The NFL Thread: 2011

Started by capt. scotty, Apr 29, 2011, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

johnnYYac

ericm

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 02, 2012, 02:57 PM
:)

You know I'm just bustin' John. I couldn't resist the dig!  ;)

I like Belichick a lot, going back to his days on the Giants staff. If they weren't playing the G-Men, I'd be pulling for them. There's no Giant - Pats rivalry, imo. Definitely not like the Yankee -  Red Sox one, that's for sure.

"Where's Jim going?"

johnnYYac

Quote from: ericm on Feb 02, 2012, 04:39 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 02, 2012, 02:57 PM
:)

You know I'm just bustin' John. I couldn't resist the dig!  ;)

I like Belichick a lot, going back to his days on the Giants staff. If they weren't playing the G-Men, I'd be pulling for them. There's no Giant - Pats rivalry, imo. Definitely not like the Yankee -  Red Sox one, that's for sure.
Its all good.  I predict either the Patriots or the Giants will win.  I will, and forever shall remain, a Patriots fan, so I have my hopes for a 4th ring in 11 years, but I don't bet money on football.  Any given Sunday.  Should be a good game.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 23, 2012, 10:43 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 23, 2012, 03:44 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 23, 2012, 11:49 AM
New England sports fans suffer a lot for our occasional moments of glory. 

::)

Every major sports franchise in New England has won a title in the past 10 years, with the Pats and Sox winning multiple. Maybe if you posted this in 1999...

You guys win  A LOT so that's why people hate. People hate the Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys; it's just part of it. People don't really hate the Saints b/c we have 1 title in 45 years. And we got Katrina sympathy.

However, I agree with you on the "cheaters" thing; that's old and needs to go away. The Pats didn't cheat to reach dynasty status.
I hear you.  I'm thinking back to my formative years, the 70s and 80s, where only the Celtics were bringing much glory to New England.  The Pats in '86 embarrassed themselves in the Superbowl against Chicago, Buckner blew it for the Sox that same year, I believe.  So, I feel like we, as fans, stuck with the shit long enough to enjoy what is happening with the Pats.  Believe me, during those years we hated the dynasty teams, so I suppose I understand and shouldn't complain.  And I feel the pain Saints fans have gone through.  This forum is lousy with NY and Pitt fans, so NE is bound to get some hate, I suppose.
C'mon Johnny ;D  Color me jealous.  Why do you seek respect?  All you guys do is win.  What more do you want?  Of course fans are gonna give you shit.  That's the fun of sports.  When you compound the Patriots success with Brady's All American pretty boy thingy and Bellichick being a total douche (in our minds), that's a perfect recipe for hatin' for non Pats fans.  It's like a Yankee fan complaining about not getting respect while shoving Jeter and Arod in your face every year.  In my close to 34 years of existence, neither my football team nor baseball team have made their respective championship finals so yes, I will roll my eyes at the long suffering of New England fans. ;D  Also, this team is virtually a new team from the Matt Cassell 11-5 team except for Wilfork, Brady, Mayo, Gostkowski, Law Firm and a few others.  How are your new Uggs for men treating you? ;)

Even if the Saints had three Super Bowls over the last decade, I wouldn't hate as much because of course they aren't my division rival but also just because Brees and Payton are just more likable.

This Super Bowl is My Personal Hell II.  As the lesser of two evils, just as last time, I'll be rooting for the Giants. :embarassed:

In the famous words of Ozzy Guillen:

Ozzie Guillen "Psh Please"

Try being a Cleveland fan and then you'll learn all about what it's like to be longsuffering fans.   

TEO

Previous threats from right to work opponents (that passed this week) have said they will cease threats to block entrances to Lucas with bodies and trucks. SO much security around this could have really turned ugly Sunday. crazylove's assignation of greeter last evening took her to a hotel that was filled with FBI agents 20 miles from the venue. Hope everything is smooth with no disruption...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Taterbug

Quote from: TEO on Feb 03, 2012, 05:04 PM
Previous threats from right to work opponents (that passed this week) have said they will cease threats to block entrances to Lucas with bodies and trucks. SO much security around this could have really turned ugly Sunday. crazylove's assignation of greeter last evening took her to a hotel that was filled with FBI agents 20 miles from the venue. Hope everything is smooth with no disruption...

Just watchout for those expoding manhole covers.   I heard they spent a couple hundred grand to replace the ones downtown.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Ruckus

That was an incredible game and I'm glad I bet the GMen.  You just knew going in it would be a close game coming down to the last possession.  While Welker and others take the blame, Mr. Brady gets a pass again?  As some of you here know, one of my biggest pet peeves is the term "rookie mistake" because of how conveniently it is used while veterans never make dumb mistakes.  Freshman and rookies have been playing football their whole lives.   You don't just forget.  I say this because Brady made a horrible "rookie mistake" yesterday.  His throw to nobody on the first play of the game had as great an impact on the game as Welker's drop.  It just wasn't as prominent in our memories.  GREAT GAME!

ManNamedTruth

I thought it was a good game, definitely not as epic as Super Bowl 42 (42 and 43 being the best SB's in recent years). I think Brady definitely missed on a lot of those throws in the fourth quarter, you can't really blame the receivers (Gisele). He straight up missed on that throw to Welker, he was wide open and that throw was on Welker's back shoulder and he really had to stretch to make a play on it. One of Hernandez's drops was the only one that stuck out as bad. Obviously the INT and the intentional grounding were poor decisions. I thought that was a good call, I don't see the controversy there. Agree with you on that ruckus, shouldn't matter if the ball was deep down the middle, there just wasn't anyone nearby. All in all I'm happy with the outcome, I hate the Pats and the Giants are probably the only NY team I don't hate. I'm an Eli fan and all but what's with ESPN declaring him HOF bound? I didn't hear any of that after Ben's second Super Bowl.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

iLikeBeer

Brady's 3 Super Bowl rings are why he gets the benefit of the doubt more often than not.  And I would argue that on that intentional grounding, one of those receivers should have broken deep so that there could have been a receiver in the vicinity (Branch). 

Giselle's comments are what is making this a bigger deal than it should be. Who really cares what she has to say? Tom Brady would NEVER throw his receivers under the bus.  That was his girlfriend doing that!  Big difference! 

And spare me about the throw being off to Welker.  He had TWO hands on the football.  He is an elite receiver and elite receivers make those plays.  He was WIDE open and there wasn't a defender within a couple of yards of him.  Yes, the throw could have been a little better, but Welker needs to make that catch.  Look at the catch Super Mario made.  He had 2 defenders all over him and the sideline to deal with and he still made the catch.  Manningham's catch was far more difficult of a catch than the one Welker dropped.

Tracy 2112

The Patriots had numerous chances to sew that game up and failed along the way. The ball was literally bouncing (2 fumbles) the Giants' way, as it does sometimes. Also, I am a big Eli fan, since he went to Ole Miss, but I am going to need a little more regular season majic (9-7?) before handing him a yellow jacket. The Manning name gets him HOF nods while Rothliesbeger's name doesn't and the fact he had the 2 sexual assault charges, plus the Steelers beat the Seahawks and Cards for their wins, not the mighty Patriots.

Not digging all the Welker hate. How about the Patriots try to get the right number of players on the field (the overturned fumble in the red zone), ya know? Start with the basics? Yes, he "should" have made the catch, but still it was a hard catch and the ball thrown behind him. It definently wasn't a drop in the league of Jackie Smith:

Jackie Smith
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 07, 2012, 10:24 AM
It definently wasn't a drop in the league of Jackie Smith:

Jackie Smith

Thanks for bringing that one up again...  :dankk2:

Ruckus

Why is nothing ever Brady's fault ILB?   Unless it is a designed call ' are receivers supposed to break deep when your qb is in trouble near or in the end zone?  Of course Welker should have made that catch but it was one play.  What it did was expose Welker for what he is.  A short, short armed receiver with poor in air body control.  Sure he's great at catching 5yd ins and outs from the slot from Brady.  Manning had no picks.  Brady threw the under throw pick to Chase Blackburn.  They barely make it to the Super Bowl and then have to hear reasons why they lost to a better all around team.  It annoys the hell out of me.

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 07, 2012, 10:24 AM
The Patriots had numerous chances to sew that game up and failed along the way. The ball was literally bouncing (2 fumbles) the Giants' way, as it does sometimes. Also, I am a big Eli fan, since he went to Ole Miss, but I am going to need a little more regular season majic (9-7?) before handing him a yellow jacket. The Manning name gets him HOF nods while Rothliesbeger's name doesn't and the fact he had the 2 sexual assault charges, plus the Steelers beat the Seahawks and Cards for their wins, not the mighty Patriots.

Not digging all the Welker hate. How about the Patriots try to get the right number of players on the field (the overturned fumble in the red zone), ya know? Start with the basics? Yes, he "should" have made the catch, but still it was a hard catch and the ball thrown behind him. It definently wasn't a drop in the league of Jackie Smith:

Jackie Smith

You said "assault charges" when I think you meant "allegations". And if the Cardinals and Seahawks weren't good enough for you then another team should've beaten them. And as it turned out Steelers vs. Cardinals made for a great SB. Seems like you're always trying to diminish our Super Bowls because we didn't have to play the Pats or we only had to play the Seahawks.

iLikeBeer

I'm not trying to make excuses as to why the Pats lost.  I can admit that the Giants were the better team and I was questioning why Vegas even had the Pats as favorites considering how well the Giants have owned the Pats of late and how well the Giants had been playing since, basically the last 4 weeks of the regular season.

I guess I just find it humorous and am quite puzzled by the amount of hatred fans outside of New England show to Tom Brady.  I mean, you hate him because he wins or because he has a hot wife?  It's not like this guy has just had everything handed to him.  He's had to work his ass off to get to where he is.  Remember he was a freaking 6th round draft pick?

Frankly, I'm damn impressed with what Tom Brady has accomplished in going from a little known 6th round draft pick who had to fight his ass of just to share starting time with a true freshman his sr. year at Michigan, to being on a short list of the greatest QB's to ever play the game.  Guess that's just me though...

ManNamedTruth

I hate him because of this.

Ruckus

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Feb 07, 2012, 02:07 PM
I'm not trying to make excuses as to why the Pats lost.  I can admit that the Giants were the better team and I was questioning why Vegas even had the Pats as favorites considering how well the Giants have owned the Pats of late and how well the Giants had been playing since, basically the last 4 weeks of the regular season.

I guess I just find it humorous and am quite puzzled by the amount of hatred fans outside of New England show to Tom Brady.  I mean, you hate him because he wins or because he has a hot wife?  It's not like this guy has just had everything handed to him.  He's had to work his ass off to get to where he is.  Remember he was a freaking 6th round draft pick?

Frankly, I'm damn impressed with what Tom Brady has accomplished in going from a little known 6th round draft pick who had to fight his ass of just to share starting time with a true freshman his sr. year at Michigan, to being on a short list of the greatest QB's to ever play the game.  Guess that's just me though...
I knew I was forgetting something!   You're a Michigan guy!  I'm sure you'd be showering him with adulation if Brady was a Buckeye (Penny cringes).

I don't hate the guy at all.  In fact I respect him a great deal but feel that he's gotten too much credit through the years, just like Brett Favre and Troy Aikman.  He won his three Super Bowls with great teams with a defense, running game, a Mr. Vinatieri and the tuck rule.  He's but deserves blame as well sometimes.  His career Super Bowl numbers are OK .  He's very much the football Derek Jeter but better.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Feb 07, 2012, 01:49 PM
You said "assault charges" when I think you meant "allegations". And if the Cardinals and Seahawks weren't good enough for you then another team should've beaten them. And as it turned out Steelers vs. Cardinals made for a great SB. Seems like you're always trying to diminish our Super Bowls because we didn't have to play the Pats or we only had to play the Seahawks.

Yeah, my bad; "accusations" of sexual assault, one of which he just settled out of court. Seems like a great guy...  :-\  You were asking why no one gave Roth. his props and I am simply telling you why: Brady, Manning(s), Brees, Rodgers, ALL class acts and they represent the NFL in a respectable way. Roethisberger is a bum with 2 rings and the NFL knows it. That's the bottom line.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

j_rud

MVP! MVP! MVP!

Got this and a load more this morning at the parade...anyone else make it?
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?