NCAA Football 2007-2008

Started by AngryEwok, Aug 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkoehler

The degree says YES! Not that I'm actually using the degree other then a monthly reminder that partying in college bites you in the ass down the rode.  ::) ;D

megisnotreal

for me, it was something i just grew up with. 80% of my family members have graduated from the ua and are hardcore fanatics. i guess i am such a big bama fan b/c that's how i spent the most time with my grandfather (who was like a dad to me). football is a secular religion in the south. you're just, like, born into it or something.

after i have lived in t-town for a year, i plan on transferring all my credits and getting a degree from the ua.

i'm just glad none of my family went to auburn.... what???  :o

ycartrob

QuoteI'm wondering how many of you actually went to the schools you support? Just curious with no malice intended.

Ole Miss fan here, my whole life; graduated from there and everything. Not really a bandwagon school...

I am a fan of the SEC and will usually pull for SEC teams out of conference. LSU would be my second favorite b/c of my New Orleans roots (even though my dad went to Tulane  ). Even though living in Nashville makes me pull for Vanderbilt (and I would pull for Vandy over LSU), [size=16]so make Vanderbilt my 2nd favorite! [/size]

Jaimoe

I pull for Syracuse since that hellhole town is located within a 2-hour drive of my hometown (Kingston Ontario) and we get most of their TV affiliates, save for PBS and CBS, which are from Watertown NY. Everyone in my hometown is a 'Cuse fan, but mostly for Orange basketball. I've lived in Toronto for 15 years and people here are all over the map with their allegiances (which is funny if you consider Canadians cheering for American colleges). Because of the proximity to Michigan and New York, a lot of Torontonians cheer for Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame and Syracuse, but NCAA basketball is a bigger draw.

primushead

QuoteI'm wondering how many of you actually went to the schools you support? Just curious with no malice intended.

I graduated from Appalachian State, so I support them all the way.  

I've also been brought up on UNC sports (especially hoops) my whole life, and have had lots of friends go there.  My grandpa, sister, uncle, and cousin have also graduated from there.  I would've liked to go there, but the school seemed too big for me.

aMD

I went to a school that didn't have a football team so I have adopted a few teams.  I was born in Ohio so I root for Ohio State. I was closer to Cincy than Columbus so I also root for UC although they have done everything to disenfranchise me.  I also root for Purdue because my grandfather and aunt went there.  My Dad went to Miami of Ohio so I root for them and I've lived in Louisville for ten years (wow is it really that long) so I root for them.  My love for OSU and Purdue have made me a Big Ten man.

bowl of soup

QuoteI think Corey's point is that if a bigger named program ranked #2 had gone to Rutgers, they would have won. If Auburn, LSU, Ohio St., USC, etc... is ranked #2 and they go to Rutgers (Rutgers folks) they win.

Plus, blaming the refs for losing to Rutgers (Rutgers) is not a move that a class program's fan would make. You lose to Rutgers at Rutgers, then you don't deserve to be #2. Blaming the refs for losing to Rutgers is silly. I was pulling for USF and the receiver pushed off, it was pretty obvious.

Come on USF fan, you can do better than that!

Me and you don't play well together.  My point was that Rutgers is a good team.  They were last year and they were highly regarded again this year before suffering a couple of tough loses.  They can still win the Big East and end up in a BCS game, so a loss to Rugers is nothing to be ashamed of - this ain't your Daddy's Rurgers. It's a better loss than say a loss to Florida State or Georgia for example.  

I'd take Rurgers against any team you list.  You do recall that USC lost to Stanford, LSU lost to Kentucky, Auburn lost to !USF!, and Ohio State plays in the Big Ten, correct?

Obvious push off???!!!  You were obviously drinking more than me.  I guess you were a fan of that horific illegal forward pass call negating the touchdown in the first half too?

No takers on the Outside the Lines episode, huh?
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

aMD

I just wanted to remind everyone that [size=18]THE Ohio State Buckeyes are #1[/size]

ycartrob

Obvious push off???!!!  You were obviously drinking more than me.  

2 refs called it a push off.

The guy announcing the game on ESPN said during the slow-mo replay, "And it looked like he didn't need to push off b/c the defender was already going in the opposite direction".

I was rooting for USF and I thought it was a push off.

yet USF fan says it was a blown call? That's suprising...

Point being, big name programs don't blame officials for making the correct call. Every game will have bad calls, that just wasn't one of them.

The reason USF lost is b/c Grothe got sacked 7 times for minus 60 yards. I'm not sure USF blocked anyone in the 4th quarter. Plus, 2-14 on 3rd down?

I was pulling hard for USF last Thursday, probably the hardest I have ever pulled for a college team out of Tampa, and they let me down.

It hurts.

But if it makes you feel better, I think this USF fan could use a little company, he speaks your language:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWFUGmVOnI

primushead

QuoteI just wanted to remind everyone that [size=18]THE Ohio State Buckeyes are #1[/size]

Yeah yeah.  But, come on, they haven't played a team ranked in the top 20 yet.  Purdue was their most highly ranked opponent this season, and they were 23 at the time (if I remember correctly).  

I'm not saying they aren't national title contenders, but they haven't really gotten their cleats broken in yet.  You know?  

And again, I'm emphasizing that I'm not putting OSU down, I'm just really looking forward to see how they do against a top tier team.

aMD

yeah, but they've beat everyone easily.  They haven't played any top tier teams, but they've made mince meat of the teams that were supposed to give them a game.  they have tough opponents for the rest of the season.  it'll be interesting to see how far they fall if they do get a loss, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

primushead

Agreed.  I was just over at espn.com checking up on their schedule again and here are the results from the first few games:

09/01 YSU W 38-6
09/08 Akron W 20-2
09/15 at Washington W 33-14
09/22 N'western W 58-7
09/29 at Minnesota W 30-7
10/06 at #23 Purdue W 23-7
10/13 Kent St W 48-3
10/20 Mich St W 24-17

You've gotta give 'em credit for 'making mince meat' of traditional powerhouses like Akron, Northwestern and Kent State.  ::)

And, yeah, they beat Purdue by more than two TD's, but when I was watching the Michigan State game last weekend, they really didn't look that solid (towards the end anyway, they were blowing them out in the first half).  

You've gotta admit their schedule has been pretty "blah" so far.  So, who is their defining rival for the rest of the season?  

10/27 at #25 Penn State 8:00 PM
11/03 Wisconsin TBD
11/10 Illinois TBD
11/17 at #20 Michigan 12:00 PM

There are some major hurtles to jump over for sure.  All BCS standings aside, these are very solid teams and should give OSU a run for their money.  I'll be able to make better judgement about this Buckeye team after watching them play Penn St. and Wisconsin.  If they do well agains those teams, I'll be way less skeptical in my next post ;)

aMD

Say what you will but you can't deny that they have not been beaten and that's something 115 of the 119 D-1 schools can say.  I have a feeling these arguments are going to be rehashed when we are discussing who "deserves" to be in the "national championship game" so i'll spare you for now.

Angry Ewok

I've attended classes at the University of Alabama, but my fanaticism comes more from living here in Tuscaloosa most of my life. Both of my parents have worked for the U of A, and the school has treated them very well. It's a great establishment, with a beautiful campus and stadium, and of course the football tradition is unrivaled. I don't really have any "second bests" - I bleed crimson, as they say.

Regarding Ohio State... With what little I have seen, I haven't been impressed. I admit that I'm extremely biased, though, since I watch SEC Football. I'll go out on a limb and say that outside of the Ohio State fandom, you probably won't find many people making a case for Buckeyes being in the #1 spot for any other reason than their being undefeated. The tail end of the schedule should take care of that, though.

Back to Alabama...

I'm still holding onto my 8-4 prediction, which includes a loss to #1 LSU and #20-something Auburn. If Bama beats LSU, though, all they need is a win against Mississippi State or Auburn to be the SEC East Division champs. Several teams have proven LSU is very mortal, and the coaching is suspect to say the least, so all a sudden the "Saban Bowl" has taken on a much bigger importance. The winner of Alabama v. LSU will determine who goes to Atlanta.

That's amazing, to me, that Alabama's "transition year" could include a shot at the SEC Title (presumably against Florida).

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

I went to Mizzou and many times wish I would have followed the 18 year program.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ycartrob

QuoteI went to Mizzou and many times wish I would have followed the 18 year program.

I did that. I graduated from high school in 82, got my
undergraduate in 98.

And you know what? When you make a 0.00 your freshman year,
and go back to the same college 14 years later, your ass is still
on probation! For 2 semesters, I was pulling 3.6's and 3.8's, getting
on the President's list, but still on probation b/c my cumulative was
below a 2.

life...

here's the young kid now with the 0.00 and the uncanny ability to
drink until a couple dawns down the road

sweatboard

As Dylan (AMD) might say - It looks like someone poked you in the eye....both eyes?
There's Still Time.........

EAZYE

I have a piece of paper that says I gave huge sums of money to the University of Oklahoma.
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

megisnotreal

I'm not saying they aren't national title contenders, but they haven't really gotten their cleats broken in yet.  You know?  

;D

mjkoehler

QuoteI went to Mizzou and many times wish I would have followed the 18 year program.

What, you didn't enroll in the 6 year plan? A certain "family member" of mine who frequents this board, who shall remain nameless for fear that I would incrimenate myself in past disgressions (ok that was a lousy way of trying to say moi), took the fine folks of the Nebraska educational system up on a 6 year plan where your first year you clouded in a haze of beer, malted milk balls, bong resin, strippers, and such. All before you decide that you might want to attend a class or 2. And you Major in Game Room at the Student Center.