
giants fan here.

FUCK YES

Oh hello!  Great time to be a Giants fan!  What an amazing game.  I still can't believe they nailed that hail mary.  My dog was afraid of me and hiding in a corner from all of the screaming going on.  My neighbors must hate me lol.

Haha.

We had my son's place rocking pretty good too. I'm glad it's the only house on the block people live in all year round, cause we would've had some po'd neighbors. Joint was jumping!

We had a chance to go to the game, but passed because we're both real superstitious when it comes to our sports teams.  :D We had to be exactly where we were when they won the Atlanta game. Same friends,food, drinks, Jerseys,baloons, you name it.....  ;D  I wanted to host next week but no way are we changing anything!! ;)

Here's hoping we get to rock that house two more times!!  :beer:

GOOOOO  GIANTS!!
"Where's Jim going?"

walterfredo

what's with all these giants fanners around here? May the G-men experience a long and depressing flight back home Sunday night.   ;)

I'll be trying for tix on Wednesday, it will not be an easy task.

iLikeBeer

As a Cowboys fan I pretty much hate whomever the representative from the NFC will be.  And growing up south of Cleveland, I'm not the biggest Ravens fan either.  As a Michigan fan, it won't be hard at all to pull for Tom Brady and the Pats to bring home Brady's fourth ring!!!   :beer:

ericm

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 16, 2012, 06:01 PM
what's with all these giants fanners around here? May the G-men experience a long and depressing flight back home Sunday night.   ;)

Good luck on the ticket trying Walter. That's the only luck I'll be wishing you this week though!  ;D
"Where's Jim going?"

Tracy 2112

Got a good Ole Miss battle this weekend in the Bay:

Ruckus

What an odd and at times crazy thrilling weekend of football.  I'm sorry bout the Saints Trace, Nova and Sassbox.  I was rooting for them but ya gotta be happy for them Niners as well.  I love Patrick Willis.  Congrats Walter!  Yeah, we all noticed how Pierre Thomas was out cold on impact as the play happened, pretty scary stuff.  I've never read the rule book but the announcers always mention how once you become a ball carrier, helmet to helmet is all good.  Thanks for posting the details of that rule.  I knew that was a legit hit but what about the helmet to helmet that Alex Smith took on the next possession, I think by Roman Harper though not sure.  It was never mentioned and if that was Brees, Rodgers, Brady, etc., that's an automatic flag.   What a finish!  All those TO's on the road and the Saints still nearly pulled it out. :o

As for the Giants/Packers, the Giants just earned it.  I feel bad for Rodgers who played his guts out and receivers just flat out failed him.  That was the worst hail mary defense ever, though I understand that the Packers had to defend the quick out as well in the event that the Giants were trying to get into field goal range.  On the great play by Umenyiora causing the fumble on Rodgers, good thing or that was 6 points for the Pack.  Overall, the front 4 didn't wreak as much havoc on Rodgers as I expected but the Giants D was still money.  I'm just glad the Hakeem Nicks has gotten the pub he deserves as the best Giants receiver after being overshadowed by little salsa for much of the season.

And for all those folks who think the Pats/Ravens is a slam dunk, I'd be hesitant.  The Ravens never look pretty but they were 6-0 against playoff teams this year (Steelers, Niners, Bengals and Texans).  The Pats were 1-2 with losses against the Giants and Steelers and their lone win against the Broncos.  I'd also argue that this Ravens team is more balanced and experienced than the one that showed up in Foxboro 2 years ago.  Sure the Patriots can blow anyone out at home but I know the line was set at around 7 instead of 4 solely based on this past weekend's performances.  I believe Flacco will surprise some people with his ability to move the ball in the air this coming weekend. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 16, 2012, 10:35 PM
And for all those folks who think the Pats/Ravens is a slam dunk, I'd be hesitant.  The Ravens never look pretty but they were 6-0 against playoff teams this year (Steelers, Niners, Bengals and Texans).  The Pats were 1-2 with losses against the Giants and Steelers and their lone win against the Broncos.  I'd also argue that this Ravens team is more balanced and experienced than the one that showed up in Foxboro 2 years ago.  Sure the Patriots can blow anyone out at home but I know the line was set at around 7 instead of 4 solely based on this past weekend's performances.  I believe Flacco will surprise some people with his ability to move the ball in the air this coming weekend.

I am with you on this home skillet. Who did New England beat all year?

Look for Torrey Smith to have a career day against a suspect Patsy secondary, #31 in the NFL this year (1 behind the Saints and next to the Pack for last).

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 16, 2012, 11:56 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 16, 2012, 10:35 PM

I am with you on this home skillet. Who did New England beat all year?

Look for Torrey Smith to have a career day against a suspect Patsy secondary, #31 in the NFL this year (1 behind the Saints and next to the Pack for last).

Yeah, it's pretty crazy to think that you win 12 games and only one came against a playoff team, one that many would argue was the worst team to make the playoffs.  The Ravens have been a Jekyll and Hyde team on the road this year, going only 4-4.  I think both teams will be able to move the ball and that the Ravens will hit a big play or two down the field.  Most important will be obviously pressuring Brady  and whether the Ravens can keep the Pats, particularly Gronk, out of the end zone.  You know they will move the ball between the 20s at will.  Ravens do have a tall, long corner in Jimmy Smith and fast linebackers in McClain and Ellerbe.  It'll be curious to see how they try to bracket Gronk or if they'll just play straight up.

Crispy

Quote from: youngjohn12 on Jan 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
my special elephants were going to spank some bitches this period.  their preventive range looks like it just got out of jail after 10years.  nothing more frightening than a number of enormous dark-colored folks with no wish other than bursting you.  if stafford doesn't separate we could create it to the superbowl.
Sticky, did someone slip you some bad acid?
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

e_wind

I see the Ravens losing to the Giants in the Superbowl.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ericm

Any luck Walter?  I saw they were gone on TM, but there's a lot of tix on the ticket exchange site. Of course it might take selling a kidney to buy a pair.  ;)  Well, they're actually not THAT high, but I saw some in the $400.00 range!
"Where's Jim going?"

walterfredo

Quote from: ericm on Jan 18, 2012, 07:10 PM

Any luck Walter?  I saw they were gone on TM, but there's a lot of tix on the ticket exchange site. Of course it might take selling a kidney to buy a pair.  ;)  Well, they're actually not THAT high, but I saw some in the $400.00 range!

no luck.  I actually realized my son has baseball tryouts on Sunday so I wouldn't be going to the game anyhow, but I did try for a buddy.  Just like the week before I was on it the second it struck 1 pm and there was nothing. 

capt. scotty

The NFL fan in me is hoping for a G-Men/Cheaters rematch, but Im expecting a NYG/BAL Super Bowl come tomorrow. Alex Smith is doing his best Eli impression, but I dont see him pulling it off again, and as great as SF D has been this year, I think the NYG D is playing even better right now.

AFC is more of a wild card, Patriots just seem like a paper champion though.

And despite them being in the same division, Id rather see the Ravens advance than the Patsies. I respect Baltimore much more than the Cheaters.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 22, 2012, 03:41 AM
The NFL fan in me is hoping for a G-Men/Cheaters rematch, but Im expecting a NYG/BAL Super Bowl come tomorrow. Alex Smith is doing his best Eli impression, but I dont see him pulling it off again, and as great as SF D has been this year, I think the NYG D is playing even better right now.

AFC is more of a wild card, Patriots just seem like a paper champion though.

And despite them being in the same division, Id rather see the Ravens advance than the Patsies. I respect Baltimore much more than the Cheaters.
I definitely agree that I like both road dogs today in close games though I'd like to see a HarBowl.

ericm

"Where's Jim going?"