NCAA Football 2007-2008

Started by AngryEwok, Aug 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

QuoteThe Big 12 has three teams in the top 10 ;)

Make that the top 6! ;)

Damn I wish Alabama would have held on in that game.  I'd be saying three teams in the top 5 if they had.  Now I have to hope that two of the top three lose another game.  And of course, Mizzou has to take care of business the rest of the way which is certainly no easy task.   This sure is fun.  I must say, I am the first person to vote for a playoff system, believe me.  But if there was a playoff, a lot of this bull shit we are talking would go away.  And it's kind of fun. :)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

QuoteThe Big 12 has three teams in the top 10 ;)

MJ I'm sorry brother, giving up 76 to Kansas has got to hurt :-/

That was just brutal. What the hell is going on this year? Kansas and MO both in the top ten with a strong possiblity that Kansas could play OSU in the BSC game, Notre Dame sucks beyong belief (not that I'm complaining about this one), some school from Florida that I've never heard of was an early contender, Michigan isn't that great (again, not complaining much on this one), and teams are bouncing around the standings with the frequency of a cheap hand radio. This is the craziest year I can ever remember.

bowl of soup

QuoteI hope LSU takes on Ohio State, too.

The Buckeyes are winless against SEC teams in bowl games.

You should see the score comparison... pretty sick.

0 - 8 to be percise.  Mostly blow-outs.  I'm no SEC fan (I will continually harp that the ACC gets too little football love; maybe not this year), but my guess is that the ole SEC will do just fine come bowl season.  The point about out-of conference games is instructive though, not only the lack of wins, but the lack of games.  Schedule somebody allready!

My adopted USF has come back to earth, but even they beat Auburn at Auburn.  They've been trying to get Florida to play them for years, but Florida would rather continue their important rivalry with Western Carolina.

And sorry, but the Big Ten is overrated in every sport every year.  Appalachian State?  North Dakota State?  So yes, Ohio State will again play for the fake championship this year and they will lose to the whatever PAC 10 or SEC team that is still standing.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

megisnotreal

So yes, Ohio State will again play for the fake championship this year and they will lose to the whatever PAC 10 or SEC team that is still standing.

;D

BH

I will almost guarantee that one of the two teams playing in the championship game will be a Big 12 team.  I base this on remainging strength of schedule and the fact that it's almost inevitable that either OU, MU, or KU will win the rest of their games.  So when it is all said and done, whoever that team is will be the best one loss (or less) team available.  This is based on the fact that I think LSU's and Oregon's SOS will go down over the next couple of games.  I could be wrong.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Three more days and I can get rid of drunk Tony.

<-------

bowl of soup

QuoteThree more days and I can get rid of drunk Tony.

<-------

Are you under some kind of court order?  I can help you find a loophole pro bono if you need.  I like your Big 12 hypothesis, but Mizzou and Kansas play each other in what amounts to an emilination game at the end of the season and then there's that pesky Big 12 Championship game.  So at least 2 of the 3 are gone.  Colorado is a bad loss for Oklahoma.  If Kansas runs the table - maybe.  If Mizzou runs the table and redeems their 1 loss by beating OK the championship - maybe.  I have a harder time with making the case for OK, they need to run the table and get help.

BH

QuoteThree more days and I can get rid of drunk Tony.

<-------

So at least 2 of the 3 are gone.  

But that my friend is exactly the point.  2 of the 3 are guaranteed gone, but it all but guarantees that one is not!  See what I mean?

I lost a Cardinals/Cubs bet to Rugbird and it was for 30 days of avatar chosen by the other person.  I thought it was going to be a Cubs logo, but rugbird cleverly stuck me with Tony at his worst moment.

aMD

And sorry, but the Big Ten is overrated in every sport every year.  

That's a pretty big statement.  I'd like to see what USF would do against Appalachian State (talk about underrated) but you'll never hear me say a positive thing about michigan.  ;)

btw, though OSU's head-to-head record against the SEC is piss poor, let's not forget that they have way more national championship then just about anyone.  so if you wanna talk history we can go all day.  starting with that "fake" national championship they WON in 2002...

sure, we had some bad out-of-conference losses this year but at least we had SOME wins.  What did the SEC have, one? So why are the 3-loss SEC teams ranked and the Big Ten's not?  Purdue has three losses, against #1 Ohio State, @ #12 Michigan, and @ #24 Penn State and they are somehow ranked behind NINE SEC teams including four-loss South Carolina.  I agree that most years the Big Ten gets the benefit of the doubt but this year they are getting the shaft because they were dubbed "down" early.  probably because of Michigan (I could've told you they suck!)

EAZYE

QuoteI will almost guarantee that one of the two teams playing in the championship game will be a Big 12 team.  I base this on remainging strength of schedule and the fact that it's almost inevitable that either OU, MU, or KU will win the rest of their games.  So when it is all said and done, whoever that team is will be the best one loss (or less) team available.  This is based on the fact that I think LSU's and Oregon's SOS will go down over the next couple of games.  I could be wrong.

If Mizzou runs the table that means they've beaten the #4 and #5 teams in the polls in the last two weeks of the season, helping their chances to get into the title game.  Same thing for Kansas and they will be undefeated.  Granted I think if OU runs the table they will still need some help.  

Does anyone else think it's kind of shitty that the Big 10 and the Pac 10 don't play conference championship games? :-/

If Ohio State doesn't slip up before the BCS title game I predict they get their ass handed to them again by whoever they play!
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

ycartrob

Does anyone else think it's kind of shitty that the Big 10 and the Pac 10 don't play conference championship games? :-/

the whole system sux and it's only a matter of time until a playoff system is implemented.

EAZYE

the whole system sux and it's only a matter of time until a playoff system is implemented.

Tracy, are you for a plus one system or an eight team playoff?
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

ycartrob

Tracy, are you for a plus one system or an eight team playoff?

I'm for an 8 team playoff. There is no other major college sport that has a plus one system (much less a championship game picked by pollsters). You get rid of one of those bogus games that add up to a practice game (you know, the ones against the schools you never heard of?), you get rid of the conference championship game (which is only played for more money for the conference), and you're done by the first week of January. Teams would schedule up (like in NCAA basketball; no more cake walks b/c strenghth of schedule matters more). It's a win-win-win except for the old money folks that want to keep ti as it is. Can you imagine the match-ups if it started next week?

#1 Ohio St vs #8 Boston College
#2 LSU vs #7 West Virginia
#3 Oregon vs. #6 Missouri
#4 Kansas vs. # 5 Oklahoma

with possible second round games:

Ohio St vs Oklahoma
LSU vs Oregon

and finally

Oregon vs Oklahoma for the real National Championship

(or just mix and match your wishful upsets!)

BH

Are these games played at neutral sites?  Keep the bowl designations using the top seven bowls for the games rotating the championship?   Does BCS still decide the top eight?  

What do you think about taking a conference "champion" from eight different conferences.  SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12, ACC, Big East, Mtn West and WAC.  This would require us to throw the Sun Belt, Mid Am and Conf USA out of Division One but that's alright with me.  Force Notre Dame to join the Big Ten.  Just a thought.  A stretch, but I think it would be interesting.

The DARK

QuoteAre these games played at neutral sites?  Keep the bowl designations using the top seven bowls for the games rotating the championship?   Does BCS still decide the top eight?  

What do you think about taking a conference "champion" from eight different conferences.  SEC, Big 10, Pac 10, Big 12, ACC, Big East, Mtn West and WAC.  This would require us to throw the Sun Belt, Mid Am and Conf USA out of Division One but that's alright with me.  Force Notre Dame to join the Big Ten.  Just a thought.  A stretch, but I think it would be interesting.

Don't quite think that would work. Supposing the SEC dominated one year and they only get one entry? I say keep the traditional Bowl matchups for the first round (Pac-10 champ vs Big 10 champ in Rose Bowl, ACC champ vs Big 12 champ in Orange Bowl, SEC champ in Sugar Bowl), with at-larges filling in the remaining spots. That way we can keep the bowl system for teams that don't make it in, but still make it possible for every team to make it in.
In another time, in another place, in another face

ycartrob

QuoteAre these games played at neutral sites?  Keep the bowl designations using the top seven bowls for the games rotating the championship?   Does BCS still decide the top eight?  

I'd stick with the BCS picking the top 8. I'd would have hated to see Boise St left out last year if there was a playoff. I'd say neutral sites, starting with like the Cotton Bowl, Chik-Fil-A (old Peach bowl), Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, then move on to the Rose and Sugar, then pick a brand new bowl for the championship game.

bowl of soup

And sorry, but the Big Ten is overrated in every sport every year.  

That's a pretty big statement.  I'd like to see what USF would do against Appalachian State (talk about underrated) but you'll never hear me say a positive thing about michigan.  ;)

btw, though OSU's head-to-head record against the SEC is piss poor, let's not forget that they have way more national championship then just about anyone.  so if you wanna talk history we can go all day.  starting with that "fake" national championship they WON in 2002...

sure, we had some bad out-of-conference losses this year but at least we had SOME wins.  What did the SEC have, one? So why are the 3-loss SEC teams ranked and the Big Ten's not?  Purdue has three losses, against #1 Ohio State, @ #12 Michigan, and @ #24 Penn State and they are somehow ranked behind NINE SEC teams including four-loss South Carolina.  I agree that most years the Big Ten gets the benefit of the doubt but this year they are getting the shaft because they were dubbed "down" early.  probably because of Michigan (I could've told you they suck!)

I'd like to formally thank the Big Ten for supporting me and my big mouth.  The basketball season had just tipped and:

Findlay 80 - Ohio State 78
Grand Valley State 85 - Michigan State 82 (MSU was the preseason pick to win the conference and ranked 8th).

1 week, 2 Division II loses.

bowl of soup

I like keep the bowls, winners of the big 4 play in national semis, winners there play for the title.  6 big conference winners get in with 2 wild cards picked from the rest by computers.

ycartrob

I'd like to formally thank the Big Ten for supporting me and my big mouth.  The basketball season had just tipped and:

Grand Valley State 85 - Michigan State 82 (MSU was the preseason pick to win the conference and ranked 8th).

exhibition games; they don't count and most teams play like they don't count  :-/

bowl of soup

exhibition games; they don't count and most teams play like they don't count  :-/

The bench sitters for Big Ten teams play these games hard for playing time later in the season.  Even the last guy on MSU's bench is a highly touted prospect that had scholarship offers from all over.  So exhibition or not, these losses are indicative of overall quality.  That being said, Kentucky got smoked by Gardner Webb last night in a real game.  They are Division I, but barely - that was a short honeymoon Mr. Gillispie.